Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > unemployment benefits

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
unemployment benefits

does anyone have experience with unemployment benefits? specifically the difference if you quit vs if you get laid off.

The text you are quoting:

does anyone have experience with unemployment benefits? specifically the difference if you quit vs if you get laid off.

Ondrej HMay 18, 2015 @ 20:00
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

13 Replies | 2470 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: unemployment benefits
Post 1

if you quit and you haven't got another job in the following month, they will penalize you up to 30 working days of benefits.even if your employer didn't abide by the swiss "code des obligations".

if you quit and you haven't got another job in the following month, they will penalize you up to 30 working days of benefits.even if your employer didn't abide by the swiss "code des obligations".

epicure, May 19, 2015 @ 06:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Concur. There is a penalty of around 30 days but it changes on case by case basis if you have kids etc. In any case it is better to apply straight away. They then schedule a meeting with you and later will send you a letter with their decision. You can always write them a letter back asking to review a decision but in most cases they don't change their decision. The place to apply is your local ORP the one nearly your residence. 

Concur. There is a penalty of around 30 days but it changes on case by case basis if you have kids etc. In any case it is better to apply straight away. They then schedule a meeting with you and later will send you a letter with their decision. You can always write them a letter back asking to review a decision but in most cases they don't change their decision. The place to apply is your local ORP the one nearly your residence. 

Natalya Lopareva, May 19, 2015 @ 10:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

May 18, 15 20:00

so many factors can affect your entitlement that its best to contact your ORP - the people there are *usually* helpful

so many factors can affect your entitlement that its best to contact your ORP - the people there are *usually* helpful

jack l, May 29, 2015 @ 11:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

May 19, 15 06:49

Is this correct?

I have been told that if you resign or quit then the penalty is 3 months.

Can anyone confirm?

Is this correct?

I have been told that if you resign or quit then the penalty is 3 months.

Can anyone confirm?

Sam I, Sep 30, 2015 @ 16:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Exactly, when you quit you have a minimum penalty of 30 days (30 days of unemployment compensation - not quite the same as one month since compensation if only for working days), and up to 3 months. The decision will be taken by the "caisse" after your register, and will depend on your motivations (you may be asked to write a letter), antecedents...

They will also decide if you have 70% of your last salary (the minimum) or up to 80% (max).

In all cases, you will have something like a 5-days penalty.

Last but not least: the whole process is handlded at first by ORP, but then compensations and related decisions are handled by "caisse de compensation". You are asked to choose one without much more details ; do not take the "caisse cantonale", the public one tend to be more severe, take one from an union, like "Unia".

Exactly, when you quit you have a minimum penalty of 30 days (30 days of unemployment compensation - not quite the same as one month since compensation if only for working days), and up to 3 months. The decision will be taken by the "caisse" after your register, and will depend on your motivations (you may be asked to write a letter), antecedents...

They will also decide if you have 70% of your last salary (the minimum) or up to 80% (max).

Last but not least: the whole process is handlded at first by ORP, but then compensations and related decisions are handled by "caisse de compensation". You are asked to choose one without much more details ; do not take the "caisse cantonale", the public one tend to be more severe, take one from an union, like "Unia".

Romaric D, Sep 30, 2015 @ 16:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Wow, sorry for all the typos - I'm not getting used to Swiss keyboards!

I should have precised that those are from my (recent) experience in Vaud. But much of this is federally codified.

Wow, sorry for all the typos - I'm not getting used to Swiss keyboards!

I should have precised that those are from my (recent) experience in Vaud. But much of this is federally codified.

Romaric D, Sep 30, 2015 @ 16:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Sep 30, 15 16:36

Thanks man! Very clearly written. 

Your experience confirms exactly what I have been told. 

Thanks man! Very clearly written. 

Your experience confirms exactly what I have been told. 

Sam I, Sep 30, 2015 @ 16:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

I don't advise that you just quit as they look negatively on that. Also, don't underestimate the feeling of worthlessness when you get money for free from the state.

I don't advise that you just quit as they look negatively on that. Also, don't underestimate the feeling of worthlessness when you get money for free from the state.

nickg_44, Sep 30, 2015 @ 17:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Sep 30, 15 17:36

Don't feel worthless, it's your own money, you already paid it into an insurance policy and now you are just making a claim on it.

Don't feel worthless, it's your own money, you already paid it into an insurance policy and now you are just making a claim on it.

John H, Oct 1, 2015 @ 08:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

I have two friends who have recently been laid off and are unsure about the procedure for chomage. There does not seem to bemuch information in English on the internet. They both speak French but would prefer info in English in order to ocmprehend everything. Can anyone help?

I have two friends who have recently been laid off and are unsure about the procedure for chomage. There does not seem to bemuch information in English on the internet. They both speak French but would prefer info in English in order to ocmprehend everything. Can anyone help?

delseta9_, Jan 31, 2016 @ 17:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Oct 1, 15 08:46

Depending on the situation, the ORP has a large margin to penalize.

They are going to contact your employer and compare details. but if you quit, a minimum will be one month non paid and 2 week=6weeks.

If fired, depending on the cause, if on fault of your own, yu just loose like 10days or 2 weeks, but that is the minimum for everyone. but you must suscribe to the chomage and they will have a manditory 'explaination session' where all this will be explained. Including what forums, documents you must present, etc.

Good luck and do wish you the best, its never easy being unemployed, but its the new 'reality' in Geneva for about 5 years, its very very stressed employee/employment market. And I personally dont feel it will get any better. So sometimes best get the benefits and take extra training to help your job profile.

They are going to contact your employer and compare details. but if you quit, a minimum will be one month non paid and 2 week=6weeks.

If fired, depending on the cause, if on fault of your own, yu just loose like 10days or 2 weeks, but that is the minimum for everyone. but you must suscribe to the chomage and they will have a manditory 'explaination session' where all this will be explained. Including what forums, documents you must present, etc.

Good luck and do wish you the best, its never easy being unemployed, but its the new 'reality' in Geneva for about 5 years, its very very stressed employee/employment market. And I personally dont feel it will get any better. So sometimes best get the benefits and take extra training to help your job profile.

Dave G, Jan 31, 2016 @ 18:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Jan 31, 16 18:46

Thank you Dave, this info wil be very helpful for my two friends. You are right re the unemployment situation in Geneva. I have been here for a long time and when I first arrived it was really easy to get jobs especially if one was English mother tongue. Today however, there is so much competition that one needs to have an edge in orde to stand out. 

Thank you Dave, this info wil be very helpful for my two friends. You are right re the unemployment situation in Geneva. I have been here for a long time and when I first arrived it was really easy to get jobs especially if one was English mother tongue. Today however, there is so much competition that one needs to have an edge in orde to stand out. 

delseta9_, Jan 31, 2016 @ 19:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Jan 31, 16 19:07

Well, the Swiss doors are now open to people from all over Europe so the supply is exceeding the demand.  Moreover, verbal

fluency alone may not be enough;  even native English speakers can lose out if their written skills fail to measure up.

It’s a return, in fact, to the “bad old days” before the 1960s and ’70s when a candidate had to be a good all-rounder with a solid base in the fundamentals of the spoken and written language and prononciation.

Plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose.

R.

Well, the Swiss doors are now open to people from all over Europe so the supply is exceeding the demand.  Moreover, verbal

fluency alone may not be enough;  even native English speakers can lose out if their written skills fail to measure up.

It’s a return, in fact, to the “bad old days” before the 1960s and ’70s when a candidate had to be a good all-rounder with a solid base in the fundamentals of the spoken and written language and prononciation.

Plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose.

R.

Ritchie, Jan 31, 2016 @ 20:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
13 Replies | 2470 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form