Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Advice on Buying Ski and Boots

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Advice on Buying Ski and Boots

Hi,

I am thinking about buying snow skis and boots and need some advice.  I am an intermediate skier but I think I will improve quickly as I have never really skiied consistently (only once a year for the past few years).  Right now I mostly stay on the pistes.  I am comfortable on reds...can get down black but slowly!  What should I be looking for when buying skis?  Type?  Brand? How much should I expect to spend?  What about boots?  What type of boots?  Thanks for any help!

Kat

The text you are quoting:

Hi,

I am thinking about buying snow skis and boots and need some advice.  I am an intermediate skier but I think I will improve quickly as I have never really skiied consistently (only once a year for the past few years).  Right now I mostly stay on the pistes.  I am comfortable on reds...can get down black but slowly!  What should I be looking for when buying skis?  Type?  Brand? How much should I expect to spend?  What about boots?  What type of boots?  Thanks for any help!

Kat

Kat SJan 20, 2010 @ 08:51
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

3 Replies | 862 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Advice on Buying Ski and Boots
Post 1

Hi Kat,

I had very similar requirements to yours. Went to a few shops and tried a few different type of boots and skies.

I suggest you try speaking to Mitch at Penseyres (7 Rue de Neuchatel, www.penseyres-sports.com). He was both very professional and friendly, and helped me and my wife find the best equipment, must suitable to our needs. Highly recommended.

In most shops you can rent the skies for the season, and then decide at the end if you want to return or keep them. They will also fix/replace your boots if you find them uncomfortable.

If you need more info please do not hesitate to ask

Best regards,
Avi

Hi Kat,

I had very similar requirements to yours. Went to a few shops and tried a few different type of boots and skies.

I suggest you try speaking to Mitch at Penseyres (7 Rue de Neuchatel, www.penseyres-sports.com). He was both very professional and friendly, and helped me and my wife find the best equipment, must suitable to our needs. Highly recommended.

In most shops you can rent the skies for the season, and then decide at the end if you want to return or keep them. They will also fix/replace your boots if you find them uncomfortable.

If you need more info please do not hesitate to ask

Best regards,
Avi

Avi_, Jan 20, 2010 @ 09:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Avi,

Thanks for the advice.  I did rent skis last weekend from Penseyres and they were great.  I will head over there today or tomorrow and get some more info.  I did talk to someone at Oschners and they gave me some basic info but I want to really make sure I am getting exactly what I need.  Also, saw your posting about skiing on Saturday.  I would love to head to slopes anytime but I think this Saturday my husband and I will be running around town looking at skis!  We are thinking about hitting the slopes on Sunday though...

Kat

Avi,

Thanks for the advice.  I did rent skis last weekend from Penseyres and they were great.  I will head over there today or tomorrow and get some more info.  I did talk to someone at Oschners and they gave me some basic info but I want to really make sure I am getting exactly what I need.  Also, saw your posting about skiing on Saturday.  I would love to head to slopes anytime but I think this Saturday my husband and I will be running around town looking at skis!  We are thinking about hitting the slopes on Sunday though...

Kat

Kat S, Jan 20, 2010 @ 09:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

You could also try SB sports in Gland. Ring and make an appointment with Adam, a very nice Canadian, for boot fitting. He took about  3 hours with me going through various boots and options. A lot depends on the shape of your feet!! Also there are a multitude of boots for different jobs. I would strongly recommend buying boots, but would hold off on the skis, for many reasons. See if you can get a season rental and then you can always change them around and see what suits. Contrary to what the manufacturers say there are no truly "All Round" skis, Buying this seasons latest model skis I consider to be a waste of money.....

You could also try SB sports in Gland. Ring and make an appointment with Adam, a very nice Canadian, for boot fitting. He took about  3 hours with me going through various boots and options. A lot depends on the shape of your feet!! Also there are a multitude of boots for different jobs. I would strongly recommend buying boots, but would hold off on the skis, for many reasons. See if you can get a season rental and then you can always change them around and see what suits. Contrary to what the manufacturers say there are no truly "All Round" skis, Buying this seasons latest model skis I consider to be a waste of money.....

brucelawson, Jan 20, 2010 @ 13:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
3 Replies | 862 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form