Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Anyone successfully fight a bus fine in Geneva?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Anyone successfully fight a bus fine in Geneva?

A little bit of advice sought.. thanks!

so today morning i was riding the bus on my last monthly bus pass that expired on july 1st. i know, i should have walked, but it was only 3 stops to gare cornavin to buy the ticket, and i had my passport and everything to buy my monthly 25 years or younger bus pass. the controllers got on, and gave me a ticket even though i told them i was on my way to gare cornavin, that i didn't have change but only a credit card (which i used to pay the fine on the spot... funny they take cards to let you pay a fine, but they don't have cards for the machines to buy tickets at bus stops), and that i have only recently come to geneva from the US and have only been here for one month. plus, i thought that someone at the ticket office had told me that they i was allowed to use the pass for an extra 4 days of the following month, like they do in san francisco.

basically, is there any way to fight the 80 franc fine? i am planning on going down to Bachet to the fine office to fight it. has anyone successfully done this? it was perfectly clear that i was on my way to buy a monthly pass (i had my passport etc), and in the US they would have probably let me go.

any advice greatly appreciated!

The text you are quoting:

A little bit of advice sought.. thanks!

so today morning i was riding the bus on my last monthly bus pass that expired on july 1st. i know, i should have walked, but it was only 3 stops to gare cornavin to buy the ticket, and i had my passport and everything to buy my monthly 25 years or younger bus pass. the controllers got on, and gave me a ticket even though i told them i was on my way to gare cornavin, that i didn't have change but only a credit card (which i used to pay the fine on the spot... funny they take cards to let you pay a fine, but they don't have cards for the machines to buy tickets at bus stops), and that i have only recently come to geneva from the US and have only been here for one month. plus, i thought that someone at the ticket office had told me that they i was allowed to use the pass for an extra 4 days of the following month, like they do in san francisco.

basically, is there any way to fight the 80 franc fine? i am planning on going down to Bachet to the fine office to fight it. has anyone successfully done this? it was perfectly clear that i was on my way to buy a monthly pass (i had my passport etc), and in the US they would have probably let me go.

any advice greatly appreciated!

avy mJul 5, 2010 @ 14:02
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

2 Replies | 979 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Anyone successfully fight a bus fine in Geneva?
Post 1

Ive been issued a fine a few days after a pass of mine had expired. Im not sure if you will get your 80 francs back but what I did was bought my monthly pass that same day of my fine, took it to the office in Bachet and instead of paying 80 francs the fine was reduced to 6frs. Its the amount you pay if you have a pass but, say, forgot to carry it with you that day.

So you could try that and see if they refund your money...

Ive been issued a fine a few days after a pass of mine had expired. Im not sure if you will get your 80 francs back but what I did was bought my monthly pass that same day of my fine, took it to the office in Bachet and instead of paying 80 francs the fine was reduced to 6frs. Its the amount you pay if you have a pass but, say, forgot to carry it with you that day.

So you could try that and see if they refund your money...

selena, Jul 5, 2010 @ 14:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Re: Anyone successfully fight a bus fine in Geneva?
Post 2

Hey Selena, so I took your advice and went to Bachet, and after explaining my situation to them, and after much cajoling, they gave me a bus pass but did not remove the fine. But I am satisfied - a well-played draw in my book!

Hey Selena, so I took your advice and went to Bachet, and after explaining my situation to them, and after much cajoling, they gave me a bus pass but did not remove the fine. But I am satisfied - a well-played draw in my book!

avy m, Jul 5, 2010 @ 17:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
2 Replies | 979 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form