Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Confused

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Confused

Hi there,

Looking for some  grade A advice on the boring matter of being foreign and unemployed.

I need to register to get a residence permit, is this true? Where can I do this? Or at least where can I find this information?

Is there a unemployment agency where I can register as unemployed? Where?

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated as I am quite confused about the whole thing.

Thank you in advance

The text you are quoting:

Hi there,

Looking for some  grade A advice on the boring matter of being foreign and unemployed.

I need to register to get a residence permit, is this true? Where can I do this? Or at least where can I find this information?

Is there a unemployment agency where I can register as unemployed? Where?

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated as I am quite confused about the whole thing.

Thank you in advance

Fraser RJul 8, 2010 @ 12:11
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

2 Replies | 780 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Confused
Post 1

1..You will need a company to offer you a job and apply for a work permit for you to be able to live here long term.  They do not give residency/work permits without a job and lately I have heard of cases of them denying a permit to people who found a job because their are people here already who are jobeless and qualify for the said jobs. For more information contact office cantonal de la population.  Website:  http://www.ge.ch/ocp/contact.html  They have really upped their customer service lately and they try to be very helpful.  You can visit them at Rte de Chancy 88, 1213 Onex

2.  You can register with the unemployment office if you have paid into the unemployment insurance while you were working for at least one year in Switzerland.  The office cantonal might be able to answer your questions better. You can visit their website at http://www.ge.ch/oce/ or their office at Rue des Glacis-de-Rive 6

All the above info is valid for non-european persons.  It may be different for someone from the EU.  You can ask.  Hope this helps in reducing your confusion.

1..You will need a company to offer you a job and apply for a work permit for you to be able to live here long term.  They do not give residency/work permits without a job and lately I have heard of cases of them denying a permit to people who found a job because their are people here already who are jobeless and qualify for the said jobs. For more information contact office cantonal de la population.  Website:  http://www.ge.ch/ocp/contact.html  They have really upped their customer service lately and they try to be very helpful.  You can visit them at Rte de Chancy 88, 1213 Onex

2.  You can register with the unemployment office if you have paid into the unemployment insurance while you were working for at least one year in Switzerland.  The office cantonal might be able to answer your questions better. You can visit their website at http://www.ge.ch/oce/ or their office at Rue des Glacis-de-Rive 6

All the above info is valid for non-european persons.  It may be different for someone from the EU.  You can ask.  Hope this helps in reducing your confusion.

JustChilling, Jul 8, 2010 @ 13:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Re: Confused
Post 2

On your profile I see you're from the UK. If you hold an EU passport you can stay in Switzerland without having a job, provided that you have health insurance and enough money (but how much exactly, I don't know). They will give you a B Permit, but most likely only for one year.

As said before, if you've never worked in Switzerland (or less than a year) you have to forget about unemployment.

On your profile I see you're from the UK. If you hold an EU passport you can stay in Switzerland without having a job, provided that you have health insurance and enough money (but how much exactly, I don't know). They will give you a B Permit, but most likely only for one year.

As said before, if you've never worked in Switzerland (or less than a year) you have to forget about unemployment.

eva77, Jul 8, 2010 @ 18:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
2 Replies | 780 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form