Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Are you taxable (by CH) on what you earned before moving to Switzerland?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Are you taxable (by CH) on what you earned before moving to Switzerland?

Hi all,

a friend (Swiss) married someone last year that had just moved to Switzerland. This person worked in their home country and already paid income taxes there (at source) and has not worked in Switzerland. The taxes are asking them now for the foreign spouse's "certificat de salaire" for last year. My friend asked me if this is correct. To me it seems a bit odd because if this person didn't live in Switzerland and already paid taxes on their income why would they be taxable for this when arriving in Switzerland? I wonder if they made a mistake, maybe they don't know that this person just moved here and has never worked here.

Has anyone had a case like this before?

Thanks

The text you are quoting:

Hi all,

a friend (Swiss) married someone last year that had just moved to Switzerland. This person worked in their home country and already paid income taxes there (at source) and has not worked in Switzerland. The taxes are asking them now for the foreign spouse's "certificat de salaire" for last year. My friend asked me if this is correct. To me it seems a bit odd because if this person didn't live in Switzerland and already paid taxes on their income why would they be taxable for this when arriving in Switzerland? I wonder if they made a mistake, maybe they don't know that this person just moved here and has never worked here.

Thanks

sureAug 10, 2014 @ 21:52
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

8 Replies | 1085 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Are you taxable (by CH) on what you earned before moving to Switzerland?
Post 1

Ask Aymeric Brossard of Allianz: [email protected]

Ask Aymeric Brossard of Allianz: [email protected]

Nir Ofek, Aug 10, 2014 @ 22:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Thanks Mir

Thanks Mir

sure, Aug 10, 2014 @ 22:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hi all,

Thanks

Aug 10, 14 21:52

Hi,

The certificat de salaire will prove:

1) the spouse worked abroad

2) how long she worked there so they can confirm no possible income during that time in Switzerland.

The demand is perfectly normal.

Plus when a swiss person marries a foreigner, both will be taxed under the "Déclaration fiscale" that replaces the source tax foreigners usually pay. If the spouse starts working in switzerland, she will not even pay source tax but her earnings will be combined to your friend's and both taxed together under the "Déclaration fiscale".

I give you a short summary of different cases and the tax regime:

Déclaration fiscale for  : Swiss single person, Swiss person married to a foreigner, Permit C holder

Source tax for: permit B holder (except if the permit B holder is married to a swiss) and most if not all other permit holders

International workers : no taxes

This is a basic summary as they are a lot of exceptions (even with the above but they are proportionally speaking rare) but just too long to state here.

PS: my husband is a tax expert.... hope it helps! Smile

Hi,

The certificat de salaire will prove:

1) the spouse worked abroad

2) how long she worked there so they can confirm no possible income during that time in Switzerland.

The demand is perfectly normal.

Plus when a swiss person marries a foreigner, both will be taxed under the "Déclaration fiscale" that replaces the source tax foreigners usually pay. If the spouse starts working in switzerland, she will not even pay source tax but her earnings will be combined to your friend's and both taxed together under the "Déclaration fiscale".

I give you a short summary of different cases and the tax regime:

Déclaration fiscale for  : Swiss single person, Swiss person married to a foreigner, Permit C holder

Source tax for: permit B holder (except if the permit B holder is married to a swiss) and most if not all other permit holders

International workers : no taxes

This is a basic summary as they are a lot of exceptions (even with the above but they are proportionally speaking rare) but just too long to state here.

PS: my husband is a tax expert.... hope it helps! Smile

Anna Pearl, Aug 10, 2014 @ 23:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Thanks Asia Gsi! It makes more sense now, my friend sends his thanks.

I am sure this will help someone else in the future.

Thanks Asia Gsi! It makes more sense now, my friend sends his thanks.

I am sure this will help someone else in the future.

sure, Aug 12, 2014 @ 22:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

I have a tax question if anyone can answer.  Im on a c permit so pay tax at the end of the year.  I put money aside into another account to pay this bill.  My question is, should I load my government tax account (those pink slips we recieve) with this money in say November because if it appears on my end of year bank account statements/certficates, will they tax me on my personal wealth even if that money is allocated to tax purposes?

Or should I wait until the tax bill is recieved and then pay the outstanding amount? 

No matter how small this wealth tax maybe I would recent paying tax on money that was allocated to the tax man.  In affect this would mean its more benifical to have a b permit and have that money go from source

I have a tax question if anyone can answer.  Im on a c permit so pay tax at the end of the year.  I put money aside into another account to pay this bill.  My question is, should I load my government tax account (those pink slips we recieve) with this money in say November because if it appears on my end of year bank account statements/certficates, will they tax me on my personal wealth even if that money is allocated to tax purposes?

Or should I wait until the tax bill is recieved and then pay the outstanding amount? 

No matter how small this wealth tax maybe I would recent paying tax on money that was allocated to the tax man.  In affect this would mean its more benifical to have a b permit and have that money go from source

peaky, Aug 13, 2014 @ 09:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Aug 13, 14 09:25

Depends what you do with your money now, if you invested it and it makes money for you pay at the last resort but before the deadline as to when they look what funds you have.

If you don't invest and its just sitting in a bank account pay earlier because the Swiss tax actually pays you more interest then the banks :-) for your money.

Depends what you do with your money now, if you invested it and it makes money for you pay at the last resort but before the deadline as to when they look what funds you have.

If you don't invest and its just sitting in a bank account pay earlier because the Swiss tax actually pays you more interest then the banks :-) for your money.

smile2sandro, Aug 13, 2014 @ 11:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Aug 13, 14 09:25

Hello Peaky,

Please let me know if you received a clear answer to your question or have another question regarding taxes.

Hello Peaky,

Please let me know if you received a clear answer to your question or have another question regarding taxes.

Anna Pearl, Sep 2, 2014 @ 15:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Hi

Yes all clear for me, thanks

Hi

Yes all clear for me, thanks

peaky, Sep 3, 2014 @ 11:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
8 Replies | 1085 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form