Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Dating Rules?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Dating Rules?

Greetings,

Recently I had an interesting conversation with a lady, and she voiced some frustration over common mistakes that men make on a date; more specifically, she was complaining about guys who go on a date, but keep talking about their ex. It was suggested that perhaps I should start a thread on this topic, after learning of my previous post on 'machine dating' which seemed to be of interest to a lot of people, so I will begin by listing a number of rules that I think should be followed on a date:

1) Don't talk about the ex

2) Don't talk about sex

3) No job interviews during dates! Questions (where do you work? where are you from) are often necessary to break the ice and get a starting point for the conversation and to get to know the other person better, but if a date degenerates into a series of questions made with the sole intention of scrutinising the other person like one scrutinises a car before buying it, then its a problem.

4) No talking about religion

5) No talking about politics

6) No sex on the first date

7) Don't play games

8) No swearing or crude language

Some of these rules are not set in stone. For example, if two passionate lobbyists are dating each other, I would suspect that they would have a great time talking about politics.

I avoided to mention rules (which I consider a bit silly) like 'wait xyz days before calling' and the like on purpose.

Some of these rules are usually broken more often by a specific gender, but on purpose I did not mention the genders.

I welcome comments. Maybe these rules are just silly, stating the obvious common sense. Or maybe, people do make these mistakes all the time. Or perhaps, they are old fashioned, and in these liberal times its ok to talk about sex on the first date, and hit the sack after only one day... 

Or perhaps, this idea of "dating rules" is complete nonsense introduced by so called dating experts and magazines complicating things in the pursuit of the almighty dollar.

I just want to note that I definitely do not consider my self an expert in this area, and my motive for starting this thread is to start an interesting conversation.

Comments, additional rules?

The text you are quoting:

Greetings,

Recently I had an interesting conversation with a lady, and she voiced some frustration over common mistakes that men make on a date; more specifically, she was complaining about guys who go on a date, but keep talking about their ex. It was suggested that perhaps I should start a thread on this topic, after learning of my previous post on 'machine dating' which seemed to be of interest to a lot of people, so I will begin by listing a number of rules that I think should be followed on a date:

1) Don't talk about the ex

2) Don't talk about sex

3) No job interviews during dates! Questions (where do you work? where are you from) are often necessary to break the ice and get a starting point for the conversation and to get to know the other person better, but if a date degenerates into a series of questions made with the sole intention of scrutinising the other person like one scrutinises a car before buying it, then its a problem.

4) No talking about religion

5) No talking about politics

6) No sex on the first date

7) Don't play games

8) No swearing or crude language

Some of these rules are not set in stone. For example, if two passionate lobbyists are dating each other, I would suspect that they would have a great time talking about politics.

I avoided to mention rules (which I consider a bit silly) like 'wait xyz days before calling' and the like on purpose.

Some of these rules are usually broken more often by a specific gender, but on purpose I did not mention the genders.

I welcome comments. Maybe these rules are just silly, stating the obvious common sense. Or maybe, people do make these mistakes all the time. Or perhaps, they are old fashioned, and in these liberal times its ok to talk about sex on the first date, and hit the sack after only one day... 

Or perhaps, this idea of "dating rules" is complete nonsense introduced by so called dating experts and magazines complicating things in the pursuit of the almighty dollar.

I just want to note that I definitely do not consider my self an expert in this area, and my motive for starting this thread is to start an interesting conversation.

Comments, additional rules?

angelosAug 6, 2010 @ 16:29
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

29 Replies | 1645 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Dating Rules?
Post 1

i disagree... if these rules were followed, Scottish people would never get laid :p

x

i disagree... if these rules were followed, Scottish people would never get laid :p

x

lyndsey j, Aug 6, 2010 @ 18:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

ive broken almost every rule, some of them several times...the lucky girls ;-)

ive broken almost every rule, some of them several times...the lucky girls ;-)

Charlie, Aug 6, 2010 @ 19:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Never been on a date, don't believe in the concept. That's because I'm European. we have a different way of perceiving the starting point. 

Also Geneva is not about the sitting part, it's about the part where we go on adventures throughout the diverse countryside.

It's not a big city, it's a provincial town. :-). 

Never been on a date, don't believe in the concept. That's because I'm European. we have a different way of perceiving the starting point. 

Also Geneva is not about the sitting part, it's about the part where we go on adventures throughout the diverse countryside.

It's not a big city, it's a provincial town. :-). 

Richard A, Aug 6, 2010 @ 21:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

I don´t care about rules. When two people get along with each other then you don´t need any rules.

I don´t care about rules. When two people get along with each other then you don´t need any rules.

Tina K, Aug 6, 2010 @ 21:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

i think that your text "dating rules" is a great subject for conversation on your first date :-).

imagine starting off: " you know there was this guy on glocals who said...blah blah blah....."

i think that your text "dating rules" is a great subject for conversation on your first date :-).

imagine starting off: " you know there was this guy on glocals who said...blah blah blah....."

epicure, Aug 7, 2010 @ 00:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

How can we talk about rules in relationships? Undecided If you're honnest to yourself it doesn't matter how you act or what you say on date... Will the person in front of you be attracted or not is another question, but what's the deal if you hide yourself till the beginning? Except if you only plan to score your personnality will coming up, or be discovered one day, so where the interrest is?

Peoples who are looking for rules on a date must be losts already...

Humans most of the time are so fake and lying so much to themself, that's normal they burn a fuse so often...

be natural, be yourself, that's the only applicable rule in honnest relation... Cool

How can we talk about rules in relationships? Undecided If you're honnest to yourself it doesn't matter how you act or what you say on date... Will the person in front of you be attracted or not is another question, but what's the deal if you hide yourself till the beginning? Except if you only plan to score your personnality will coming up, or be discovered one day, so where the interrest is?

Humans most of the time are so fake and lying so much to themself, that's normal they burn a fuse so often...

be natural, be yourself, that's the only applicable rule in honnest relation... Cool

Kev303, Aug 7, 2010 @ 17:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Aug 7, 10 17:49

Kev, I agree its important to be one self - too often we wear masks and we lose touch of who we are. In fact, many times the very flaws that we try to hide, are what makes us unique and appealing in some regard. Life in many ways is like a novel, and imagine a novel where all the characters are perfect - quite boring I think.

But here is a question for the ladies. Do you agree that there are not any dating rules (and by rules I mean behaviours norms that both parties should follow for something positive to 'likely' eventuate between the two)? For example, would you find it perfectly acceptable if a guy... say talked for 10 or 20 minutes about how adorable was his ex girlfriend and how heart broken he is that it ended? Will you appreciate his honesty and look forward to say another date, or wish him all the best, and move on?

Kev, I agree its important to be one self - too often we wear masks and we lose touch of who we are. In fact, many times the very flaws that we try to hide, are what makes us unique and appealing in some regard. Life in many ways is like a novel, and imagine a novel where all the characters are perfect - quite boring I think.

But here is a question for the ladies. Do you agree that there are not any dating rules (and by rules I mean behaviours norms that both parties should follow for something positive to 'likely' eventuate between the two)? For example, would you find it perfectly acceptable if a guy... say talked for 10 or 20 minutes about how adorable was his ex girlfriend and how heart broken he is that it ended? Will you appreciate his honesty and look forward to say another date, or wish him all the best, and move on?

angelos, Aug 7, 2010 @ 18:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

I think you guys just think way too much about all this!

Tina K, Aug 8, 2010 @ 08:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Aug 8, 10 08:59

Perhaps you have a point.

In fact, I would have preferred starting a thread in perhaps the area of politics, economics, or philosophy (rather than on dating & relationships); but I thought those subjects were a bit too serious for the glocals forums (though curiously, I have noticed these topics tend to be more popular at the internations forums) and so went for something a bit more light hearted that is likely to be of interest to more people.

The world cup is always a popular choice, but I suppose thats old news, though i am sure the Spanish glocal members would not mind chatting about it more :-D. 

Perhaps you have a point.

In fact, I would have preferred starting a thread in perhaps the area of politics, economics, or philosophy (rather than on dating & relationships); but I thought those subjects were a bit too serious for the glocals forums (though curiously, I have noticed these topics tend to be more popular at the internations forums) and so went for something a bit more light hearted that is likely to be of interest to more people.

The world cup is always a popular choice, but I suppose thats old news, though i am sure the Spanish glocal members would not mind chatting about it more :-D. 

angelos, Aug 8, 2010 @ 09:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

The problem is: the more expectations you have, the more easiy you could become disappointed. All these "What if" or "What happens if he/she says this or that" just blocks you too much inside than having just a nice evening you either want to meet again or not. The less you expect, the more you get.

You´re right, a lot of people are interested in this. Even I give my 2 cents here although I´m not a really busy member and no expat. ;))

The problem is: the more expectations you have, the more easiy you could become disappointed. All these "What if" or "What happens if he/she says this or that" just blocks you too much inside than having just a nice evening you either want to meet again or not. The less you expect, the more you get.

You´re right, a lot of people are interested in this. Even I give my 2 cents here although I´m not a really busy member and no expat. ;))

Tina K, Aug 8, 2010 @ 10:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Please pardon my mistakes, maybe it´s just too early for me to write English ;)

Please pardon my mistakes, maybe it´s just too early for me to write English ;)

Tina K, Aug 8, 2010 @ 10:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Aug 6, 10 21:43

This is what I really think.. And than.. nobody would speak about the "past"...

The "rules" are mainly for a different kind of date.. like your machine dating... etc..

This is what I really think.. And than.. nobody would speak about the "past"...

The "rules" are mainly for a different kind of date.. like your machine dating... etc..

Andreas L, Aug 8, 2010 @ 10:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

The list of rules that Angelos mentions seem common knowledge to me, as these are mentioned on a regular basis in magazines for woman (maybe hoping guys would read this just once ;)  ).Don't believe everything thats written though.

I guess the best approach is to let the other person have the opportunity to ask questions. That should give you an inside of what interests them and can lead to a nice conversation. If this doesn't work ask someone how they spend their free time.

In some cases, like in mine yesterday nothing works, she just kept on talking about herself. In between I left some spaces so she would have the opportunity to show some interest aswel, but some people just like to hear themselves talk too much. I left giving her a kiss on cheek and that we might meet again (but then I will charge by the hour).

The list of rules that Angelos mentions seem common knowledge to me, as these are mentioned on a regular basis in magazines for woman (maybe hoping guys would read this just once ;)  ).Don't believe everything thats written though.

I guess the best approach is to let the other person have the opportunity to ask questions. That should give you an inside of what interests them and can lead to a nice conversation. If this doesn't work ask someone how they spend their free time.

In some cases, like in mine yesterday nothing works, she just kept on talking about herself. In between I left some spaces so she would have the opportunity to show some interest aswel, but some people just like to hear themselves talk too much. I left giving her a kiss on cheek and that we might meet again (but then I will charge by the hour).

ThomasNL, Aug 8, 2010 @ 12:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

#1 and #3 are good, the rest are crap.  The more of those rules I break, the more often I have to change the bedsheets.  Bold wins, shy does not.  The successful men plow forward.

My advice to the OP: Follow what women do, not what they say

#1 and #3 are good, the rest are crap.  The more of those rules I break, the more often I have to change the bedsheets.  Bold wins, shy does not.  The successful men plow forward.

My advice to the OP: Follow what women do, not what they say

richardm, Aug 8, 2010 @ 17:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

The successful men plow forward.

This is a very good point. We are lucky in Switzerland: there is always snow, you just have to go find it. Wherever there is snow you will find a few things in need of being ploughed.

The successful men plow forward.

This is a very good point. We are lucky in Switzerland: there is always snow, you just have to go find it. Wherever there is snow you will find a few things in need of being ploughed.

hayes, Aug 9, 2010 @ 10:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

LOLWUT?

LOLWUT?

richardm, Aug 9, 2010 @ 10:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

standardized rules work for conventional dates/meetings.... and those work for standaridized/conventional ppl OR for job interviews! If you want to live social/personnal interactions with the others that look like satisfying you, you have to stick to your own self to define your own rules.... or your own lack of rules!

The only dating rule that makes sense to me is to be interested to get to know the other person more than to make your own selfish "show off" = giving the other the attention and interest they deserve!

standardized rules work for conventional dates/meetings.... and those work for standaridized/conventional ppl OR for job interviews! If you want to live social/personnal interactions with the others that look like satisfying you, you have to stick to your own self to define your own rules.... or your own lack of rules!

The only dating rule that makes sense to me is to be interested to get to know the other person more than to make your own selfish "show off" = giving the other the attention and interest they deserve!

Ines E, Aug 9, 2010 @ 10:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

I agree that people should be themselves, though there's nice to have some guidelines that makes it easier to get through a "cold call" date.

Normal social intelligence often works though...

I agree that people should be themselves, though there's nice to have some guidelines that makes it easier to get through a "cold call" date.

Normal social intelligence often works though...

Elisabeth Aaroe, Aug 9, 2010 @ 10:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

Why would I be interested in hearing about the ex? Yes ok knowing why the broke up would tell me something about where the guy stands, but honestly I'm not interested in his past heart breaks.

We've all been through it (most likely) and it's boring topic. Let's live now and look into the future instead of complaining about break ups on a date that's supposed to be interesting and fun. 

Why would I be interested in hearing about the ex? Yes ok knowing why the broke up would tell me something about where the guy stands, but honestly I'm not interested in his past heart breaks.

We've all been through it (most likely) and it's boring topic. Let's live now and look into the future instead of complaining about break ups on a date that's supposed to be interesting and fun. 

Elisabeth Aaroe, Aug 9, 2010 @ 11:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

Aug 9, 10 11:13

the problem isn't even that the topic is boring, it is merely that it reveals that the person who speaks extensively about the ex is still living in the past relationship - then might not be even mentally available for a new one...

the problem isn't even that the topic is boring, it is merely that it reveals that the person who speaks extensively about the ex is still living in the past relationship - then might not be even mentally available for a new one...

Ines E, Aug 9, 2010 @ 11:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

Action speaks louder than words for both genders and yes bold ppl win.

SO not interested in hearing about how often you change bedsheets though, I get it, you the "bad guy" right? *yawn*

Action speaks louder than words for both genders and yes bold ppl win.

SO not interested in hearing about how often you change bedsheets though, I get it, you the "bad guy" right? *yawn*

Elisabeth Aaroe, Aug 9, 2010 @ 11:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22

Yes that as well, agreed. And it is still a boring topic to me.

Yes that as well, agreed. And it is still a boring topic to me.

Elisabeth Aaroe, Aug 9, 2010 @ 11:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 23

Rule 1 - There are no rules,

A date (or whatever you want to call it) will be successful only if two people have something in common and a mutual attraction. Its clear that normal conversation will discover those commonalities, and if they are there the rest will follow.

The only other semi major hurdle is if there is any compatability in the bedroom, (cos boy n girls its where EVERYONE wants to end up eventually), and incompatability is an instant end. How and when you tackle this is up to each individual pairing, whether its on day one, or day ten.

And Finally ... In general its best to keep completely obsessive behaviour to a minimum in order not to scare the person youre with.

A date (or whatever you want to call it) will be successful only if two people have something in common and a mutual attraction. Its clear that normal conversation will discover those commonalities, and if they are there the rest will follow.

The only other semi major hurdle is if there is any compatability in the bedroom, (cos boy n girls its where EVERYONE wants to end up eventually), and incompatability is an instant end. How and when you tackle this is up to each individual pairing, whether its on day one, or day ten.

And Finally ... In general its best to keep completely obsessive behaviour to a minimum in order not to scare the person youre with.

Charlie, Aug 9, 2010 @ 11:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 24

Aug 9, 10 11:34

Makes perfect sense to me.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Elisabeth Aaroe, Aug 9, 2010 @ 11:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 25

Aug 9, 10 11:34

totally agree :)

totally agree :)

Ines E, Aug 9, 2010 @ 11:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 26

It's hard enough to click with someone when you are all from the same place and try to agree on some uniformity. To try it in a place as culturally diverse and manic as Geneva is like trying to find a scottish person who won't eat almost anything which is covered in batter!!!

Stop trying to find the right person and have fun meeting and eliminating all the wrong ones :P

I highly recommend it!

x

It's hard enough to click with someone when you are all from the same place and try to agree on some uniformity. To try it in a place as culturally diverse and manic as Geneva is like trying to find a scottish person who won't eat almost anything which is covered in batter!!!

Stop trying to find the right person and have fun meeting and eliminating all the wrong ones :P

I highly recommend it!

x

lyndsey j, Aug 9, 2010 @ 15:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 27

hm, mostly I love datings and here are my 50 centimes :))))))

First of all, no way for coffee meetings. It was proved, that in a nice and little bit dark bar you would feel more comfy and your dating partner as well.

Secondly, if you are quite serious about this date (sometimes :) ), don't plan it on friday or saturday. Guess why? :)

Thirdly, just relax, flirt and joking :)

hm, mostly I love datings and here are my 50 centimes :))))))

First of all, no way for coffee meetings. It was proved, that in a nice and little bit dark bar you would feel more comfy and your dating partner as well.

Secondly, if you are quite serious about this date (sometimes :) ), don't plan it on friday or saturday. Guess why? :)

Thirdly, just relax, flirt and joking :)

Onis, Aug 9, 2010 @ 15:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 28

I highly recommend it!

x

Aug 9, 10 15:40

Lynds...

Shouldnt that be "who wont eat almost anything which ISN'T covered in batter!"

(kinda doubting a Glaswegians health concious diet extends to eliminating batter)

As to the "elimination" bit...its hardly the krypton factor.. either you like em, or you dont.... no amount of "Einstein's theory of compatability modelling " will work.

Maybe its the Celt in me that just sees the need to take opportunity as it appears , regret it later, but missed opportunities are a bigger regret.

Lynds...

Shouldnt that be "who wont eat almost anything which ISN'T covered in batter!"

(kinda doubting a Glaswegians health concious diet extends to eliminating batter)

As to the "elimination" bit...its hardly the krypton factor.. either you like em, or you dont.... no amount of "Einstein's theory of compatability modelling " will work.

Maybe its the Celt in me that just sees the need to take opportunity as it appears , regret it later, but missed opportunities are a bigger regret.

Charlie, Aug 9, 2010 @ 16:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 29

ah yes Charlie... thanks for that ;)

ah yes Charlie... thanks for that ;)

lyndsey j, Aug 9, 2010 @ 16:11