Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Driver's Liscense

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Driver's Liscense

hi all.

I have a U.S. driver's liscense and need to get a Swiss liscense (I have been here almost one year).  Do I do this at the office in Carouge?  Do I need to make an appointment?  What do I need to bring with me?  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

Kat

The text you are quoting:

hi all.

I have a U.S. driver's liscense and need to get a Swiss liscense (I have been here almost one year).  Do I do this at the office in Carouge?  Do I need to make an appointment?  What do I need to bring with me?  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

Kat

Kat SSep 20, 2010 @ 10:34
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

12 Replies | 1193 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Driver's Liscense
Post 1

Hi,

Bring your passport, passphoto, workpermit and old driverslisence (they will send that back to your home/previous country.

Not sure if you need to fill out a form beforehand, but I do think so. You should be able to find it here:

http://www.ge.ch/san/

You will receive the new lisence after +-5 working days.

Hi,

Bring your passport, passphoto, workpermit and old driverslisence (they will send that back to your home/previous country.

Not sure if you need to fill out a form beforehand, but I do think so. You should be able to find it here:

http://www.ge.ch/san/

You will receive the new lisence after +-5 working days.

ThomasNL, Sep 20, 2010 @ 10:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Check this page: It has all the information including the form: 

Transaction Documents to

Perform
in 12 months
upon taking up residence in Switzerland
Form an exchange of foreign driver's license (PDF-317Ko)
Original foreign license to exchange
Certificate of registered optician (not older than 24 months)
A color photograph, passport size, full face, bareheaded
ID:
- Switzerland: identity card or passport
- Foreign: booklet for foreigners
Note The driver must appear in person at the counter service of driving.

http://www.ge.ch/san/permis-de-conduire-et-permis-d-eleve/welcome.asp?rubrique=echange-d-un-permis-de-conduire-etranger&titre=Echange_d__un_permis_de_conduire_etranger

Hope this helps. 

Check this page: It has all the information including the form: 

Transaction Documents to

Perform
in 12 months
upon taking up residence in Switzerland
Form an exchange of foreign driver's license (PDF-317Ko)
Original foreign license to exchange
Certificate of registered optician (not older than 24 months)
A color photograph, passport size, full face, bareheaded
ID:
- Switzerland: identity card or passport
- Foreign: booklet for foreigners
Note The driver must appear in person at the counter service of driving.

http://www.ge.ch/san/permis-de-conduire-et-permis-d-eleve/welcome.asp?rubrique=echange-d-un-permis-de-conduire-etranger&titre=Echange_d__un_permis_de_conduire_etranger

Hope this helps. 

Richard A, Sep 20, 2010 @ 10:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

The Swiss will give you a license with the same capabilities as your US license.

Your US license allows you to operate certain commercial vehicle categories in the US.  Licensing for similar categories in CH requires a heath certificate.  You'll have the option of giving-up those categories if you don't want to bother with visiting a doctor.

Also, as a non-EU person, you'll get your old license back.

The Swiss will give you a license with the same capabilities as your US license.

Your US license allows you to operate certain commercial vehicle categories in the US.  Licensing for similar categories in CH requires a heath certificate.  You'll have the option of giving-up those categories if you don't want to bother with visiting a doctor.

Also, as a non-EU person, you'll get your old license back.

richardm, Sep 20, 2010 @ 11:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

As some additional informations (Richard already mentionned all the papers needed) :

- You do not need to make an apointment but just go there (office in Carouge) and line up (I went at lunch time and waited like 1hour and half...it might be better to go at the openning time at 7.30 am).

- It costs 150 CHF and bring cash if you don't have a Maestro because they do not take Visa/Amex or Mastercard... (I had to go get some cash once called at the cash out)...

- The good thing was you got your licence right away.

As some additional informations (Richard already mentionned all the papers needed) :

- You do not need to make an apointment but just go there (office in Carouge) and line up (I went at lunch time and waited like 1hour and half...it might be better to go at the openning time at 7.30 am).

- It costs 150 CHF and bring cash if you don't have a Maestro because they do not take Visa/Amex or Mastercard... (I had to go get some cash once called at the cash out)...

- The good thing was you got your licence right away.

nicolas o, Sep 20, 2010 @ 11:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

go in the morning or afternoon, as far from "lunch hours" as mentioned above :-)

go in the morning or afternoon, as far from "lunch hours" as mentioned above :-)

Caroline K, Sep 20, 2010 @ 15:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

So, I am correct in understading that I do not need the eye exam if I don't want to operate certain commercial vehicles? 

Thanks for the all the info.

So, I am correct in understading that I do not need the eye exam if I don't want to operate certain commercial vehicles? 

Kat S, Sep 20, 2010 @ 19:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

The certificate from the optician is obligatory - it is only about 20-30 CHF and you can get it at any optician.

The certificate from the optician is obligatory - it is only about 20-30 CHF and you can get it at any optician.

Caroline K, Sep 20, 2010 @ 19:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Sep 20, 10 19:36

Yes, you *do* need the eye exam.  It's the medical that you wouldn't need.

Yes, you *do* need the eye exam.  It's the medical that you wouldn't need.

richardm, Sep 20, 2010 @ 23:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Hi, I have Russian international licence and I need to change them - would I be correct to understand that the papaer work is all that needed or I thought that there is a test that I need to make too?

Thank you.

Ekaterina

p.s. i was in Switzerland for more than a year but no car is registered to me - would it be a problem, does anyone know?

thank you:)

Hi, I have Russian international licence and I need to change them - would I be correct to understand that the papaer work is all that needed or I thought that there is a test that I need to make too?

Thank you.

Ekaterina

p.s. i was in Switzerland for more than a year but no car is registered to me - would it be a problem, does anyone know?

thank you:)

Ekaterina P, Sep 21, 2010 @ 17:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Not sure with Russian but normally they do not insist on the driving test rule.  Both my wife and daughter opresented their UK licences much later but I think they had to do the eyesight test.  Best is to go but not at lunchtime, take something to read.  Myself I would risk going without the eyesight test and be prepared to go a second time. At least the first time you will find out if anything else is missing.  You could also post your question on one of the groups of Russians in Geneva and you might get a better answer speicically linked to your driving licence 

Not sure with Russian but normally they do not insist on the driving test rule.  Both my wife and daughter opresented their UK licences much later but I think they had to do the eyesight test.  Best is to go but not at lunchtime, take something to read.  Myself I would risk going without the eyesight test and be prepared to go a second time. At least the first time you will find out if anything else is missing.  You could also post your question on one of the groups of Russians in Geneva and you might get a better answer speicically linked to your driving licence 

Paul E, Sep 21, 2010 @ 17:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Just seen the beginning of the h^thread.  So as not to cause confusion, my last posting was for Ekaterina

Just seen the beginning of the h^thread.  So as not to cause confusion, my last posting was for Ekaterina

Paul E, Sep 21, 2010 @ 17:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Paul,

Thank you - on the licence I have the confirmation that the eyes are good but will do the test jhust in case:)

Paul,

Thank you - on the licence I have the confirmation that the eyes are good but will do the test jhust in case:)

Ekaterina P, Sep 21, 2010 @ 17:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
12 Replies | 1193 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form