Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Dishonest cashier at supermarket in Geneva (Coop - Gare Cornavin)

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Dishonest cashier at supermarket in Geneva (Coop - Gare Cornavin)

Hi everyone,

I am new in Geneva and had very bad experience with the cashiers of some supermarkets (Lidl, Coop) in here.

I experienced twice that the cashiers returned me short of my change. Each time 1 or 2 CHF. I always checked the receipt even though it's a long quene behind me and sometimes it makes me feel like I am under the pessure of paying quickly so that others can start their turn. For that two time experience, I was able to get back my change.

However, today I lost around 19 CHF at Coop in Gare Cornavin because of a stupid mistake and definitely I have to share my story so that others don't make the same mistake as me. I was in the quene at around 1 or 2pm today (Tues 15 May), and the renting agency called me on the phone. I took the phone and was distracted by the agency due to a negotiation about my moving in a new apartment. At that time, it's my turn to pay for a simple box of juice (costs 1.04 CHF). I was with the phone, and the agency kept talking a lot on the phone so all I remembered is I gave the cashier 20 CHF and got back to the negotiation with the agency immediately. As it's quite tension with the negotiation, I forgot to get my change and receipt for the box of juice. I just opened my bag and put the box of juice in, looked at the cashier while still talking on the phone. The cashier, he didn't say a damn thing about my change, and contined to proceed for the next customer.

I didn't realize the whole thing until I was on the bus and checked my wallet again. I feel very disappointed about this experience and wonder if the store is equipped with a camera which I can request to check the record? Or is there any way I can report this problem so that at least it can contribute to discontinuing those acts of dishonesty?

Thanks, 

The text you are quoting:

Hi everyone,

I am new in Geneva and had very bad experience with the cashiers of some supermarkets (Lidl, Coop) in here.

I experienced twice that the cashiers returned me short of my change. Each time 1 or 2 CHF. I always checked the receipt even though it's a long quene behind me and sometimes it makes me feel like I am under the pessure of paying quickly so that others can start their turn. For that two time experience, I was able to get back my change.

However, today I lost around 19 CHF at Coop in Gare Cornavin because of a stupid mistake and definitely I have to share my story so that others don't make the same mistake as me. I was in the quene at around 1 or 2pm today (Tues 15 May), and the renting agency called me on the phone. I took the phone and was distracted by the agency due to a negotiation about my moving in a new apartment. At that time, it's my turn to pay for a simple box of juice (costs 1.04 CHF). I was with the phone, and the agency kept talking a lot on the phone so all I remembered is I gave the cashier 20 CHF and got back to the negotiation with the agency immediately. As it's quite tension with the negotiation, I forgot to get my change and receipt for the box of juice. I just opened my bag and put the box of juice in, looked at the cashier while still talking on the phone. The cashier, he didn't say a damn thing about my change, and contined to proceed for the next customer.

I didn't realize the whole thing until I was on the bus and checked my wallet again. I feel very disappointed about this experience and wonder if the store is equipped with a camera which I can request to check the record? Or is there any way I can report this problem so that at least it can contribute to discontinuing those acts of dishonesty?

Thanks, 

Trang TranMay 15, 2018 @ 23:01
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

3 Replies | 234 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Dishonest cashier at supermarket in Geneva (Coop - Gare Cornavin)
Post 1

In my opinion u r at fault. U were careless. Also cashier may not be dishonest. Don't be judgemental. U can go and talk the cashier. If cash is more at the end of the day, he can give u back whatsoever balance. Worth a try.

In my opinion u r at fault. U were careless. Also cashier may not be dishonest. Don't be judgemental. U can go and talk the cashier. If cash is more at the end of the day, he can give u back whatsoever balance. Worth a try.

Sam D, May 16, 2018 @ 00:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi everyone,

Thanks, 

May 15, 18 23:01

First of all, you should always check your change and the till receipt before you leave a store and if you have any doubt go the Customer Service (“Service clientèle”) counter straight away.

Cashiers have to hand over their till boxes and the automatically recorded till receipts at the end of each shift.  Their name and employee number are also recorded.

Most of them are not only honest, they are anxious to keep their jobs which are in ever-decreasing supply.  However, mistakes can always happen so it’s worth having a till receipt checked even if you can’t do so straight away.

That said, it is also imprudent – not to say discourteous – to use your phone or even talk to someone standing nearby during a financial transaction.  It conveys the impression that the matter, and the cashier, are of little consequence to you.

All the best, R.

First of all, you should always check your change and the till receipt before you leave a store and if you have any doubt go the Customer Service (“Service clientèle”) counter straight away.

Cashiers have to hand over their till boxes and the automatically recorded till receipts at the end of each shift.  Their name and employee number are also recorded.

Most of them are not only honest, they are anxious to keep their jobs which are in ever-decreasing supply.  However, mistakes can always happen so it’s worth having a till receipt checked even if you can’t do so straight away.

That said, it is also imprudent – not to say discourteous – to use your phone or even talk to someone standing nearby during a financial transaction.  It conveys the impression that the matter, and the cashier, are of little consequence to you.

All the best, R.

Ritchie, May 16, 2018 @ 04:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

I agree with Sam and Ritchie. And let me add one other possibility: if you were so distracted, can you be sure that the cashier did not put the change on the counter and you, who were too busy on the phone, failed to pick it up? In which case, someone else could have picked it up or the cashier could have taken it, put it aside and saved it for you.

You are making a lot of assumptions here, when you were in fact being careless and discorteous with the cashier and the other customers.

Good luck.

I agree with Sam and Ritchie. And let me add one other possibility: if you were so distracted, can you be sure that the cashier did not put the change on the counter and you, who were too busy on the phone, failed to pick it up? In which case, someone else could have picked it up or the cashier could have taken it, put it aside and saved it for you.

You are making a lot of assumptions here, when you were in fact being careless and discorteous with the cashier and the other customers.

Good luck.

JR M, May 16, 2018 @ 09:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
3 Replies | 234 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form