Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > theft in Geneva

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
theft in Geneva

my friend got his bag/computer/3 phones etc... stolen from a car parked inside a parking in Carouge last night.  Apart from the obvious calling the police (who did not come but they had to go to the station) and then going again today to finish the declaration.

Now, it was important work info what he has.. good for no one else except himself.  Any idea how to recover the laptop /phones ?

thanks yr insight...

The text you are quoting:

my friend got his bag/computer/3 phones etc... stolen from a car parked inside a parking in Carouge last night.  Apart from the obvious calling the police (who did not come but they had to go to the station) and then going again today to finish the declaration.

Now, it was important work info what he has.. good for no one else except himself.  Any idea how to recover the laptop /phones ?

thanks yr insight...

Maria CNov 13, 2013 @ 10:55
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

25 Replies | 3351 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: theft in Geneva
Post 1

Your best chance is to find his laptop offered on some website. Highly unlikely that the data on the hard drive has not been erased. That the information on the laptop can only be used by your boyfriend is no message to the thieves. They didn’t steal if for the info. If it was very important info, he should have treated it as such and make backups.

Your best chance is to find his laptop offered on some website. Highly unlikely that the data on the hard drive has not been erased. That the information on the laptop can only be used by your boyfriend is no message to the thieves. They didn’t steal if for the info. If it was very important info, he should have treated it as such and make backups.

ThomasNL, Nov 13, 2013 @ 11:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Well, they are probably already in another country....

Some phones can be localized when they are stolen, but that option needs to be activated before (or added with an app.)

Same for laptops.

Unless your friend did it, I don't think he will recuperate it. (or he's really lucky)

Well, they are probably already in another country....

Some phones can be localized when they are stolen, but that option needs to be activated before (or added with an app.)

Same for laptops.

Unless your friend did it, I don't think he will recuperate it. (or he's really lucky)

bertrand hubert r, Nov 13, 2013 @ 11:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

well the phone has GPS... so he says that if they switch it on it can get localized... now how... it's a mistery to me.

we also assumed the gadgets are not in CH anymore.. and it seems Carouge area had been busy last night , for the number of people at the police station this morning....

Thanks guys for your help.:-)

well the phone has GPS... so he says that if they switch it on it can get localized... now how... it's a mistery to me.

we also assumed the gadgets are not in CH anymore.. and it seems Carouge area had been busy last night , for the number of people at the police station this morning....

Thanks guys for your help.:-)

Maria C, Nov 13, 2013 @ 11:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

What still can be done is asking your operator to block the phone - based on the IMEI number. 

Regards

What still can be done is asking your operator to block the phone - based on the IMEI number. 

Regards

b. g, Nov 13, 2013 @ 12:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hi Maria, sorry to hear that.

Just a question: was the bag in plain sight (on the seats / car floor) or hidden (inside the trunk)?

Hi Maria, sorry to hear that.

Just a question: was the bag in plain sight (on the seats / car floor) or hidden (inside the trunk)?

TheOmegaMan, Nov 14, 2013 @ 17:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

You may go to jardin anglais and politely ask to one of the "Zizous" over there if they are aware of any bag/computer/phone stolen recently stolen in a parking in Carouge. They might be helpful...

You may go to jardin anglais and politely ask to one of the "Zizous" over there if they are aware of any bag/computer/phone stolen recently stolen in a parking in Carouge. They might be helpful...

Alexandre P, Nov 14, 2013 @ 17:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Nov 14, 13 17:22

What is Zizous, sounds very racist.

Dave G, Nov 14, 2013 @ 18:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

A small chance but go to the Governemtn office that receives recovered items.offten found in trash bins, Public transports, on the street, in taxis, etc.

http://www.ge.ch/objets_trouves/

I hope you have some good luck. Recently I lost my keys for home, car, and scooter. Went 4 times, once a week but notting.

but at this 'Lost and found' they get everything lost in Geneva

A small chance but go to the Governemtn office that receives recovered items.offten found in trash bins, Public transports, on the street, in taxis, etc.

http://www.ge.ch/objets_trouves/

I hope you have some good luck. Recently I lost my keys for home, car, and scooter. Went 4 times, once a week but notting.

but at this 'Lost and found' they get everything lost in Geneva

Dave G, Nov 14, 2013 @ 18:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

My bag was stolen from my car when I was standing outside the car. It was an organized theft, so before this happened, there were a lot of people in the area, and one person did something to distract you, and someone else stole the bag, with cash, a new mobile, new camera, credit cards and other stuff. It is brand new bag. I reported it to the police at the train station, and went back there again the following day when I found my mobile phone was used right away to call a few international numbers and also a 076....local mobile phone number. I asked the police if they could trace this local number and catch the thieves, the policeman said they would not do it unless it was murder! Recently my home got burglarized, and I hesited to use the 117 number to call the police because I thought this was not murder. This kind of police attitude allows the "petit crime" in Geneva to get worse and worse. But the public cime figure may not be that bad because a lot of the people do not know and may still think Geneva is a safe area. Just a few days after my home got burglarized, my colleague's home also got burglarized. He met the two thieves, who used pepper spray on his face and also hit him, and ran away. They walked, but the police did not catch them. Also a mayor's home in the same area got burglarized also within a few days. Since I came to Geneva, I had this kind of experience 3 times already. Never ever it happened to me elsewhere, not China, not USA.     

My bag was stolen from my car when I was standing outside the car. It was an organized theft, so before this happened, there were a lot of people in the area, and one person did something to distract you, and someone else stole the bag, with cash, a new mobile, new camera, credit cards and other stuff. It is brand new bag. I reported it to the police at the train station, and went back there again the following day when I found my mobile phone was used right away to call a few international numbers and also a 076....local mobile phone number. I asked the police if they could trace this local number and catch the thieves, the policeman said they would not do it unless it was murder! Recently my home got burglarized, and I hesited to use the 117 number to call the police because I thought this was not murder. This kind of police attitude allows the "petit crime" in Geneva to get worse and worse. But the public cime figure may not be that bad because a lot of the people do not know and may still think Geneva is a safe area. Just a few days after my home got burglarized, my colleague's home also got burglarized. He met the two thieves, who used pepper spray on his face and also hit him, and ran away. They walked, but the police did not catch them. Also a mayor's home in the same area got burglarized also within a few days. Since I came to Geneva, I had this kind of experience 3 times already. Never ever it happened to me elsewhere, not China, not USA.     

Jen C, May 1, 2015 @ 20:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

"But the public cime figure may not be that bad because a lot of the people do not know and may still think Geneva is a safe area."

Crime figures in Geneva and Lausanne are apalling and are the worst in Switzerland. Burglaries and petty thefts constitue the essential of the criminality here along with drug abuse.

"I asked the police if they could trace this local number and catch the thieves, the policeman said they would not do it unless it was murder!"

Don't be mislead by the attitude of the Police, they are actually trying, the problem is the law itself which makes it procedural hell to conduct this kind of investigations for them. That's why they were telling you they will not do it until it was a crime.

This kind of criminality is a never-endind debate in Swiss policy for some years now. A lot of Swiss consider that the situation has deteriorated a lot since the end of the 90's. Hence a rise of various populist parties that play with this insecurity feeling.

"But the public cime figure may not be that bad because a lot of the people do not know and may still think Geneva is a safe area."

Crime figures in Geneva and Lausanne are apalling and are the worst in Switzerland. Burglaries and petty thefts constitue the essential of the criminality here along with drug abuse.

"I asked the police if they could trace this local number and catch the thieves, the policeman said they would not do it unless it was murder!"

Don't be mislead by the attitude of the Police, they are actually trying, the problem is the law itself which makes it procedural hell to conduct this kind of investigations for them. That's why they were telling you they will not do it until it was a crime.

This kind of criminality is a never-endind debate in Swiss policy for some years now. A lot of Swiss consider that the situation has deteriorated a lot since the end of the 90's. Hence a rise of various populist parties that play with this insecurity feeling.

yoyo lolo, May 3, 2015 @ 16:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

When the real expats like me who do not know much French and do not read that much local news and therefore still believe Geneva is safe like elsewhere in Switzerland, we can easily become victims. 

When the real expats like me who do not know much French and do not read that much local news and therefore still believe Geneva is safe like elsewhere in Switzerland, we can easily become victims. 

Jen C, May 3, 2015 @ 18:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

May 3, 15 18:34

Well, it’s useful to bear in mind that Geneva is both a frontier town and a mini metropolis and such places always attract the criminal element.

Why not try to improve your French?  You’ll be more aware of what’s happening and, moreover, you’ll not only feel more confident you’ll look as though you belong.

Try it and see.

R.

Well, it’s useful to bear in mind that Geneva is both a frontier town and a mini metropolis and such places always attract the criminal element.

Why not try to improve your French?  You’ll be more aware of what’s happening and, moreover, you’ll not only feel more confident you’ll look as though you belong.

Try it and see.

R.

Ritchie, May 3, 2015 @ 19:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

I really would very much like to; having been picking up some French, but no time to study it systematically.  Thanks for the good advice though.

I really would very much like to; having been picking up some French, but no time to study it systematically.  Thanks for the good advice though.

Jen C, May 3, 2015 @ 20:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

May 3, 15 20:11

Why not find – via glocals, of course! –  a weekly language tandem?  That could give you basic conversational skill.  Les belles phrases à la Molière can come later.

R.

Why not find – via glocals, of course! –  a weekly language tandem?  That could give you basic conversational skill.  Les belles phrases à la Molière can come later.

R.

Ritchie, May 3, 2015 @ 20:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

Well there are a few english newspaper around here such as:

http://www.thelocal.ch/

http://lenews.ch/

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng

As for the criminality, the number of burglaries are slowly decreasing for 3 or 4 years now. We can only hope it will continue this way.

All the swiss I know are actually very concerned about what they call the "conditions cadres" (Security, extremely high prices, economy etc...) deteriorating and fear it might eventually leads the expats to quit the lake Geneva region. So we can hope that something will be done eventually.

Well there are a few english newspaper around here such as:

http://www.thelocal.ch/

http://lenews.ch/

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng

As for the criminality, the number of burglaries are slowly decreasing for 3 or 4 years now. We can only hope it will continue this way.

All the swiss I know are actually very concerned about what they call the "conditions cadres" (Security, extremely high prices, economy etc...) deteriorating and fear it might eventually leads the expats to quit the lake Geneva region. So we can hope that something will be done eventually.

yoyo lolo, May 3, 2015 @ 21:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

While burglaries are decreasing, I get burglarized, my bad luck! And I do not have household content insurance coverage. Cancelled it because the insurance always found excused not to pay.

While burglaries are decreasing, I get burglarized, my bad luck! And I do not have household content insurance coverage. Cancelled it because the insurance always found excused not to pay.

Jen C, May 3, 2015 @ 21:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

Bad luck indeed and I can only wish that it will never happen to you again since it must be quite an horrifying experience.

Bad luck indeed and I can only wish that it will never happen to you again since it must be quite an horrifying experience.

yoyo lolo, May 3, 2015 @ 21:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

Definitely! I have not filled the police form out yet, as it is painful to look at all those empty jewlry boxes and thinking about the cash lost.......

Definitely! I have not filled the police form out yet, as it is painful to look at all those empty jewlry boxes and thinking about the cash lost.......

Jen C, May 3, 2015 @ 22:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

When I was butglured last summer, the thieves took the boxes as well the contents.  Boxes that had travelled the world with me and that I miss almost as much as the jewellery itself and the history of each piece – when, where and why it came into my life.

But I am grateful that I wasn’t at home when the thieves broke in, so I didn’t suffer any physical hurt.

And who knows, maybe someone else somewhere now has the trinkets I loved and wore for so many years.  If so, I hope she treats them well.

For all that, I do agree, losing one’s jewellery is a truly painful experience.

R.

When I was butglured last summer, the thieves took the boxes as well the contents.  Boxes that had travelled the world with me and that I miss almost as much as the jewellery itself and the history of each piece – when, where and why it came into my life.

But I am grateful that I wasn’t at home when the thieves broke in, so I didn’t suffer any physical hurt.

And who knows, maybe someone else somewhere now has the trinkets I loved and wore for so many years.  If so, I hope she treats them well.

For all that, I do agree, losing one’s jewellery is a truly painful experience.

R.

Ritchie, May 3, 2015 @ 23:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

Nov 14, 13 18:32

I concur with Alexandre. Some background info on Zizous:

http://www.lejdd.fr/International/Europe/Actualite/A-Geneve-les-Zizou-font-la-loi-94288

http://www.rts.ch/play/tv/le-19h30/video/le-grand-format-reportage-a-geneve-sur-les-zizous-des-criminels-multirecidivistes-et-auteurs-dactes-de-grande-violence?id=4268656

http://www.lematin.ch/suisse/zizous-pquis-valises/story/18014358

http://www.tdg.ch/geneve/actu-genevoise/Ils-viennent-chaque-weekend-en-TGV-pour-voler-a-Geneve/story/25558557

Nope, actually they and their colleagues (quite a few eastern Europeans and other so-called asylum seekers from western Africa) are the racist ones for deliberately targeting Swiss people as well as law-abiding foreigners perceived as targets, btw turning Genève and Lausanne into crime-ridden dumpholes such as neighboring France.

I concur with Alexandre. Some background info on Zizous:

http://www.lejdd.fr/International/Europe/Actualite/A-Geneve-les-Zizou-font-la-loi-94288

http://www.rts.ch/play/tv/le-19h30/video/le-grand-format-reportage-a-geneve-sur-les-zizous-des-criminels-multirecidivistes-et-auteurs-dactes-de-grande-violence?id=4268656

http://www.lematin.ch/suisse/zizous-pquis-valises/story/18014358

http://www.tdg.ch/geneve/actu-genevoise/Ils-viennent-chaque-weekend-en-TGV-pour-voler-a-Geneve/story/25558557

Nope, actually they and their colleagues (quite a few eastern Europeans and other so-called asylum seekers from western Africa) are the racist ones for deliberately targeting Swiss people as well as law-abiding foreigners perceived as targets, btw turning Genève and Lausanne into crime-ridden dumpholes such as neighboring France.

Adrien L, May 3, 2015 @ 23:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

May 3, 15 18:34

So the un-real expats are people who put some effort to learn French and are interested in news about the place they live...??? That's a funny point of view.

So the un-real expats are people who put some effort to learn French and are interested in news about the place they live...??? That's a funny point of view.

Jack B, May 4, 2015 @ 15:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22

When I used the words "real expats", I meant vs. people from France, because I saw a comment by someone from France, therefore they have no problem with the language, just in a different country. I did not mean it in any negative way. Only from the language point of view. When someone was thrown into a totally new language environment at an old age, who also has to handle full time work, which is not related to the new language, it is difficult to learn the new language and be able to read everything, even legal document, in that language, in a short time. 

When I used the words "real expats", I meant vs. people from France, because I saw a comment by someone from France, therefore they have no problem with the language, just in a different country. I did not mean it in any negative way. Only from the language point of view. When someone was thrown into a totally new language environment at an old age, who also has to handle full time work, which is not related to the new language, it is difficult to learn the new language and be able to read everything, even legal document, in that language, in a short time. 

Jen C, May 4, 2015 @ 16:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 23

The piece I missed the most was my mom's wedding ring. She already passed away, unexpectedly. So I took her ring with me. It was a gold ring with 999 inscribed inside the ring. These thieves only took the real jewries. They threw all the cosmetic jewries on the bed.

The piece I missed the most was my mom's wedding ring. She already passed away, unexpectedly. So I took her ring with me. It was a gold ring with 999 inscribed inside the ring. These thieves only took the real jewries. They threw all the cosmetic jewries on the bed.

Jen C, May 4, 2015 @ 16:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 24

May 4, 15 16:09

Please, who are therse “old age” expats and where are they lucky enough to be working full-time?

Please, who are therse “old age” expats and where are they lucky enough to be working full-time?

Ritchie, May 4, 2015 @ 17:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 25

Me. When I saw Ritchie's "question", I could not help but laughing. I think you are very interesting and amusing, always writing things in an interesting way, also very nice way. You are master of languages. Lucky or not, depending on how you look at it. For income, yes. For doing things you like, yes and no. Innocent 

Me. When I saw Ritchie's "question", I could not help but laughing. I think you are very interesting and amusing, always writing things in an interesting way, also very nice way. You are master of languages. Lucky or not, depending on how you look at it. For income, yes. For doing things you like, yes and no. Innocent 

Jen C, May 4, 2015 @ 22:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
25 Replies | 3351 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form