Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Driving license?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Driving license?

How do I qualify / get one in Geneva?  Do I need one for a moped?

Do you think Geneva is moped friendly? 

Si

:)

The text you are quoting:

How do I qualify / get one in Geneva?  Do I need one for a moped?

Do you think Geneva is moped friendly? 

Si

:)
Si.PhillipsJul 23, 2009 @ 22:45

Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

6 Replies | 2058 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Driving license?
Post 1
Hi Si,

To get a swiss drivers license you just exchange it at the service de automobiles for a fee, i am pretty sure it is $150CHF paid in cash on the spot. You just need to fill out the forms and do an eye test beforehand. If an EU license you dont get the original back.

As for scooters you can ride a 50cc one with your drivers license otherwise you have to get a scooter license upt to 125cc, beyond that it is full motorcycle one.

You need a temp permit which is about $100CHF this enables you to buy a scooter (above 50cc) then attend 8hrs of mandatory class there is no test. take proof of classes to services de automobiles and they just give you the required class on your license. Cant do any of this without a swiss license though.

I bought a scooter as tend to stay within the bounds of city and parking is a pain, but if you plan to regularly use a car then I would just go for that option.

Nat
Hi Si,

To get a swiss drivers license you just exchange it at the service de automobiles for a fee, i am pretty sure it is $150CHF paid in cash on the spot. You just need to fill out the forms and do an eye test beforehand. If an EU license you dont get the original back.

As for scooters you can ride a 50cc one with your drivers license otherwise you have to get a scooter license upt to 125cc, beyond that it is full motorcycle one.

You need a temp permit which is about $100CHF this enables you to buy a scooter (above 50cc) then attend 8hrs of mandatory class there is no test. take proof of classes to services de automobiles and they just give you the required class on your license. Cant do any of this without a swiss license though.

I bought a scooter as tend to stay within the bounds of city and parking is a pain, but if you plan to regularly use a car then I would just go for that option.

Nat
natd76, Jul 23, 2009 @ 23:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
Thanks Nat

Not sure why my picture doesn't show in the forum, but anyway . . .

Few follow up questions:

Where do I find the service de automobiles?  Do you know what the vision requirement is?  Is the eye test done at the same place?  Can I just walk in?

My current license is British.

Scooter may be the way for me to go.  Need license first.

Si

Thanks Nat

Not sure why my picture doesn't show in the forum, but anyway . . .

Few follow up questions:

Where do I find the service de automobiles?  Do you know what the vision requirement is?  Is the eye test done at the same place?  Can I just walk in?

My current license is British.

Scooter may be the way for me to go.  Need license first.

Si

Si.Phillips, Jul 23, 2009 @ 23:11

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
Geneva is moped friendly, just the car drivers that are not.:D

You will want some defensive driving classes as in many cases the moped and motorcycle drivers are worse than the car drivers.

Mopeds are favored by a lot of people as you can make much better time than in a car and parking is free and more readily available.
Geneva is moped friendly, just the car drivers that are not.:D

You will want some defensive driving classes as in many cases the moped and motorcycle drivers are worse than the car drivers.

Mopeds are favored by a lot of people as you can make much better time than in a car and parking is free and more readily available.
Verbier, Jul 23, 2009 @ 23:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
yes I thought so.  Thanks for your reply. 

So now I just need answers requested in my last post.

Si

yes I thought so.  Thanks for your reply. 

So now I just need answers requested in my last post.

Si
Si.Phillips, Jul 23, 2009 @ 23:19

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
Service de Automobile is in Carouge. Here is their website www.ge.ch/san/

The eye test can be done at any eye clinic in Geneva like visilab which is a balexert and also at many other places in geneva. Btw, if you are interested, I can offer you the visilab coupon for eye test at half price (posted in market place too). It's valid till 31st July. Cheers!

Service de Automobile is in Carouge. Here is their website www.ge.ch/san/

The eye test can be done at any eye clinic in Geneva like visilab which is a balexert and also at many other places in geneva. Btw, if you are interested, I can offer you the visilab coupon for eye test at half price (posted in market place too). It's valid till 31st July. Cheers!

wildboar, Jul 23, 2009 @ 23:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
Thanks, that's really great.  I don't think I'll get to it by July 31 though, but thanks again.

Si

Thanks, that's really great.  I don't think I'll get to it by July 31 though, but thanks again.

Si
Si.Phillips, Jul 23, 2009 @ 23:32

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
6 Replies | 2058 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form