Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > A case of sub-renting for your thoughts

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
A case of sub-renting for your thoughts

Hi all,

I had earlier posted an ad in glocals for someone to take over my rental contract. I was pleased with the replies and the people I had met. Eventually, the contract was given to David Jones. However, this incident left a really bitter memory, and I wanted to share it and ask for your comments on it.

Met with David on 5 Jan 2011, and explained that I was looking for someone to take over my apartment as soon as possible as I already have another residence and wants to avoid paying double rental; and that we could work out some arrangements for him to move in earlier. He agreed, submitted the documents and left. On 18 Jan 2011, I received the confirmation from the regie that David had been accepted as the candidate to take over the contract. Messaged him on the mobile and asked if he had received the letter. He then asked to meet on 19 Jan and for the apartment key.  Met him on 19 Jan, and he told that he had submitted 3 rental applications and had been successful in all 3. Also said that he intended to keep all 3 rentals, as he intends to rent them to his friends. He then asked for the key so that he could show to them the apartment and that he would pay me the difference in the rent I have to pay. I agreed and gave him the key.
On 20 Jan, David messaged to informed that he "had nailed the deal" and the contract would start on 25 Jan, and he would give me the money on 29 Jan. Checked with him on the sum to be paid and he told that it would be from 25 Jan till 15 Feb. Was ok with it, and reminded him to submit the documents and pay the deposit, and that the contract would start on the 15 Feb still. Nonetheless I told that I proposed to do the handover on 1 Feb.
On 26 Jan, checked if he had signed the contract with the regie, which he said he was still waiting for the documents from the regie. On 30 jan, he messaged to ask about the handover from the regie, and that he would be collecting the money on that day. He then told that he would do the necessary documentation in meantime when I told that the regie would not do the handover unless his documentation is settled.
I then arranged with the regie and with David on the 4 Feb handover date. However, this is where everything turns sour. On 3 Feb, David emailed me the follwing email:
"Hi Wee,
I' will be there tomorrow. This must mean my lease will start with the Regie as of 15th but we organize ourselves for 4th-15th I guess?
The thing is the tenant I had nailed the deal with completely disappeared and I've been struggling to find a new one. He will take the flat the 18th this month. Am really sorry but that means I'll be able to give you only the part of rent from tomorrow to the 14th. Best thoughts, David"
Because I had missed this email, I was shocked when I heard from David that he would not be paying me on 4 Feb when we met, and that the sum would be even reduced. We then agreed on a sum to be paid by him, and as the regie did not require his presence that day, he left.

Cutting the long story short, now David refuses to pay any rental money to me, and claimed that I lied to him about the rental and early handover, that the regie had told him that he could not move into the apartment, and that since he did not use the apartment, he need not pay me anything at all. Despite reminding him that this was all along our agreement, and that I had actually spoken with the regie beforehand, and they were ok with it, he still claims that he did not use the apartment and thus need not pay.

Sorry for making you read such a long story. Just felt that I needed to let it out, and to remind all future persons who need to do handover of contracts, only hand the key for sub-rent after you see the money. I would appreciate if you have any comments about it.

David, if you are reading this, please dispute any parts which is incorrect and I will show the relevant sms or email for people to assess.

Thanks all again for your time to read this.

The text you are quoting:

Hi all,

I had earlier posted an ad in glocals for someone to take over my rental contract. I was pleased with the replies and the people I had met. Eventually, the contract was given to David Jones. However, this incident left a really bitter memory, and I wanted to share it and ask for your comments on it.

Met with David on 5 Jan 2011, and explained that I was looking for someone to take over my apartment as soon as possible as I already have another residence and wants to avoid paying double rental; and that we could work out some arrangements for him to move in earlier. He agreed, submitted the documents and left. On 18 Jan 2011, I received the confirmation from the regie that David had been accepted as the candidate to take over the contract. Messaged him on the mobile and asked if he had received the letter. He then asked to meet on 19 Jan and for the apartment key.  Met him on 19 Jan, and he told that he had submitted 3 rental applications and had been successful in all 3. Also said that he intended to keep all 3 rentals, as he intends to rent them to his friends. He then asked for the key so that he could show to them the apartment and that he would pay me the difference in the rent I have to pay. I agreed and gave him the key.
On 20 Jan, David messaged to informed that he "had nailed the deal" and the contract would start on 25 Jan, and he would give me the money on 29 Jan. Checked with him on the sum to be paid and he told that it would be from 25 Jan till 15 Feb. Was ok with it, and reminded him to submit the documents and pay the deposit, and that the contract would start on the 15 Feb still. Nonetheless I told that I proposed to do the handover on 1 Feb.
On 26 Jan, checked if he had signed the contract with the regie, which he said he was still waiting for the documents from the regie. On 30 jan, he messaged to ask about the handover from the regie, and that he would be collecting the money on that day. He then told that he would do the necessary documentation in meantime when I told that the regie would not do the handover unless his documentation is settled.
I then arranged with the regie and with David on the 4 Feb handover date. However, this is where everything turns sour. On 3 Feb, David emailed me the follwing email:
"Hi Wee,
I' will be there tomorrow. This must mean my lease will start with the Regie as of 15th but we organize ourselves for 4th-15th I guess?
The thing is the tenant I had nailed the deal with completely disappeared and I've been struggling to find a new one. He will take the flat the 18th this month. Am really sorry but that means I'll be able to give you only the part of rent from tomorrow to the 14th. Best thoughts, David"
Because I had missed this email, I was shocked when I heard from David that he would not be paying me on 4 Feb when we met, and that the sum would be even reduced. We then agreed on a sum to be paid by him, and as the regie did not require his presence that day, he left.

Cutting the long story short, now David refuses to pay any rental money to me, and claimed that I lied to him about the rental and early handover, that the regie had told him that he could not move into the apartment, and that since he did not use the apartment, he need not pay me anything at all. Despite reminding him that this was all along our agreement, and that I had actually spoken with the regie beforehand, and they were ok with it, he still claims that he did not use the apartment and thus need not pay.

Sorry for making you read such a long story. Just felt that I needed to let it out, and to remind all future persons who need to do handover of contracts, only hand the key for sub-rent after you see the money. I would appreciate if you have any comments about it.

David, if you are reading this, please dispute any parts which is incorrect and I will show the relevant sms or email for people to assess.

Thanks all again for your time to read this.

xb wFeb 17, 2011 @ 17:58
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

27 Replies | 1926 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: A case of sub-renting for your thoughts
Post 1

Thanks for posting this.

From what I understand, you were attempting to sublet to him.  He was then going to sub-sublet the apartment originally leased in your name.  If this was the case, then it would not have been a legal sublet.  This can be particularly problematic if the person damages the apartment and does not have renter's insurance.

Thanks for posting this.

From what I understand, you were attempting to sublet to him.  He was then going to sub-sublet the apartment originally leased in your name.  If this was the case, then it would not have been a legal sublet.  This can be particularly problematic if the person damages the apartment and does not have renter's insurance.

Translator, Feb 17, 2011 @ 18:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Yes, Translator, you are right. Actually, in fact, as far as I understand, all rental contracts do not permit sub-letting, and all sub-lets are actually only between 2 parties built on trust.

Yes, Translator, you are right. Actually, in fact, as far as I understand, all rental contracts do not permit sub-letting, and all sub-lets are actually only between 2 parties built on trust.

xb w, Feb 17, 2011 @ 18:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Well, it is fine if the sublet is approved by the regie. I guess he did not ever sign anything  on paper?

Well, it is fine if the sublet is approved by the regie. I guess he did not ever sign anything  on paper?

Translator, Feb 17, 2011 @ 19:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hello everybody, I am the david in question.

The story is not presented here properly.

I have proposed to refund Wee the price he was going to pay while not being in the flat should I be able to have official access to the flat early on.

It turned out not to be possible before the 15th. I explicitely talked with the regie about my agreement with Wee mentionning I even had already the key but they insisted it wasnt allowed and that I had to wait for my official entry "etat des lieux" scheduled on feb 15th. 

It is true that while waiting for answers from the regie it looked like I could have the flat before feb 1st, then it turned out it could be on the 4th -Wee s "etat des lieux" de sortie. Finally the regie told me I had to wait for the 15th to have access to it. 

These vaious delays have de facto changed the initial agreement which was based on the evident moral necessity to refund the previous tenant the rent corresponding to the period I would be using the flat. 

Since I wasn't granted official access to the flat, since it was forbidden by the regie to live in the flat while it was still under Wees name with no etat des lieux of entry, on which grounds should I refund anyone?

best regards, David

Hello everybody, I am the david in question.

The story is not presented here properly.

I have proposed to refund Wee the price he was going to pay while not being in the flat should I be able to have official access to the flat early on.

It turned out not to be possible before the 15th. I explicitely talked with the regie about my agreement with Wee mentionning I even had already the key but they insisted it wasnt allowed and that I had to wait for my official entry "etat des lieux" scheduled on feb 15th. 

It is true that while waiting for answers from the regie it looked like I could have the flat before feb 1st, then it turned out it could be on the 4th -Wee s "etat des lieux" de sortie. Finally the regie told me I had to wait for the 15th to have access to it. 

These vaious delays have de facto changed the initial agreement which was based on the evident moral necessity to refund the previous tenant the rent corresponding to the period I would be using the flat. 

Since I wasn't granted official access to the flat, since it was forbidden by the regie to live in the flat while it was still under Wees name with no etat des lieux of entry, on which grounds should I refund anyone?

best regards, David

David JONES, Feb 18, 2011 @ 16:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

To be precise, i never had in mind that Wee was subletting me his flat.

I even proposed the regie to take the whole february rent myself to have the flat from feb 4th. THEY REFUSED. So Wee had to pay for half of february while I was forbidden to use the key I already had.

We didnt need to sign anything if the regie would have accepted my early take over which was the agreement.

To be precise, i never had in mind that Wee was subletting me his flat.

I even proposed the regie to take the whole february rent myself to have the flat from feb 4th. THEY REFUSED. So Wee had to pay for half of february while I was forbidden to use the key I already had.

We didnt need to sign anything if the regie would have accepted my early take over which was the agreement.

David JONES, Feb 18, 2011 @ 16:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

The person subletting the apartment must live in the apartment.  He or she cannot sublet the apartment to a third party in turn.  If the regie finds out about an illegal sublet, the lease holder's will probably lose the right to rent the apartment.

If anyone has any question about this, I recommend you join ASLOCA, the renters' rights organization.

The person subletting the apartment must live in the apartment.  He or she cannot sublet the apartment to a third party in turn.  If the regie finds out about an illegal sublet, the lease holder's will probably lose the right to rent the apartment.

If anyone has any question about this, I recommend you join ASLOCA, the renters' rights organization.

Translator, Feb 18, 2011 @ 16:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Sorry, I meant to write "the lease holder"

Sorry, I meant to write "the lease holder"

Translator, Feb 18, 2011 @ 17:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Translator, you are right again. But in this case which is actually an earlier take-over of the contract by another party, I had spoken to the regie and they are ok with the early move-in by David.

Translator, you are right again. But in this case which is actually an earlier take-over of the contract by another party, I had spoken to the regie and they are ok with the early move-in by David.

xb w, Feb 18, 2011 @ 18:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

"he told that he had submitted 3 rental applications and had been successful in all 3. Also said that he intended to keep all 3 rentals, as he intends to rent them to his friends."

Am I the only one, who sees something problematic here? Assuming this is true, does this not run afoul of the requirement of David having to live in each apartment? Is David authorized to run a de facto regie like this? Is any revenue taxed? .. in any case, such behaviour only serve to increase the rental prices for everyone and funnel cash to even more middlemen like this.

"he told that he had submitted 3 rental applications and had been successful in all 3. Also said that he intended to keep all 3 rentals, as he intends to rent them to his friends."

Am I the only one, who sees something problematic here? Assuming this is true, does this not run afoul of the requirement of David having to live in each apartment? Is David authorized to run a de facto regie like this? Is any revenue taxed? .. in any case, such behaviour only serve to increase the rental prices for everyone and funnel cash to even more middlemen like this.

FerneyL, Feb 18, 2011 @ 18:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

No, you are not the only one.   Xb w did indeed provide a service by posting this information.

No, you are not the only one.   Xb w did indeed provide a service by posting this information.

Translator, Feb 18, 2011 @ 18:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Thanks David for coming in to give your side of the story.

Your claim about official access baffles me. You knew this is a private arrangement between us, as I had stated in my initial email to you and even reminded you in the messages on 20 Jan that your contract date with the regie is 15 Feb. And what about the whole sub-letting to your friends? The issue is clearly not about the official access.

If you had no intention to use the apartment, then you should notify and return the key. Which you did not and even promised some form of payment to me. And now, you start to talk about access and the regie's refusal and all. So which is which?

Thanks David for coming in to give your side of the story.

Your claim about official access baffles me. You knew this is a private arrangement between us, as I had stated in my initial email to you and even reminded you in the messages on 20 Jan that your contract date with the regie is 15 Feb. And what about the whole sub-letting to your friends? The issue is clearly not about the official access.

If you had no intention to use the apartment, then you should notify and return the key. Which you did not and even promised some form of payment to me. And now, you start to talk about access and the regie's refusal and all. So which is which?

xb w, Feb 18, 2011 @ 18:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Comon translator, you know very well the regies are not renting short term. I have friends struggling to find places to stay. Why shouldn't I give it to them? Aren't they on the same market?

Who is talking about business here except Wee claiming I owe him money for a place I couldn't even move in. The thing is I was ready to refund the rent if I could move in. I couldn't move in, so no money. What is wrong with this?

Basically you are trying to tell me I am doing something wrong while he has unsucessfully tried to sublet me a place I was not even allowed to be in?

Why do you turn things up side down?

Comon translator, you know very well the regies are not renting short term. I have friends struggling to find places to stay. Why shouldn't I give it to them? Aren't they on the same market?

Who is talking about business here except Wee claiming I owe him money for a place I couldn't even move in. The thing is I was ready to refund the rent if I could move in. I couldn't move in, so no money. What is wrong with this?

Basically you are trying to tell me I am doing something wrong while he has unsucessfully tried to sublet me a place I was not even allowed to be in?

Why do you turn things up side down?

David JONES, Feb 18, 2011 @ 20:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

To FerneyL: what are you writing about?

Do you know people around you struggling to find places? I do.

Do you think regies are anything else than a bunch of pribiledged playing with us?

Would you rather trust the regies to help your friends or keep what you have been lucky enough to get to help them out?

Why do you pretend being surprised that people help themselves around?

What are you pretending to know about my behaviour? It is only Wee who is complaining that his unofficial sublet business didnt work out.

besides, you are not even showing your picture.

To FerneyL: what are you writing about?

Do you know people around you struggling to find places? I do.

Do you think regies are anything else than a bunch of pribiledged playing with us?

Would you rather trust the regies to help your friends or keep what you have been lucky enough to get to help them out?

Why do you pretend being surprised that people help themselves around?

What are you pretending to know about my behaviour? It is only Wee who is complaining that his unofficial sublet business didnt work out.

besides, you are not even showing your picture.

David JONES, Feb 18, 2011 @ 20:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

Xb w did indeed provide a service in posting this situation.  The situation he described, along with your explanations, shows how distorted the Geneva market is. 

What is the point of renting three apartments if not to make money? This further distorts an already distorted market.

I only specified that sublets that are not declared to the regie are not legal. If you read my responses, you will see that I have never accused you of anything.  Ferney L picked up on the same issue.

As a foreigner, I would never write on an open forum that I had any intention of circumventing or breaking the law.  Participating in illegal activities is undoubtedly grounds for revocation of one's work permit.

I am in a short-term sublet myself. This is the 3rd short-term sublet the regie has allowed the lease-holder. The regie has informed the lease-holder that this is the final sublet.

This is the reason why many of us have recommended that renters join ASLOCA. Their lawyers have experience and can assist renters in securing  sublets, among other types of housing contracts.

Xb w did indeed provide a service in posting this situation.  The situation he described, along with your explanations, shows how distorted the Geneva market is. 

What is the point of renting three apartments if not to make money? This further distorts an already distorted market.

I only specified that sublets that are not declared to the regie are not legal. If you read my responses, you will see that I have never accused you of anything.  Ferney L picked up on the same issue.

As a foreigner, I would never write on an open forum that I had any intention of circumventing or breaking the law.  Participating in illegal activities is undoubtedly grounds for revocation of one's work permit.

I am in a short-term sublet myself. This is the 3rd short-term sublet the regie has allowed the lease-holder. The regie has informed the lease-holder that this is the final sublet.

This is the reason why many of us have recommended that renters join ASLOCA. Their lawyers have experience and can assist renters in securing  sublets, among other types of housing contracts.

Translator, Feb 18, 2011 @ 20:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

When you apply for flats here you send many applications. I was inconceivably lucky and decided to keep them. For people I know. what's wrong? As I said earlier, Regies do not accept short term renting.

When you apply for flats here you send many applications. I was inconceivably lucky and decided to keep them. For people I know. what's wrong? As I said earlier, Regies do not accept short term renting.

David JONES, Feb 18, 2011 @ 20:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

If you join  ASLOCA, you will learn under what conditions a regie can and cannot refuse short-term sublets.

My only advice to people, as I have heard from ASLOCA, is not to participate in an illegal sublet, whether or not one is friends with the lease-holder.

If you join  ASLOCA, you will learn under what conditions a regie can and cannot refuse short-term sublets.

My only advice to people, as I have heard from ASLOCA, is not to participate in an illegal sublet, whether or not one is friends with the lease-holder.

Translator, Feb 18, 2011 @ 20:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

why do you ask me why you are not finding a proper rent with a proper regie?

You can find stable situations with pragmatic individuals if only you change your logic.

why do you ask me why you are not finding a proper rent with a proper regie?

You can find stable situations with pragmatic individuals if only you change your logic.

David JONES, Feb 18, 2011 @ 20:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

My logic must accord with the law.  Perhaps you feel privileged enough to circumvent it.  I will, in fact, be taking over the lease. 

Your question assumed that I wanted more than a short-term lease at the time that I signed.  Your assumption was incorrect.

My logic must accord with the law.  Perhaps you feel privileged enough to circumvent it.  I will, in fact, be taking over the lease. 

Your question assumed that I wanted more than a short-term lease at the time that I signed.  Your assumption was incorrect.

Translator, Feb 18, 2011 @ 21:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

Furthermore, if it is the case that you believed you had the right to move into the apartment simply because you held the key, this shows a fundamental flaw in your logic. 

Everyone who moves into an apartment must have an "etat de lieu" completed before  the key is turned over. This is for the protection of both parties.  What you claim to be pragmatism can turn into a major problem later if the proper steps are not followed.

Furthermore, if it is the case that you believed you had the right to move into the apartment simply because you held the key, this shows a fundamental flaw in your logic. 

Everyone who moves into an apartment must have an "etat de lieu" completed before  the key is turned over. This is for the protection of both parties.  What you claim to be pragmatism can turn into a major problem later if the proper steps are not followed.

Translator, Feb 18, 2011 @ 21:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

To David>

My policy is to not show my picture. I see nothing wrong with that. It's common practice online.

Most people in Geneva go through a lot of hassle to find housing. Your friends, although probably very nice, are not special to the rest of us, I'm afraid. It looks like you have used the credentials of having a good job and salary (scientist) to help your buddies gain an apartment faster, and, furthermore, that you will be subletting to your friends, en masse, rather than handing over the leases to them directly. Is this correctly interpreted?

In both instances, something 'wrong' seems to have happened, in that in no case did you intend to use the apartments you applied for for yourself - thus misrepresenting your intention to the current leaseholders. The fact that you apparently intend to sublet to other people usually indicates a profit. The scale is another compounding factor. If I'm wrong, please do correct me.

My opinion of regies is probably in line with the rest of Geneva's expat population.

I take it that your motives are completely benign and kind, but you cannot fault us/me for pointing out that what looks like a duck, talks like a duck, etc., *may*, in fact, be a duck (i.e. private leasing/subletting on a mass scale, for profit or not).

I understand there is a law in place requiring you to be resident in the apartment you lease. It would be safe to assume that would be to avoid this situation. You cannot be resident in more than one place at a time.

"[..]decided to keep them. For people I know. what's wrong?"

I recommend you take Translator's advice and present the situation to ASLOCA, but you can of course explain it to the regie(s) and get their opinion, too.

In any case, best of luck to your friends in their housing situation.

To David>

My policy is to not show my picture. I see nothing wrong with that. It's common practice online.

Most people in Geneva go through a lot of hassle to find housing. Your friends, although probably very nice, are not special to the rest of us, I'm afraid. It looks like you have used the credentials of having a good job and salary (scientist) to help your buddies gain an apartment faster, and, furthermore, that you will be subletting to your friends, en masse, rather than handing over the leases to them directly. Is this correctly interpreted?

In both instances, something 'wrong' seems to have happened, in that in no case did you intend to use the apartments you applied for for yourself - thus misrepresenting your intention to the current leaseholders. The fact that you apparently intend to sublet to other people usually indicates a profit. The scale is another compounding factor. If I'm wrong, please do correct me.

My opinion of regies is probably in line with the rest of Geneva's expat population.

I take it that your motives are completely benign and kind, but you cannot fault us/me for pointing out that what looks like a duck, talks like a duck, etc., *may*, in fact, be a duck (i.e. private leasing/subletting on a mass scale, for profit or not).

I understand there is a law in place requiring you to be resident in the apartment you lease. It would be safe to assume that would be to avoid this situation. You cannot be resident in more than one place at a time.

"[..]decided to keep them. For people I know. what's wrong?"

I recommend you take Translator's advice and present the situation to ASLOCA, but you can of course explain it to the regie(s) and get their opinion, too.

In any case, best of luck to your friends in their housing situation.

FerneyL, Feb 18, 2011 @ 20:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

"Your question assumed that I wanted more than a short-term lease at the time that I signed" So you did find the solution you needed at each step. Sublet was usefull at one point; part of the market fluidity.

To come back to Wees claim, he is the one trying to sublet unofficially a place I was clearly forbidden to inhabit before feb. 15th.

Whatever I do for my friends, why do you think you have a reason to point the finger at me.

"Your question assumed that I wanted more than a short-term lease at the time that I signed" So you did find the solution you needed at each step. Sublet was usefull at one point; part of the market fluidity.

To come back to Wees claim, he is the one trying to sublet unofficially a place I was clearly forbidden to inhabit before feb. 15th.

Whatever I do for my friends, why do you think you have a reason to point the finger at me.

David JONES, Feb 18, 2011 @ 21:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22

Perhaps you are assuming, again incorrectly, that I am pointing any fingers at you at all.  What you do with your friends, legal or illegal, pragmatic or quixotic, is up to you.

Xb w presented a situation that is not atypical in this market.  It is important that people be aware these kinds of situations so as to be able to avoid them.

It is interesting, to note, however, that you continue to refer to Wees behavior while apparently failing to question your own participation in the scheme.  You appear  to damn everyone's behavior but your own.

Perhaps you are assuming, again incorrectly, that I am pointing any fingers at you at all.  What you do with your friends, legal or illegal, pragmatic or quixotic, is up to you.

Xb w presented a situation that is not atypical in this market.  It is important that people be aware these kinds of situations so as to be able to avoid them.

It is interesting, to note, however, that you continue to refer to Wees behavior while apparently failing to question your own participation in the scheme.  You appear  to damn everyone's behavior but your own.

Translator, Feb 18, 2011 @ 21:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 23

Really are you tryng to understand?

I am precisely saying that wee believed it. I asked the regie to pay his share of february to move in earlier which they refused.

Dont forget he is the one trying to extort me thje amount of the rent he had to pay for a place I didnt live in?!

Really are you tryng to understand?

I am precisely saying that wee believed it. I asked the regie to pay his share of february to move in earlier which they refused.

Dont forget he is the one trying to extort me thje amount of the rent he had to pay for a place I didnt live in?!

David JONES, Feb 18, 2011 @ 21:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 24

I think David, Wee and the regie all misunderstood the deal between them. I have no opinion on who is right, but it sounds like they should simply meet at the regie, bringing papers, and sort it out.

I think David, Wee and the regie all misunderstood the deal between them. I have no opinion on who is right, but it sounds like they should simply meet at the regie, bringing papers, and sort it out.

FerneyL, Feb 18, 2011 @ 21:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 25

Translator, FerneyL, thanks for your comments.

And please David, do not degenerate me to your level.

What I was trying to do was for someone to take over my contract from me early so that I do not have to pay double rent. My intention clearly differs from yours.

And it was fishy at first, but now I see it. First you told you "nailed" a deal with someone for 25 Jan. And then on 3 Feb you told he disappeared. Did you then mean that your FRIEND disappeared on you? Funny.

Translator, FerneyL, thanks for your comments.

And please David, do not degenerate me to your level.

What I was trying to do was for someone to take over my contract from me early so that I do not have to pay double rent. My intention clearly differs from yours.

And it was fishy at first, but now I see it. First you told you "nailed" a deal with someone for 25 Jan. And then on 3 Feb you told he disappeared. Did you then mean that your FRIEND disappeared on you? Funny.

xb w, Feb 18, 2011 @ 23:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 26

Wee, things do go very fast when you live in a place for 30 years. you know all sorts of friends. "nailing a deal" and "disappearing" are not incompatible with friendship.

Now, clearly our intentions differed as you wanted someone to subllet your place till the termination of your lease and I wanted to take over your lease.

I keep telling you I was forbidden to gain access to the flat before feb 15th.

Are you trying to tell me here I was wrong to respect the regie?

Maybe you didnt know the lease couldnt be taken over that fast or you did and I didn't get your point. In my mind money was for occupancy not for deposit.

Wee, things do go very fast when you live in a place for 30 years. you know all sorts of friends. "nailing a deal" and "disappearing" are not incompatible with friendship.

Now, clearly our intentions differed as you wanted someone to subllet your place till the termination of your lease and I wanted to take over your lease.

I keep telling you I was forbidden to gain access to the flat before feb 15th.

Are you trying to tell me here I was wrong to respect the regie?

Maybe you didnt know the lease couldnt be taken over that fast or you did and I didn't get your point. In my mind money was for occupancy not for deposit.

David JONES, Feb 18, 2011 @ 23:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 27

David, do not give me life lessons anymore. You have given a big one already.

Again, i repeat, i wanted someone to take over my lease early so that I do not have to pay double rent (this you knew, and that it would be a private arrangement), but if that someone intends to help his friends find a place to stay, I do not have any issue. But when that someone backs out from the original deal, I will have an issue.

And do not talk about respecting the regie, because if you do, you will respect the rules against sub-letting.

In any case, the leaseholder until 15 feb is me, and if anything happens, I am responsible. Did it ever occur to you the risks I am taking here?

The case facts are now all here for people to read. It does seem that our points cannot converge. It is now up to others to decide which is the case.

Lastly, just a reminder about the purpose of this thread, do learn from my expensive mistake. Remember, no money, no handing over of key.

David, do not give me life lessons anymore. You have given a big one already.

Again, i repeat, i wanted someone to take over my lease early so that I do not have to pay double rent (this you knew, and that it would be a private arrangement), but if that someone intends to help his friends find a place to stay, I do not have any issue. But when that someone backs out from the original deal, I will have an issue.

And do not talk about respecting the regie, because if you do, you will respect the rules against sub-letting.

In any case, the leaseholder until 15 feb is me, and if anything happens, I am responsible. Did it ever occur to you the risks I am taking here?

The case facts are now all here for people to read. It does seem that our points cannot converge. It is now up to others to decide which is the case.

Lastly, just a reminder about the purpose of this thread, do learn from my expensive mistake. Remember, no money, no handing over of key.

xb w, Feb 19, 2011 @ 09:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
27 Replies | 1926 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form