Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > A scooter .... why not?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
A scooter .... why not?

We moved to Geneva about a year ago, initially rented an apartment in Plainpalais. Every day. I would drve my 10-year son to the Ecolint Nations campus by car ... Then I quickly started noticing that, while I was mostly sitting in this morning rush hour traffick, there were all of these nifty scooters, passing me left and right, always pulling right up to the traffic lights, going wherever they needed right now. The nightly struggle to find a parking place for that car made me more curious ... it was obvious scooters could park just about anywhere and they did not seem to need a permit.

So ... I bought a 125 cc scooter and life got better. So did my fuel consumption and related carbon footprint ... going from maybe 8 kms to the liter to better than 30 ... Parking? Just point. Rain? We have the old Dutch rainsuit that neatly folds up into the 35 liter topcase, always at the ready. And if I have to take a plane somewhere, I take that scooter and park it, for free, dry & covered, just a few steps outside the departures terminal. Real handy. The car no longer suffers the wear and tear of cold-start-short-city-trips and when we feel like going into town we're not scared off by the endless rows of cars slowly nudging ahead - we simply whisk by. I could go on.

Coming from Holland I would actually prefer the bicycle, however I am not allowed by law to transport my son on the back (bit of a culture shock that was) ... Public transportation is pretty good, but it takes about 3 quarters of an hour to get to that school ... and then back again. These days we live in Bellevue and the 6 km ride to school takes about 10 minutes. Oh, and parking at my place of work used to cost me CHF 60 a month (not expensive I think, but now I park for free. After all you're Dutch or you're not.

However, it seems that I am the only parent dropping off his offspring at the Ecolint nations campus. Literally tons and tons of cars, only one scooter (parents handling more than one child of course don't have this option - that is, I haven't yet spotted scooters with a sidecar). So based on this non-representative sample, and based on the very small number of posts on 'scootering' in Gevena (most without any replies, to boot) I am deducing that expats just don't get around on scooters in Geneva. So, almost all of those scooters that you do see are not expats.

Now I already had a motorcycle driver's license when I arrived, but it turns out anyone can buy a 125 cc scooter (plenty fast) and get the proper license by just following a very short (4 or 8 hours, not totally sure) theory course without having to pass a practical driving test. Bit dangerous if you ask me, but there you have it. Besides, if all those locals can do it, so can you?

So ... the question is ... do you or your expat friends get around on a scooter in Geneva? Have you ever considered it? If not, why? (I wonder whether this post will get any replies Smile)

The text you are quoting:

We moved to Geneva about a year ago, initially rented an apartment in Plainpalais. Every day. I would drve my 10-year son to the Ecolint Nations campus by car ... Then I quickly started noticing that, while I was mostly sitting in this morning rush hour traffick, there were all of these nifty scooters, passing me left and right, always pulling right up to the traffic lights, going wherever they needed right now. The nightly struggle to find a parking place for that car made me more curious ... it was obvious scooters could park just about anywhere and they did not seem to need a permit.

So ... I bought a 125 cc scooter and life got better. So did my fuel consumption and related carbon footprint ... going from maybe 8 kms to the liter to better than 30 ... Parking? Just point. Rain? We have the old Dutch rainsuit that neatly folds up into the 35 liter topcase, always at the ready. And if I have to take a plane somewhere, I take that scooter and park it, for free, dry & covered, just a few steps outside the departures terminal. Real handy. The car no longer suffers the wear and tear of cold-start-short-city-trips and when we feel like going into town we're not scared off by the endless rows of cars slowly nudging ahead - we simply whisk by. I could go on.

Coming from Holland I would actually prefer the bicycle, however I am not allowed by law to transport my son on the back (bit of a culture shock that was) ... Public transportation is pretty good, but it takes about 3 quarters of an hour to get to that school ... and then back again. These days we live in Bellevue and the 6 km ride to school takes about 10 minutes. Oh, and parking at my place of work used to cost me CHF 60 a month (not expensive I think, but now I park for free. After all you're Dutch or you're not.

However, it seems that I am the only parent dropping off his offspring at the Ecolint nations campus. Literally tons and tons of cars, only one scooter (parents handling more than one child of course don't have this option - that is, I haven't yet spotted scooters with a sidecar). So based on this non-representative sample, and based on the very small number of posts on 'scootering' in Gevena (most without any replies, to boot) I am deducing that expats just don't get around on scooters in Geneva. So, almost all of those scooters that you do see are not expats.

Now I already had a motorcycle driver's license when I arrived, but it turns out anyone can buy a 125 cc scooter (plenty fast) and get the proper license by just following a very short (4 or 8 hours, not totally sure) theory course without having to pass a practical driving test. Bit dangerous if you ask me, but there you have it. Besides, if all those locals can do it, so can you?

So ... the question is ... do you or your expat friends get around on a scooter in Geneva? Have you ever considered it? If not, why? (I wonder whether this post will get any replies Smile)

Cees KOct 9, 2010 @ 22:11
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

19 Replies | 2741 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: A scooter .... why not?
Post 1

A scooter with a sidecar ?  How about this one

Laughing

A scooter with a sidecar ?  How about this one

Laughing

WOJA M, Oct 9, 2010 @ 23:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

That's priceless ... and think of all the possible variations!

That's priceless ... and think of all the possible variations!

Cees K, Oct 10, 2010 @ 00:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Cees,

How about during winter? What is your experience? I am considering right now.

Dom

Cees,

How about during winter? What is your experience? I am considering right now.

Dom

dom p, Oct 12, 2010 @ 20:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Good question - apparently, many scooter owners leave it in the garage during the winter. There is even a standard insurance policy for that, where coverage is suspended during the colder months.

I got my scooter first in January and I'm told we had a fairly cold winter with more than usual amounts of snow last year. Nevertheless, I was able to continue riding in comfort throughout, never once having to decide to take car or public transport - and I'm not someone who likes to 'tough it out' either. I just made sure to dress warm enough, with good gloves. Having a good, standard-tall windshield also helps quite a bit and, in city driving, speeds are moderate so you don't catch a lot of cold wind anyway.

So I found it was quite ok to drive through the winter. But I did notice, when warmer weather arrived, from one day to the next there were many more scooters (and more serious motorcycles for that matter) on the road.

Good question - apparently, many scooter owners leave it in the garage during the winter. There is even a standard insurance policy for that, where coverage is suspended during the colder months.

I got my scooter first in January and I'm told we had a fairly cold winter with more than usual amounts of snow last year. Nevertheless, I was able to continue riding in comfort throughout, never once having to decide to take car or public transport - and I'm not someone who likes to 'tough it out' either. I just made sure to dress warm enough, with good gloves. Having a good, standard-tall windshield also helps quite a bit and, in city driving, speeds are moderate so you don't catch a lot of cold wind anyway.

So I found it was quite ok to drive through the winter. But I did notice, when warmer weather arrived, from one day to the next there were many more scooters (and more serious motorcycles for that matter) on the road.

Cees K, Oct 12, 2010 @ 21:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

I have been driving a scooter since 1993 and wouldn't leave ot for the world:) ok I also have the luxury of owning a car so should the weather become nasty, I have a choice: comfy traffic or quick in the cold!

The best of both worlds:)

I have been driving a scooter since 1993 and wouldn't leave ot for the world:) ok I also have the luxury of owning a car so should the weather become nasty, I have a choice: comfy traffic or quick in the cold!

The best of both worlds:)

hay_, Oct 12, 2010 @ 22:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

I have a car and a scooter.  I love riding on my scooter all summer long.  Going from point A to B is a breeze on a scooter as compared to the car in Geneva.  it literally brings a smile to my face just thinking about riding the scooter here.  Love my scootie.  But I will be parking it in the garage from now till about end of April.  

I have a car and a scooter.  I love riding on my scooter all summer long.  Going from point A to B is a breeze on a scooter as compared to the car in Geneva.  it literally brings a smile to my face just thinking about riding the scooter here.  Love my scootie.  But I will be parking it in the garage from now till about end of April.  

JustChilling, Oct 12, 2010 @ 23:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Cees:

I use a scooter in Geneva, and it's great. Makes life so easy

But like JustChilling, I also use it only in the warmer months...

Nir

Cees:

I use a scooter in Geneva, and it's great. Makes life so easy

But like JustChilling, I also use it only in the warmer months...

Nir

Nir Ofek, Oct 12, 2010 @ 23:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Forget scooters, get a real bike

Tongue out

Forget scooters, get a real bike

Tongue out

WOJA M, Oct 12, 2010 @ 23:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

jeeez man have you ever heard of a thing called tongue and cheek ?!?!? 

I've probably been riding bikes longuer than you have, been all around Europe, done some race tracks, 1/4 mile racing, all year round rider, had dozens of bike so I don't think I am into it for the cool n macho shit you mentionned.Wink

jeeez man have you ever heard of a thing called tongue and cheek ?!?!? 

I've probably been riding bikes longuer than you have, been all around Europe, done some race tracks, 1/4 mile racing, all year round rider, had dozens of bike so I don't think I am into it for the cool n macho shit you mentionned.Wink

WOJA M, Oct 13, 2010 @ 00:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Mirror mirror on the wall who is the greatest fool of all...

I did read the question I just felt like putting some humour in, my god man don't be so sensitive

You know what I find quite funny about your comment, is that you ride exactly the kind of bike that epitomises macho n cool, a cruiser !  Now don't get me wrong I have nothing against them and I respect all kind of bikes and bikers but please spare me those ridiculous comments you made.

And you bit about legs getting wet, no shit Sherlock, really ?  I am glad you pointed that out to me, i think I have just fell donw on planet earth and learnt something.

Anyway I respect you and your bike, the places you have been to and all the wonderfull adventures lying ahead for you, for me and for the world

There is just one thing I need to know

W the F ?!?! are people so damn sensitive these days !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IT WAS A JOKE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmile

Mirror mirror on the wall who is the greatest fool of all...

I did read the question I just felt like putting some humour in, my god man don't be so sensitive

You know what I find quite funny about your comment, is that you ride exactly the kind of bike that epitomises macho n cool, a cruiser !  Now don't get me wrong I have nothing against them and I respect all kind of bikes and bikers but please spare me those ridiculous comments you made.

And you bit about legs getting wet, no shit Sherlock, really ?  I am glad you pointed that out to me, i think I have just fell donw on planet earth and learnt something.

Anyway I respect you and your bike, the places you have been to and all the wonderfull adventures lying ahead for you, for me and for the world

There is just one thing I need to know

W the F ?!?! are people so damn sensitive these days !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IT WAS A JOKE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmile

WOJA M, Oct 13, 2010 @ 00:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

I really don't know what to say ?!?!

Oh well you won.

Tongue out

I really don't know what to say ?!?!

Oh well you won.

Tongue out

WOJA M, Oct 13, 2010 @ 00:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Justdoit: listen, I think you're trying to help, but your approach to Woja's reply is just "out there". Relax man. This is not the 1st time these things happen with you. Just relax.

Nir, glocals moderator

Justdoit: listen, I think you're trying to help, but your approach to Woja's reply is just "out there". Relax man. This is not the 1st time these things happen with you. Just relax.

Nir, glocals moderator

Nir Ofek, Oct 13, 2010 @ 08:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Question guys, what sort of parking is available for scooters?

Question guys, what sort of parking is available for scooters?

dom p, Oct 13, 2010 @ 09:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

Dom:

If you're talking about daily parking, then it's really not an issue. There's parking for scooters all over Geneva, and even if you jzst park the scoot anywhere, the chance of a fine is very low. Parking a scoot is really not an issue.

If you're talking about long term parking for winter: I don't know. I just use my own garage.

Nir

Dom:

If you're talking about daily parking, then it's really not an issue. There's parking for scooters all over Geneva, and even if you jzst park the scoot anywhere, the chance of a fine is very low. Parking a scoot is really not an issue.

If you're talking about long term parking for winter: I don't know. I just use my own garage.

Nir

Nir Ofek, Oct 13, 2010 @ 09:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

Thanks Nir,

1- How much usually the cost of parking the scooters in public place?

2- If I rent one garage for a car, can I use it to park my scooter as well?

3- I see some scooters on sale here around 1000 to 1500CHF. Is it a norm rate for used scooters or I can get cheaper than that?

4- What about servicing of used scooter? How expensive is expensive? Are they going for the hour rate or per service here?

*** If the questions seem to be out of topic, please kindly move it to the correct place. But I thought since it is all about scooters, it is better to keep this questions here.

Dom

Thanks Nir,

1- How much usually the cost of parking the scooters in public place?

2- If I rent one garage for a car, can I use it to park my scooter as well?

3- I see some scooters on sale here around 1000 to 1500CHF. Is it a norm rate for used scooters or I can get cheaper than that?

4- What about servicing of used scooter? How expensive is expensive? Are they going for the hour rate or per service here?

*** If the questions seem to be out of topic, please kindly move it to the correct place. But I thought since it is all about scooters, it is better to keep this questions here.

Dom

dom p, Oct 13, 2010 @ 09:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

Dom:

If you're planning to pay for parking your scooter in public places, then you're not the scooter type of guy...(-:

The advantage in scooters is that you move between cars in traffic & you park it everywhere for free. Otherwise, get a cheap car or an expensive eBike...Cool

Nir

Dom:

If you're planning to pay for parking your scooter in public places, then you're not the scooter type of guy...(-:

The advantage in scooters is that you move between cars in traffic & you park it everywhere for free. Otherwise, get a cheap car or an expensive eBike...Cool

Nir

Nir Ofek, Oct 13, 2010 @ 17:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

what is it? a b-king?

what is it? a b-king?

François-Xavier OGI, Oct 13, 2010 @ 18:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

what is it? a b-king?

Oct 13, 10 18:47

Hi Xavier

Yes it's the notorious B-King indeed.  The pre-production model.  MY dream but hey I would probably be in jail now if I had one of those machines.Wink

I am glad you spotted it. 185 bhp of pure fun

Hihi

See you soon, (Verbois)

Hi Xavier

Yes it's the notorious B-King indeed.  The pre-production model.  MY dream but hey I would probably be in jail now if I had one of those machines.Wink

I am glad you spotted it. 185 bhp of pure fun

Hihi

See you soon, (Verbois)

WOJA M, Oct 13, 2010 @ 18:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

Wow, this thread sure livened up today. I think keeping this going as a thread for 'all things scooter' would be good since there is very little elsewhere on the forums and I do think, for all the advantages pointed out, that more people ought to consider getting one (free parking everywhere including the airport, the quickest way to get from A to B in town, and 30 kms to the liter of fuel; compared to bicycles, you can actually get up the hills without having to be Lance Armstrong etc).

I have not taken my scooter in for service yet, but don't expect too high cost. I got a used one (Honda SH 125 i) that was as good as new for CHF 3.600 and I think it is good for another 30 thousand km without major service.

Oh, and I do have two motorcycles at our second home in the French countryside. One a Husaberg FE 550 and one very similar to that, a Husqvarna 510 SMR. But that's off-topic.Laughing

Wow, this thread sure livened up today. I think keeping this going as a thread for 'all things scooter' would be good since there is very little elsewhere on the forums and I do think, for all the advantages pointed out, that more people ought to consider getting one (free parking everywhere including the airport, the quickest way to get from A to B in town, and 30 kms to the liter of fuel; compared to bicycles, you can actually get up the hills without having to be Lance Armstrong etc).

I have not taken my scooter in for service yet, but don't expect too high cost. I got a used one (Honda SH 125 i) that was as good as new for CHF 3.600 and I think it is good for another 30 thousand km without major service.

Oh, and I do have two motorcycles at our second home in the French countryside. One a Husaberg FE 550 and one very similar to that, a Husqvarna 510 SMR. But that's off-topic.Laughing

Cees K, Oct 13, 2010 @ 21:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
19 Replies | 2741 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form