Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Cycling: Road Racing & Criteriums club and race schedule

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Cycling: Road Racing & Criteriums club and race schedule

Hello,

I have been in Geneva now for a few months and cannot figure out how amateur bike racing is organized here.  I am from the states and there we simply have USCF races with categories based on ability.  There I raced in cat 3.  Can anyone fill me in on how it works here?  I am trying to set my training schedule and I need to have an idea of the race schedule for 2011.  I also need to find a club that is serious about cycling and will push me to train hard through the winter.  I have looked at some websites but can't really sort it out. Any help is much appreciated!

The text you are quoting:

Hello,

I have been in Geneva now for a few months and cannot figure out how amateur bike racing is organized here.  I am from the states and there we simply have USCF races with categories based on ability.  There I raced in cat 3.  Can anyone fill me in on how it works here?  I am trying to set my training schedule and I need to have an idea of the race schedule for 2011.  I also need to find a club that is serious about cycling and will push me to train hard through the winter.  I have looked at some websites but can't really sort it out. Any help is much appreciated!

life_as_artOct 4, 2010 @ 16:12
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

5 Replies | 2416 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Cycling: Road Racing & Criteriums club and race schedule
Post 1

I am in the same situation. Help would be greatly apprciated!!!

I am in the same situation. Help would be greatly apprciated!!!

Richard Pettit, Oct 5, 2010 @ 17:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi Richard,

Glad to know I'm not alone.  There seem to be plenty of organized tour rides, some of which turn into time trials/road races, but no sort of racing series where points are earned at each race throughout the season, etc...  Maybe it just doesn't exist here but I find that hard to believe.  I am going to keep looking.  I will let you know if I find anything.  Are you in Geneva or Lausanne?

Hi Richard,

Glad to know I'm not alone.  There seem to be plenty of organized tour rides, some of which turn into time trials/road races, but no sort of racing series where points are earned at each race throughout the season, etc...  Maybe it just doesn't exist here but I find that hard to believe.  I am going to keep looking.  I will let you know if I find anything.  Are you in Geneva or Lausanne?

life_as_art, Oct 6, 2010 @ 09:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

I'm in Lausanne. I am moving out full-time in November and would be keen to get some good training in over the winter. I have looked all over for a good club and yet to find one - perhaps there is a secret website somewhere with all the info on.... I am hoping when I move over things will become more clear.

Always keen to find a decent training partner, even if it does mean travelling to Geneva! 

Cheers for your initial post and response hopefully someone will be able to shed some light on the situation for both of us shortly.

I'm in Lausanne. I am moving out full-time in November and would be keen to get some good training in over the winter. I have looked all over for a good club and yet to find one - perhaps there is a secret website somewhere with all the info on.... I am hoping when I move over things will become more clear.

Always keen to find a decent training partner, even if it does mean travelling to Geneva! 

Cheers for your initial post and response hopefully someone will be able to shed some light on the situation for both of us shortly.

Richard Pettit, Oct 6, 2010 @ 17:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hello,

Oct 4, 10 16:12

Hello gents

Saw both your posts and here are a few leads.   There is a club in Geneva called "Pedales des Eaux Vives" http://www.pev-geneve.ch/pages/calendrier.php and there you can find detailed calender of events. 

Also there is a website called www.datasport.com where you can find out about all sporting events in Switzerland.  Tap in my name and you can see my results, if you're interested.

Additionally, you have www.swisscycling.ch but that is in french and not English.

As regards "categories" and things, that's a circuit I have never belonged to even though I have been cycling for the last four years and racing for three of those.   I generally do what are termed "cyclosportives" in France anywhere from 90kms to 260kms and there are many of those in the region and further afield.   Again the websites are in French but here are a few www.velo101.com   www.cyclosport.com  

If you are looking for cycling partners then I would be very willing to oblidge as I am interested in finding some "handy" cycling partners from time to time to push it.  Most people I come across don't have the kind of level I look for.  I stopped cycling last Sept 09 and started again in June 10, but I have a head for it again and wish to train consistently this winter to get the base training in for March.  If you look at datasport you will see my stats but in 08/09 I did about 15k km.   My form is coming back, and when I was on form I went around the lac lemain (that's 160kms) in 4:20 average speed of 35km (non stop), and up la Faucile in 36:30 and st Cergue in 37:40.   Anyway, I am in touch with a few other guys like you two who do races here and there and do not belong to a club and have good levels and are anglophones.  

Look forward to hearing from you, if not enjoy!

Maurice

Hello gents

Saw both your posts and here are a few leads.   There is a club in Geneva called "Pedales des Eaux Vives" http://www.pev-geneve.ch/pages/calendrier.php and there you can find detailed calender of events. 

Also there is a website called www.datasport.com where you can find out about all sporting events in Switzerland.  Tap in my name and you can see my results, if you're interested.

Additionally, you have www.swisscycling.ch but that is in french and not English.

As regards "categories" and things, that's a circuit I have never belonged to even though I have been cycling for the last four years and racing for three of those.   I generally do what are termed "cyclosportives" in France anywhere from 90kms to 260kms and there are many of those in the region and further afield.   Again the websites are in French but here are a few www.velo101.com   www.cyclosport.com  

If you are looking for cycling partners then I would be very willing to oblidge as I am interested in finding some "handy" cycling partners from time to time to push it.  Most people I come across don't have the kind of level I look for.  I stopped cycling last Sept 09 and started again in June 10, but I have a head for it again and wish to train consistently this winter to get the base training in for March.  If you look at datasport you will see my stats but in 08/09 I did about 15k km.   My form is coming back, and when I was on form I went around the lac lemain (that's 160kms) in 4:20 average speed of 35km (non stop), and up la Faucile in 36:30 and st Cergue in 37:40.   Anyway, I am in touch with a few other guys like you two who do races here and there and do not belong to a club and have good levels and are anglophones.  

Look forward to hearing from you, if not enjoy!

Maurice

Maurice H, Oct 7, 2010 @ 16:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Weather's looking good for the week-end let me know if either one of you would like to ride - Sunday morning best for me.  You can contact on 0786101142.  Cheers, Maurice

Weather's looking good for the week-end let me know if either one of you would like to ride - Sunday morning best for me.  You can contact on 0786101142.  Cheers, Maurice

Maurice H, Oct 8, 2010 @ 20:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
5 Replies | 2416 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form