Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Changing to Swiss drivers license

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Changing to Swiss drivers license
Hi there
I am about to change my South African drivers license to a Swiss one and have. I am taking the required driving test tomorrow.

Have you taken this driving test?
Yes?
Please tell me what it's like. I believe it's a simple test but I would like any info on your impression of this test.

No?
If you have any wise words on the Genevoise driving style, feel free to share your thoughts with me.

Thank you
Regards
Auds
The text you are quoting:
Hi there
I am about to change my South African drivers license to a Swiss one and have. I am taking the required driving test tomorrow.

Have you taken this driving test?
Yes?
Please tell me what it's like. I believe it's a simple test but I would like any info on your impression of this test.

No?
If you have any wise words on the Genevoise driving style, feel free to share your thoughts with me.

Thank you
Regards
Auds
celebesMar 7, 2007 @ 20:33
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

7 Replies | 1156 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Changing to Swiss drivers license
Post 1
Well, I was recommended to take lessons before and I dont regret. Two main things are evaluated:

1) If you actually know how to drive;
2) A minimum understanding of swiss rules (right priorities, speed limits in the city, etc)

Swiss rules can be tricky if you are not used to them. However, it is very possible that driving in a safe mood and observing all the panels in the road you may pass the exam without problems.
Well, I was recommended to take lessons before and I dont regret. Two main things are evaluated:

1) If you actually know how to drive;
2) A minimum understanding of swiss rules (right priorities, speed limits in the city, etc)

Swiss rules can be tricky if you are not used to them. However, it is very possible that driving in a safe mood and observing all the panels in the road you may pass the exam without problems.
zenbrain, Mar 7, 2007 @ 22:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
Hi there
I have been assured by two South African (women) drivers that the test is not so bad. Speed limits, right of way, observing, the main stuff.
My test is tomorrow, will inform you of the outcome,
Thanks
Audrey
Hi there
I have been assured by two South African (women) drivers that the test is not so bad. Speed limits, right of way, observing, the main stuff.
My test is tomorrow, will inform you of the outcome,
Thanks
Audrey
celebes, Mar 7, 2007 @ 23:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
Hi All
Thanks for the words of advice. The actual test was a piece of cake.

Since one can only take the test after residing here for more than twelve months, there should be no worry about dragging an interpreter along.
If you know...'turn left, right, straight ahead, take the next exit, continue in the direction of...' you should be fine.

The person taking me for the 'drive' was polite and re-assured me that it's ok to say 'Repetez s.v.p' should I not be sure of what he said.It was not necessary...

A mon avis: If you drive like a reasonable person, respecting speedlimits, right-of-way rules, being alert and constantly aware of your environment whilst on the move, you should have nothing to worry about.

The three P's: Be
Patient,
Prepared and
Polite.

Hi All
Thanks for the words of advice. The actual test was a piece of cake.

Since one can only take the test after residing here for more than twelve months, there should be no worry about dragging an interpreter along.
If you know...'turn left, right, straight ahead, take the next exit, continue in the direction of...' you should be fine.

The person taking me for the 'drive' was polite and re-assured me that it's ok to say 'Repetez s.v.p' should I not be sure of what he said.It was not necessary...

A mon avis: If you drive like a reasonable person, respecting speedlimits, right-of-way rules, being alert and constantly aware of your environment whilst on the move, you should have nothing to worry about.

The three P's: Be
Patient,
Prepared and
Polite.

celebes, Mar 8, 2007 @ 21:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
well done Audrey, congratulations on passing the test !!
well done Audrey, congratulations on passing the test !!
addaxnat, Mar 8, 2007 @ 23:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
Hi Audrey,

I would be taking the practical exam this week and it would really help if you could please describe how was the exam done i.e. was the examiner speaking to you all the time?, how long did the exam take?, where/what area did you do the exam?

Thanks much!!

Ger:unsure:

Hi Audrey,

I would be taking the practical exam this week and it would really help if you could please describe how was the exam done i.e. was the examiner speaking to you all the time?, how long did the exam take?, where/what area did you do the exam?

Thanks much!!

Ger:unsure:

Aequitas, Apr 27, 2009 @ 19:24

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
My advice would be to swap it over before you've been here 12 months so you don't actually have to take a test.

Maybe not so much use for you, but certainly good advice for others.
My advice would be to swap it over before you've been here 12 months so you don't actually have to take a test.

Maybe not so much use for you, but certainly good advice for others.
Shippy, Apr 27, 2009 @ 20:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
7 Replies | 1156 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form