Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Childcare and Decision to Get Pregnant

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Childcare and Decision to Get Pregnant

We are currently considering having a baby but would like to know more about the childcare situation first.

I would like to return to work for 2 or 3 days per week once the baby is a few months old.  From what I understand I am unlikely to get a childcare place that is linked to our wages.

How much does alternative childcare cost?   I have a feeling the childcare would cost as much I as I would earn.  If childcare is 200 CHF per day there would be no point fininacially in me returning to work.

In your experience have you been able to find a creche with availablity?

We live in Onex and I work near Gare Cornavin.

Appreciate examples of your experience to help us know what to expect, whether you have used large creches, or private people.

The text you are quoting:

We are currently considering having a baby but would like to know more about the childcare situation first.

I would like to return to work for 2 or 3 days per week once the baby is a few months old.  From what I understand I am unlikely to get a childcare place that is linked to our wages.

How much does alternative childcare cost?   I have a feeling the childcare would cost as much I as I would earn.  If childcare is 200 CHF per day there would be no point fininacially in me returning to work.

In your experience have you been able to find a creche with availablity?

We live in Onex and I work near Gare Cornavin.

Appreciate examples of your experience to help us know what to expect, whether you have used large creches, or private people.

fiorinicAug 5, 2010 @ 10:24
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

6 Replies | 3741 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Childcare and Decision to Get Pregnant
Post 1

The swiss system is fairly archaic in so far as the childcare and working mums. They dont give you tax incentives as a working couple, in fact the opposite, and tax the lumped sum of joint earnings in the household at any highr rate of tax than before... but this depends of if youre taxed at source or pay per year.

In so far as child care, you pay for what you get... and in fact by law for new borns are required to leave your child with a qualified person, and these people charge more than babysitters. I think CHF200 per day x 3 per week ..or 2600 per month is cheap... cleaners earn 20 to 30 per hour here ..and 20 is the lucky cheap rate.

Some companies offer assistance...check with yours if you are required to go back to work... otherwise enjoy  the time with the little one.... the first 3 years are very special..in fact all years are... but before 3 yrs old its tough to find daycare thats moderately affordable here.

The swiss system is fairly archaic in so far as the childcare and working mums. They dont give you tax incentives as a working couple, in fact the opposite, and tax the lumped sum of joint earnings in the household at any highr rate of tax than before... but this depends of if youre taxed at source or pay per year.

In so far as child care, you pay for what you get... and in fact by law for new borns are required to leave your child with a qualified person, and these people charge more than babysitters. I think CHF200 per day x 3 per week ..or 2600 per month is cheap... cleaners earn 20 to 30 per hour here ..and 20 is the lucky cheap rate.

Some companies offer assistance...check with yours if you are required to go back to work... otherwise enjoy  the time with the little one.... the first 3 years are very special..in fact all years are... but before 3 yrs old its tough to find daycare thats moderately affordable here.

Charlie, Aug 5, 2010 @ 11:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Yes, I had a feeling CHF 200 per day would not be enought when compared to what cleaners earn.

Does anyone have any experience of what the creches charge?

Yes, I had a feeling CHF 200 per day would not be enought when compared to what cleaners earn.

Does anyone have any experience of what the creches charge?

fiorinic, Aug 11, 2010 @ 16:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Usually depends on your income.

I think this is useful for you: http://www.cagi.ch/en/vie-pratique/vie-de-famille/petite-enfance.php

Usually depends on your income.

I think this is useful for you: http://www.cagi.ch/en/vie-pratique/vie-de-famille/petite-enfance.php

eva77, Aug 11, 2010 @ 17:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Depends on the quality and area..... about CHF125 per full day in Nyon area is about standard.. from 3 mths age.. or 2500 per month (if you do 5 days per week and 20 days a month)

Also you need to reckon on admittance fees of approx 500 to 700 swiss francs, assuming they have a place....and extra costs, food/nappies etc.

This is from the anglo Info website

Childcare & Nursery Education

Provision of childcare in Switzerland is managed almost completely by each individual canton. Small children can be looked after in a variety of ways: by child minders, in crèches, playgroups or day nurseries or private daycare "mothers" (mamans de jour). The facilities are sometimes run by the communes and frequently by private organisations.

Information on the options is available from social services of the relevant commune (Départements des affaires sociales ou de la jeunesse or Socialdienst).

Geneva has an office to help parents choose the right day care for their children. It registers requests for day care for all the organisations.

Bureau d'Information Petite Enfance (BIPE)
At
: 8 rue du Cendrier, 1201 Geneva
Tel: +41 (0)22 321 22 23
Open: Monday to Friday from 12:00-17:00 (until 18:00 on Mondays)

The Bureau d'Information in Lausanne can provide lists of day care institutions in Lausanne.

Bureau d'Information Aux Parents (BIP)
At: 9 Place Chauderon, 1002 Lausanne
Tel: +41 (0)21 315 60 00
Open: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 08:30-11:30, Wednesday 14:00-17:00
See The Anglofile category Infants & Babies for links to child care and baby sitters and more

Nurseries/Crèches

A crèche is a day care facility for the children of working parents and provides a pre-school educational programme. Part-time crèches are also available. In general they are open from 07:30-18:30 from Monday to Friday. The cost will depend on the parent's income.

Places in crèche are in high demand so it is best to book a place as early as possible. Children are usually accepted up to the age of four.

Kindergarten

While kindergarten/nursery school is not obligatory throughout Switzerland, most children do attend for a year or two. One year's attendance is compulsory in the canton of Geneva. Kindergartens are free of charge and take children from the age of four onwards. They are under the responsibility of the school authorities (or the local administration) of the communes.

From 2011 onwards, attendance at nursery school will become compulsory from the age of four onwards.

Depends on the quality and area..... about CHF125 per full day in Nyon area is about standard.. from 3 mths age.. or 2500 per month (if you do 5 days per week and 20 days a month)

Also you need to reckon on admittance fees of approx 500 to 700 swiss francs, assuming they have a place....and extra costs, food/nappies etc.

This is from the anglo Info website

Childcare & Nursery Education

Provision of childcare in Switzerland is managed almost completely by each individual canton. Small children can be looked after in a variety of ways: by child minders, in crèches, playgroups or day nurseries or private daycare "mothers" (mamans de jour). The facilities are sometimes run by the communes and frequently by private organisations.

Information on the options is available from social services of the relevant commune (Départements des affaires sociales ou de la jeunesse or Socialdienst).

Geneva has an office to help parents choose the right day care for their children. It registers requests for day care for all the organisations.

Bureau d'Information Petite Enfance (BIPE)
At
: 8 rue du Cendrier, 1201 Geneva
Tel: +41 (0)22 321 22 23
Open: Monday to Friday from 12:00-17:00 (until 18:00 on Mondays)

The Bureau d'Information in Lausanne can provide lists of day care institutions in Lausanne.

Bureau d'Information Aux Parents (BIP)
At: 9 Place Chauderon, 1002 Lausanne
Tel: +41 (0)21 315 60 00
Open: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 08:30-11:30, Wednesday 14:00-17:00
See The Anglofile category Infants & Babies for links to child care and baby sitters and more

Nurseries/Crèches

A crèche is a day care facility for the children of working parents and provides a pre-school educational programme. Part-time crèches are also available. In general they are open from 07:30-18:30 from Monday to Friday. The cost will depend on the parent's income.

Places in crèche are in high demand so it is best to book a place as early as possible. Children are usually accepted up to the age of four.

Kindergarten

While kindergarten/nursery school is not obligatory throughout Switzerland, most children do attend for a year or two. One year's attendance is compulsory in the canton of Geneva. Kindergartens are free of charge and take children from the age of four onwards. They are under the responsibility of the school authorities (or the local administration) of the communes.

From 2011 onwards, attendance at nursery school will become compulsory from the age of four onwards.

Charlie, Aug 11, 2010 @ 17:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

We live near Bernex and pay 15chf an hour for our fantastic nanny.  My son has been in the garderie and just got accepted into the creche after a year on the wait list (he is 3).  The only way to go for cheaper childcare is a maman du jour.  My coworkers pay 50CHF a day for their maman du jour.  The one in our village is 6CHF/hour.  You take your child to their house and they watch 3-4 kids total.  The place who can help you find a maman de jour is

Pro Juventute
1, rue de l¹Aubépine ­ p.o.box 237 - 1211 Geneva 9
Telephone permanence every mornings from 09h00 to 12h00 ;
From 13h30 to 16h00, everyday except Wednesday and Friday afternoon.
Tél : 022 328 55 84 e-mail : [email protected]

This too:

Onex Families

La Grande Maison

68 av des Grandes-Communes

1213 Onex

[email protected]

We live near Bernex and pay 15chf an hour for our fantastic nanny.  My son has been in the garderie and just got accepted into the creche after a year on the wait list (he is 3).  The only way to go for cheaper childcare is a maman du jour.  My coworkers pay 50CHF a day for their maman du jour.  The one in our village is 6CHF/hour.  You take your child to their house and they watch 3-4 kids total.  The place who can help you find a maman de jour is

Pro Juventute
1, rue de l¹Aubépine ­ p.o.box 237 - 1211 Geneva 9
Telephone permanence every mornings from 09h00 to 12h00 ;
From 13h30 to 16h00, everyday except Wednesday and Friday afternoon.
Tél : 022 328 55 84 e-mail : [email protected]

This too:

Onex Families

La Grande Maison

68 av des Grandes-Communes

1213 Onex

[email protected]

clonell, Aug 16, 2010 @ 08:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Thanks, lots of helpful information.  It seems there are options out there.  The maman du jour option is interesting if i didnt manage to get a place in a creche.

I will have a look around the other websites and contacts provided

Thanks, lots of helpful information.  It seems there are options out there.  The maman du jour option is interesting if i didnt manage to get a place in a creche.

I will have a look around the other websites and contacts provided

fiorinic, Aug 20, 2010 @ 16:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
6 Replies | 3741 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form