Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Buying a SAD lamp in Geneve?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Buying a SAD lamp in Geneve?

You guys are the best, and so far have been able to find help for all my queries.

So here goes another one:  although perhaps silly (especially considering the gorgeous weather we are having), i am looking to buy a Seasonal Affective Disorder lamp (those super bright lamps that simulate daytime for winter blues).

Any tips on where I'd find one? (FUST had a wake up light, but nothing brighter, but I might try a different location).

Many thanks in advance!

Ps. I know this isn't the classifieds, but I'm also willing to buy second hand if you're looking to get rid of one ;).

The text you are quoting:

You guys are the best, and so far have been able to find help for all my queries.

So here goes another one:  although perhaps silly (especially considering the gorgeous weather we are having), i am looking to buy a Seasonal Affective Disorder lamp (those super bright lamps that simulate daytime for winter blues).

Any tips on where I'd find one? (FUST had a wake up light, but nothing brighter, but I might try a different location).

Many thanks in advance!

Ps. I know this isn't the classifieds, but I'm also willing to buy second hand if you're looking to get rid of one ;).

montrealerJan 14, 2011 @ 17:08
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

5 Replies | 1129 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Buying a SAD lamp in Geneve?
Post 1

I have seen them for sale in an optician's office in Champel, on the number 3 bus line, stop Plateau de Champel. The shop is on Avenue Albert Bertrand between Avenue Dumas and Avenue de Miremont...

You might want to see whether you can get your doctor to "prescribe" it for you and perhaps insurance will cover it...

I have seen them for sale in an optician's office in Champel, on the number 3 bus line, stop Plateau de Champel. The shop is on Avenue Albert Bertrand between Avenue Dumas and Avenue de Miremont...

You might want to see whether you can get your doctor to "prescribe" it for you and perhaps insurance will cover it...

Translator, Jan 14, 2011 @ 17:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

No need to use quotation marks around 'prescribe' - SAD is formally recognized as an illness by health authorities: http://bioportal.bioontology.org/visualize/42280/?conceptid=10024264

Also, normal bulbs will not help you - you need bulbs with the right spectrum, intensity and UV-filter and they are expensive (i.e., you probably won't find them in regular shops). It has been shown that it is the blue component of the light (mimicking a sunny day), that alleviates SAD/depression and so the old advice to take long walks has good merit, provided the skies are clear.

No need to use quotation marks around 'prescribe' - SAD is formally recognized as an illness by health authorities: http://bioportal.bioontology.org/visualize/42280/?conceptid=10024264

Also, normal bulbs will not help you - you need bulbs with the right spectrum, intensity and UV-filter and they are expensive (i.e., you probably won't find them in regular shops). It has been shown that it is the blue component of the light (mimicking a sunny day), that alleviates SAD/depression and so the old advice to take long walks has good merit, provided the skies are clear.

FerneyL, Jan 14, 2011 @ 19:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

.. adding..   Replacing incandescent bulbs and energy-saving bulbs in your flat may help, too.. the reason is that the spectrum of halogens are much closer to daylight than any of the two former bulb types. LEDs are not viable yet. 

Of course, halogens get very hot, which is a pain in the summer, but then you should go out instead..

.. adding..   Replacing incandescent bulbs and energy-saving bulbs in your flat may help, too.. the reason is that the spectrum of halogens are much closer to daylight than any of the two former bulb types. LEDs are not viable yet. 

Of course, halogens get very hot, which is a pain in the summer, but then you should go out instead..

FerneyL, Jan 14, 2011 @ 19:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Try the shops that sell and/or hire health aids and home medical equipment such as walking frames, elbow crutches. inhalers and so on.

In Geneva, there’s a shop right across the street from the Macdonalds at Rive.  I’ve seen ‘SAD’ lamps in their window.

The larger chemists also have catalogues which you can consult to compare prices.  I think ‘SAD’ equipment would probably have to be purchased, but some items can also be rented, so always ask what the score is.

It’s also useful to have a chit from a medical practitioner.  Depending on your insurance, you might be able to claim some reimbursement of your expenses.  When I had to hire equipment for a respiratory problem, my supplementary insurance picked up the tab.

R.

Try the shops that sell and/or hire health aids and home medical equipment such as walking frames, elbow crutches. inhalers and so on.

In Geneva, there’s a shop right across the street from the Macdonalds at Rive.  I’ve seen ‘SAD’ lamps in their window.

The larger chemists also have catalogues which you can consult to compare prices.  I think ‘SAD’ equipment would probably have to be purchased, but some items can also be rented, so always ask what the score is.

It’s also useful to have a chit from a medical practitioner.  Depending on your insurance, you might be able to claim some reimbursement of your expenses.  When I had to hire equipment for a respiratory problem, my supplementary insurance picked up the tab.

R.

Ritchie, Jan 14, 2011 @ 20:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Jan 14, 11 19:21

The only reason I put quotation marks around prescribe in my response was that the person probably needs an actual script for the apparatus to be covered, especially by basic insurance.  The prescription indicates that it is medically necessary. 

That said, basic insurance no longer covers glasses....Undecided

The only reason I put quotation marks around prescribe in my response was that the person probably needs an actual script for the apparatus to be covered, especially by basic insurance.  The prescription indicates that it is medically necessary. 

That said, basic insurance no longer covers glasses....Undecided

Translator, Jan 15, 2011 @ 01:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
5 Replies | 1129 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form