Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Challenges of learning French

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Challenges of learning French

I WAS PUTTING TOGEHER A DOCUMENT ON THE CHALLENGES OF LEARNING FRENCH, AND I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR SOME OF YOUR OPINIONS/COMMENTS ON THE SUBJECT

THANKS ALOT

JARINA

The text you are quoting:

I WAS PUTTING TOGEHER A DOCUMENT ON THE CHALLENGES OF LEARNING FRENCH, AND I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR SOME OF YOUR OPINIONS/COMMENTS ON THE SUBJECT

THANKS ALOT

JARINA

Jarina HNov 17, 2009 @ 16:52
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

6 Replies | 1218 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Challenges of learning French
Post 1

Your question is not clear. Yes, it's hard to learn French. What more would you like to know?

Your question is not clear. Yes, it's hard to learn French. What more would you like to know?

Nir Ofek, Nov 17, 2009 @ 18:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi Nir, sorry about not being clear enough, what I'd like ask is why is it so difficult for many anglophones to learn French? is it  a motivation question , as most people speak English here, is it the pronunication which is so different from English, or maybe not enough experience with other languages...  

Hi Nir, sorry about not being clear enough, what I'd like ask is why is it so difficult for many anglophones to learn French? is it  a motivation question , as most people speak English here, is it the pronunication which is so different from English, or maybe not enough experience with other languages...  

Jarina H, Nov 17, 2009 @ 18:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hi Jarina,

I have studied different languages. But French for me is a challenge. English is my 1st foreign language and it s wild for me to see 'English' (however originally French) words and procounce them differently. Grammar is tough. thereotically I know grammar very well, but when I start speaking I am lost and want to hide away. So it is difficult language and you have to be motivated to study it.

Hi Jarina,

I have studied different languages. But French for me is a challenge. English is my 1st foreign language and it s wild for me to see 'English' (however originally French) words and procounce them differently. Grammar is tough. thereotically I know grammar very well, but when I start speaking I am lost and want to hide away. So it is difficult language and you have to be motivated to study it.

Katushka, Nov 17, 2009 @ 21:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hi Jarina,
Being a Russian, I have a particular problem with French pronunciation. Russian is very relaxed about vowels, you can say Mo-o-o-oskow or Ma-a-a-askow, and nobody would have any difficulties to understand you. In French it's the other way around, slight change in the sound, and you are looked at as a complete savage.
Another problem is traditional syntax. Too many combinations of letters are pronounced differently from what is seen on the paper.
And yes, on the grammar side there are more times than in English, there are more word cases than common and possessive, etc, etc.
But, to be honest, I think that the real 3 problems are different. They are laziness, laziness, and laziness, at least for me. After 9 years in Geneva I'm not able to speak French :)
Best regards,
Greg

Hi Jarina,
Being a Russian, I have a particular problem with French pronunciation. Russian is very relaxed about vowels, you can say Mo-o-o-oskow or Ma-a-a-askow, and nobody would have any difficulties to understand you. In French it's the other way around, slight change in the sound, and you are looked at as a complete savage.
Another problem is traditional syntax. Too many combinations of letters are pronounced differently from what is seen on the paper.
And yes, on the grammar side there are more times than in English, there are more word cases than common and possessive, etc, etc.
But, to be honest, I think that the real 3 problems are different. They are laziness, laziness, and laziness, at least for me. After 9 years in Geneva I'm not able to speak French :)
Best regards,
Greg

Thlan, Nov 17, 2009 @ 22:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
6 Replies | 1218 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form