Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > DSL Socket

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
DSL Socket

Dear all,

I have just got my Swisscom TV and internet box and I want to install it. There is one problem, I cant seem to find any socket in my appartment on which i can plug in the cable for the router.

My regie told me there is a line somewhere in my apartment on which I can attach a socket that has the dsl connection. I have the separate socket unattached but the problem is I can't find the line.

Does anyone know how this line looks. I can find a separate line, but that kinda loos like a coax cable.

I can ask the regie to come by and help me, but obviously they will hire an electricien and make me pay for it...which I don't feel like doing.

Thanks for your help.

Stijn

The text you are quoting:

Dear all,

I have just got my Swisscom TV and internet box and I want to install it. There is one problem, I cant seem to find any socket in my appartment on which i can plug in the cable for the router.

My regie told me there is a line somewhere in my apartment on which I can attach a socket that has the dsl connection. I have the separate socket unattached but the problem is I can't find the line.

Does anyone know how this line looks. I can find a separate line, but that kinda loos like a coax cable.

I can ask the regie to come by and help me, but obviously they will hire an electricien and make me pay for it...which I don't feel like doing.

Thanks for your help.

Stijn

Stijn de GroenFeb 3, 2011 @ 11:15
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

7 Replies | 848 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: DSL Socket
Post 1

I just set up my swisscomm too, and the socket in mz apartment just looked like a phoen connection - in fact I already had my phone plugged into it.

I just unplugged the phone, plugged in the socket/micofilter that came with the router, and plugged both the router and phone into it.

I just set up my swisscomm too, and the socket in mz apartment just looked like a phoen connection - in fact I already had my phone plugged into it.

I just unplugged the phone, plugged in the socket/micofilter that came with the router, and plugged both the router and phone into it.

Fionnuala O, Feb 3, 2011 @ 11:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Well I also have the socket that looks like a phone connection, but its not connected. So I just have it lying on my table :-)

So I need to have a line to which I can attach that socket...

Well I also have the socket that looks like a phone connection, but its not connected. So I just have it lying on my table :-)

So I need to have a line to which I can attach that socket...

Stijn de Groen, Feb 3, 2011 @ 11:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hi Stijn,

I believe the GLocals have a wizzard who could help you... Look for Zonker.

good luck!

Hi Stijn,

I believe the GLocals have a wizzard who could help you... Look for Zonker.

good luck!

nomades, Feb 3, 2011 @ 13:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

You may have the sort of socket that we have which looks a bit like a normal socket and nothing like a phone socket at all. Look for a socket that has four round holes in the shape of a diamond. If  you find one then you just need to buy an adaptor that you can get at all electrical shops.

If you think you have that but need clarification then I could try to email you a photo of the socket and adaptor. Let me know.

You may have the sort of socket that we have which looks a bit like a normal socket and nothing like a phone socket at all. Look for a socket that has four round holes in the shape of a diamond. If  you find one then you just need to buy an adaptor that you can get at all electrical shops.

If you think you have that but need clarification then I could try to email you a photo of the socket and adaptor. Let me know.

Colette D, Feb 3, 2011 @ 13:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

I was actually looking for that one in my apartement because I had bought that adapter thinking a normal electrical socket has 4 holes as well Surprised

Basically I think I have all the proper tools, but I just can't find that damn phone line... Cry

I'll have another look when I get home. Maybe they have hidden the phone line somewhere in the oven...

I was actually looking for that one in my apartement because I had bought that adapter thinking a normal electrical socket has 4 holes as well Surprised

Basically I think I have all the proper tools, but I just can't find that damn phone line... Cry

I'll have another look when I get home. Maybe they have hidden the phone line somewhere in the oven...

Stijn de Groen, Feb 3, 2011 @ 14:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Hi Stijn,

There are several options regarding what the plug could look like. There is also one which is about 2-3 cm long, mostly rectangular, but not quite. it has 2 rows of three holes.

In any case, have a look when you return. If you think it would help, let me know. I'll pop over and fix up your internet connection.

Hi Stijn,

There are several options regarding what the plug could look like. There is also one which is about 2-3 cm long, mostly rectangular, but not quite. it has 2 rows of three holes.

In any case, have a look when you return. If you think it would help, let me know. I'll pop over and fix up your internet connection.

Zonker, Feb 3, 2011 @ 15:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Thanks all for your replies. I will check tonight and see if it works, otherwise I'll drop you an email Zonker.

Thanks all for your replies. I will check tonight and see if it works, otherwise I'll drop you an email Zonker.

Stijn de Groen, Feb 3, 2011 @ 15:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
7 Replies | 848 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form