Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Carte de Legitimation / Residence Permit

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Carte de Legitimation / Residence Permit

Ok, so is a Carte de Legitimation with a G on it a G residence permit? G residence permits are labelled "Border Crosser" for whatever reason. But I'm a UN employee from the U.S., so is my CDL the same as a G residence permit for a "border crosser"? It seems odd, since it makes me sound like an illegal immigrant of some variety.

The text you are quoting:

Ok, so is a Carte de Legitimation with a G on it a G residence permit? G residence permits are labelled "Border Crosser" for whatever reason. But I'm a UN employee from the U.S., so is my CDL the same as a G residence permit for a "border crosser"? It seems odd, since it makes me sound like an illegal immigrant of some variety.

Justin CMar 17, 2017 @ 20:15
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

8 Replies | 8316 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Carte de Legitimation / Residence Permit
Post 1

Mar 17, 17 20:15

Why not check out the situation with your HR people?  It’s their job to provide staff members with info on all the latest rules and regulations concerning residence, permits,  and many other issues.  That way, you’ll be briefed by the horse’s mouth, so to speak, and if anything should ever go wrong, you’ll be able to quote the source of the advice you were given and when and by whom.

All the best., R.

Why not check out the situation with your HR people?  It’s their job to provide staff members with info on all the latest rules and regulations concerning residence, permits,  and many other issues.  That way, you’ll be briefed by the horse’s mouth, so to speak, and if anything should ever go wrong, you’ll be able to quote the source of the advice you were given and when and by whom.

All the best., R.

Ritchie, Mar 17, 2017 @ 21:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

I had a CdL for a while. The default CdL is merely a residence permit issued to diplomatic status employees and their family members. In order for the spouse to also work, you need to exchange your CdL for a Permis Ci that allows you to work. There are two requirements for this: you live with your spouse and you are resident in Switzerland. In my case, we lived in France, so I was unable to work.

I found this PDF that will help. It's in french. http://www.cagi.ch/uploads/pdf/cartes-leg-brochure-20140219-web.pdf

Also, the DFAE is the issuing authority of the CdL, so ask them for clarification.

Good luck!

I had a CdL for a while. The default CdL is merely a residence permit issued to diplomatic status employees and their family members. In order for the spouse to also work, you need to exchange your CdL for a Permis Ci that allows you to work. There are two requirements for this: you live with your spouse and you are resident in Switzerland. In my case, we lived in France, so I was unable to work.

I found this PDF that will help. It's in french. http://www.cagi.ch/uploads/pdf/cartes-leg-brochure-20140219-web.pdf

Also, the DFAE is the issuing authority of the CdL, so ask them for clarification.

Good luck!

Zonker, Mar 18, 2017 @ 11:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

And where in the US are you from?

And where in the US are you from?

Zonker, Mar 18, 2017 @ 11:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

G category of CdL are for short term staff and fixed-term contracts below 6 months. 

CdL "does NOT indicate" that you have a diplomatic status. 

The Carte de Legitimation is issued by the Swiss Permanent Mission in Geneva to UN staff members same with emabassies and consular offices. This is a work and residence permit required to legally reside in Switzerland, rent an apartment, buy a car, arrange for new car plates, etc. Your spouse and children might also be eligible for a Carte de Légitimation if they will be living with you.

G category of CdL are for short term staff and fixed-term contracts below 6 months. 

CdL "does NOT indicate" that you have a diplomatic status. 

The Carte de Legitimation is issued by the Swiss Permanent Mission in Geneva to UN staff members same with emabassies and consular offices. This is a work and residence permit required to legally reside in Switzerland, rent an apartment, buy a car, arrange for new car plates, etc. Your spouse and children might also be eligible for a Carte de Légitimation if they will be living with you.

gerald m, Mar 21, 2017 @ 14:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Note that there's a differenec between a (semi-) diplomatic CdL, and a normal work permit.

A work permit of category G is, I think, for frontaliers, that's why the OP may be confused by the term "border crosser".

Note that there's a differenec between a (semi-) diplomatic CdL, and a normal work permit.

A work permit of category G is, I think, for frontaliers, that's why the OP may be confused by the term "border crosser".

tawb, Mar 21, 2017 @ 15:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Gerald,

Perhaps we are not talking about the same thing, but see this website, specifically, the first paragraph:

FDFA Legitimation Card (Last update: December 2012)

This notice covers matters relating to the delivery and conditions for issuance of legitimation cards to the personnel of diplomatic missions and consular posts established in Switzerland who are entitled to privileges and immunities and to those persons authorised to accompany them, pursuant to the Host State Ordinance of 7 December 2007 (HSO).

This was my situation when I arrived. My wife worked at UNAIDS. I was the spouse. All in our family had this CdL. It was strictly used for residence, NOT as a work permit.

Gerald,

Perhaps we are not talking about the same thing, but see this website, specifically, the first paragraph:

FDFA Legitimation Card (Last update: December 2012)

This notice covers matters relating to the delivery and conditions for issuance of legitimation cards to the personnel of diplomatic missions and consular posts established in Switzerland who are entitled to privileges and immunities and to those persons authorised to accompany them, pursuant to the Host State Ordinance of 7 December 2007 (HSO).

This was my situation when I arrived. My wife worked at UNAIDS. I was the spouse. All in our family had this CdL. It was strictly used for residence, NOT as a work permit.

Zonker, Mar 21, 2017 @ 15:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Hi Zonker,

Yes we are talking the same CdL, but with different categories, hence.  I quoted "NO diplolatic status to all". The UN CdL's are the following as of 2013 (this is not including embassies and consulates):

B pink for USG, ASG, SG - diplomatic status
C pink for P5, D1, D2  - diplomatic status

D brown for P1 - P4
E blue for G1 - G7
S green Swiss nationals, regardless of grade

Regular cards
Are called regular cards, because they are for regular staff, i.e. fixed term, contracts of more than 6 months, indefinite and permanent contracts. 

Short-term cards
G turquoise for short term staff and fixed-term contracts below 6 months
H white for consultants, interns

Hi Zonker,

Yes we are talking the same CdL, but with different categories, hence.  I quoted "NO diplolatic status to all". The UN CdL's are the following as of 2013 (this is not including embassies and consulates):

B pink for USG, ASG, SG - diplomatic status
C pink for P5, D1, D2  - diplomatic status

D brown for P1 - P4
E blue for G1 - G7
S green Swiss nationals, regardless of grade

Regular cards
Are called regular cards, because they are for regular staff, i.e. fixed term, contracts of more than 6 months, indefinite and permanent contracts. 

Short-term cards
G turquoise for short term staff and fixed-term contracts below 6 months
H white for consultants, interns

gerald m, Mar 21, 2017 @ 15:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Gerald, thanks for the list.

However, It's missing the category "A"? Does it exist?

Gerald, thanks for the list.

However, It's missing the category "A"? Does it exist?

tawb, Mar 21, 2017 @ 16:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
8 Replies | 8316 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form