Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > (For non-EU passport holders) Flying in/out of Switzerland: is the Swiss residence permit enough?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
(For non-EU passport holders) Flying in/out of Switzerland: is the Swiss residence permit enough?
This is a question for people with non-EU/US passports.

In theory Switzerland has joined the Schengen agreement but in practice I hear that a Schengen visa is still needed to visit France, Germany, etc. (i.e., Swiss permit is not enough) until the end of March. I would love to hear from anyone who has a non-EU/US passport and has tried to cross the Swiss border in the past month or so: did they check your Schengen visa?

The text you are quoting:
This is a question for people with non-EU/US passports.

In theory Switzerland has joined the Schengen agreement but in practice I hear that a Schengen visa is still needed to visit France, Germany, etc. (i.e., Swiss permit is not enough) until the end of March. I would love to hear from anyone who has a non-EU/US passport and has tried to cross the Swiss border in the past month or so: did they check your Schengen visa?
dnachinkJan 26, 2009 @ 00:20

Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

12 Replies | 3936 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: (For non-EU passport holders) Flying in/out of Switzerland: is the Swiss residence permit enough?
Post 1
if you have  a card d'legimaticion and passport it is enough for france at least as i went to France just two weeks ago. Just passport is not enough, card d'legitimacion is necessary.

if you have  a card d'legimaticion and passport it is enough for france at least as i went to France just two weeks ago. Just passport is not enough, card d'legitimacion is necessary.

dajleeng, Jan 26, 2009 @ 00:23

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Re: (For non-EU passport holders) Flying in/out of Switzerland: is the Swiss residence permit enough?
Post 2

Thank you for your response! What is a card d'legitimacion - is that like a French residence permit?

Thank you for your response! What is a card d'legitimacion - is that like a French residence permit?
dnachink, Jan 26, 2009 @ 00:26

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
Hi

U can enter the Schengen coutries via road without a visa if u hold a valid work permit. However passport control still remains if travelling by air & this restriction would be removed by march this year.

Regards

Fazal

Hi

U can enter the Schengen coutries via road without a visa if u hold a valid work permit. However passport control still remains if travelling by air & this restriction would be removed by march this year.

Regards

Fazal

zuby10, Jan 26, 2009 @ 01:09

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
OOps sorry to mention. Passport control via airlines exists only when entering switzerland.

OOps sorry to mention. Passport control via airlines exists only when entering switzerland.

zuby10, Jan 26, 2009 @ 01:12

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
I crossed the border into Gaillard, France. I spoke to the swiss border patrol or police at the border in English on the first day of my crossing, they didn't understand a word I said or at least acted like they didn't understand and waved me into France. They didn't ask for my passport and there wasn't anyone to show my passport to when I crossed back into Switzerland. The next day there was not anyone to show my passport to crossing in either direction. The days I crossed were on January 11 and 12.
I crossed the border into Gaillard, France. I spoke to the swiss border patrol or police at the border in English on the first day of my crossing, they didn't understand a word I said or at least acted like they didn't understand and waved me into France. They didn't ask for my passport and there wasn't anyone to show my passport to when I crossed back into Switzerland. The next day there was not anyone to show my passport to crossing in either direction. The days I crossed were on January 11 and 12.
worldtodd, Jan 26, 2009 @ 07:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Great! Sounds like I can then fly to Schengen countries without getting a Schengen visa, as long as I bring along my Swiss residence permit? Thank you all for your help!

Great! Sounds like I can then fly to Schengen countries without getting a Schengen visa, as long as I bring along my Swiss residence permit? Thank you all for your help!
dnachink, Jan 26, 2009 @ 14:34

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
Carry ur travel insurance all the time. Asian/Africans will be easily picked among the crowds for questioning by the immigration authorities.

Carry ur travel insurance all the time. Asian/Africans will be easily picked among the crowds for questioning by the immigration authorities.

zuby10, Jan 27, 2009 @ 01:00

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8
No, I think what everyone is saying is that you can't FLY into any of the Schengan countries without a schengan visa, but if you drive across the border and you just have your Swiss Residency permit it will be fine. I am South African and as far as I can understand very soon we'll be given a travel visa to travel into any schengan country as long as we hold swiss residency permits.
No, I think what everyone is saying is that you can't FLY into any of the Schengan countries without a schengan visa, but if you drive across the border and you just have your Swiss Residency permit it will be fine. I am South African and as far as I can understand very soon we'll be given a travel visa to travel into any schengan country as long as we hold swiss residency permits.
Yellowtuplip, Jan 27, 2009 @ 13:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Thanks for your posts, everyone. I got an official answer from the French consulate in Geneva. NO Schengen visa is needed as long you bring along a valid national passport and a valid Swiss residence permit. The same is true for both ground and air travel. In other words, it is fine to fly from Geneva to Paris without a Schengen visa. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your posts, everyone. I got an official answer from the French consulate in Geneva. NO Schengen visa is needed as long you bring along a valid national passport and a valid Swiss residence permit. The same is true for both ground and air travel. In other words, it is fine to fly from Geneva to Paris without a Schengen visa. Hope this helps.
dnachink, Jan 27, 2009 @ 14:30

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10
What dnachink is saying is ONLY valid for France because in fact one crosses the French border (even on the Geneva airport) on foot.

What I have learned is that:

1. With valid Swiss work permit/cart de legitimation+valid national passport, one can travel BY ROAD to all schengen countries without schengen visa.

2. For AIR travel to Schengen countries (Except France), on needs to get a schengen visa (untill March 2009).

3. For Air travel to France, one does not not need schengen visa. Swiss work permit and valid national passport are enough.

Hope it helps

Easy

View Member\'s Profile
Find All Member\'s Posts
','165px');" style="DISPLAY: inline" onclick="InstantASP_OpenMenu('_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl10_smAuthorName','_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl10_smAuthorName_SimpleMenuDivLayer','
View Member\'s Profile
Find All Member\'s Posts
','165px');"> 
What dnachink is saying is ONLY valid for France because in fact one crosses the French border (even on the Geneva airport) on foot.

What I have learned is that:

1. With valid Swiss work permit/cart de legitimation+valid national passport, one can travel BY ROAD to all schengen countries without schengen visa.

2. For AIR travel to Schengen countries (Except France), on needs to get a schengen visa (untill March 2009).

3. For Air travel to France, one does not not need schengen visa. Swiss work permit and valid national passport are enough.

Hope it helps

Easy

View Member\'s Profile
Find All Member\'s Posts
','165px');" style="DISPLAY: inline" onclick="InstantASP_OpenMenu('_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl10_smAuthorName','_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl10_smAuthorName_SimpleMenuDivLayer','
View Member\'s Profile
Find All Member\'s Posts
','165px');"> 

Easy, Jan 27, 2009 @ 16:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Thank you. This is all fairly confusing so thank you all for your insights. In case, this is helpful (re: visits to Germany), here is a copy-paste from the website of the German Consulate in Geneva:

"The Swiss Confederation will apply the Schengen agreement with effect from 12 December 2008. From this date Schengen tourist visas or visas for business purposes are no longer required for third country nationals holding a Swiss residence permit (permits of type C, Ci, B and L) or a legitimation card of the FDFA, if the stay does not exceed 90 days in a 180 days period."

Thank you. This is all fairly confusing so thank you all for your insights. In case, this is helpful (re: visits to Germany), here is a copy-paste from the website of the German Consulate in Geneva:

"The Swiss Confederation will apply the Schengen agreement with effect from 12 December 2008. From this date Schengen tourist visas or visas for business purposes are no longer required for third country nationals holding a Swiss residence permit (permits of type C, Ci, B and L) or a legitimation card of the FDFA, if the stay does not exceed 90 days in a 180 days period."
dnachink, Jan 27, 2009 @ 23:46

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12
I agree with justdoit. With my American passport - I traveled to Prague no problem in January. I was simply there as a tourist staying less then 3 months. They didn't even look at my swiss residency permit.
I agree with justdoit. With my American passport - I traveled to Prague no problem in January. I was simply there as a tourist staying less then 3 months. They didn't even look at my swiss residency permit.
sloducky, Feb 6, 2009 @ 13:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
12 Replies | 3936 Views      |  Send to friend
EXCLUSIVE OFFERS

Feedback Form