Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Best places for hiking / mountain trekking near Geneva?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Best places for hiking / mountain trekking near Geneva?

Hi, may I ask your advice on this?

I'm looking for places which I can reach in maximum 2 hours by train or bus.

I'm not an expert, so easy or medium trails would be better!

Thanks a lot in advance!

Andrea

The text you are quoting:

Hi, may I ask your advice on this?

I'm looking for places which I can reach in maximum 2 hours by train or bus.

I'm not an expert, so easy or medium trails would be better!

Thanks a lot in advance!

Andrea

Andrea SJun 20, 2018 @ 15:36
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

5 Replies | 1374 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Best places for hiking / mountain trekking near Geneva?
Post 1

Almost impossible to answer as there is so much.  2 hoiurs gives you the whole of Vaud Fribourg and some of Neuchatel and west Valais

Before giving more details would need to know what length of walk and difficulty you are looking for and what type opf walk.  Forest, valley technical stuff, summits heidi country. 

Almost impossible to answer as there is so much.  2 hoiurs gives you the whole of Vaud Fribourg and some of Neuchatel and west Valais

Before giving more details would need to know what length of walk and difficulty you are looking for and what type opf walk.  Forest, valley technical stuff, summits heidi country. 

Paul E, Jun 22, 2018 @ 00:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi Paul!

I’m looking for walks that are easy or medium difficulty, summits Heldi country is good, but I appreciate valleys and lakes as well.

The only thing I would like to avoid are places super crowded, I would just like to walk in the nature by myself and find some peace.

Cheers,

Andrea

Hi Paul!

I’m looking for walks that are easy or medium difficulty, summits Heldi country is good, but I appreciate valleys and lakes as well.

The only thing I would like to avoid are places super crowded, I would just like to walk in the nature by myself and find some peace.

Cheers,

Andrea

Andrea S, Jun 22, 2018 @ 07:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

I would suggest you joing a hiking club in Geneva, it's a good way to get to know hiking places with experienced people. There are several hiking events in Geneva you can join. I have made several hikes with Oxygen 74: http://rando-74.pagespro-orange.fr/

Otherwise, starting hiking up the Salève, which is easily accessible from Geneva using the bus number 8 Veyrie Douane. Another easy option is to catch the train to St Cergue and hike up La Dole.

I would suggest you joing a hiking club in Geneva, it's a good way to get to know hiking places with experienced people. There are several hiking events in Geneva you can join. I have made several hikes with Oxygen 74: http://rando-74.pagespro-orange.fr/

Otherwise, starting hiking up the Salève, which is easily accessible from Geneva using the bus number 8 Veyrie Douane. Another easy option is to catch the train to St Cergue and hike up La Dole.

geojusto, Jun 22, 2018 @ 08:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Another option to reach the Salève paths is from Croix-de-Rozon, which - I believe - is a nicer area of the Salève than the Veyrier area.

Take bus 44 from Carouge to Croix-de-Rozon, walk through the French border and then  through the village of Collonges-sous-Salève to Grande-Gorge path or to Sentier de l'Orjobet path (I guess it takes a minimum of 30 min. from the bus stop, but it's worth it).

Once on the top, you can walk the all the way East on the crest to the cable-car station, and take it to Veyrier-Douane (and then bus 8 as geojusto mentionned above)

Another option to reach the Salève paths is from Croix-de-Rozon, which - I believe - is a nicer area of the Salève than the Veyrier area.

Take bus 44 from Carouge to Croix-de-Rozon, walk through the French border and then  through the village of Collonges-sous-Salève to Grande-Gorge path or to Sentier de l'Orjobet path (I guess it takes a minimum of 30 min. from the bus stop, but it's worth it).

Once on the top, you can walk the all the way East on the crest to the cable-car station, and take it to Veyrier-Douane (and then bus 8 as geojusto mentionned above)

Catherine M, Jun 24, 2018 @ 21:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Jun 22, 18 08:49

To hike up the Saleve, try first with the "Amis du Slaeve" ofter advertises on glocals, otherwise easily acessible by bus 8. https://www.rando-saleve.net/

To hike up the Saleve, try first with the "Amis du Slaeve" ofter advertises on glocals, otherwise easily acessible by bus 8. https://www.rando-saleve.net/

tawb, Jun 24, 2018 @ 22:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
5 Replies | 1374 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form