Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > French Immersion

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
French Immersion
Hi, I've been studying French for months now and I can't seem to get it, no matter how hard I try! I figured that the reason was that I don't immerse myself in the language--i don't speak with native speakers. Is there any French immersion programs in Geneva that I can attend? Like French-singing choirs or organizations like girl scouts (but this is only for children, I believe)? Please help! I'd really love to use all I learn! Thanks.
The text you are quoting:
Hi, I've been studying French for months now and I can't seem to get it, no matter how hard I try! I figured that the reason was that I don't immerse myself in the language--i don't speak with native speakers. Is there any French immersion programs in Geneva that I can attend? Like French-singing choirs or organizations like girl scouts (but this is only for children, I believe)? Please help! I'd really love to use all I learn! Thanks.
CherrieeJul 18, 06 19:44
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

6 Replies | 901 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: French Immersion
Post 1
Hi,

Believe me, anyone who didn't grow up speaking 3 languages knows exactly how you feel. Maybe i'm wrong but learning French is one of those things that just sort of happens. You wake up one day and BOOM you can say things you never even thought you knew! The University of Geneva offers an EXCELLENT summer French immersion program where students and adults from all over the world come to learn French and make friends. My advice is to stay away from native English speakers. You can check it out on the Universite de Geneve homepage under French programs. Good luck and Bon Courage! (maybe not quite what you were looking for but i hope it helps a bit)
Nancy
Hi,

Believe me, anyone who didn't grow up speaking 3 languages knows exactly how you feel. Maybe i'm wrong but learning French is one of those things that just sort of happens. You wake up one day and BOOM you can say things you never even thought you knew! The University of Geneva offers an EXCELLENT summer French immersion program where students and adults from all over the world come to learn French and make friends. My advice is to stay away from native English speakers. You can check it out on the Universite de Geneve homepage under French programs. Good luck and Bon Courage! (maybe not quite what you were looking for but i hope it helps a bit)
Nancy
nancy, Jul 19, 06 00:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
I have had the bizarre experience of watching my French go rapidly backwards while in Geneva. The 'system' is generally much more tolerant of anglophones than in the past. Many of us get through our working days without having to touch French. Ironically all the efforts to make anglophones more welcome have reduced the pressure to get inside French, as has the rise of 'international' activities.

I have done several courses, but really think the money would have been better spent hanging out at the local bar, as the hardest thing is to get a feel for idiomatic french, and confidence (rather than a detailed command of the subjunctive mood) is ultimately what determines how much you are accepted....

bonne chance, t.
I have had the bizarre experience of watching my French go rapidly backwards while in Geneva. The 'system' is generally much more tolerant of anglophones than in the past. Many of us get through our working days without having to touch French. Ironically all the efforts to make anglophones more welcome have reduced the pressure to get inside French, as has the rise of 'international' activities.

I have done several courses, but really think the money would have been better spent hanging out at the local bar, as the hardest thing is to get a feel for idiomatic french, and confidence (rather than a detailed command of the subjunctive mood) is ultimately what determines how much you are accepted....

bonne chance, t.
Antinomy, Jul 19, 06 00:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
Hiya!

I have just spent a weekend in a small village near Toulouse... it was the best french practice I have had since I have been here as they all have LOADS of time to sit and chat over a glass of red wine and they don't understand english at all.

It is fete time in this area so every weekend is a party weekend in some village with dancing in the streets until 6am. The perfect way to learn french!

tash
Hiya!

I have just spent a weekend in a small village near Toulouse... it was the best french practice I have had since I have been here as they all have LOADS of time to sit and chat over a glass of red wine and they don't understand english at all.

It is fete time in this area so every weekend is a party weekend in some village with dancing in the streets until 6am. The perfect way to learn french!

tash
tash, Jul 19, 06 13:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
yes, a friend who is currently attending the university of geneva's french course is also not satisfied with the program. she said that some people are not placed in the correct level of french; also, since the program is advertised almost everywhere, there's so many students that the teacher cannot focus on every student, and that things are so inconveniently done, like you have to sign up for several classes late in the afternoon, and that most of the classes like french singing are so full, you won't have any place to sit, and that the buildings are so hot and crowded, etc.
anyway thank you all, i will try to reasearch more.
yes, a friend who is currently attending the university of geneva's french course is also not satisfied with the program. she said that some people are not placed in the correct level of french; also, since the program is advertised almost everywhere, there's so many students that the teacher cannot focus on every student, and that things are so inconveniently done, like you have to sign up for several classes late in the afternoon, and that most of the classes like french singing are so full, you won't have any place to sit, and that the buildings are so hot and crowded, etc.
anyway thank you all, i will try to reasearch more.
Cherriee, Jul 20, 06 20:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
Hi. Just wanted to add another opinion about summer french: I am having a great time and meeting lots of non-anglophones, or at least non maternal anglophones. There is still one last session, and it's not too expensive. Yesterday there were so many classes in a row that I essentially had french "immersion" from 9am until 4pm, and it can be like that everyday if you go to afternoon classes and excursions. I feel twofold better in my french in 3 days already. Let me know if you want more info--I'd be happy to explain more.
Hi. Just wanted to add another opinion about summer french: I am having a great time and meeting lots of non-anglophones, or at least non maternal anglophones. There is still one last session, and it's not too expensive. Yesterday there were so many classes in a row that I essentially had french "immersion" from 9am until 4pm, and it can be like that everyday if you go to afternoon classes and excursions. I feel twofold better in my french in 3 days already. Let me know if you want more info--I'd be happy to explain more.
alisonalison, Aug 30, 06 21:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
6 Replies | 901 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form