Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Bank account

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Bank account

My problem is probably completely banal but I seriously do not know what to do.

My situation looks as follows:

I have an UBS account + Visa card with expiration date march 2011.

I am finishing my contract in a few weeks and leaving Geneva.
Do not have another job yet and since I saved a few thousands I would like to travel for a few weeks/months before settling down and looking for a new job.

And the only problem is that UBS said that the day my Geneva contract is finished they block my account and my Visa card even though the expiration date is in 5 months.

I talked to Banque Cantonal and they told me that the only account they can open for me is a saving account but I would have to be in Geneva to withdraw any money from it. They said that they will not open a normal account for somebody who is not working.

Is that really impossible to find a solution that I store money somewhere and I reveive a card that I can use in ATMs in Europe even though I do not work?

I am not interested in taking a credit, all I want is some safe place to store my money, since right now it looks that the only possibility is to travel with cash like in ancient times.

The text you are quoting:

My problem is probably completely banal but I seriously do not know what to do.

My situation looks as follows:

I have an UBS account + Visa card with expiration date march 2011.

I am finishing my contract in a few weeks and leaving Geneva.
Do not have another job yet and since I saved a few thousands I would like to travel for a few weeks/months before settling down and looking for a new job.

And the only problem is that UBS said that the day my Geneva contract is finished they block my account and my Visa card even though the expiration date is in 5 months.

I talked to Banque Cantonal and they told me that the only account they can open for me is a saving account but I would have to be in Geneva to withdraw any money from it. They said that they will not open a normal account for somebody who is not working.

Is that really impossible to find a solution that I store money somewhere and I reveive a card that I can use in ATMs in Europe even though I do not work?

I am not interested in taking a credit, all I want is some safe place to store my money, since right now it looks that the only possibility is to travel with cash like in ancient times.

aardwolfOct 13, 2010 @ 10:34
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

16 Replies | 2087 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Bank account
Post 1

If I would be planning to go anywhere I would not have a problem at all - I would simply open a new account in that new place.

My problem is that I would like travel from one country to another for some time and it looks like impossible only because of lack of banking possibilities.

If I would be planning to go anywhere I would not have a problem at all - I would simply open a new account in that new place.

My problem is that I would like travel from one country to another for some time and it looks like impossible only because of lack of banking possibilities.

aardwolf, Oct 13, 2010 @ 12:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Did you check at Post Finance? They have different sets (Private Set or Online Set). The advantage is that you can check your account online, withdraw money abroad and there seems to be no requirement that you must work in Switzerland. I do not really know if it is the best option, but you can always have a look at their website.

Did you check at Post Finance? They have different sets (Private Set or Online Set). The advantage is that you can check your account online, withdraw money abroad and there seems to be no requirement that you must work in Switzerland. I do not really know if it is the best option, but you can always have a look at their website.

Nettie, Oct 13, 2010 @ 12:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Aardwolf,

You might try some French bank.  They have looser regulations than Swiss ones, and the border is just a few miles away.

Aardwolf,

You might try some French bank.  They have looser regulations than Swiss ones, and the border is just a few miles away.

TheOmegaMan, Oct 13, 2010 @ 13:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Since every year I need to show them a paper stating that my contract is prolonged. And this year I do not have this paper anymore.

Since every year I need to show them a paper stating that my contract is prolonged. And this year I do not have this paper anymore.

aardwolf, Oct 13, 2010 @ 16:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

A complicated but workable solution is if you currently have a work permit, apply for a pre paid credit card from Cornercard.ch.  And open that savings account that you mentioned.  You can load up to chf 10,000 on your prepaid card, and it's protected in case of theft, etc.  Dump the rest of your money into that savings account.

A complicated but workable solution is if you currently have a work permit, apply for a pre paid credit card from Cornercard.ch.  And open that savings account that you mentioned.  You can load up to chf 10,000 on your prepaid card, and it's protected in case of theft, etc.  Dump the rest of your money into that savings account.

LaurenM, Oct 18, 2010 @ 10:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Oh, and for the record.  I had a Post finance account.  And I never had to show anything but my passport to open it.  And even though it was an American one, (we always get hassled for banks purposes), I still had no problem.  Maybe you should try that.  Don't tell them your leaving.  What they don't know doesn't kill them.   They just need an address.  Use a friends!

Oh, and for the record.  I had a Post finance account.  And I never had to show anything but my passport to open it.  And even though it was an American one, (we always get hassled for banks purposes), I still had no problem.  Maybe you should try that.  Don't tell them your leaving.  What they don't know doesn't kill them.   They just need an address.  Use a friends!

LaurenM, Oct 18, 2010 @ 10:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Go to postfinance. I had opposite issues when I came here, I already had a work contract but still had to wait for the residence permit. No bank except Postfinance wanted me because I didn't have a residence permit yet...

Go to postfinance. I had opposite issues when I came here, I already had a work contract but still had to wait for the residence permit. No bank except Postfinance wanted me because I didn't have a residence permit yet...

Laurent H, Oct 18, 2010 @ 22:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

this sounds completely wrong and makes no sense. many ubs account holders in switzerland are out of work, and on "chomage" and have active bank accounts. i would request to speak to someone at ubs who is knowledgeable. you can ask how is it possible that they close/block client's accounts who are out of work.

this sounds completely wrong and makes no sense. many ubs account holders in switzerland are out of work, and on "chomage" and have active bank accounts. i would request to speak to someone at ubs who is knowledgeable. you can ask how is it possible that they close/block client's accounts who are out of work.

epicure, Oct 19, 2010 @ 10:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

I agree, it makes no sense. I kept my bank account at UBS for one year while I was living and working in London, I just gave the bank the address of a friend who lives in Geneva...

I agree, it makes no sense. I kept my bank account at UBS for one year while I was living and working in London, I just gave the bank the address of a friend who lives in Geneva...

Federica, Oct 19, 2010 @ 12:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

" And the only problem is that UBS said that the day my Geneva contract is finished they block my account and my Visa card even though the expiration date is in 5 months."

i think the person who told you that should be fired and left without a job. that is not only misinformation, misleading, but probably illegal ( i'm sure in the small print it is stated they are not allowed to close an account for your end of employment) .

get the person's name and report it to the ubs contact person on glocals. make a real stink. ! there are plenty of out of work banking people who are available to work in his job and give correct information to valued customers.

what are the opinions of my glocal friends here? what say you?

" And the only problem is that UBS said that the day my Geneva contract is finished they block my account and my Visa card even though the expiration date is in 5 months."

i think the person who told you that should be fired and left without a job. that is not only misinformation, misleading, but probably illegal ( i'm sure in the small print it is stated they are not allowed to close an account for your end of employment) .

get the person's name and report it to the ubs contact person on glocals. make a real stink. ! there are plenty of out of work banking people who are available to work in his job and give correct information to valued customers.

what are the opinions of my glocal friends here? what say you?

epicure, Oct 19, 2010 @ 14:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

And hopefully the person who is fired will not be able to access their account!!

It is none of their business if you work or not, as long as you have money in the bank - it is yours.  You earned it.  Sometimes Swiss banks are so archaic...

And hopefully the person who is fired will not be able to access their account!!

It is none of their business if you work or not, as long as you have money in the bank - it is yours.  You earned it.  Sometimes Swiss banks are so archaic...

patsycat, Oct 21, 2010 @ 11:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

I've found UBS employees giving out wrong information before.

Anyway, I have a bank account in France (CIC), the mail goes to wherever I ask them to send it, they don't require any proof of employment or anything else like a local address, and the account came with a debit (Maestro) and VISA card that is accepted most anywhere. I am a EU (Dutch) national so maybe that helps.

I've found UBS employees giving out wrong information before.

Anyway, I have a bank account in France (CIC), the mail goes to wherever I ask them to send it, they don't require any proof of employment or anything else like a local address, and the account came with a debit (Maestro) and VISA card that is accepted most anywhere. I am a EU (Dutch) national so maybe that helps.

Cees K, Oct 25, 2010 @ 01:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

poland is in th EU now, ( pls correct me if i'm wrong)

poland is in th EU now, ( pls correct me if i'm wrong)

epicure, Oct 25, 2010 @ 06:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

I think it is not a problem whether you work or not but if you are registered to live in Switzerland or not. If you are not registered any more, then it is or could be an issue.

I think it is not a problem whether you work or not but if you are registered to live in Switzerland or not. If you are not registered any more, then it is or could be an issue.

Tina Keller, Oct 26, 2010 @ 12:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

Jan 1, 70 01:00

If they go to the authorities to see if you are registered or not

If they go to the authorities to see if you are registered or not

Tina Keller, Oct 26, 2010 @ 12:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

Hi hi.

Today I talked to completely another person, he checked everything and now he is calling me trying to convince me that I do not transfer my money and close my account!

Hi hi.

Today I talked to completely another person, he checked everything and now he is calling me trying to convince me that I do not transfer my money and close my account!

aardwolf, Oct 27, 2010 @ 14:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
16 Replies | 2087 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form