Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Beware: scammers roadblocks near CH-FR border

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Beware: scammers roadblocks near CH-FR border

There is a new scam trend in Geneva: groups of scammers wearing fluorescent vests set up roadblocks near the border, stopping car drivers and asking for money.

They say they collect money for charity, but of course it's a lie.  (Should you believe it, however, please contact me: I have a bridge to sell you.)

Mostly they operate in the Geneva borders, but I have seen them also in Vaud.

It goes without saying that you should not give a cent to these criminals -- and, in general, to anyone stopping you on the street: it's almost always a scam.

GHI article here.

The text you are quoting:

There is a new scam trend in Geneva: groups of scammers wearing fluorescent vests set up roadblocks near the border, stopping car drivers and asking for money.

They say they collect money for charity, but of course it's a lie.  (Should you believe it, however, please contact me: I have a bridge to sell you.)

Mostly they operate in the Geneva borders, but I have seen them also in Vaud.

It goes without saying that you should not give a cent to these criminals -- and, in general, to anyone stopping you on the street: it's almost always a scam.

GHI article here.

TheOmegaManMay 21, 2015 @ 21:17
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

11 Replies | 1373 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Beware: scammers roadblocks near CH-FR border
Post 1

that's a very big step up for the scammers, to set up an actual roadblock

that's a very big step up for the scammers, to set up an actual roadblock

Nir Ofek, May 21, 2015 @ 21:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

If you are sure they are scammers why don't you call police then?

If you are sure they are scammers why don't you call police then?

Liubov D, May 21, 2015 @ 22:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Actually this isnt new, it has been happening at least for the last couple of years occasionally, i remember it occurring two or three times around Meyrin in 2012/13.  They do it near the borders normally with high visibility jackets to actually make you think they are border police or certainly people of some authority. Their activity creates its own queue of cars so actually looks exactly as the real thing would. Its very clever, who wouldnt stop for someone who looks like a border patrol?

Actually this isnt new, it has been happening at least for the last couple of years occasionally, i remember it occurring two or three times around Meyrin in 2012/13.  They do it near the borders normally with high visibility jackets to actually make you think they are border police or certainly people of some authority. Their activity creates its own queue of cars so actually looks exactly as the real thing would. Its very clever, who wouldnt stop for someone who looks like a border patrol?

hucklewoo, May 22, 2015 @ 08:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

They were in Divonne border last week.

They were in Divonne border last week.

Maria C, May 22, 2015 @ 10:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Between CERN and Thoiry it happenned to me twice that a car stood in the middle of nowhere on the side of the "highway". 

A guy outside the car said he needed petrol while his wife waited w a baby inside. He offered is wedding ring if I gave him money. And to pay it back later.

Between CERN and Thoiry it happenned to me twice that a car stood in the middle of nowhere on the side of the "highway". 

A guy outside the car said he needed petrol while his wife waited w a baby inside. He offered is wedding ring if I gave him money. And to pay it back later.

Soul3Soul, May 22, 2015 @ 12:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

It's not really new, they are at the Divonne border quite often for at least a year or two. I told the french custom officers several times, but it's like they don't really care.

It's not really new, they are at the Divonne border quite often for at least a year or two. I told the french custom officers several times, but it's like they don't really care.

yoyo lolo, May 22, 2015 @ 14:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

I've seen this once in a mall car park in Villeneuve. I slowed down thinking they were either local cops or workers...then I saw their faces, and I locked the car doors and speed up. 

Yes, ROMANIAN GIPSYS! They set up their camps and start performing their daily routines.

There's one now beside Leclerc behind the airport. I bet you they were coming from there.

They also stop in the middle of the motorways to sell "gold" or "carpets" or ask you for "help "while their cousins empty your boot . Looks like there's a law for them and another one for regular taypayers. 

Don't bother to ring the cops, too busy harrassing hookers in Pacquis.

I've seen this once in a mall car park in Villeneuve. I slowed down thinking they were either local cops or workers...then I saw their faces, and I locked the car doors and speed up. 

Yes, ROMANIAN GIPSYS! They set up their camps and start performing their daily routines.

There's one now beside Leclerc behind the airport. I bet you they were coming from there.

They also stop in the middle of the motorways to sell "gold" or "carpets" or ask you for "help "while their cousins empty your boot . Looks like there's a law for them and another one for regular taypayers. 

Miguel C, May 23, 2015 @ 20:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

May 23, 15 20:30

I hear there's a band of Spanish operating in the region trying to sell fake jamon. I bet you're one of them.

I hear there's a band of Spanish operating in the region trying to sell fake jamon. I bet you're one of them.

catalin, May 24, 2015 @ 15:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

;)  keep quiet and I'll give you half of the benefits! Cool

;)  keep quiet and I'll give you half of the benefits! Cool

Miguel C, May 24, 2015 @ 16:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

I'm in for 50 francs worth of counterfit jamon!

I'm in for 50 francs worth of counterfit jamon!

Rowan P, May 27, 2015 @ 08:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Deal!Cool

Deal!Cool

Miguel C, Jun 1, 2015 @ 22:54