Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Re: Best gym for free weights?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Re: Best gym for free weights?

Hi, Im moving to Geneva next week for a two year contract job and looking to join a gym during my stay. Most of my training is based around bench, deads, squats, press and chins. Could anyone recommend a good gym for this? Ive read about Non-stop being very cheap, but cant tell if they have decent freeweights or not. Was thinking about American fitness or Fitness ACACIAS as it is very close to my apartment.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Cheers,

Eric

The text you are quoting:

Hi, Im moving to Geneva next week for a two year contract job and looking to join a gym during my stay. Most of my training is based around bench, deads, squats, press and chins. Could anyone recommend a good gym for this? Ive read about Non-stop being very cheap, but cant tell if they have decent freeweights or not. Was thinking about American fitness or Fitness ACACIAS as it is very close to my apartment.

Cheers,

Eric

Eric LJul 27, 2014 @ 00:01
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

20 Replies | 2877 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Re: Best gym for free weights?
Post 1

Cheers,

Eric

Jul 27, 14 00:01

I am starting at non-stop hopefully from monday. It has been recently launched (jan 2014 i think) so most of the equipments are new plus if you don't like it there within a week, you can ask for a 100% refund, so they say on their website.

I am starting at non-stop hopefully from monday. It has been recently launched (jan 2014 i think) so most of the equipments are new plus if you don't like it there within a week, you can ask for a 100% refund, so they say on their website.

Nabeel A, Jul 27, 2014 @ 00:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

The only thing that seems a bit weird is that there are no photos on the website, but 49chf per month seems like a great deal.

I wish it had been around when I joined Holmes Place for a little more than three times the price.

Worse still, it is a pretty poor offering.  I wish I could break my contract.

Good luck with Non Stop!

Ray

The only thing that seems a bit weird is that there are no photos on the website, but 49chf per month seems like a great deal.

I wish it had been around when I joined Holmes Place for a little more than three times the price.

Worse still, it is a pretty poor offering.  I wish I could break my contract.

Good luck with Non Stop!

Ray

Ray C, Jul 27, 2014 @ 10:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Let me have a look tomorrow and if possible i'll take some pics and post em here for others.

Let me have a look tomorrow and if possible i'll take some pics and post em here for others.

Nabeel A, Jul 27, 2014 @ 20:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

crossfitgva.com might be another answer.  not so sure that it's cheap though.

david nix, Jul 27, 2014 @ 22:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Jul 27, 14 22:17

Ridiculously expensive. 

Ridiculously expensive. 

Nabeel A, Jul 27, 2014 @ 23:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

I've been asking the same question to everyone I meet for the last month. Doesn't sound like there's much here for heavier lifting. I stopped by The Rouge, but it wasn't very modern. Im thinking I might go to Silhouette. not exactly what I'm looking for, but it's close to my apartment.

I've been asking the same question to everyone I meet for the last month. Doesn't sound like there's much here for heavier lifting. I stopped by The Rouge, but it wasn't very modern. Im thinking I might go to Silhouette. not exactly what I'm looking for, but it's close to my apartment.

Mo Henery, Jul 28, 2014 @ 03:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

I meant The Forge, not The rogue. I guess I was thinking of rogue crossfire in the US. The forge didn't have much equipment. 

I meant The Forge, not The rogue. I guess I was thinking of rogue crossfire in the US. The forge didn't have much equipment. 

Mo Henery, Jul 28, 2014 @ 04:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Silhouette in general is definitely not a good place for free weights. I've been to several of them (my regular is Charmilles) and the problems are the same: very few spots for squatting/deadlifting and even those are always occupied by someone doing bicep curls :)

Heavy and free is not very popular here, it seems. People are more into pumping. Crossfit gyms would be ideal if you only could avoid the whole crossfit part of it...

Silhouette in general is definitely not a good place for free weights. I've been to several of them (my regular is Charmilles) and the problems are the same: very few spots for squatting/deadlifting and even those are always occupied by someone doing bicep curls :)

Heavy and free is not very popular here, it seems. People are more into pumping. Crossfit gyms would be ideal if you only could avoid the whole crossfit part of it...

Kimmo L, Jul 28, 2014 @ 11:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Cannot believe this, its the most basic piece of gym exercise and equipment. Has anyone ever been to Exersuisse around Plainpalais?

Not a big fan of the whole Crossfit hype. Can't believe the gyms in Japan are better in terms of free weights, shocking. Theres gotta be something somewhere lol.

Thanks for all the comments so far though, appreciate it.

Cannot believe this, its the most basic piece of gym exercise and equipment. Has anyone ever been to Exersuisse around Plainpalais?

Not a big fan of the whole Crossfit hype. Can't believe the gyms in Japan are better in terms of free weights, shocking. Theres gotta be something somewhere lol.

Thanks for all the comments so far though, appreciate it.

Eric L, Jul 28, 2014 @ 11:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

From what I could tell from their video: http://www.american-fitness.ch/le-club/

They seem to have at least some free weights, guess Ill have to roam around to different gyms and inquire.

From what I could tell from their video: http://www.american-fitness.ch/le-club/

They seem to have at least some free weights, guess Ill have to roam around to different gyms and inquire.

Eric L, Jul 28, 2014 @ 11:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Well they do have the free weights, but it's the room to use them that is lacking.. All the Silhouettes I've been to have a small corner for free weights and by doing any big barbell movements you're basically occupying the whole space. Which is annoying for everyone.

I would have gone to American Fitness, based on photographs, would it not be in the wrong side of the town.

As for why free weights and traditional weightlifting is not popular here, I've no idea :)

Well they do have the free weights, but it's the room to use them that is lacking.. All the Silhouettes I've been to have a small corner for free weights and by doing any big barbell movements you're basically occupying the whole space. Which is annoying for everyone.

I would have gone to American Fitness, based on photographs, would it not be in the wrong side of the town.

As for why free weights and traditional weightlifting is not popular here, I've no idea :)

Kimmo L, Jul 28, 2014 @ 12:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

I've used a martial arts gym in Plainpalais, called DFC sports. They have Olympic bars and plates. Lots of dumbells, though I don't use heavier than 20kg so can't say how heavy they go. They also have a squat rack, unlike some corporate gyms. I just paid them 15 CHF a time.

There is a proper lifting club in one of the municipal sports centres but I forget which one, sorry! Maybe someone else knows?

I've used a martial arts gym in Plainpalais, called DFC sports. They have Olympic bars and plates. Lots of dumbells, though I don't use heavier than 20kg so can't say how heavy they go. They also have a squat rack, unlike some corporate gyms. I just paid them 15 CHF a time.

There is a proper lifting club in one of the municipal sports centres but I forget which one, sorry! Maybe someone else knows?

Amy Soska, Jul 28, 2014 @ 18:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Thanks Amy, Ill check it out :) Would be nice if they would allow deadlifts over 200 kg etc

Thanks Amy, Ill check it out :) Would be nice if they would allow deadlifts over 200 kg etc

Eric L, Jul 28, 2014 @ 19:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

What Amy is talking about is the ville-geneve salle de musculation, i think. The inscription is at 7:00 am tomorrow and it's only limited to 100 people or so. I was refused by non-stop gym today as they all fully booked for august so i'll give the geneva one, a shot.

What Amy is talking about is the ville-geneve salle de musculation, i think. The inscription is at 7:00 am tomorrow and it's only limited to 100 people or so. I was refused by non-stop gym today as they all fully booked for august so i'll give the geneva one, a shot.

Nabeel A, Jul 28, 2014 @ 20:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

Hi Eric,

American Fitness is the best free weights in GVA. They have olympic bars, plenty of plates and machines for any exercies. Theres 3 bench presses, 2 squat racks and an area big enough to deadlift without asking people to budge. Its a biggish gym but still feels crammed due to the amount of equipment there. I did not meet any Anglo's there while working out and the staff did not speak English. 

Non stop is pretty poor. There's only one bench and one squat rack. Busy times are 5-8.30pm. When I tried to join they asked me for 1 month deposit and told me I could not join until September as it was so busy...this was back in June. 

Hi Eric,

American Fitness is the best free weights in GVA. They have olympic bars, plenty of plates and machines for any exercies. Theres 3 bench presses, 2 squat racks and an area big enough to deadlift without asking people to budge. Its a biggish gym but still feels crammed due to the amount of equipment there. I did not meet any Anglo's there while working out and the staff did not speak English. 

Non stop is pretty poor. There's only one bench and one squat rack. Busy times are 5-8.30pm. When I tried to join they asked me for 1 month deposit and told me I could not join until September as it was so busy...this was back in June. 

Sam I, Jul 29, 2014 @ 16:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

Jul 28, 14 20:36

Its closed at 5.30pm on week days and closed at weekends. This isn't very good if you have a busy job.

Its closed at 5.30pm on week days and closed at weekends. This isn't very good if you have a busy job.

Sam I, Jul 29, 2014 @ 16:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

I just got back from American Fitness. I liked it. Kinda small and out of the way, but it got the job done. I'm glad I brought a change of shoes. They don't let you wear the shoes from the outside into the gym.

I just got back from American Fitness. I liked it. Kinda small and out of the way, but it got the job done. I'm glad I brought a change of shoes. They don't let you wear the shoes from the outside into the gym.

Mo Henery, Aug 6, 2014 @ 20:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

just in case someone is still looking the new nonstop at jonction has a whole floor dedicated to free weights.

just in case someone is still looking the new nonstop at jonction has a whole floor dedicated to free weights.

Marcy S, May 21, 2015 @ 12:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

Jan 1, 70 01:00

Hi Tea,

I still go to Amercian Fitness. Its a good gym and open till 10pm during the week. Loads of equipment and a good mix of people of all backgrounds - albeit mostly French speakers. Im not really talking much there though.....just workout and go!

Hi Tea,

I still go to Amercian Fitness. Its a good gym and open till 10pm during the week. Loads of equipment and a good mix of people of all backgrounds - albeit mostly French speakers. Im not really talking much there though.....just workout and go!

Sam I, May 21, 2015 @ 12:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

I've never used American Fitness but FYI, Nonstop is great, only downside is that it has a waiting list apparently and can be difficult to actually get a membership. But once you're in, I see no reason for complaints

I've never used American Fitness but FYI, Nonstop is great, only downside is that it has a waiting list apparently and can be difficult to actually get a membership. But once you're in, I see no reason for complaints

Oliver D, May 21, 2015 @ 13:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
20 Replies | 2877 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form