Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Detaxing purchases for those living in France

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Detaxing purchases for those living in France

Hi All,

Just wondered if somebody knows the answer to this... Bought a Mac laptop online and had it delivered to a friend's in Geneva (Apple CH wouldn't deliver to France!). Anyway, I have the facture/receipt and wondered which land border allows you to detax and get all the paperwork stamped (I live on the French side)? Also, will I get hit with French TVA sales tax (which would mean it's not worth doing)? I usually cross at Moellesullaz, but that's always closed/nobody there at customs. Any help/ideas much appreciated! Thanks,

James

The text you are quoting:

Hi All,

Just wondered if somebody knows the answer to this... Bought a Mac laptop online and had it delivered to a friend's in Geneva (Apple CH wouldn't deliver to France!). Anyway, I have the facture/receipt and wondered which land border allows you to detax and get all the paperwork stamped (I live on the French side)? Also, will I get hit with French TVA sales tax (which would mean it's not worth doing)? I usually cross at Moellesullaz, but that's always closed/nobody there at customs. Any help/ideas much appreciated! Thanks,

James

James SJul 20, 2010 @ 17:35
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

6 Replies | 2079 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Detaxing purchases for those living in France
Post 1

Hi All,

James

Jul 20, 10 17:35

Yes, your Swiss purchase will be, indeed already is, liable for French VAT (18%), provided you are not a company. This is the point of declaring at the border. This way, one can shop in one country, but pay the tax in the resident country.

Now, I'm not a tax expert, but the rules seem pretty simple. Purchases from the US may even add a toll surcharge in the customs.

Whether or not it's worth doing, depends on how much your peace of mind is worth to you.

If I'm wrong, and I could be, then please correct.

Yes, your Swiss purchase will be, indeed already is, liable for French VAT (18%), provided you are not a company. This is the point of declaring at the border. This way, one can shop in one country, but pay the tax in the resident country.

Now, I'm not a tax expert, but the rules seem pretty simple. Purchases from the US may even add a toll surcharge in the customs.

Whether or not it's worth doing, depends on how much your peace of mind is worth to you.

If I'm wrong, and I could be, then please correct.

FerneyL, Jul 20, 2010 @ 18:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

The border crossing under the landing strip at the airport is nearly always manned.

The border crossing under the landing strip at the airport is nearly always manned.

FerneyL, Jul 20, 2010 @ 18:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

There is a customs office at the Bardonnex border.

There is a customs office at the Bardonnex border.

just_me, Jul 20, 2010 @ 19:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

hello why would you like to detax the computer? by the way the frenc tva is 19.6%

hello why would you like to detax the computer? by the way the frenc tva is 19.6%

Kenia C, Jul 20, 2010 @ 19:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Depends on whether apple.ch participates in the tax free shopping programme. As a frontalier (I presume you are working in GE), I doubt you qualify as a foreign visitor.

Foreign visitors spending more than CHF400 on goods from shops displaying the Tax-free Shopping sign are entitled to claim the VAT back. Make sure you remember to collect an appropriate form from the shop when you make your purchases. Currently VAT added on goods in Switzerland is 7.6%.

To reclaim tax you will need to obtain a VAT refund request form when you make a purchase, which will state the amount of refund due. These documents are then stamped by customs officials as you leave the country and mailed back to the store.

Alternatively you can purchase goods directly from shops participating in Tax-free Shopping (look out for the Tax-free Shopping logo displayed in the window) programme. Simply show your passport when you make a purchase and you will be given a Tax-free Shopping Cheque showing the refund you are owed. As you leave the country, you will need to show the purchases to the appropriate customs official who will stamp your cheques. You can then claim your refund from the Tax-free Shopping desk or have it sent to you.

Depends on whether apple.ch participates in the tax free shopping programme. As a frontalier (I presume you are working in GE), I doubt you qualify as a foreign visitor.

Foreign visitors spending more than CHF400 on goods from shops displaying the Tax-free Shopping sign are entitled to claim the VAT back. Make sure you remember to collect an appropriate form from the shop when you make your purchases. Currently VAT added on goods in Switzerland is 7.6%.

To reclaim tax you will need to obtain a VAT refund request form when you make a purchase, which will state the amount of refund due. These documents are then stamped by customs officials as you leave the country and mailed back to the store.

Alternatively you can purchase goods directly from shops participating in Tax-free Shopping (look out for the Tax-free Shopping logo displayed in the window) programme. Simply show your passport when you make a purchase and you will be given a Tax-free Shopping Cheque showing the refund you are owed. As you leave the country, you will need to show the purchases to the appropriate customs official who will stamp your cheques. You can then claim your refund from the Tax-free Shopping desk or have it sent to you.

Novecento, Jul 20, 2010 @ 20:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Incidentally, If during your daily border crossing with your Mac from Geneva into France, you are stopped and checked by the French customs, you will need to show proof that French taxes has been paid for your Mac. Otherwise, you will have to pay the outstanding taxes plus a fine. Of course, this seldom happens but ....

Incidentally, If during your daily border crossing with your Mac from Geneva into France, you are stopped and checked by the French customs, you will need to show proof that French taxes has been paid for your Mac. Otherwise, you will have to pay the outstanding taxes plus a fine. Of course, this seldom happens but ....

Novecento, Jul 20, 2010 @ 20:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
6 Replies | 2079 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form