Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Appartement lease termination for expatriation

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Appartement lease termination for expatriation

Hi all,

After two years in Geneva, I'm about to go back to Paris for good. I informed my régie 3 months in advance (I'll leave Geneva end of Janury), but they answered me that if I cannot find someone to replace me, I will have to pay until the end of the lease contract - June 2015!

I thought that leaving the country for professional reasons was a sufficient reason to break a appartement lease contract... Does anyone know about it?

Thanks very much in advance!

Rod

The text you are quoting:

Hi all,

After two years in Geneva, I'm about to go back to Paris for good. I informed my régie 3 months in advance (I'll leave Geneva end of Janury), but they answered me that if I cannot find someone to replace me, I will have to pay until the end of the lease contract - June 2015!

I thought that leaving the country for professional reasons was a sufficient reason to break a appartement lease contract... Does anyone know about it?

Thanks very much in advance!

Rod

Rodophe HOct 28, 2014 @ 11:26
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

5 Replies | 973 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Appartement lease termination for expatriation
Post 1

Unless you have a 'clause diplomatique' in your lease that specifically states that you can cancell the lease with 3 months notice if transferred abroad, you have to honor the lease, which you say is until June 2015.  

Good luck!

Unless you have a 'clause diplomatique' in your lease that specifically states that you can cancell the lease with 3 months notice if transferred abroad, you have to honor the lease, which you say is until June 2015.  

Good luck!

Matthew W, Oct 28, 2014 @ 11:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Do you think it would be problematic to find someone willing to take over your lease?

Talk to ASLOCA - they can definitely advise you something.

Do you think it would be problematic to find someone willing to take over your lease?

Talk to ASLOCA - they can definitely advise you something.

Lida N, Oct 28, 2014 @ 18:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Rodolphe, leaving the country for professional reasons is not a sufficient reason for an early termination of the lease contract. Most probably your lease is renewable each time for one year until June. I invite you to look for a suitable candidate to replace you. Otherwise you face the obligations raised by the régie.

Rodolphe, leaving the country for professional reasons is not a sufficient reason for an early termination of the lease contract. Most probably your lease is renewable each time for one year until June. I invite you to look for a suitable candidate to replace you. Otherwise you face the obligations raised by the régie.

Alexandre P, Oct 28, 2014 @ 18:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hi guys,

Thanks very much for your answers, which confirm what I was suspecting...

Cheers,

Rod

Hi guys,

Thanks very much for your answers, which confirm what I was suspecting...

Cheers,

Rod

Rodophe H, Oct 28, 2014 @ 21:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hi, Rodophe!

If your apartment is 2 pièces or 4 pièce at a responsable price, I know people that could be interested in.  Let me know. 

P.S. For Holmes Place my professional reasons were not enough to interrupt my Club card. Just a fitness club!!!!!??!!!!

Hi, Rodophe!

If your apartment is 2 pièces or 4 pièce at a responsable price, I know people that could be interested in.  Let me know. 

P.S. For Holmes Place my professional reasons were not enough to interrupt my Club card. Just a fitness club!!!!!??!!!!

Olga M, Oct 29, 2014 @ 00:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
5 Replies | 973 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form