Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Bills from the regie - a year late & from another contract

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Bills from the regie - a year late & from another contract

Hello everyone

I have a couple of questions regarding billing from my Regie (Regie Brolliet).

This year at the end of May I received a bill (décompte de chauffage final) from them for heating and hot water or the period May 2014 to April 2015. It is basically the difference of the instalment that had been paid on a monthly basis and what was supposedly consumed during this period. (Note on the side: of course they have not yet managed to equip our building with double-glazed windows although legally required since January 2016 – which probably play a role in the over-consumption of heating & hot water).

I have read in other threats that it is quite common (though not sure legal) for regies to bill tenants quite a substantial amount of time later, but my case is a little bit different: I had a roommate until July 2015 (we were both on the contract), since then I am the sole tenant of the apartment. The regie insisted on issuing a new contract and I had to hand in all required documents again.

My question is now: can they charge me for costs that have occurred during that period when we lived in a flatshare, although legally that rental contract is not valid since July 2015? They wouldn’t do that if a different tenant had moved in, would they?

I am planning to contact ASLOCA but since the bill is due next week (and I probably won’t be able to get an appointment before), I wanted to hear your thoughts and experiences on this topic?

Has anyone had a similar experience? Many thanks in advance!

Svenja

The text you are quoting:

Hello everyone

I have a couple of questions regarding billing from my Regie (Regie Brolliet).

This year at the end of May I received a bill (décompte de chauffage final) from them for heating and hot water or the period May 2014 to April 2015. It is basically the difference of the instalment that had been paid on a monthly basis and what was supposedly consumed during this period. (Note on the side: of course they have not yet managed to equip our building with double-glazed windows although legally required since January 2016 – which probably play a role in the over-consumption of heating & hot water).

I have read in other threats that it is quite common (though not sure legal) for regies to bill tenants quite a substantial amount of time later, but my case is a little bit different: I had a roommate until July 2015 (we were both on the contract), since then I am the sole tenant of the apartment. The regie insisted on issuing a new contract and I had to hand in all required documents again.

My question is now: can they charge me for costs that have occurred during that period when we lived in a flatshare, although legally that rental contract is not valid since July 2015? They wouldn’t do that if a different tenant had moved in, would they?

I am planning to contact ASLOCA but since the bill is due next week (and I probably won’t be able to get an appointment before), I wanted to hear your thoughts and experiences on this topic?

Has anyone had a similar experience? Many thanks in advance!

Svenja

Svenja RAug 28, 2016 @ 22:49
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

6 Replies | 915 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Bills from the regie - a year late & from another contract
Post 1

I guess if they have not charged anything before, they can ask you to pay the difference that is due by you. My regie sends us the overview usually 3-6 months from the period end. I have 30 days to contest it and then pay or as now since they changed the windows, the chauffage etc. we usually get back money.

I would definitely contact them in order to ask for an explanation why you are expected to pay on behalf of the other tenant who also had a legal agreement with them.

As to the obligation to have double-glazed windows, the regie has to be financed by the owner and assuming your houses is like mine (100 yrs +), they need to obtain a special permit from the municipality as they cannot just install any windows. My regie went back 3 times till we got the permit. This took over 2 years for them and believe me the engineerings of the regie were really pissed.

I guess if they have not charged anything before, they can ask you to pay the difference that is due by you. My regie sends us the overview usually 3-6 months from the period end. I have 30 days to contest it and then pay or as now since they changed the windows, the chauffage etc. we usually get back money.

I would definitely contact them in order to ask for an explanation why you are expected to pay on behalf of the other tenant who also had a legal agreement with them.

As to the obligation to have double-glazed windows, the regie has to be financed by the owner and assuming your houses is like mine (100 yrs +), they need to obtain a special permit from the municipality as they cannot just install any windows. My regie went back 3 times till we got the permit. This took over 2 years for them and believe me the engineerings of the regie were really pissed.

Reka Y, Aug 28, 2016 @ 23:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

In Asloca, you can walk-in without an appointment - check with their web-site.

In Asloca, you can walk-in without an appointment - check with their web-site.

Olga K, Aug 29, 2016 @ 13:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

If you are worried about the payment deadline, pay the bill, but at the same time (in the same week) send a letter saying that you have paid the bill you have questions around the bill and are researching further or seeking advice and will be in touch in due course.

In Switzeland if you pay a bill and do not say anything it is implied that you agreed with the bill, but paradoxically if you withhold payment you are at fault and can be charged a late payment fee, so a letter stating your doubts seems to be an intermediate option that buys you more time to look into it.  I tend to send these by registered post - the "letter never arrived" also happens in Switzerland. ;-)

And actually, yes, they can charge retroactively even if you have moved out as it is for the period you were still in the flat, under a contract valid at the time (I received a bill a year later even in a different canton). What ASLOCA can clarify is whether you are liable for the proportion of your flatmate (note that some contracts for unmarried couples for example are in "solidarité", meaning that one covers for the other if one is unable to pay, so they´d need to see what your contract says.)

Good luck!

If you are worried about the payment deadline, pay the bill, but at the same time (in the same week) send a letter saying that you have paid the bill you have questions around the bill and are researching further or seeking advice and will be in touch in due course.

In Switzeland if you pay a bill and do not say anything it is implied that you agreed with the bill, but paradoxically if you withhold payment you are at fault and can be charged a late payment fee, so a letter stating your doubts seems to be an intermediate option that buys you more time to look into it.  I tend to send these by registered post - the "letter never arrived" also happens in Switzerland. ;-)

And actually, yes, they can charge retroactively even if you have moved out as it is for the period you were still in the flat, under a contract valid at the time (I received a bill a year later even in a different canton). What ASLOCA can clarify is whether you are liable for the proportion of your flatmate (note that some contracts for unmarried couples for example are in "solidarité", meaning that one covers for the other if one is unable to pay, so they´d need to see what your contract says.)

Good luck!

J. F, Aug 30, 2016 @ 08:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Dear All,

I have another question regarding the Regies and i was wondering if anybody could help me.

I had a contract with a Regie since December and in the fees it is included the Téléréseau which is very expensive. Is there anyway that the Regie could let me forfait this fee since i do not use it because i have a subscription with a TV/Internet Company.

If you could help it would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance, and i hope you find a solution to your issue.

Cheers!

Hermi.

Dear All,

I have another question regarding the Regies and i was wondering if anybody could help me.

I had a contract with a Regie since December and in the fees it is included the Téléréseau which is very expensive. Is there anyway that the Regie could let me forfait this fee since i do not use it because i have a subscription with a TV/Internet Company.

Cheers!

Hermi.

hermi hasa, Aug 30, 2016 @ 19:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Dear All,

Cheers!

Hermi.

Aug 30, 16 19:31

Here it is the link

http://www.asloca.ch/vos-droits-r%C3%A9siliation-de-labonnement-au-t%C3%A9l%C3%A9r%C3%A9seau

Here it is the link

http://www.asloca.ch/vos-droits-r%C3%A9siliation-de-labonnement-au-t%C3%A9l%C3%A9r%C3%A9seau

Reka Y, Aug 30, 2016 @ 20:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Thanks everyone,

I just paid but wrote to them that I need all the details of the bill; that I don't agree with having to pay for my ex-roommate and  and that I will get back to them when I spoke to ASLOCA.

Thanks everyone,

I just paid but wrote to them that I need all the details of the bill; that I don't agree with having to pay for my ex-roommate and  and that I will get back to them when I spoke to ASLOCA.

Svenja R, Aug 30, 2016 @ 22:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
6 Replies | 915 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form