Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Education or a job in English

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Education or a job in English

Hello, 

I'm Abel a former college student in Eritrea and now a refuge living here in Genève for the last 10 months and I would like to ask that, can I get an education or a job in English because I didn't expected French language to be this hard? 

The text you are quoting:

Hello, 

I'm Abel a former college student in Eritrea and now a refuge living here in Genève for the last 10 months and I would like to ask that, can I get an education or a job in English because I didn't expected French language to be this hard? 

Abel BApr 15, 2016 @ 02:50
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

6 Replies | 1008 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Education or a job in English
Post 1

I think you should go to the unemployment agency and look for possible jobs and they can help you with looking for adequate schools.

That being said, English without a proper qualification is normally not sufficient to work on the Swiss market.

If you want to study in English, I recommend that you look for on-line courses in English from European schools those certificates are likely to be accepted in Switzerland. However, these are unlikely to be free of charge.

Of course, there always the obvious places to work as kebab shops etc. But usually there they also expect you to speak some English and they often exploit people.

Unfortunately nor the Swiss, neither the European market is ready fo the influx of refugees and the expectation  is everywhere the same. Adapt to the local language requirements unless you have a high qualification enabling you to pitch a really good job where your experience makes up for the lack of language skills.

So I really recommend that you invest all your time and energy in learning French as for you in Switzerland (in the French speaking part) this will be key for survival and staying on.

I think you should go to the unemployment agency and look for possible jobs and they can help you with looking for adequate schools.

That being said, English without a proper qualification is normally not sufficient to work on the Swiss market.

If you want to study in English, I recommend that you look for on-line courses in English from European schools those certificates are likely to be accepted in Switzerland. However, these are unlikely to be free of charge.

Of course, there always the obvious places to work as kebab shops etc. But usually there they also expect you to speak some English and they often exploit people.

Unfortunately nor the Swiss, neither the European market is ready fo the influx of refugees and the expectation  is everywhere the same. Adapt to the local language requirements unless you have a high qualification enabling you to pitch a really good job where your experience makes up for the lack of language skills.

So I really recommend that you invest all your time and energy in learning French as for you in Switzerland (in the French speaking part) this will be key for survival and staying on.

Reka Y, Apr 15, 2016 @ 15:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

If you are looking for a job in Geneva 10 months is not a long time. It takes ages if you do not speak french. Depending on what you are looking for some jobs need fluent French and English or German. As for school, there are courses in English but they are in the private universities so that is another expense about 32000 a year. 

I advice that you just concentrate on learning the french and start from there.

If you are looking for a job in Geneva 10 months is not a long time. It takes ages if you do not speak french. Depending on what you are looking for some jobs need fluent French and English or German. As for school, there are courses in English but they are in the private universities so that is another expense about 32000 a year. 

I advice that you just concentrate on learning the french and start from there.

Marcy S, Apr 15, 2016 @ 20:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

For very reasonably priced French courses, check out the website of the Université populaire de Genève.  Their classes are greatly in demand so it may be too late now for a place immediately but at least you’d be in line for the next academic year.  Their courses are open to all.

The Université ouvrière de Genève is somewhat more selective but it costs nothing to inquire whether you qualify for one of their French classes.  Again, you may now have to wait until after the summer break for a place.

In any event, it’s worth enrolling in a class or at least organizing a tandem arrangement (via glocals maybe?) because it demonstrated to any future employer that you’re making a real effort to adapt to the local market.

Best wishes, R.   

For very reasonably priced French courses, check out the website of the Université populaire de Genève.  Their classes are greatly in demand so it may be too late now for a place immediately but at least you’d be in line for the next academic year.  Their courses are open to all.

The Université ouvrière de Genève is somewhat more selective but it costs nothing to inquire whether you qualify for one of their French classes.  Again, you may now have to wait until after the summer break for a place.

In any event, it’s worth enrolling in a class or at least organizing a tandem arrangement (via glocals maybe?) because it demonstrated to any future employer that you’re making a real effort to adapt to the local market.

Best wishes, R.   

Ritchie, Apr 16, 2016 @ 09:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

And the redcross also offers french courses for refugees. You might have a chance if you ask your assistant social to apply for you to them otherwise there might be a long wait there too.  also about the job it mostly depends on what permit you have and how flexible you are.

And the redcross also offers french courses for refugees. You might have a chance if you ask your assistant social to apply for you to them otherwise there might be a long wait there too.  also about the job it mostly depends on what permit you have and how flexible you are.

Marcy S, Apr 16, 2016 @ 12:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

You could also ask your “Assistant social” if there is any volunteer work you could do – say, helping Eritrean refugee children to read and write or do their sums.  Volunteering can get you noticed as someone who is ready to use his time and talent to help others.

R.

You could also ask your “Assistant social” if there is any volunteer work you could do – say, helping Eritrean refugee children to read and write or do their sums.  Volunteering can get you noticed as someone who is ready to use his time and talent to help others.

R.

Ritchie, Apr 16, 2016 @ 13:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Thanks a lot everyone for your kind and supportive advices, it means a lot to me...Thank you very much! I hope I can be integrated in the whole system shortly! Best wishes to all.

Thanks a lot everyone for your kind and supportive advices, it means a lot to me...Thank you very much! I hope I can be integrated in the whole system shortly! Best wishes to all.

Abel B, Apr 16, 2016 @ 14:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
6 Replies | 1008 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form