Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > housing problem in Geneva and surrounding areas??

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
housing problem in Geneva and surrounding areas??

I just cant believe its been 6 months and Ive been floating from temporary rental homes to the next. Why is it so hard to rent a room here!!?? is there a big housing crisis going on? In my current place now I have to leave by 10th september as the landlord of this place is changing hands to another owner so all us tennants have to leave. Now I am back to square one again, and all I see online is people looking for rooms not offering them. And the ones being offered are insanely expensive and not at all in mine or any normal working class price range!! Ive tried most sites like air b nb , easy room, we room,.... is there anything else I could try? anyone who could help like the city council? I am at my wits end on all this. 

Please help. 

The text you are quoting:

I just cant believe its been 6 months and Ive been floating from temporary rental homes to the next. Why is it so hard to rent a room here!!?? is there a big housing crisis going on? In my current place now I have to leave by 10th september as the landlord of this place is changing hands to another owner so all us tennants have to leave. Now I am back to square one again, and all I see online is people looking for rooms not offering them. And the ones being offered are insanely expensive and not at all in mine or any normal working class price range!! Ive tried most sites like air b nb , easy room, we room,.... is there anything else I could try? anyone who could help like the city council? I am at my wits end on all this. 

Please help. 

Julie PAug 17, 2016 @ 22:01
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

17 Replies | 1682 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: housing problem in Geneva and surrounding areas??
Post 1

Please help. 

Aug 17, 16 22:01

Very sorry to disillusion you, but you can forget about the “city council”.

Even born-and-bred Genevans who pay their full whack of taxes, albeit

on a low wage, have to queue to get on the ladder for subsidized accommodation.

Housing is in short supply and expensive.  Always has been, probably always will be.

Very sorry to disillusion you, but you can forget about the “city council”.

Even born-and-bred Genevans who pay their full whack of taxes, albeit

on a low wage, have to queue to get on the ladder for subsidized accommodation.

Housing is in short supply and expensive.  Always has been, probably always will be.

Ritchie, Aug 17, 2016 @ 22:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Yes, it is a typical problem for Geneve, it has been like that for a long time.

Demand is high. Besides Geneve is one of the most expensive locations globally. The town is tiny with 170K citizens so you may also look outside as a solution.

City Council is providing locas with lower income housing at a reduced price. So they do try to deal with the matter but as a "temporary resident" you should not expect them to solve your problem.

My regie is a good one: http://www.wohnung.ch/ Have a look at theis sites.

Try this as an interim solution or look at getting a Permit G and move to France as a cheaper alternative.

http://www.shresidence.ch/location/

Yes, it is a typical problem for Geneve, it has been like that for a long time.

Demand is high. Besides Geneve is one of the most expensive locations globally. The town is tiny with 170K citizens so you may also look outside as a solution.

City Council is providing locas with lower income housing at a reduced price. So they do try to deal with the matter but as a "temporary resident" you should not expect them to solve your problem.

My regie is a good one: http://www.wohnung.ch/ Have a look at theis sites.

Try this as an interim solution or look at getting a Permit G and move to France as a cheaper alternative.

http://www.shresidence.ch/location/

Reka Y, Aug 17, 2016 @ 22:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

It is worsened by people subletting and people with decent jobs and pay subletting to make an extra buck. While this situation does provide temperory solutions to people here on short term contracts as its easier to sublet than get it from the regi. This also drives up the market due to some greedy bunt wanting to make money of their rental. For exaple person X has a rental property that they have been renting for 10 years for 1000, they will illegally sublet it for 1500 or more thereby takeing the opportunity away from someone to rent this place at a fair price. So its a combination of availability and greed. 

It is worsened by people subletting and people with decent jobs and pay subletting to make an extra buck. While this situation does provide temperory solutions to people here on short term contracts as its easier to sublet than get it from the regi. This also drives up the market due to some greedy bunt wanting to make money of their rental. For exaple person X has a rental property that they have been renting for 10 years for 1000, they will illegally sublet it for 1500 or more thereby takeing the opportunity away from someone to rent this place at a fair price. So its a combination of availability and greed. 

V N, Aug 18, 2016 @ 00:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Very negative vibes thanks 

Julie P, Aug 18, 2016 @ 00:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Aug 18, 16 00:48

Aimed at richies comment

Aimed at richies comment

Julie P, Aug 18, 2016 @ 00:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Aug 18, 16 00:39

Greed and money hungry so unfair now it all makes sense thanks for your input 

Julie P, Aug 18, 2016 @ 00:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Everyone keeps talking about how hard it is to find accommodation here, and I just wanted to offer some encouragement:

I subletted for three months when I arrived and have just moved into a place. I believe it is a question of luck, being willing to compromise on what exactly you're looking for and checking what's available every day. Sometimes visiting a place where you don't find the ad to be exactly what you're looking for can hide a gem. I was very fortunate to have a relocation agency helping me but there are places out there! You just have to be lucky and grateful when you are :)

To be fair, I don't think Ritchie's comment was at all negative, it was just shining some realism on the housing market in Geneva. The housing is in high demand, and the Regie select who they wish to live in the property from what I've understood. I would suggest including as much information as possible in your file to give them comfort....and bonne chance! Don't give up, it's worth it in the end!

:)

Everyone keeps talking about how hard it is to find accommodation here, and I just wanted to offer some encouragement:

I subletted for three months when I arrived and have just moved into a place. I believe it is a question of luck, being willing to compromise on what exactly you're looking for and checking what's available every day. Sometimes visiting a place where you don't find the ad to be exactly what you're looking for can hide a gem. I was very fortunate to have a relocation agency helping me but there are places out there! You just have to be lucky and grateful when you are :)

To be fair, I don't think Ritchie's comment was at all negative, it was just shining some realism on the housing market in Geneva. The housing is in high demand, and the Regie select who they wish to live in the property from what I've understood. I would suggest including as much information as possible in your file to give them comfort....and bonne chance! Don't give up, it's worth it in the end!

:)

ISABELLE M, Aug 18, 2016 @ 02:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

You can also set up an email alert on homegate.ch so you are notified daily of new advertisements on the basis of your criteria

You can also set up an email alert on homegate.ch so you are notified daily of new advertisements on the basis of your criteria

ISABELLE M, Aug 18, 2016 @ 02:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Aug 18, 16 00:50

Looking at your profile: teaching privately and au pair, it makes sense why you may not qualify for housing on your own.

Maybe you should look at getting a standard job and then you would have more chances. Regies might think that you are too risky - not having any job security and in case of loosing your job, becoming a problem.

Most au-pairs I have come across have been living in a studio rented by their family or the family gave a guarantee towards the regie. Maybe you should talk to them?

You have to be realistic that there are many people with standard employment who are looking to move in somewhere and in comparison your file may not be competitive enough unfortunately.

Looking at your profile: teaching privately and au pair, it makes sense why you may not qualify for housing on your own.

Maybe you should look at getting a standard job and then you would have more chances. Regies might think that you are too risky - not having any job security and in case of loosing your job, becoming a problem.

Most au-pairs I have come across have been living in a studio rented by their family or the family gave a guarantee towards the regie. Maybe you should talk to them?

You have to be realistic that there are many people with standard employment who are looking to move in somewhere and in comparison your file may not be competitive enough unfortunately.

Reka Y, Aug 18, 2016 @ 12:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Social housing has huge waiting times even for the _swiss_, realistically, it's not an option...

Longer term rentals also tend to expect proof of longer term employment...

The housing situation gets better after the French border, of course.

Social housing has huge waiting times even for the _swiss_, realistically, it's not an option...

Longer term rentals also tend to expect proof of longer term employment...

The housing situation gets better after the French border, of course.

Paul D, Aug 18, 2016 @ 12:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

https://www.facebook.com/groups/132683256821749/

You can also find a lot of people advertising housing.

I could not agree more to Paul`s comment. In France it will be much easier for you to find something. You need to compromise a bit.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/132683256821749/

You can also find a lot of people advertising housing.

I could not agree more to Paul`s comment. In France it will be much easier for you to find something. You need to compromise a bit.

Reka Y, Aug 18, 2016 @ 12:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Aimed at richies comment

Aug 18, 16 00:49

She has told you as it is. Unfortunately the regies and the landlords are mini gods in Geneva. They choose what they want. If you have illegal sublet situations then it is normal that the person can decide to change availability when he wants to.

She has told you as it is. Unfortunately the regies and the landlords are mini gods in Geneva. They choose what they want. If you have illegal sublet situations then it is normal that the person can decide to change availability when he wants to.

Marcy S, Aug 18, 2016 @ 14:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

I suggest you to find a place in nearby France (e.g. Ferney, Prevessing, Annemasse). There it is like everywhere in the civilized world: You find an apartment you like, you agree on a contract with the landlord, sign it, done.

It is cheaper, more value for money and less stressful.

That's at least my experience.

Good luck!

I suggest you to find a place in nearby France (e.g. Ferney, Prevessing, Annemasse). There it is like everywhere in the civilized world: You find an apartment you like, you agree on a contract with the landlord, sign it, done.

It is cheaper, more value for money and less stressful.

That's at least my experience.

Good luck!

Michael N, Aug 23, 2016 @ 17:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

Housing is a massive scam here. Profiting pretty much only the siwss and the rich. (Those who own houses, or have lived in them for many many years).

You need a list of things to apply through a regie, and you may be against upto 100 people. You can tick all the boxes, but still get turned down for many many regies.

If you have a short term contract, a lowish salary, or struggle to get together 3 months for a deposit, then you will really need to look hard. Luckily you are not a single male!

They leave the situation like this because it benefits them so greatly.

Why would the state and regies change their system? Why dismantle the golden egg laying goose? Most regies only work ~5hours a day, a job where you have complete power, dont have to chase for clients, and can often be bought off.

BUT unfortunately until they grow some kind of conscience, things are as Richie has said. Unfortunately you just have to make do, look over the border, or lower standards.

Its pretty ridiculous, completely unregulated, and the same apartment can be 1000CHF or 3000CHF, because landlords (or renters who sublet) know that they will almost always find someone willing to pay.

don't be disheartened if only by the fact that this is common problem for a lot of expats.

Housing is a massive scam here. Profiting pretty much only the siwss and the rich. (Those who own houses, or have lived in them for many many years).

You need a list of things to apply through a regie, and you may be against upto 100 people. You can tick all the boxes, but still get turned down for many many regies.

If you have a short term contract, a lowish salary, or struggle to get together 3 months for a deposit, then you will really need to look hard. Luckily you are not a single male!

Why would the state and regies change their system? Why dismantle the golden egg laying goose? Most regies only work ~5hours a day, a job where you have complete power, dont have to chase for clients, and can often be bought off.

BUT unfortunately until they grow some kind of conscience, things are as Richie has said. Unfortunately you just have to make do, look over the border, or lower standards.

Its pretty ridiculous, completely unregulated, and the same apartment can be 1000CHF or 3000CHF, because landlords (or renters who sublet) know that they will almost always find someone willing to pay.

don't be disheartened if only by the fact that this is common problem for a lot of expats.

Farzam F, Aug 23, 2016 @ 19:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

Aug 23, 16 19:23

... It’s also a common problem for native Swiss and Genevans on poorly paid and even low middle- class incomes.

There are thousands out there who live in cramped accommodation, especially young adults, single parents and the elderly.

Geneva’s golden pavements are only accessible to a selected few – and I, dear Julie, am not a member of that elite!  

... It’s also a common problem for native Swiss and Genevans on poorly paid and even low middle- class incomes.

There are thousands out there who live in cramped accommodation, especially young adults, single parents and the elderly.

Geneva’s golden pavements are only accessible to a selected few – and I, dear Julie, am not a member of that elite!  

Ritchie, Aug 23, 2016 @ 20:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

Didnt ask you to stalk my profile there Reka... And I am a certified teacher actually so you dont have to tell me what is best. For your information, I am just taking a year out this year to try au pair work, need a break from working at schools. I am very happy with my life thank you and have been having an amazing time for many years seeing the world meeting incredible open minded, free spirited people who arent judgemental like yourself. 

Didnt ask you to stalk my profile there Reka... And I am a certified teacher actually so you dont have to tell me what is best. For your information, I am just taking a year out this year to try au pair work, need a break from working at schools. I am very happy with my life thank you and have been having an amazing time for many years seeing the world meeting incredible open minded, free spirited people who arent judgemental like yourself. 

Julie P, Aug 23, 2016 @ 21:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

Hi. I am not sure if this is in your price range (did not read all the thread) but I came across this ad today. If interested, I suggest you call ASAP. Good luck.

http://www.anibis.ch/fr/immobilier-immobilier-locations-gen%C3%A8ve--418/chambre-meubl%C3%A9e-dans-une-colocation--15681864.aspx

Hi. I am not sure if this is in your price range (did not read all the thread) but I came across this ad today. If interested, I suggest you call ASAP. Good luck.

http://www.anibis.ch/fr/immobilier-immobilier-locations-gen%C3%A8ve--418/chambre-meubl%C3%A9e-dans-une-colocation--15681864.aspx

Verbier, Aug 24, 2016 @ 14:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
17 Replies | 1682 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form