Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > seriously, CHF100 for an easy handyman job??

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
seriously, CHF100 for an easy handyman job??

I reached out to a handyman on Glocals since I need some help to replace a old ceiling lamp with a new lamp in my apartment. A friend of mine already has some bad experience with a guy who actually required 1 1/2 hours to install one single lamp (fun fact: the guy didn't even bring a ladder). So I knew who NOT to contact. 

Now, the guy I reached out to charges 45CHF for a simple light fixture but excluding materials and parking (!). On top I pay 40CHF call-out fee. So let's round it up to 100CHF. A 100CHF for installing a ceiling lamp? 

I understand that everything is more expensive in Geneva / Switzerland however this price is not justifiable. Or am I wrong? 

The text you are quoting:

I reached out to a handyman on Glocals since I need some help to replace a old ceiling lamp with a new lamp in my apartment. A friend of mine already has some bad experience with a guy who actually required 1 1/2 hours to install one single lamp (fun fact: the guy didn't even bring a ladder). So I knew who NOT to contact. 

Now, the guy I reached out to charges 45CHF for a simple light fixture but excluding materials and parking (!). On top I pay 40CHF call-out fee. So let's round it up to 100CHF. A 100CHF for installing a ceiling lamp? 

I understand that everything is more expensive in Geneva / Switzerland however this price is not justifiable. Or am I wrong? 

Manfred RJun 22, 2015 @ 17:30
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

35 Replies | 7064 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: seriously, CHF100 for an easy handyman job??
Post 1

Manfred - I take it you have never ever tried installing a ceiling lamp ?? I am a handyman and believe me these fixtures can take forever - you never know what you are going to strike when going to put it up as most Swiss ceilings are concrete for a start and then clients will buy a lamp from IKea without really thinking about how it is going to hang etc etc... I actually had to give up doing a job for one client after an hour and a half of trying many different ways to hang just one lamp (and she had 6 of them !!) I didn;t charge her of course but beleive me it isn't as simple as you may think. (PS I don't charge a call out fee but if I have to travel out of Geneva I will charge travelling time)

Manfred - I take it you have never ever tried installing a ceiling lamp ?? I am a handyman and believe me these fixtures can take forever - you never know what you are going to strike when going to put it up as most Swiss ceilings are concrete for a start and then clients will buy a lamp from IKea without really thinking about how it is going to hang etc etc... I actually had to give up doing a job for one client after an hour and a half of trying many different ways to hang just one lamp (and she had 6 of them !!) I didn;t charge her of course but beleive me it isn't as simple as you may think. (PS I don't charge a call out fee but if I have to travel out of Geneva I will charge travelling time)

Jeffery S, Jun 22, 2015 @ 18:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

By way of info, I’ve been asked by two different firms – a locksmith and a cooking-stove retailer – to pay CHF 100 for the call-out fee.  They both claimed that it was the going rate in Geneva and this was a year or two ago.

R.

By way of info, I’ve been asked by two different firms – a locksmith and a cooking-stove retailer – to pay CHF 100 for the call-out fee.  They both claimed that it was the going rate in Geneva and this was a year or two ago.

R.

Ritchie, Jun 22, 2015 @ 18:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

one more reason why people should invest in some tools and lear how to do stuff.....

one more reason why people should invest in some tools and lear how to do stuff.....

V N, Jun 22, 2015 @ 20:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Jun 22, 15 20:25

Exactly what I did - mind you being raised on a farm helped. Another point to consider is the unrealistic customer who thinks any job should be no more than half an hour and paying over 50 chf is over the top...

Exactly what I did - mind you being raised on a farm helped. Another point to consider is the unrealistic customer who thinks any job should be no more than half an hour and paying over 50 chf is over the top...

Jeffery S, Jun 22, 2015 @ 20:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Jun 22, 15 20:25

A very commendable comment for the hale, hearty nd deft, but what about those who aren’t so gifted?

And when it comes to electrics, woe betide you if something goes wrong in your rented accommodation.  The régie will not be pleased.  

A very commendable comment for the hale, hearty nd deft, but what about those who aren’t so gifted?

And when it comes to electrics, woe betide you if something goes wrong in your rented accommodation.  The régie will not be pleased.  

Ritchie, Jun 22, 2015 @ 20:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Jeffery - thank you for your comment and helpful perspective.

Now, I do believe that we don't have to indirectly blame anyone for not having the skills of dealing with wires. Yes, I could use my toolbox (I do have one) and try to do it myself. However, it may take me much longer and I honestly don't like to spend my limited free time on a borrowed ladder. For the very same reason I pay a cleaning lady to take care of my apartment once week though I know how to clean my apartment. 

And to be fair, I received already messages from other people who actually got a very similar job done for CHF 40 to CHF 50 all included. 

Cheers,
Manfred

Now, I do believe that we don't have to indirectly blame anyone for not having the skills of dealing with wires. Yes, I could use my toolbox (I do have one) and try to do it myself. However, it may take me much longer and I honestly don't like to spend my limited free time on a borrowed ladder. For the very same reason I pay a cleaning lady to take care of my apartment once week though I know how to clean my apartment. 

And to be fair, I received already messages from other people who actually got a very similar job done for CHF 40 to CHF 50 all included. 

Cheers,
Manfred

Manfred R, Jun 22, 2015 @ 21:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Fair enough Manfred - I understand. I personally never touch anything electrical given I am not a qualified electrician and any errors on my part could be extremely costly !

Fair enough Manfred - I understand. I personally never touch anything electrical given I am not a qualified electrician and any errors on my part could be extremely costly !

Jeffery S, Jun 22, 2015 @ 21:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Hi guys,

Friend of mine is professional electricien. He charges small amount, tried him for installation of washing machine and cooker, hanging lamps. He was very efficient. If you guys need some of those tasks to be done, i can pass his details.

Tony

Hi guys,

Friend of mine is professional electricien. He charges small amount, tried him for installation of washing machine and cooker, hanging lamps. He was very efficient. If you guys need some of those tasks to be done, i can pass his details.

Tony

Tony G, Jun 22, 2015 @ 22:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Jun 22, 15 20:44

Ritchie,

This would be one of those things that if you dont try you wouldnt know. All of us have talents no matter how limited :).....with the help of you tube give it a try. As for the specific example of the ceiling mounted lamp typically there will be three wires + - and ground. and it is straight forward how you connect this dont worry you are not going to blow the building up at most the fuse. If the limitations are physical due to age the you offcourse need a 100 chf a small job handy man...

Ritchie,

This would be one of those things that if you dont try you wouldnt know. All of us have talents no matter how limited :).....with the help of you tube give it a try. As for the specific example of the ceiling mounted lamp typically there will be three wires + - and ground. and it is straight forward how you connect this dont worry you are not going to blow the building up at most the fuse. If the limitations are physical due to age the you offcourse need a 100 chf a small job handy man...

V N, Jun 23, 2015 @ 08:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Cheers,
Manfred

Jun 22, 15 21:12

Manfred,

I think you missed the point mate. it was never intended to blame you for a lack of talent directly or indirectly. I am just speaking from experience. Well hopefully this experience will guide you to learn about these things. By the way Ceiling Lights usually have three connections +, - & Ground or earth. I am not an electrician. But i do know a bit about this stuff out of interest and necessity. Good Luck.

Manfred,

I think you missed the point mate. it was never intended to blame you for a lack of talent directly or indirectly. I am just speaking from experience. Well hopefully this experience will guide you to learn about these things. By the way Ceiling Lights usually have three connections +, - & Ground or earth. I am not an electrician. But i do know a bit about this stuff out of interest and necessity. Good Luck.

V N, Jun 23, 2015 @ 08:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Be careful how cheap you go with tradesmen. If someone is such good value that you can't figure out how they make a living in Geneva it because the motive behind the quote/work is not to earn. Instead it is to see inside your home. Not a new tactic.

Make sure your tradesmen are not transient, here legally and ideally have a registered business and workshop or an address in the commercial register.

Be careful how cheap you go with tradesmen. If someone is such good value that you can't figure out how they make a living in Geneva it because the motive behind the quote/work is not to earn. Instead it is to see inside your home. Not a new tactic.

Make sure your tradesmen are not transient, here legally and ideally have a registered business and workshop or an address in the commercial register.

SamW, Jun 25, 2015 @ 21:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Sam - I understand your point but from my situation I am a trailing spouse who has some talent ( I like to think so anyway !!!) in helping people out and not having them pay exhorbitant rates.My aim is not to make a fortune but to keep myself active and perhaps buy a nice beer and a bottle of wine (NZ of course.. which I have to say is sometimes cheaper here than back in NZ !!) at the end of the week.  I am registered with ServiceatHome which lays out my rates /experience and which people can comment on service etc. But then I can imagine there are scammers everywhere..unfortunately.

Sam - I understand your point but from my situation I am a trailing spouse who has some talent ( I like to think so anyway !!!) in helping people out and not having them pay exhorbitant rates.My aim is not to make a fortune but to keep myself active and perhaps buy a nice beer and a bottle of wine (NZ of course.. which I have to say is sometimes cheaper here than back in NZ !!) at the end of the week.  I am registered with ServiceatHome which lays out my rates /experience and which people can comment on service etc. But then I can imagine there are scammers everywhere..unfortunately.

Jeffery S, Jun 25, 2015 @ 22:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

There are plenty of qualified and honest handymen in Geneva who give value for money, but let’s face it, there are also plenty of unemployed people who take on DIY jobs simply to make ends meet.  Others again may be unqualified clandestine expats who are also having a tough time.

I’m not saying all handymen are necessarily incompetent or dishonest or illegal, but what redress do you have if someone bungles the job?  You not only have to put the work right, but if you live in rented accommodation it has to put it right to the regie’s/owner’s satisfaction.  Don’t forget the “état des lieux” procedure if and when you leave the premises.

So calculate the worth of saving your own valuable time, look for someone who comes with authentic recommendations and quotes a fair price by Swiss standards, and everything will be fine.

Best, R.

There are plenty of qualified and honest handymen in Geneva who give value for money, but let’s face it, there are also plenty of unemployed people who take on DIY jobs simply to make ends meet.  Others again may be unqualified clandestine expats who are also having a tough time.

I’m not saying all handymen are necessarily incompetent or dishonest or illegal, but what redress do you have if someone bungles the job?  You not only have to put the work right, but if you live in rented accommodation it has to put it right to the regie’s/owner’s satisfaction.  Don’t forget the “état des lieux” procedure if and when you leave the premises.

So calculate the worth of saving your own valuable time, look for someone who comes with authentic recommendations and quotes a fair price by Swiss standards, and everything will be fine.

Best, R.

Ritchie, Jun 25, 2015 @ 22:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

If it is so easy, do it yourself...

If it is so easy, do it yourself...

nickg_44, Jul 1, 2015 @ 13:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

PS. light fittings really are a piece of piss to fit.

PS. light fittings really are a piece of piss to fit.

nickg_44, Jul 1, 2015 @ 13:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

for some yes, for some no; especially if you have to deal with the regie in case something goes wrong or don't have the tools handy. 

my point was that I that I almost felt offended when I got an offer at CHF100 to switch an old ceiling lamp with a new one. 

I did it myself last weekend. 20 minutes, done. just had to borrow a ladder from my neighbor. 

for some yes, for some no; especially if you have to deal with the regie in case something goes wrong or don't have the tools handy. 

my point was that I that I almost felt offended when I got an offer at CHF100 to switch an old ceiling lamp with a new one. 

I did it myself last weekend. 20 minutes, done. just had to borrow a ladder from my neighbor. 

Manfred R, Jul 1, 2015 @ 14:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

Beers on your for the remaining 80 CHF Laughing

Beers on your for the remaining 80 CHF Laughing

V N, Jul 1, 2015 @ 14:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

Ok, will you take the time to come to my place, bring your ladder and tools, take them up the stairs and spend 20 minutes changing my ceiling lamp for 40 francs?

Ok, will you take the time to come to my place, bring your ladder and tools, take them up the stairs and spend 20 minutes changing my ceiling lamp for 40 francs?

JR M, Jul 1, 2015 @ 16:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

JR, what I tried to express with this discussion is to get feedback on if I am the only one thinking that charging CHF 100 for replacing a ceiling lamp in my place is a reasonable price. We can argue if this is a difficult or easy job. I was looking for a handyman since I honestly didnt want to spend the time looking for a ladder. Luckily my neighbor was able to help me out. 

It took me effectively 20 minutes and it was a very easy job since I didn't need to to drill a new hole in the ceiling but was able to reuse the existing one. 

I just have a difficulty to put the CHF100 in relation with the work. I clearly explained the job to the handyman before he gave me the quote. Let's be frankly, my cleaning lady is paid CHF 25 per hour and she also brings her cleaning stuff to my place and takes it upstairs (via the elevator). 

Furthermore, I did find a handyman who would have charged CHF 50 instead. However, I felt quite motivated after V Naik's message to give it a try myself first :). 

Cheers

JR, what I tried to express with this discussion is to get feedback on if I am the only one thinking that charging CHF 100 for replacing a ceiling lamp in my place is a reasonable price. We can argue if this is a difficult or easy job. I was looking for a handyman since I honestly didnt want to spend the time looking for a ladder. Luckily my neighbor was able to help me out. 

It took me effectively 20 minutes and it was a very easy job since I didn't need to to drill a new hole in the ceiling but was able to reuse the existing one. 

I just have a difficulty to put the CHF100 in relation with the work. I clearly explained the job to the handyman before he gave me the quote. Let's be frankly, my cleaning lady is paid CHF 25 per hour and she also brings her cleaning stuff to my place and takes it upstairs (via the elevator). 

Furthermore, I did find a handyman who would have charged CHF 50 instead. However, I felt quite motivated after V Naik's message to give it a try myself first :). 

Cheers

Manfred R, Jul 1, 2015 @ 17:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

Jul 1, 15 16:14

And mine if ever …

R.

And mine if ever …

R.

Ritchie, Jul 1, 2015 @ 17:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

Yeah, Gva handyman market is specific. Also got one contact who asked smth like 50 franks per lamp and i had 4 of them... haha. And i will tell more, when i called him to check this he was booked for  2 weeks ahead. Thank you very much! What helps is asking people around (colleagues, friends) on their experience , contacts. So very soon a colleague of mine gave me a number of an under the table handyman who put 4 lamps on the ceiling and installed a washing machine for 110-120 CHF during 1.5 hour! (He gave me a discount though since he knew they guy who recommended him very well). So relatively bearable! Good Luck!

Yeah, Gva handyman market is specific. Also got one contact who asked smth like 50 franks per lamp and i had 4 of them... haha. And i will tell more, when i called him to check this he was booked for  2 weeks ahead. Thank you very much! What helps is asking people around (colleagues, friends) on their experience , contacts. So very soon a colleague of mine gave me a number of an under the table handyman who put 4 lamps on the ceiling and installed a washing machine for 110-120 CHF during 1.5 hour! (He gave me a discount though since he knew they guy who recommended him very well). So relatively bearable! Good Luck!

Tatiana S, Jul 1, 2015 @ 20:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22

Cheers

Jul 1, 15 17:13

You mean you don’t buy your own cleaning materials?  Do you never do any cleaning between the lady’s visits?

And what if your well-known employer asked you to provide your own pens, pencils,, box files, paper (for printing and loo) electric light bulbs and so on and so forth?

Luckily, most of us have moved on a bit since the Dickensian era.

You mean you don’t buy your own cleaning materials?  Do you never do any cleaning between the lady’s visits?

And what if your well-known employer asked you to provide your own pens, pencils,, box files, paper (for printing and loo) electric light bulbs and so on and so forth?

Ritchie, Jul 1, 2015 @ 20:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 23

Interesting. Have we reached the point where we start to judging while not knowing the person? It seems so. 

Do I have to apologize to pay other people doing my clothes (dry cleaner), cleaning my apartment (cleaning lady), fixing things (handyman), etc? No, this should be my choice. 

By the way, what I meant is that I let my cleaning lady buy all the cleaning stuff she needs every week. I then reimburse her and she leaves it my place. So don't worry my dear, 'the lady' does not have live in dirt. 

Interesting. Have we reached the point where we start to judging while not knowing the person? It seems so. 

Do I have to apologize to pay other people doing my clothes (dry cleaner), cleaning my apartment (cleaning lady), fixing things (handyman), etc? No, this should be my choice. 

By the way, what I meant is that I let my cleaning lady buy all the cleaning stuff she needs every week. I then reimburse her and she leaves it my place. So don't worry my dear, 'the lady' does not have live in dirt. 

Manfred R, Jul 2, 2015 @ 08:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 24

For those of you who don't think paying for certified skilled labor is a justifiable expense, I'm truly glad you don't own airplanes...

For those of you who don't think paying for certified skilled labor is a justifiable expense, I'm truly glad you don't own airplanes...

intlrep1, Jul 2, 2015 @ 20:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 25

On similar lines, I believe that a labourer is worthy of his hire.

And so do, presumably, the people who decide to stay in CH because of the more affluent

life style they enjoy.  Yet some of these same expats are reluctant to pay the local prevailing tariffs for service be it rendered by a doctor, a dentist, a lawyer, a handyman or even a cleaning lady.

Isn’t this known as having one’s cake and eating it?  Personally, I’ve never been so lucky.

On similar lines, I believe that a labourer is worthy of his hire.

And so do, presumably, the people who decide to stay in CH because of the more affluent

life style they enjoy.  Yet some of these same expats are reluctant to pay the local prevailing tariffs for service be it rendered by a doctor, a dentist, a lawyer, a handyman or even a cleaning lady.

Isn’t this known as having one’s cake and eating it?  Personally, I’ve never been so lucky.

Ritchie, Jul 2, 2015 @ 21:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 26

To add to what Ritchie said ('And so do, presumably, the people who decide to stay in CH because of the more affluent'):

I have seen many people of this forum asking for 'cheap' services from lawyers to electricians. Yet, presumably they are on a 'Swiss salary' (i.e. adjusted to the high cost of living).

Yet a proportion of people on a Swiss salary have what I call a slave-driver's mentality (i.e. think that they should be paid a high salary whilst others should live on scraps).

Manfred: It was you who started the judgemental tone on the forum by qualifying the work as 'an easy handyman's job'. Easy for whom? Certainly not for me.

I value the work and expertise of others. For me a good handyman is an an expert in his field. Just like the excellent Swiss lawyer I got to set up my company - certainly expensive but worth every penny. 

To add to what Ritchie said ('And so do, presumably, the people who decide to stay in CH because of the more affluent'):

I have seen many people of this forum asking for 'cheap' services from lawyers to electricians. Yet, presumably they are on a 'Swiss salary' (i.e. adjusted to the high cost of living).

Yet a proportion of people on a Swiss salary have what I call a slave-driver's mentality (i.e. think that they should be paid a high salary whilst others should live on scraps).

Manfred: It was you who started the judgemental tone on the forum by qualifying the work as 'an easy handyman's job'. Easy for whom? Certainly not for me.

I value the work and expertise of others. For me a good handyman is an an expert in his field. Just like the excellent Swiss lawyer I got to set up my company - certainly expensive but worth every penny. 

Catarina M, Jul 3, 2015 @ 02:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 27

Jul 1, 15 20:39

I am not sure i get your drift Ritchie!! You have taken a variety of stances during this INTERNET INTERACTION Cool

I am not sure i get your drift Ritchie!! You have taken a variety of stances during this INTERNET INTERACTION Cool

V N, Jul 3, 2015 @ 09:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 28

Jul 3, 15 09:33

In post 19, Manfred vaunted the fact that he pays his cleaning lady CHF 25 per hour “and she brings her own cleaning stuff with her”, which means that, for 25/hr she provides cleaning service plus the wherewithal to do that cleaning.

So I asked how he would feel if his own employer expected him to bring pens, pencils, paper clips, etc., to work.

While there’s not been an answer to that point, we have learned in post 23 that what M. meant to say was that his cleaning lady buys the cleaning materials, brings them to his flat, and he pays the cost – which no doubt saves him time for more lucrative pursuits.  Whether she is paid for this extra service is not clear.

One thing is though, and that is spending one’s money like a chap with no arms isn’t necessarily a Scottish trait.

In post 19, Manfred vaunted the fact that he pays his cleaning lady CHF 25 per hour “and she brings her own cleaning stuff with her”, which means that, for 25/hr she provides cleaning service plus the wherewithal to do that cleaning.

So I asked how he would feel if his own employer expected him to bring pens, pencils, paper clips, etc., to work.

While there’s not been an answer to that point, we have learned in post 23 that what M. meant to say was that his cleaning lady buys the cleaning materials, brings them to his flat, and he pays the cost – which no doubt saves him time for more lucrative pursuits.  Whether she is paid for this extra service is not clear.

One thing is though, and that is spending one’s money like a chap with no arms isn’t necessarily a Scottish trait.

Ritchie, Jul 3, 2015 @ 18:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 29

Richtie, aren't you one kind of a lady... But please remember, it supposed to be just a simple conversation. No need to analyze every single written word :). 

To answer your first question: honestly, that question doesn't deserve an answer. If my employer would suddenly say I have to bring the paper for printing and the clips to work - btw, I do own a pen and pencil... I know, I am one kind of a guy but please don't call me out for vaunting myself again! - I would look for another employer and let somebody else do my work. Luckily I am not a paper boy but do have a choice who I work for. 

On your second question: yes, she is reimbursed for all cleaning material. no, she doesn't get paid extra to buy the material since this is already included in her hourly rate (as negotiated in advance). 

any more questions my dear prosecutor or may I leave the dock lol?

On a final note, I don't spend my money like a chap with no arms. It's all a matter of the value of my time. 

I suggest we all calm down again and instead of spending the time on an outdated question on Glocals we go outside, enjoy the beautiful weather and have a drink with our friends. Cheers!

Richtie, aren't you one kind of a lady... But please remember, it supposed to be just a simple conversation. No need to analyze every single written word :). 

To answer your first question: honestly, that question doesn't deserve an answer. If my employer would suddenly say I have to bring the paper for printing and the clips to work - btw, I do own a pen and pencil... I know, I am one kind of a guy but please don't call me out for vaunting myself again! - I would look for another employer and let somebody else do my work. Luckily I am not a paper boy but do have a choice who I work for. 

On your second question: yes, she is reimbursed for all cleaning material. no, she doesn't get paid extra to buy the material since this is already included in her hourly rate (as negotiated in advance). 

any more questions my dear prosecutor or may I leave the dock lol?

On a final note, I don't spend my money like a chap with no arms. It's all a matter of the value of my time. 

I suggest we all calm down again and instead of spending the time on an outdated question on Glocals we go outside, enjoy the beautiful weather and have a drink with our friends. Cheers!

Manfred R, Jul 3, 2015 @ 19:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 30

are there any updates on this? could you recommend someone who could do job at more reasonable rates? many thanks :)

Sine

are there any updates on this? could you recommend someone who could do job at more reasonable rates? many thanks :)

Sine

Sine Tepe, Feb 5, 2022 @ 07:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 31

Val, 

Thanks for your msg. I tried that, it was difficult to follow as I also need to remove sth ( no idea what it is called) that seems quite fixed- I also need a ladder am not super tall????

Would appreciate of you give me a hand???? Jokes aside, if you happen to know sb, please let me know.

Thanks again.

Sine

Val, 

Thanks for your msg. I tried that, it was difficult to follow as I also need to remove sth ( no idea what it is called) that seems quite fixed- I also need a ladder am not super tall????

Would appreciate of you give me a hand???? Jokes aside, if you happen to know sb, please let me know.

Thanks again.

Sine

Sine Tepe, Feb 5, 2022 @ 10:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 32

Val, 

Thanks again.

Sine

Feb 5, 22 10:00

Hello, Sine Tepe!

Are you the legal tenant of a furnished apartment?

If so, you will have signed a contract listing all the fixtures and fittings, none of which may be removed or re-installed elsewhere in the flat without prior written authorization from the owner or his/her régie.

If the rental is a private arrangement, you are equally bound to ask the owner or his/her representative (usually the régie) for permission to dismantle a fitment, remove something such a bidet from the bathroom, etc.

However, if you decide to by-pass the owner or régie and use the services of a “friend”, be aware that when you vacate the premises you can be asked to re-install the removed article to its original location and pay for the work involved.

In such a case, you can rest assured that the owner/régie will not be asking “a friend” to do the work.

Sorry if  this sounds daunting but it is pretty standard practice, not only in western Europe but in most other parts of the world.

All the best nevertheless,

Ritchie

Hello, Sine Tepe!

Are you the legal tenant of a furnished apartment?

If so, you will have signed a contract listing all the fixtures and fittings, none of which may be removed or re-installed elsewhere in the flat without prior written authorization from the owner or his/her régie.

If the rental is a private arrangement, you are equally bound to ask the owner or his/her representative (usually the régie) for permission to dismantle a fitment, remove something such a bidet from the bathroom, etc.

However, if you decide to by-pass the owner or régie and use the services of a “friend”, be aware that when you vacate the premises you can be asked to re-install the removed article to its original location and pay for the work involved.

In such a case, you can rest assured that the owner/régie will not be asking “a friend” to do the work.

Sorry if  this sounds daunting but it is pretty standard practice, not only in western Europe but in most other parts of the world.

All the best nevertheless,

Ritchie

Ritchie, Feb 5, 2022 @ 23:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 33

Dear Ritchie,

Many thanks for your response. It is not a furnished apartment. Some of the ceiling lamps were installed by the previous tenant ( I paid to purchase some of them). 

Your tips about rental arrangements in western Europe are well noted ( do not have much experience living in Europe anyways).

Enjoy your Sunday,

Best,

Sine. 

Dear Ritchie,

Many thanks for your response. It is not a furnished apartment. Some of the ceiling lamps were installed by the previous tenant ( I paid to purchase some of them). 

Your tips about rental arrangements in western Europe are well noted ( do not have much experience living in Europe anyways).

Enjoy your Sunday,

Best,

Sine. 

Sine Tepe, Feb 6, 2022 @ 07:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 34

Ritchie,

Jun 23, 15 08:01

Please, if you know so little about electricity, that you talk about plus and minus for alternating current, I would suggest not handing out advice. Electricty can be seriously dangerous.

Please, if you know so little about electricity, that you talk about plus and minus for alternating current, I would suggest not handing out advice. Electricty can be seriously dangerous.

tawb, Feb 6, 2022 @ 20:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 35

If you don't speak French, get someone to phone 3 closest electricians to you  and pick the cheapest. If you are lucky and he is very close and kindhearted, you may get the displacement wiavered. This happened to me.. he lived just around the corner and came immediately after work... this will depend on the individual electrician of course, and you may be charged all the same... Of course if you speak French you do it yourself.

Otherwise, ask your concierge if they know someone dependable and reasonably priced to do the job, contact them and see what you think price wise..

If you don't speak French, get someone to phone 3 closest electricians to you  and pick the cheapest. If you are lucky and he is very close and kindhearted, you may get the displacement wiavered. This happened to me.. he lived just around the corner and came immediately after work... this will depend on the individual electrician of course, and you may be charged all the same... Of course if you speak French you do it yourself.

Otherwise, ask your concierge if they know someone dependable and reasonably priced to do the job, contact them and see what you think price wise..

TogJay, Feb 15, 2022 @ 19:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
35 Replies | 7064 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form