Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Swimming pool in Geneva (for actual swimming, not just splashing around ;)

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Swimming pool in Geneva (for actual swimming, not just splashing around ;)

Can anyone tell me if there's a good swimming pool in Geneva?

I'm not interesting in splashing around (that's fun too, but I'm more of a sports guy) or having other people cross my swimming lines, so it should have a seperate are just for swimming.

The text you are quoting:

Can anyone tell me if there's a good swimming pool in Geneva?

I'm not interesting in splashing around (that's fun too, but I'm more of a sports guy) or having other people cross my swimming lines, so it should have a seperate are just for swimming.

Andreas RJan 13, 11 16:50
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

9 Replies | 3082 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Swimming pool in Geneva (for actual swimming, not just splashing around ;)
Post 1

Piscine de Varembé: http://www.ville-geneve.ch/plan-ville/sports/piscine-varembe/

Piscine des Vernets: http://www.ville-geneve.ch/plan-ville/sports/piscine-vernets/

Piscine de Varembé: http://www.ville-geneve.ch/plan-ville/sports/piscine-varembe/

Piscine des Vernets: http://www.ville-geneve.ch/plan-ville/sports/piscine-vernets/

eva77, Jan 13, 11 19:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Great, thanks! :)

Great, thanks! :)

Andreas R, Jan 14, 11 13:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

I can't seem to find information about the opening hours of Piscine de Varembé (my french is pretty bad :( ).

Do you probably know anything about that?

I can't seem to find information about the opening hours of Piscine de Varembé (my french is pretty bad :( ).

Do you probably know anything about that?

Andreas R, Jan 20, 11 15:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

for Varembé hours: go to the link that Eva proposed and look for the word 'Horaires' (schedules). It is published monthly to be able to include Events.

At the very bottom of the Varembé webpage, you will find a PDF named:
'Horaires.... 10 January - 20 February'.... LUNDI stands for MONDAY... and so on.

I used to swimm/train at Varembé and enjoyed it... You can buy a pass, for a number of entries that is valid for the two locations, Varembé+Vernets.

happy swimming!

for Varembé hours: go to the link that Eva proposed and look for the word 'Horaires' (schedules). It is published monthly to be able to include Events.

At the very bottom of the Varembé webpage, you will find a PDF named:
'Horaires.... 10 January - 20 February'.... LUNDI stands for MONDAY... and so on.

I used to swimm/train at Varembé and enjoyed it... You can buy a pass, for a number of entries that is valid for the two locations, Varembé+Vernets.

happy swimming!

nomades, Jan 20, 11 16:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

I swim in the Vernets pool. The main problem is poor "lane" discipline and a certain amount of aggression from some swimmers.

Lane discipline: - we drive on the righ tok? Most people swim on the right of lanes but some people want to swim in the opposite direction. Some people even swim diagonally across the pool / lanes.

You get some people doint crawl / backstroke who have no idea of where they are going and don't really seem to care who they mow down. They splash a great deal but are not usually great swimmers - I can swim quicker with my breast stroke. They seem to be buys who've had a bad day at work and want to take it out on the pool.

Be great if the pool staff gave a bid of advice rather than standing around chatting.

The worst thing I saw was a woman who dived in and landed on some guys back! Again she was dressed the part: speedo one piece, goggles, hat but again a lot of splashing when swimming but not much speed.

I swim in the Vernets pool. The main problem is poor "lane" discipline and a certain amount of aggression from some swimmers.

Lane discipline: - we drive on the righ tok? Most people swim on the right of lanes but some people want to swim in the opposite direction. Some people even swim diagonally across the pool / lanes.

You get some people doint crawl / backstroke who have no idea of where they are going and don't really seem to care who they mow down. They splash a great deal but are not usually great swimmers - I can swim quicker with my breast stroke. They seem to be buys who've had a bad day at work and want to take it out on the pool.

Be great if the pool staff gave a bid of advice rather than standing around chatting.

The worst thing I saw was a woman who dived in and landed on some guys back! Again she was dressed the part: speedo one piece, goggles, hat but again a lot of splashing when swimming but not much speed.

David G, Jan 23, 11 16:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

I tried the Vernets pool today for the first time, since I'm training for my first triathlon I wanted a pool with actual lanes for slow, medium and fast people and.. they actually had that.. or at least today they did. 

I'd have to agree with David that there were a lot of people making a big splash without forward traction :-).

Anyway, I'll go back there at least a couple of time per week to get me back in shape, next to all the running and cycling of course. It was clean not too expensive and not too busy.

I tried the Vernets pool today for the first time, since I'm training for my first triathlon I wanted a pool with actual lanes for slow, medium and fast people and.. they actually had that.. or at least today they did. 

I'd have to agree with David that there were a lot of people making a big splash without forward traction :-).

Anyway, I'll go back there at least a couple of time per week to get me back in shape, next to all the running and cycling of course. It was clean not too expensive and not too busy.

smile2sandro, Jun 1, 11 19:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Jun 1, 11 19:44

That always seem to have the lanes but I was not sure which to choose so swam in the free for all section which is an "bordel".

You should be able to swim outside now too.

That always seem to have the lanes but I was not sure which to choose so swam in the free for all section which is an "bordel".

David G, Jun 1, 11 21:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Jun 1, 11 21:31

Hi David, yeah those were in the two lanes next to me and indeed a "bordel" with all kind of stuff going on, people diving from the sides, the jump board etc.

Not a good idea :-) 

Maybe I'll spot you there sometimes, I'll be the one going real slow and working on my technique (with no splash) 

Hi David, yeah those were in the two lanes next to me and indeed a "bordel" with all kind of stuff going on, people diving from the sides, the jump board etc.

Not a good idea :-) 

Maybe I'll spot you there sometimes, I'll be the one going real slow and working on my technique (with no splash) 

smile2sandro, Jun 1, 11 23:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Try piscine du Lignon, outdoors only in summer, Olympic sized swimming pool, 2 lanes. They accept short fins and other equipment as well, while Varembé doesn't (goggles ok). I believe hours are more or less 9.30 am to 8pm, except Monday, opens late in the morning or early afternoon. 5 Francs entry but the summer pass is inexpensive.

Try piscine du Lignon, outdoors only in summer, Olympic sized swimming pool, 2 lanes. They accept short fins and other equipment as well, while Varembé doesn't (goggles ok). I believe hours are more or less 9.30 am to 8pm, except Monday, opens late in the morning or early afternoon. 5 Francs entry but the summer pass is inexpensive.

Maude Vuille, Jun 3, 11 18:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
9 Replies | 3082 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form