Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Cheap gym memberships?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Cheap gym memberships?
Hello folks,

I just arrived in Geneva last week, I'm doing an internship for 3 months and so am on a pretty strict budget. I checked with Silhouette, and the price of a 3 month summer membership is 500 Chf, which is a fair bit more than I was hoping to pay for gym access.

Does anyone know if there are any cheaper ways of getting to a gym? I'm not sure I can justify spending that much of my savings when I am trying to fund myself through an internship, but I'm really keen to go to the gym and start using some weights etc as it has recently come to my attention that I am built like a matchstick, and I'd really like some arms that don't look like Keira Knightly's...

I know Geneva's expensive, and maybe I'll just have to give up on the gym and get a powerball, or something, but thought I should ask here first.

Cheers.

Andy
The text you are quoting:
Hello folks,

I just arrived in Geneva last week, I'm doing an internship for 3 months and so am on a pretty strict budget. I checked with Silhouette, and the price of a 3 month summer membership is 500 Chf, which is a fair bit more than I was hoping to pay for gym access.

Does anyone know if there are any cheaper ways of getting to a gym? I'm not sure I can justify spending that much of my savings when I am trying to fund myself through an internship, but I'm really keen to go to the gym and start using some weights etc as it has recently come to my attention that I am built like a matchstick, and I'd really like some arms that don't look like Keira Knightly's...

I know Geneva's expensive, and maybe I'll just have to give up on the gym and get a powerball, or something, but thought I should ask here first.

Cheers.

Andy
chavyboyMay 27, 2008 @ 12:08
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

18 Replies | 9013 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Cheap gym memberships?
Post 1
A shame you're all the way in Geneva.  I found a gym in my neck of the woods for 65CHF for 5 weeks!  Now aren't I the resourseful one... (insert touting horn here)!   :P
A shame you're all the way in Geneva.  I found a gym in my neck of the woods for 65CHF for 5 weeks!  Now aren't I the resourseful one... (insert touting horn here)!   :P
Jess, May 27, 2008 @ 12:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi Andy,

Just saw on the side of the busses around here that the price you are talking about just got cut by another 100chf.  They are now advertising 399 for three months.

Just a note probably already saw it but there you go anyway.,

Tony

Hi Andy,

Just saw on the side of the busses around here that the price you are talking about just got cut by another 100chf.  They are now advertising 399 for three months.

Tony
TonyT, May 27, 2008 @ 14:00

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

where is your neck of the woods Jess?

where is your neck of the woods Jess?
sharon1, May 27, 2008 @ 14:05

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
Lutry
Lutry
Jess, May 27, 2008 @ 14:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
Hello,

I did the group interval workout organized by "lovethiscity" this morning and it was great!     

One hour of speed walking and sets of exercises (squats, lunges, sit ups etc.) at intervals of approx 3 minutes. Women on Tuesdays and Thursdays and Mixed on Mondays and Fridays. 

There is a fuller description under member activities.

Hello,

I did the group interval workout organized by "lovethiscity" this morning and it was great!     

One hour of speed walking and sets of exercises (squats, lunges, sit ups etc.) at intervals of approx 3 minutes. Women on Tuesdays and Thursdays and Mixed on Mondays and Fridays. 

There is a fuller description under member activities.

mozambique, May 27, 2008 @ 16:20

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
[quote]

Hi Andy,

Just saw on the side of the busses around here that the price you are talking about just got cut by another 100chf. They are now advertising 399 for three months.

Tony[/quote]

Cheers Tony, I saw the same ad which was what made me go to Silhouette to find out in the first place. Turns out, you only get that price if you sign up for 6 months or more! To be honest, that seems a little dishonest to me, but then I hear that Silhouette are not famed for their customer service or reliability.

It's 499Chf if you only sign up for 3 months (and that's how long I'm here), which works out as over £80 per month, much more than a luxury gym in Scotland or elsewhere, so I think I'll have to stick to running. At least the pavements are free here, eh? The muscle will just have to wait....
[quote]

Hi Andy,

Just saw on the side of the busses around here that the price you are talking about just got cut by another 100chf. They are now advertising 399 for three months.

Tony[/quote]

Cheers Tony, I saw the same ad which was what made me go to Silhouette to find out in the first place. Turns out, you only get that price if you sign up for 6 months or more! To be honest, that seems a little dishonest to me, but then I hear that Silhouette are not famed for their customer service or reliability.

It's 499Chf if you only sign up for 3 months (and that's how long I'm here), which works out as over £80 per month, much more than a luxury gym in Scotland or elsewhere, so I think I'll have to stick to running. At least the pavements are free here, eh? The muscle will just have to wait....
chavyboy, May 27, 2008 @ 17:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
If you are close to meyrin than you might want to consider a gym @ champs-frechets.

they have a summer special now - 4 months for 299 chf or so. If you are interested let me know (and refer to me - I need an owner to buy some new stuff for me, so he wants to know if I refer someone )))

you can come and try it out for free - no problem.
If you are close to meyrin than you might want to consider a gym @ champs-frechets.

they have a summer special now - 4 months for 299 chf or so. If you are interested let me know (and refer to me - I need an owner to buy some new stuff for me, so he wants to know if I refer someone )))

you can come and try it out for free - no problem.
extremal, May 27, 2008 @ 18:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8
How about the YMCA near Planpalais (just off boulevard carl-vogt)? I know there is a gym there and I'm sure the price would be reasonable and you 'probably' won't be tied into any 'small print'
How about the YMCA near Planpalais (just off boulevard carl-vogt)? I know there is a gym there and I'm sure the price would be reasonable and you 'probably' won't be tied into any 'small print'
Tammyshanker, Jun 6, 2008 @ 11:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9
Why not just buy a pair of weights (is that "dumbbel" in proper English?) and do 20-30 minutes every morning or evening. That gets you 70% there, IMHO. You can easily find instructions on how to handle them correctly on the web or, better probably, in a book.

The only problem is self-discipline, of course... struggling with that myself ;-)
Why not just buy a pair of weights (is that "dumbbel" in proper English?) and do 20-30 minutes every morning or evening. That gets you 70% there, IMHO. You can easily find instructions on how to handle them correctly on the web or, better probably, in a book.

The only problem is self-discipline, of course... struggling with that myself ;-)
thomas11, Jun 6, 2008 @ 11:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10
[quote]Why not just buy a pair of weights (is that "dumbbel" in proper English?) and do 20-30 minutes every morning or evening. That gets you 70% there, IMHO. You can easily find instructions on how to handle them correctly on the web or, better probably, in a book.

The only problem is self-discipline, of course... struggling with that myself ;-)[/quote]

best instructions is to ask some1 to have a look & explain.

Anyhow, dumbells don't really get you anywhere - just general fitness. For anything more serious one needs to go to gym and/or have a good training partner.

Garage gyms also work - but that's another story )
[quote]Why not just buy a pair of weights (is that "dumbbel" in proper English?) and do 20-30 minutes every morning or evening. That gets you 70% there, IMHO. You can easily find instructions on how to handle them correctly on the web or, better probably, in a book.

The only problem is self-discipline, of course... struggling with that myself ;-)[/quote]

Anyhow, dumbells don't really get you anywhere - just general fitness. For anything more serious one needs to go to gym and/or have a good training partner.

Garage gyms also work - but that's another story )
extremal, Jun 6, 2008 @ 13:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11
[quote]

Garage gyms also work - but that's another story )[/quote]

well, apparently chavyboy is only now getting started with weights, so general fitness is a good beginning goal, and you can achieve that with dumbbells if you have the discipline. they just have to be heavy enough to be effective, so at least 5kg each to start with is fine, I think.

you can find lots of fitness videos and instructions for free here: http://fitness.scoobysworkshop.com/

the guy who runs it believes very strongly in home workouts, so you can follow what he does in your home too. obviously he has more equipment than just dumbbells, but some of the stuff he does with barbells can be replicated with dumbbells, and you don't need to do to see results... a good couple of exercises for each body part will take you far ;)

you can get new dumbbells from manor or migros sport and sell them off when you leave, or check the classifieds to see if anyone has some... i spot a couple on there every once in a while...
[quote]

well, apparently chavyboy is only now getting started with weights, so general fitness is a good beginning goal, and you can achieve that with dumbbells if you have the discipline. they just have to be heavy enough to be effective, so at least 5kg each to start with is fine, I think.

you can find lots of fitness videos and instructions for free here: http://fitness.scoobysworkshop.com/

the guy who runs it believes very strongly in home workouts, so you can follow what he does in your home too. obviously he has more equipment than just dumbbells, but some of the stuff he does with barbells can be replicated with dumbbells, and you don't need to do to see results... a good couple of exercises for each body part will take you far ;)

you can get new dumbbells from manor or migros sport and sell them off when you leave, or check the classifieds to see if anyone has some... i spot a couple on there every once in a while...
afrochick, Jun 7, 2008 @ 20:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12
[quote][quote]

you can get new dumbbells from manor or migros sport and sell them off when you leave, or check the classifieds to see if anyone has some... i spot a couple on there every once in a while...[/quote]

Thanks very much for the help, everyone! I picked up a set of weights from Manor yesterday, just have to find the willpower to keep using them...

Who needs an expensive gym membership, eh?
[quote][quote]

you can get new dumbbells from manor or migros sport and sell them off when you leave, or check the classifieds to see if anyone has some... i spot a couple on there every once in a while...[/quote]

Thanks very much for the help, everyone! I picked up a set of weights from Manor yesterday, just have to find the willpower to keep using them...

Who needs an expensive gym membership, eh?
chavyboy, Jun 8, 2008 @ 11:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

generally you get what you pay for ))

anyhow, it's up to you - gyms work better, but dumbells will do if you actually train instead of trying to find motivation ))

generally you get what you pay for ))

anyhow, it's up to you - gyms work better, but dumbells will do if you actually train instead of trying to find motivation ))
extremal, Jun 9, 2008 @ 11:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14
Hi, just a thought - if your internship is with an international organisation you may be able to get a discount.  Most gyms offer what they call UN rates which are for people who work at international organisation. 

Good luck - and if the weather gets better you can always go out for a run or buy a skipping rope - great work out

:-)

Hi, just a thought - if your internship is with an international organisation you may be able to get a discount.  Most gyms offer what they call UN rates which are for people who work at international organisation. 

Good luck - and if the weather gets better you can always go out for a run or buy a skipping rope - great work out

:-)
ladiluxx, Jun 9, 2008 @ 23:08

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

Hello,

I saw ur Comments about a Gym at chaps-frechets.. could you please confirm me if this offer is still applicable... as in this was a summer offer or its general price of the gym.

I am looking for a Gym which i can visit late in the evening like 7pm and there after .. is this open for late .. ur comments will be very valuable for me to decide on things...

I hope to hear from u ..

Regards

Ramana

Hello,

I saw ur Comments about a Gym at chaps-frechets.. could you please confirm me if this offer is still applicable... as in this was a summer offer or its general price of the gym.

I am looking for a Gym which i can visit late in the evening like 7pm and there after .. is this open for late .. ur comments will be very valuable for me to decide on things...

I hope to hear from u ..

Regards

Ramana
Blueskyreddy, Sep 28, 2008 @ 17:36

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16
[quote]

Hello,

I hope to hear from u ..

Regards

Ramana[/quote]

Ramana - this 4-months offer is not applicable anymore. Howerver, there is another one - a year for 699 (unless I misremember - it's monday morning )) lol ))

Come and try for free, and then you will see if you like it and if you want to join. Send me a message when you come - and see you then ))
[quote]

Hello,

I hope to hear from u ..

Regards

Ramana[/quote]

Ramana - this 4-months offer is not applicable anymore. Howerver, there is another one - a year for 699 (unless I misremember - it's monday morning )) lol ))

Come and try for free, and then you will see if you like it and if you want to join. Send me a message when you come - and see you then ))
extremal, Sep 29, 2008 @ 11:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

Hi Jess,

Could you please give me the address to this gym place!!

Thank you,

Waki.

Hi Jess,

Could you please give me the address to this gym place!!

Thank you,

Waki.

waki, Apr 15, 2014 @ 09:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

Waki,

Careful, this is a thread that was started (and abandoned) in 2008!

However, I remember seeing ads in the last 2-3 months for something called the Non Stop Gym (www.nonstopgym.com) which is 49 CHF/month for a yearly membership. Maybe this will help?

Waki,

Careful, this is a thread that was started (and abandoned) in 2008!

However, I remember seeing ads in the last 2-3 months for something called the Non Stop Gym (www.nonstopgym.com) which is 49 CHF/month for a yearly membership. Maybe this will help?

Zonker, Apr 15, 2014 @ 10:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
18 Replies | 9013 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form