Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Driving Test & Costs

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Driving Test & Costs

My kids are getting to the age where they need to learn to drive and hopefully pass the test. Any advice on the fastest and most economical way to get through the process from start to finish? I live near Nyon  - Vaud. (Also is it possible to learn in France (eg Divone) and then transfer the licence?) Thoughts advice much appreciated .  

The text you are quoting:

My kids are getting to the age where they need to learn to drive and hopefully pass the test. Any advice on the fastest and most economical way to get through the process from start to finish? I live near Nyon  - Vaud. (Also is it possible to learn in France (eg Divone) and then transfer the licence?) Thoughts advice much appreciated .  

Tim emensAug 9, 2017 @ 17:06
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

5 Replies | 1547 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Driving Test & Costs
Post 1

I dont think that you are allowed to pass to test in France if registered in Vaud. Perhaps not even in another canton, I started in Vaud but moved to Geneva, I had to re-do my eye test for example, they wanted one from their own canton!

As for the cost, the main way to reduce it is for you to drive with your child once they have the theory test. They are allowed to drive with you in the passenger seat, though there are some criteria you need to have (have a swiss driving license for i think at least 2 years, have a swiss insurance for example). Also you need an "L" sign. You would need to check the requirements but I hear this is a popular option.

This cuts down on the amount of lessons your child needs, however they would still need to take some lessons, even if just to learn how to drive for the exam. So for example, know a number of answers to standard questions the instructor might ask (example: how quickly should you be able to get to a full stop at any time, the answer being within half of the visible distance in front of you). Also, very important, how to turn, ie they want the student to signal, check the mirror, and very visibly, almost theatrically, turn their haed and check their blind spot. I was told by my instructor half of failures to the test revolve around problem. A lot of people who in reality know how to drive would fail the exam..

You can also bring your child to the exam, saving you the expense of booking an hour's lesson just to have an instructor's car for this. However I was told examiners dislike this and may refuse to go ahead with the exam if any detail of the car isnt to their liking.

Note that once the permit is obtained, the holder only has a student permit, meaning that a) any mistake costs a lot more, even the withdrawal of the permit and having to do the whole process again. And b) they have a period of 2 years within which to do a 2 day course for new drivers, where the main topics are breaking distances in different circumstances, and eco friendly, low consumption driving.

I dont think that you are allowed to pass to test in France if registered in Vaud. Perhaps not even in another canton, I started in Vaud but moved to Geneva, I had to re-do my eye test for example, they wanted one from their own canton!

As for the cost, the main way to reduce it is for you to drive with your child once they have the theory test. They are allowed to drive with you in the passenger seat, though there are some criteria you need to have (have a swiss driving license for i think at least 2 years, have a swiss insurance for example). Also you need an "L" sign. You would need to check the requirements but I hear this is a popular option.

This cuts down on the amount of lessons your child needs, however they would still need to take some lessons, even if just to learn how to drive for the exam. So for example, know a number of answers to standard questions the instructor might ask (example: how quickly should you be able to get to a full stop at any time, the answer being within half of the visible distance in front of you). Also, very important, how to turn, ie they want the student to signal, check the mirror, and very visibly, almost theatrically, turn their haed and check their blind spot. I was told by my instructor half of failures to the test revolve around problem. A lot of people who in reality know how to drive would fail the exam..

You can also bring your child to the exam, saving you the expense of booking an hour's lesson just to have an instructor's car for this. However I was told examiners dislike this and may refuse to go ahead with the exam if any detail of the car isnt to their liking.

Note that once the permit is obtained, the holder only has a student permit, meaning that a) any mistake costs a lot more, even the withdrawal of the permit and having to do the whole process again. And b) they have a period of 2 years within which to do a 2 day course for new drivers, where the main topics are breaking distances in different circumstances, and eco friendly, low consumption driving.

Francois F, Aug 18, 2017 @ 16:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Gossip has it that there’s something of an old boys’ network in place for the driving test:  having a few lessons with an accredited driving instructor and being introduced to the examiner by him improves your chances of of passing the test first time.

Gossip has it that there’s something of an old boys’ network in place for the driving test:  having a few lessons with an accredited driving instructor and being introduced to the examiner by him improves your chances of of passing the test first time.

Ritchie, Aug 19, 2017 @ 03:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Aug 19, 17 03:16

I've heard this one too Ritchie, it worked for a friend so of course they're convinced it's true. My son is going to use this service offered by his driving school. The service costs CHF200 and consists of 50 minutes of practical driving just prior to the test, introduction to the test examiner and use of driving school car for the test. The actual test costs an additional CHF120 (in Geneva).

I've heard this one too Ritchie, it worked for a friend so of course they're convinced it's true. My son is going to use this service offered by his driving school. The service costs CHF200 and consists of 50 minutes of practical driving just prior to the test, introduction to the test examiner and use of driving school car for the test. The actual test costs an additional CHF120 (in Geneva).

Shirley T, Sep 1, 2017 @ 08:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Sep 1, 17 08:02

It sounds as if the gossip isn’t all that fictitious.

All the best for your son whatever you decide.

R.

It sounds as if the gossip isn’t all that fictitious.

All the best for your son whatever you decide.

R.

Ritchie, Sep 1, 2017 @ 09:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Sep 1, 17 08:02

Did your kids already pass the examin de theorie? I'm in a dire need of help to pass this, any great ideas? It seems the book and the tests are quite different, or the tests and its answers don't exist as a book, for someone to prepare, or am I wrong in there?

I don't know if it's economical or not, but I got a package kit from a driving school to do everything from scratch, first aid, cours de theorie, but now have to pass the examin de theorie, in order to be able to do driving lessons... it costed some chf 1000 i believe, which is going to go out the window, unless I find the help to get over that examin...

Did your kids already pass the examin de theorie? I'm in a dire need of help to pass this, any great ideas? It seems the book and the tests are quite different, or the tests and its answers don't exist as a book, for someone to prepare, or am I wrong in there?

I don't know if it's economical or not, but I got a package kit from a driving school to do everything from scratch, first aid, cours de theorie, but now have to pass the examin de theorie, in order to be able to do driving lessons... it costed some chf 1000 i believe, which is going to go out the window, unless I find the help to get over that examin...

Tunga N, Sep 4, 2017 @ 11:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
5 Replies | 1547 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form