Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Open on Sundays....

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Open on Sundays....

perhaps one of the biggest shocks for people arriving in Geneva is related to business hours. Closed in the middle of the day. Closed early. Closed on Sundays. Coming from the land of 365/24/7, this is hard for *me* to deal with, and I know I'm not alone.

But, there's a light, albeit a dim one...

I think everyone already knows that airport Migros is open on Sundays - and always packed!

But I also learned that the POST OFFICE has hours on Sunday, 16h00-19h00, I think. Not all branches, but the main branch behind the train station. If you have to get something postmarked on Sunday, or pick up a package, or stuff like that, now you know you can.

So, the question to all glocalers out there....

What else is open on Sundays?

The text you are quoting:

perhaps one of the biggest shocks for people arriving in Geneva is related to business hours. Closed in the middle of the day. Closed early. Closed on Sundays. Coming from the land of 365/24/7, this is hard for *me* to deal with, and I know I'm not alone.

But, there's a light, albeit a dim one...

I think everyone already knows that airport Migros is open on Sundays - and always packed!

But I also learned that the POST OFFICE has hours on Sunday, 16h00-19h00, I think. Not all branches, but the main branch behind the train station. If you have to get something postmarked on Sunday, or pick up a package, or stuff like that, now you know you can.

So, the question to all glocalers out there....

What else is open on Sundays?

ZonkerJan 19, 2010 @ 14:30
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

29 Replies | 11919 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Open on Sundays....
Post 1

In France, the Migros at Vitamparc is open from 9 - 12h30, and the Intermarché of St. Julien as well...

In France, the Migros at Vitamparc is open from 9 - 12h30, and the Intermarché of St. Julien as well...

just_me, Jan 19, 2010 @ 14:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Vegetable and cheese market at Plaine de Plainpalais

Vegetable and cheese market at Plaine de Plainpalais

loublue, Jan 21, 2010 @ 09:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Divonne Market on Sundays.....

Divonne Market on Sundays.....

Susan61, Jan 21, 2010 @ 11:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

In case of emergency - just about every shop at the Cointrin airport including pharmacies is open all day Sunday, so that can be an option too...

In case of emergency - just about every shop at the Cointrin airport including pharmacies is open all day Sunday, so that can be an option too...

Wisdom, Jan 26, 2010 @ 11:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Not really counting as "open on sunday", but if you don't have time to buy food during the shop's opening hour, you could consider leshop.ch . You get mostly the same price that at Migros (who owns the website), and get the products delivered at home one day later, for around 10chf (depending amount of the order, when was the last one, etc).

Not really counting as "open on sunday", but if you don't have time to buy food during the shop's opening hour, you could consider leshop.ch . You get mostly the same price that at Migros (who owns the website), and get the products delivered at home one day later, for around 10chf (depending amount of the order, when was the last one, etc).

RemyS, Jan 26, 2010 @ 12:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Hello,

Usually many supermakets in France are open on Sunday morning. You also can find food (or else) in the petrol station close to the border (if I rememeber well they are alloved to be open on Sunday - it seems that it is not more the case for the ones in the city of GVA). As other members say there are some shops (not a lot) open on Sunday in Cointrin, Cornavin and elswhere...

Hello,

Usually many supermakets in France are open on Sunday morning. You also can find food (or else) in the petrol station close to the border (if I rememeber well they are alloved to be open on Sunday - it seems that it is not more the case for the ones in the city of GVA). As other members say there are some shops (not a lot) open on Sunday in Cointrin, Cornavin and elswhere...

Vincent C, Jan 26, 2010 @ 12:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

There is a Coop Pronto (gas station + grocery store) in Carouge that is open later than normal Coop hours and also open on sundays. There is probably others Coop Prontos but I can't seem to find any info on the internet.

There is a Coop Pronto (gas station + grocery store) in Carouge that is open later than normal Coop hours and also open on sundays. There is probably others Coop Prontos but I can't seem to find any info on the internet.

JamieK, Jan 26, 2010 @ 12:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

There is a Coop garage on the rue de Lyon, almost opposite the Charmilles Migros Shopping Centre which is open on a Sunday.

A lot of Tobaccco Shops also sell snacks and milk.

There is a Coop garage on the rue de Lyon, almost opposite the Charmilles Migros Shopping Centre which is open on a Sunday.

A lot of Tobaccco Shops also sell snacks and milk.

patsycat, Jan 27, 2010 @ 15:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

The pharmacy at Cornavin station is open until, I think 10 p.m. on Sundays. 

The pharmacy at Cornavin station is open until, I think 10 p.m. on Sundays. 

dantan, Jan 30, 2010 @ 09:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

And if you want to have a nice brunch you can always go to Alhambar. It a pub during the week-end and nice family and friends burhcy place on Sundays :-)

alhambar.com

enjoy :-)

And if you want to have a nice brunch you can always go to Alhambar. It a pub during the week-end and nice family and friends burhcy place on Sundays :-)

alhambar.com

enjoy :-)

mishmish, Feb 2, 2010 @ 17:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Eric's does great breakfast (pastries, bread, jams etc) on a Sunday - Rue Moillebeau in Petit Saconnex.  It gets busy though!

Eric's does great breakfast (pastries, bread, jams etc) on a Sunday - Rue Moillebeau in Petit Saconnex.  It gets busy though!

Jennifer K, Sep 23, 2012 @ 10:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Good ideas, thanks.

Airport has everything open, including MIGRO

Trainstation has plenty, including APERTO for groceries. Also several Bakeries there.

There are few bakeries in Servette open in the morning.

Also many Gas stations now have mini Markets with 'bakeries, milk, cheeses, butter, drinks, fresh meat, etc.) See BP stations, Tamoil, and Shell stations on Rue du Meyrin. Also the station just before CERN and the French boarder.

But if your that far, just go into France a few minutes and you can be at Champion, L'eclerc, or Intermarché . Open in Sunday Morning. I also know that Val Thoiry commercial center is open in the morining which has Migros

Good ideas, thanks.

Airport has everything open, including MIGRO

Trainstation has plenty, including APERTO for groceries. Also several Bakeries there.

There are few bakeries in Servette open in the morning.

Also many Gas stations now have mini Markets with 'bakeries, milk, cheeses, butter, drinks, fresh meat, etc.) See BP stations, Tamoil, and Shell stations on Rue du Meyrin. Also the station just before CERN and the French boarder.

But if your that far, just go into France a few minutes and you can be at Champion, L'eclerc, or Intermarché . Open in Sunday Morning. I also know that Val Thoiry commercial center is open in the morining which has Migros

Dave G, Sep 23, 2012 @ 10:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

I think JIMS market in Thoiry, France. I think they also have english Breakfast.

Bruch is served at Mr. Pickwicks and Clubhouse. Pretty good but pricy.

Also many of the medium to larger hotels have english Bfasts.

Check in Directories.ch and search also for tea rooms. Most are open sunday mornings with Bakeries, swiss/english bfasts, snacks, sandwiches.

I dont know anyplace that has 'US American Bfasts' (Pancakes, bacon, french toast, Waffles, hashbrowns, w/Maple syrup, Donuts, Oatmeal cereal/porridge etc) . Anyone know?

I think JIMS market in Thoiry, France. I think they also have english Breakfast.

Bruch is served at Mr. Pickwicks and Clubhouse. Pretty good but pricy.

Also many of the medium to larger hotels have english Bfasts.

Check in Directories.ch and search also for tea rooms. Most are open sunday mornings with Bakeries, swiss/english bfasts, snacks, sandwiches.

I dont know anyplace that has 'US American Bfasts' (Pancakes, bacon, french toast, Waffles, hashbrowns, w/Maple syrup, Donuts, Oatmeal cereal/porridge etc) . Anyone know?

Dave G, Sep 23, 2012 @ 11:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

The market in Divonne is open until ~1pm. 

The market in Divonne is open until ~1pm. 

Edward B, Sep 23, 2012 @ 11:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

There are two Carrefour Markets in Saint-Julien (France). Both are open on Sundays from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. (NB: Champion, by the church & main post office, is now called Carrefour Market Lambert). They are typically packed on Saturday & Sunday because hundreds of people come from the Geneva area to buy cheaper groceries. If you do, just be careful re: regulations -- customs officers will most likely be out in full force at the border checkpoint to check your car and they don't joke around with fines... Intermarché is open as well, but it is even more crowded since it is the only place in Saint-Julien where you can buy gas/petrol (I also find it dirty and stocked mostly with average-quality generic brand products)...

Dave, re: breakfast -- The Bristol Hotel (in Geneva) serves a buffet breakfast every day from 7 to 10 a.m. (10:30 a.m. on Saturday and Sunday). It includes centre-cut salmon, eggs cooked on request, oven-dried tomatoes, bacon, poultry sausages, a plateau of mature cheeses, pancakes, a range of freshly sliced fruit, an assortment of pastries, juices, champagne, and more... If you are looking for Waffle House or IHOP prices and portions, the closest you will get to that is in Versoix: http://www.americanbreakfast.ch/

There are two Carrefour Markets in Saint-Julien (France). Both are open on Sundays from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. (NB: Champion, by the church & main post office, is now called Carrefour Market Lambert). They are typically packed on Saturday & Sunday because hundreds of people come from the Geneva area to buy cheaper groceries. If you do, just be careful re: regulations -- customs officers will most likely be out in full force at the border checkpoint to check your car and they don't joke around with fines... Intermarché is open as well, but it is even more crowded since it is the only place in Saint-Julien where you can buy gas/petrol (I also find it dirty and stocked mostly with average-quality generic brand products)...

Dave, re: breakfast -- The Bristol Hotel (in Geneva) serves a buffet breakfast every day from 7 to 10 a.m. (10:30 a.m. on Saturday and Sunday). It includes centre-cut salmon, eggs cooked on request, oven-dried tomatoes, bacon, poultry sausages, a plateau of mature cheeses, pancakes, a range of freshly sliced fruit, an assortment of pastries, juices, champagne, and more... If you are looking for Waffle House or IHOP prices and portions, the closest you will get to that is in Versoix: http://www.americanbreakfast.ch/

Cécile V, Sep 23, 2012 @ 11:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

I read on TDG that the powers-that-be are seriously debating allowing all stores to stay open until 20h each day, and to remain open on Sundays. Hope that happens.

I read on TDG that the powers-that-be are seriously debating allowing all stores to stay open until 20h each day, and to remain open on Sundays. Hope that happens.

Nir Ofek, Sep 23, 2012 @ 12:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

Sep 23, 12 12:45

That was constantly rejected in the referendums the last few years so i don't think it's gonna happen.

That was constantly rejected in the referendums the last few years so i don't think it's gonna happen.

catalin, Sep 23, 2012 @ 14:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

Super marche in Gallard open Sun mornings

Super marche in Gallard open Sun mornings

Jeffery S, Sep 23, 2012 @ 15:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

The Bakery qt the corner rue des Eaux Vives / 31 Decembre is opened the whole sunday

The Bakery qt the corner rue des Eaux Vives / 31 Decembre is opened the whole sunday

Amelie H, Oct 1, 2012 @ 15:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

Aperto shop at the Cornavin station 7/7 7to24h. Only few restaurants are opend as well in centre of Geneva.

Aperto shop at the Cornavin station 7/7 7to24h. Only few restaurants are opend as well in centre of Geneva.

olti o, Oct 1, 2012 @ 15:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

Buddha Bar is opened sunday evening 5.30pm to 2 am

Buddha Bar

Rue Jean François Barthonoli 10
1204 Genève 

http://www.littlebuddhageneva.com/fr/

Buddha Bar is opened sunday evening 5.30pm to 2 am

Buddha Bar

Rue Jean François Barthonoli 10
1204 Genève 

http://www.littlebuddhageneva.com/fr/

Tryky, Oct 15, 2012 @ 14:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22

Dave G, Oct 15, 2012 @ 14:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 23

Wolfisberg in Carouge, Place du Temple 5, 06:30  to 19:00

Wolfisberg in Florissant, 61 Route de Florissant , 06:30 to 19:00

and

Cafe Boreal, Rue du Stand 60, Sundays and holidays, 09:00 to 20:00

Wolfisberg in Carouge, Place du Temple 5, 06:30  to 19:00

Wolfisberg in Florissant, 61 Route de Florissant , 06:30 to 19:00

and

Cafe Boreal, Rue du Stand 60, Sundays and holidays, 09:00 to 20:00

Translator, Oct 15, 2012 @ 15:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 24

There are a few shops in Eaux Vives that are open on Sundays which are good to know about (other than all the corner shops) - both are on Rue Montchoisy.

1) Chez Ashanti - selling foods from all over the world including UK imported brands/foods

2) Urban Bio - an organic foods supermarket open 10-7pm on Sundays stocking all sorts of foods including a freezer section.

There are a few shops in Eaux Vives that are open on Sundays which are good to know about (other than all the corner shops) - both are on Rue Montchoisy.

1) Chez Ashanti - selling foods from all over the world including UK imported brands/foods

2) Urban Bio - an organic foods supermarket open 10-7pm on Sundays stocking all sorts of foods including a freezer section.

Anthony P, Oct 15, 2012 @ 15:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 25

Hey, brother, from one american recovering consumer zombie to another, get over it and  start living....Cool

There is more to life than shopping.

And if you must, a better alternative than shopping at the Migros in the airport is to go to the Sunday market in Thoiry, fill your nostrils with the smell of freshly cut flowers, fresh fish, cheese, bread baked that morning.... when did you go shopping with a view of the Alps in a sunday morning back in the US of A?

Wink

365/24/7 shopping is not necessary nor convenient. It is bad planning and a waste of resources. Who ever starved because the shops were closed at 7pm?

Hey, brother, from one american recovering consumer zombie to another, get over it and  start living....Cool

There is more to life than shopping.

And if you must, a better alternative than shopping at the Migros in the airport is to go to the Sunday market in Thoiry, fill your nostrils with the smell of freshly cut flowers, fresh fish, cheese, bread baked that morning.... when did you go shopping with a view of the Alps in a sunday morning back in the US of A?

Wink

365/24/7 shopping is not necessary nor convenient. It is bad planning and a waste of resources. Who ever starved because the shops were closed at 7pm?

JR M, Oct 15, 2012 @ 16:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 26

Sep 23, 12 14:28

Indeed, as a swiss person i can tell you that I voted already twice for this referendum but it was always rejected.

Some reasons or excuses for it: The Swiss law of labour, cantonal complex laws, labour unions who are against the liberal initiatives, the left wing, the green party, small traders, swiss germans Cool they are majority then they decide.

Indeed, as a swiss person i can tell you that I voted already twice for this referendum but it was always rejected.

Some reasons or excuses for it: The Swiss law of labour, cantonal complex laws, labour unions who are against the liberal initiatives, the left wing, the green party, small traders, swiss germans Cool they are majority then they decide.

Gabriella G, Oct 21, 2012 @ 17:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 27

Most local bakeries are open but charge a 0.10 francs Sunday surcharge on all bread

Most local bakeries are open but charge a 0.10 francs Sunday surcharge on all bread

Paul E, Oct 21, 2012 @ 20:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 28

Dave G:  Au P'tit Bonheur (www.auptitbonheur.ch) does Sunday Brunch with Eggs Benedict and French Toast, freshly squeezed orange juice, etc...on the menu.

Check out our recent events at www.facebook.com/auptitbonheur.ch

Dave G:  Au P'tit Bonheur (www.auptitbonheur.ch) does Sunday Brunch with Eggs Benedict and French Toast, freshly squeezed orange juice, etc...on the menu.

Check out our recent events at www.facebook.com/auptitbonheur.ch

happycamper, Oct 23, 2012 @ 09:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 29

Hello all,

This is a thread from about two years ago on shops in the Geneva area which are open on Sundays.  Anyone have an update or any new info on stores/shops/markets/good spots in Geneva and nearby France which are open Sunday?

Look forward to hearing from you and best regards,

Greengrass

Hello all,

This is a thread from about two years ago on shops in the Geneva area which are open on Sundays.  Anyone have an update or any new info on stores/shops/markets/good spots in Geneva and nearby France which are open Sunday?

Look forward to hearing from you and best regards,

Greengrass

Marie S, Mar 9, 2014 @ 00:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
29 Replies | 11919 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form