Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Emergency call number (locksmith)

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Emergency call number (locksmith)

Suppose I get locked in after my key gets stuck in my door lock (yes, it locks inside as well as out) to my apartment today, a national bank holiday, and my landlord has not replied to my call yet. Who should I call? I suspect my landlord would return and possibly be able to unlock the door, but I would still prefer to be able to move outside today so I can eat. Basically I would need a locksmith to extricate my key, not break the lock and create a new one (I would still want my landlord's keys to work so they don't have to create new keys).

The text you are quoting:

Suppose I get locked in after my key gets stuck in my door lock (yes, it locks inside as well as out) to my apartment today, a national bank holiday, and my landlord has not replied to my call yet. Who should I call? I suspect my landlord would return and possibly be able to unlock the door, but I would still prefer to be able to move outside today so I can eat. Basically I would need a locksmith to extricate my key, not break the lock and create a new one (I would still want my landlord's keys to work so they don't have to create new keys).

Justin CMay 16, 2016 @ 10:32
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

14 Replies | 4554 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Emergency call number (locksmith)
Post 1

http://www.sos-serrures.ch/index.php/fr/contacts

http://www.sos-serrures.ch/index.php/fr/contacts

Reka Y, May 16, 2016 @ 10:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Ps. It is going to be expensive....min CHF 100 but if he thinks they need to replace the lock, it is more 300 to 500 CHF. I hope you already concluded a household insurance.

Ps. It is going to be expensive....min CHF 100 but if he thinks they need to replace the lock, it is more 300 to 500 CHF. I hope you already concluded a household insurance.

Reka Y, May 16, 2016 @ 10:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Thanks for the help! My landlord came by with some DX40 and we were able to extricate the key without needing a replacement lock. I appreciate the help though; I'll call them if an emergency arises.

Thanks for the help! My landlord came by with some DX40 and we were able to extricate the key without needing a replacement lock. I appreciate the help though; I'll call them if an emergency arises.

Justin C, May 16, 2016 @ 16:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Correction: WD 40, not DX 40. (as someone new to the forums, how do I edit my posts?)

Correction: WD 40, not DX 40. (as someone new to the forums, how do I edit my posts?)

Justin C, May 16, 2016 @ 23:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

A cautionary tale! 

Afraid it’s a bit lengthy read, but I feel important to  for people to know the details in order to avoid finding themselves in this situation

I had a bad experience with sos keys least year.
It was disappointing as had used them once, years before, when I found them good and honest. 

However, my keys went missing last year when I had been out shopping. The end of the afternoon   I went to the police who were vey helpful and also told me to get touch with my household insurance about this. They gave a report for the stolen keys so I could claim back everything, they said would be no trouble with an RC. 

On phoning sos keys I found them immediately unhelpful . The receptionist appeared vey focused on solely replacing the lock whereas due to my past experience I believed that  it should be possible just open the door. I had after all my spare keys inside the flat. He hummed and hawed, asking if the key was turned once or twice.
‘Twice',  I said 'of course’. 
Finally he says in doubtful tones he doesn’t think it possible for a key turned twice in the lock  to be just opened and when I persisted, told me to ask the locksmith he would be sending, but for him a key turned twice meant replacing the lock .

When the locksmith came, well over an hour later, I brought this up, but he was totally uninterested In what I said, and even I could tell by his feeble attempts that he certainly was not trying to open it. Certainly 'not possible for a key turned twice' for him. 'Impossible to open because of this, according to him. 
So the lock was replaced  - 300chf cost

Was replaced of course with an sos lock and keys, and in my building we have multi lock security pass keys that open front door, for the lessive, velo room and personal flat. I knew that when I left the flat I would have to give back the same keys as I had received and therefore the sos keys would not be acceptable, the lock would have to be changed again. 
As things only get  more expensive with time, I guessed it better to do that pretty soon, especially as I had the police report to send to my insurance.

The Regie’s locksmith came,  measured the lock for replacement and to order a new lock which would take a few weeks (it was the beginning of summer holidays unfortunately, so took twice as long as normally would have done, which would have been 3 weeks).

When he came back the next time  to fit it and was there a bit longer, I asked him about his view about the fact that SOS keys had not been able to open the door when the key had been turned 2x.  Because I personally hadn’t believed him that  it wasn’t possible.

Well this guy looked rather uncomfortable, but admitted in the end that turning the key twice was no reason not to just open the door, and certainly not to neccessitate a whole change of the lock.
 He said that unfortunately this can happen quite often, quite a few locksmiths do this . After all they have you captive there outside your flat and you are in a helpless situation, it is often a difficult time of day and you’re tired and just want to get back in your flat  as soon as possible. You are vulnerable. Or people need to get back in for important reasons or sometimes there can even be someone  sick in there, behind the door. So they take advantage of you..!!!
To him a well experienced locksmith, working for the Regie there should have been no reason to replace the lock, just for turning the key twice.  

Well, I sent all bills, reports off to the insurance.
Here a strong  beware to all! 
Check your insurance does indeed cover you for this .  Only recently according to my insurance firm, is this specifically available in an insurance de menage for them  and you have to ask for it specifically for an extr fee..
Otherwise for many people even though they have what they believe an all including  household insurance would do, costs are  not covered. If it is not a very  recent policy It could be neccessary to add another cover clause to your present insurance even if your original insurance agent has assured you everything is covered, it might actually not be..

The problem for my insurance was that, although I would be covered for theft, technically speaking this only concerned the actual key that had disappeared. The lock itself had never of course been stolen, hence replacement  cost was not covered. This would mean that all costs of replacement would not  be covered. 

I had a good discussion with the insurance guy about this on the phone as I told him that the police had said anyyone would be covered by an  assurance de menage if they had an RC. He said he had heard this before but didn't know why the police told people  that, as it was not true. For much of the time, especially if made quite a few years ago one as not automatically covered. The clause of possible replacement, for extra fee,  was added only this year at my insurance company in the RC insurances

So   personally I would advise everybody to check their policies. Even if you had a very through agent filing it out the first time who assures you everything is covered, check it again that you are covered for this. If not, you  or someone else with same key/security lock situation as in my situation with pass key secured lock, (which is becoming all the more common place these  days), you would have to pay close on 1000chf total (New lock, 3 keys , 2 visits by locksmith firm)..  
Otherwise it will be the 300chf of SOS clé   replacement lock which is not  reimbursed.  

Also look NOW for an honest locksmith, in advance of anything happening, so when you cannot open your door they will help you correctly and open your door, not charge you with no reason to completely change a lock which does not need replacing, just the lock opening.

Certainly,, give  SOS class a wide berth. They are no longer an honest company. And are unfortunately not to be trusted these days.
  things happened and  forgot, so I’l put a copy of this post there shortly.

A cautionary tale! 

Afraid it’s a bit lengthy read, but I feel important to  for people to know the details in order to avoid finding themselves in this situation

I had a bad experience with sos keys least year.
It was disappointing as had used them once, years before, when I found them good and honest. 

However, my keys went missing last year when I had been out shopping. The end of the afternoon   I went to the police who were vey helpful and also told me to get touch with my household insurance about this. They gave a report for the stolen keys so I could claim back everything, they said would be no trouble with an RC. 

On phoning sos keys I found them immediately unhelpful . The receptionist appeared vey focused on solely replacing the lock whereas due to my past experience I believed that  it should be possible just open the door. I had after all my spare keys inside the flat. He hummed and hawed, asking if the key was turned once or twice.
‘Twice',  I said 'of course’. 
Finally he says in doubtful tones he doesn’t think it possible for a key turned twice in the lock  to be just opened and when I persisted, told me to ask the locksmith he would be sending, but for him a key turned twice meant replacing the lock .

When the locksmith came, well over an hour later, I brought this up, but he was totally uninterested In what I said, and even I could tell by his feeble attempts that he certainly was not trying to open it. Certainly 'not possible for a key turned twice' for him. 'Impossible to open because of this, according to him. 
So the lock was replaced  - 300chf cost

Was replaced of course with an sos lock and keys, and in my building we have multi lock security pass keys that open front door, for the lessive, velo room and personal flat. I knew that when I left the flat I would have to give back the same keys as I had received and therefore the sos keys would not be acceptable, the lock would have to be changed again. 
As things only get  more expensive with time, I guessed it better to do that pretty soon, especially as I had the police report to send to my insurance.

The Regie’s locksmith came,  measured the lock for replacement and to order a new lock which would take a few weeks (it was the beginning of summer holidays unfortunately, so took twice as long as normally would have done, which would have been 3 weeks).

When he came back the next time  to fit it and was there a bit longer, I asked him about his view about the fact that SOS keys had not been able to open the door when the key had been turned 2x.  Because I personally hadn’t believed him that  it wasn’t possible.

Well this guy looked rather uncomfortable, but admitted in the end that turning the key twice was no reason not to just open the door, and certainly not to neccessitate a whole change of the lock.
 He said that unfortunately this can happen quite often, quite a few locksmiths do this . After all they have you captive there outside your flat and you are in a helpless situation, it is often a difficult time of day and you’re tired and just want to get back in your flat  as soon as possible. You are vulnerable. Or people need to get back in for important reasons or sometimes there can even be someone  sick in there, behind the door. So they take advantage of you..!!!
To him a well experienced locksmith, working for the Regie there should have been no reason to replace the lock, just for turning the key twice.  

Well, I sent all bills, reports off to the insurance.
Here a strong  beware to all! 
Check your insurance does indeed cover you for this .  Only recently according to my insurance firm, is this specifically available in an insurance de menage for them  and you have to ask for it specifically for an extr fee..
Otherwise for many people even though they have what they believe an all including  household insurance would do, costs are  not covered. If it is not a very  recent policy It could be neccessary to add another cover clause to your present insurance even if your original insurance agent has assured you everything is covered, it might actually not be..

The problem for my insurance was that, although I would be covered for theft, technically speaking this only concerned the actual key that had disappeared. The lock itself had never of course been stolen, hence replacement  cost was not covered. This would mean that all costs of replacement would not  be covered. 

I had a good discussion with the insurance guy about this on the phone as I told him that the police had said anyyone would be covered by an  assurance de menage if they had an RC. He said he had heard this before but didn't know why the police told people  that, as it was not true. For much of the time, especially if made quite a few years ago one as not automatically covered. The clause of possible replacement, for extra fee,  was added only this year at my insurance company in the RC insurances

So   personally I would advise everybody to check their policies. Even if you had a very through agent filing it out the first time who assures you everything is covered, check it again that you are covered for this. If not, you  or someone else with same key/security lock situation as in my situation with pass key secured lock, (which is becoming all the more common place these  days), you would have to pay close on 1000chf total (New lock, 3 keys , 2 visits by locksmith firm)..  
Otherwise it will be the 300chf of SOS clé   replacement lock which is not  reimbursed.  

Also look NOW for an honest locksmith, in advance of anything happening, so when you cannot open your door they will help you correctly and open your door, not charge you with no reason to completely change a lock which does not need replacing, just the lock opening.

Certainly,, give  SOS class a wide berth. They are no longer an honest company. And are unfortunately not to be trusted these days.
  things happened and  forgot, so I’l put a copy of this post there shortly.

TogJay, May 17, 2016 @ 09:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

The end of my message appears to have been cut off, it should read: 

I was going to put a  oomment concerning this in the city guide here on slocals regarding locksmiths after what happened, but things happened and I forgot, so I'll put a copy of this post there shortly as a general warning.

The typing is aslo uneven in the post above, which must be a problem with the site today..

The end of my message appears to have been cut off, it should read: 

I was going to put a  oomment concerning this in the city guide here on slocals regarding locksmiths after what happened, but things happened and I forgot, so I'll put a copy of this post there shortly as a general warning.

The typing is aslo uneven in the post above, which must be a problem with the site today..

TogJay, May 17, 2016 @ 10:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Good to know. Are there alternatives that you have had a better experience with?

Good to know. Are there alternatives that you have had a better experience with?

Justin C, May 17, 2016 @ 20:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Sorry for delay in replying

Only needed a locksith twice. This last time being the more recent time.

Havent yet searched for prospective one yet to use if need be in the future

Sorry for delay in replying

Only needed a locksith twice. This last time being the more recent time.

Havent yet searched for prospective one yet to use if need be in the future

TogJay, May 19, 2016 @ 13:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Thanks for the review, I've seen review on their google profile but all of them was strangely too good.

Thanks for the review, I've seen review on their google profile but all of them was strangely too good.

Simon Rosenblatt, Jun 13, 2021 @ 03:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Is there a bug it seems I can't reply to this topic ?

Is there a bug it seems I can't reply to this topic ?

Simon Rosenblatt, Jun 13, 2021 @ 03:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

This was all a little whie ago so thank you for your post.

You know, at the time, i never even thought of going to their site and  the reviews.

I will post my experience, above, up on their website review page in the near future

Better late than never !

This was all a little whie ago so thank you for your post.

You know, at the time, i never even thought of going to their site and  the reviews.

I will post my experience, above, up on their website review page in the near future

Better late than never !

TogJay, Jun 13, 2021 @ 10:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

If anyone interested and want another locksmith contact info.

It happened last week, I called a locksmith for a broken key in the lock (I was drunk after a birthday party). It was abacs serrureries from https://www.serrurier-romand.ch/serrurier-lausanne/

The intervention delay was okay, around 40 min. He managed to remove the broken key without breaking anything else. It cost me 400 CHF.

I had a discussion with the locksmith and he told me that some dishonest locksmiths pretend that they have to destroy the lock in order to sell you a new one and increase the bill. At first I found that 400CHF was a bit too much but after hearing this I think I was lucky.

Hope this can help others and prevent them from being rip-off.

Have a nice evening !

Simon

It happened last week, I called a locksmith for a broken key in the lock (I was drunk after a birthday party). It was abacs serrureries from https://www.serrurier-romand.ch/serrurier-lausanne/

The intervention delay was okay, around 40 min. He managed to remove the broken key without breaking anything else. It cost me 400 CHF.

I had a discussion with the locksmith and he told me that some dishonest locksmiths pretend that they have to destroy the lock in order to sell you a new one and increase the bill. At first I found that 400CHF was a bit too much but after hearing this I think I was lucky.

Have a nice evening !

Simon

Simon Rosenblatt, Jun 13, 2021 @ 19:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Have a nice evening !

Simon

Jun 13, 21 19:23

Sorry, but I don’t understand your post.

You say that your key broke in its lock so you called a locksmith who fixed the problem for you.

But in your glocals Profile you claim to be a locksmith yourself so was it a colleague that you called?

Thanks for any enlightenment.

Sorry, but I don’t understand your post.

You say that your key broke in its lock so you called a locksmith who fixed the problem for you.

But in your glocals Profile you claim to be a locksmith yourself so was it a colleague that you called?

Thanks for any enlightenment.

Ritchie, Jun 15, 2021 @ 21:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

I always have WD40 and small needle nose pliars on hand for such occasions. Also a strong thin wire that could also push out a key. Also two very sharp thin pointy knives could help wiggle out a broken key. finally, Then carefully use superglue on the broken part and put on the broken part in the door, but ensure no glue is leaking or could permanantly glue the lock springs. 

I always have WD40 and small needle nose pliars on hand for such occasions. Also a strong thin wire that could also push out a key. Also two very sharp thin pointy knives could help wiggle out a broken key. finally, Then carefully use superglue on the broken part and put on the broken part in the door, but ensure no glue is leaking or could permanantly glue the lock springs. 

Dave G, Jun 17, 2021 @ 20:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
14 Replies | 4554 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form