Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Dental insurance needed for urgent work

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Dental insurance needed for urgent work

Hello,

Just arrived in Geneva and shopping around for medical insurance. I've settled the mandatory health insurance, but and trying to figure out dental insurance. My husband needs to have urgent work done (dental prosthesis) but all the complementary dental insurances I find require a one year waiting period before covering any such work. Does anyone have any experience in this or any helpful suggestions?

Second question, if we are to pay out-of-pocket, which I am starting to assume will have to be the case, is it cheaper to do it in France or in Switzerland?

Thanks in advance for your help!

The text you are quoting:

Hello,

Just arrived in Geneva and shopping around for medical insurance. I've settled the mandatory health insurance, but and trying to figure out dental insurance. My husband needs to have urgent work done (dental prosthesis) but all the complementary dental insurances I find require a one year waiting period before covering any such work. Does anyone have any experience in this or any helpful suggestions?

Second question, if we are to pay out-of-pocket, which I am starting to assume will have to be the case, is it cheaper to do it in France or in Switzerland?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Armelle WiartJan 26, 2011 @ 14:13
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

5 Replies | 1068 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Dental insurance needed for urgent work
Post 1

Well.. the waiting period is made to protect the other subscribers from this scenario.

It will probably be a lot cheaper in France.

Well.. the waiting period is made to protect the other subscribers from this scenario.

It will probably be a lot cheaper in France.

FerneyL, Jan 26, 2011 @ 15:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

I imagine it will be cheaper in france but you are able to get estimates. I live in France but my dentist is in Switzerland as we kept our swiss health insurance. BUT if i need any work doing fillings e.t.c my dentist always give me an estimate of what it costs

I imagine it will be cheaper in france but you are able to get estimates. I live in France but my dentist is in Switzerland as we kept our swiss health insurance. BUT if i need any work doing fillings e.t.c my dentist always give me an estimate of what it costs

pazzer, Jan 26, 2011 @ 16:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hello,

Working in insurance, I guess I could answer you... unfortunately you won't like the answer, as there is no way an insurance will cover you for that. There is not always a 1 year waiting period, but all companies will ask you how are your teeth before accepting you, so you usually have to do a check-up before getting a cover (paid by them most of the time).

And FerneyL is right, it's to make sure the other customers don't pay too much because of things like that. The goal of insurance is to offer a cover in case something unexpected happen. I don't know if it exist in english, but in french we say "you can't insure a burning house".

Regarding cost, yes, it'll be much cheaper in France, around 1 third of the price, even if the quality is usually a bit lower.

Rémy

Hello,

Working in insurance, I guess I could answer you... unfortunately you won't like the answer, as there is no way an insurance will cover you for that. There is not always a 1 year waiting period, but all companies will ask you how are your teeth before accepting you, so you usually have to do a check-up before getting a cover (paid by them most of the time).

And FerneyL is right, it's to make sure the other customers don't pay too much because of things like that. The goal of insurance is to offer a cover in case something unexpected happen. I don't know if it exist in english, but in french we say "you can't insure a burning house".

Regarding cost, yes, it'll be much cheaper in France, around 1 third of the price, even if the quality is usually a bit lower.

Rémy

RemyS, Jan 26, 2011 @ 16:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Thanks to all for your answers - totally get the concept of insurance, just hitting ourselves for not having done this prior to moving... oh well, another one to chart up in the life lessons learned book!

Thanks to all and have a great day!

Armelle

Thanks to all for your answers - totally get the concept of insurance, just hitting ourselves for not having done this prior to moving... oh well, another one to chart up in the life lessons learned book!

Thanks to all and have a great day!

Armelle

Armelle Wiart, Jan 26, 2011 @ 16:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Having moved a year ago from Amsterdam, where we had a perfect dentist, and after hearing the stories about Swiss medical costs being the second highest in the world and doctors regularly charging people with 'the right insurance' considerably more than people with 'lesser insurance' we decided to just keep going to our regular dentist in Amsterdam (we visit the city often enough anyway) - even though we have 'the right insurance' (who encourage us to have medical treatments etc done outside of Switzerland).

So, yes, having a lot of dental work done in Switzerland will likely be far more expensive than in France (although one would think the dentists close to the border know about this as well).

Having moved a year ago from Amsterdam, where we had a perfect dentist, and after hearing the stories about Swiss medical costs being the second highest in the world and doctors regularly charging people with 'the right insurance' considerably more than people with 'lesser insurance' we decided to just keep going to our regular dentist in Amsterdam (we visit the city often enough anyway) - even though we have 'the right insurance' (who encourage us to have medical treatments etc done outside of Switzerland).

So, yes, having a lot of dental work done in Switzerland will likely be far more expensive than in France (although one would think the dentists close to the border know about this as well).

Cees K, Jan 26, 2011 @ 23:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
5 Replies | 1068 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form