Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > concierge

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
concierge

Hi expats, 

Just wanted to know...is it customary to tip the concierge at Christmas?

Thanks

The text you are quoting:

Hi expats, 

Thanks

MoniGVA GDec 22, 12 11:44
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

12 Replies | 413 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: concierge
Post 1

Hi expats, 

Thanks

Dec 22, 12 11:44

Probably

Probably

sheila c, Dec 22, 12 12:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

if you appreciate your concierge and the work he does, yeah, it's customary.

if you appreciate your concierge and the work he does, yeah, it's customary.

bertrand hubert r, Dec 22, 12 13:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Yes, I do. Very much. Thanks Bertrand

Yes, I do. Very much. Thanks Bertrand

MoniGVA G, Dec 22, 12 13:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Yes, if you feel he or she has done a good job, been helpful, etc.

However, the time to do it is New Year, preferably before the 31st but any time in the first week  of the New Year will also be OK.

I usually give a gift voucher (Migros, Coop or Manor) together with a greetings card.

Best wishes,

Ritchie

Yes, if you feel he or she has done a good job, been helpful, etc.

However, the time to do it is New Year, preferably before the 31st but any time in the first week  of the New Year will also be OK.

I usually give a gift voucher (Migros, Coop or Manor) together with a greetings card.

Best wishes,

Ritchie

Ritchie, Dec 22, 12 13:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Bringing a bottle of whisky back with me for mine.  Our relationship has improved since I threaetned to puncture his tyres if he parked in my bay again

Bringing a bottle of whisky back with me for mine.  Our relationship has improved since I threaetned to puncture his tyres if he parked in my bay again

Paul E, Dec 22, 12 21:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

May I know what is the right amt to tip (only stayed here since July but he has fixed a couple of things for me when I first moved in), but at the order of the regie of course, since he speaks only French and I write in English to the regie...  I come from a country where concierges are only from hotels.

May I know what is the right amt to tip (only stayed here since July but he has fixed a couple of things for me when I first moved in), but at the order of the regie of course, since he speaks only French and I write in English to the regie...  I come from a country where concierges are only from hotels.

Ping L, Dec 22, 12 23:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Dec 22, 12 23:59

In view of what you say, I don’t think you need to give a lot, so why not offer a box of nice chocolates or a bottle of good wine this year.  You can give more next year if he and/or his wife have been helpful.

A concierge is called a caretaker in the UK.  There, and wherever else I’ve lived in the world, it is the custom to show some token of appreciation for his services at this time of year.  Don’t you do that in your country?

Equally, if you want good service from Reception in a hotel, a little something slid over the counter goes a long way.

All the best, R.

In view of what you say, I don’t think you need to give a lot, so why not offer a box of nice chocolates or a bottle of good wine this year.  You can give more next year if he and/or his wife have been helpful.

A concierge is called a caretaker in the UK.  There, and wherever else I’ve lived in the world, it is the custom to show some token of appreciation for his services at this time of year.  Don’t you do that in your country?

Equally, if you want good service from Reception in a hotel, a little something slid over the counter goes a long way.

All the best, R.

Ritchie, Dec 23, 12 09:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

I learned that i had an appartment 10 years ago in Geneva. I just couldnt get any hello or Concierge to talk my mail during holidays. But on Xmas I offered a bottle of wine and thanked the concierge and his wife for keeping the stair, elevator, and enterance clean. Next spring he said next time give him the key to the mail box and he will take care.

I learned that i had an appartment 10 years ago in Geneva. I just couldnt get any hello or Concierge to talk my mail during holidays. But on Xmas I offered a bottle of wine and thanked the concierge and his wife for keeping the stair, elevator, and enterance clean. Next spring he said next time give him the key to the mail box and he will take care.

Dave G, Dec 23, 12 16:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

We don't give our consierge anything. Covered them for two weeks during summer with no thanks, despite them telling us they would bring us back wine, and other things from Portugal for us for covering ...

Most of us aren't happy with them, and I am now completely fed up so will be letting the regie know about the state of the place in the New Year. 

However, if you have a nice consierge, definitely worth a little thanks

We don't give our consierge anything. Covered them for two weeks during summer with no thanks, despite them telling us they would bring us back wine, and other things from Portugal for us for covering ...

Most of us aren't happy with them, and I am now completely fed up so will be letting the regie know about the state of the place in the New Year. 

Chris T, Dec 29, 12 16:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Dec 29, 12 16:57

I’ve lived in a building with poor caretaker service so can sympathize with your situation and wish you luck in reporting it to the Régie.  Perhaps you’ll let us know what transpires.

R.

I’ve lived in a building with poor caretaker service so can sympathize with your situation and wish you luck in reporting it to the Régie.  Perhaps you’ll let us know what transpires.

R.

Ritchie, Dec 29, 12 18:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

I don't see any reason why I would give the concierge in my building anything. He does his job, he say hello when we meet, comment on the weather sometmes and that's about the extent of our relationship. I would feel awkward to even propose anything. I would be surprisedif anyone in my building does differently.

I don't see any reason why I would give the concierge in my building anything. He does his job, he say hello when we meet, comment on the weather sometmes and that's about the extent of our relationship. I would feel awkward to even propose anything. I would be surprisedif anyone in my building does differently.

catalin, Dec 29, 12 19:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Moni asked if it is customary in Geneva to offer something to the concierge at New Year and the answer is “yes, it is”.  This was explained to me when I first arrived and I’ve followed the practice ever since.

I also give something to the cleaning lady, the hairdresser, the postman, Uncle Tom Cobbley and all.  It may cost a small bomb but the dividends can be worth it.

All the best, R.

Moni asked if it is customary in Geneva to offer something to the concierge at New Year and the answer is “yes, it is”.  This was explained to me when I first arrived and I’ve followed the practice ever since.

I also give something to the cleaning lady, the hairdresser, the postman, Uncle Tom Cobbley and all.  It may cost a small bomb but the dividends can be worth it.

All the best, R.

Ritchie, Dec 29, 12 20:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
12 Replies | 413 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form