Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > English books for kids

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
English books for kids

Hi,

Does anybody know a shop in Geneva where I could possibly find some English books for children?

Regards, 
Ramesh Tiwari 
Geneva, Switzerland 
+41 76 457 30 78 (M)

The text you are quoting:

Hi,

Does anybody know a shop in Geneva where I could possibly find some English books for children?

Regards, 
Ramesh Tiwari 
Geneva, Switzerland 
+41 76 457 30 78 (M)

R TApr 12, 2011 @ 21:28
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

12 Replies | 2392 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: English books for kids
Post 1

You can find quite a few used at the Salvation Army on Route de Chêne, tram stop - Roches, trams 12, 16, 17, direction Moillesulaz

You can find quite a few used at the Salvation Army on Route de Chêne, tram stop - Roches, trams 12, 16, 17, direction Moillesulaz

Translator, Apr 12, 2011 @ 21:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Payot at Rue Chantepoulet.

Payot at Rue Chantepoulet.

eva77, Apr 12, 2011 @ 21:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hi - if you want new books in english, you have the choice of Payot as previous suggested, FNAC at Rive or the english bookshop on Avenue Carl-Vogt near Plainpalais.

Secondhand english books are available for sale at the International School of Geneva LGB campus for 1chf for kids books, 2chf for adults on Wednesday mornings from 9ish-1pm or Friday afternoon.  You'll find the book room in the primary school basement, ask for directions when you get to the campus if you don't know it.

Hi - if you want new books in english, you have the choice of Payot as previous suggested, FNAC at Rive or the english bookshop on Avenue Carl-Vogt near Plainpalais.

Secondhand english books are available for sale at the International School of Geneva LGB campus for 1chf for kids books, 2chf for adults on Wednesday mornings from 9ish-1pm or Friday afternoon.  You'll find the book room in the primary school basement, ask for directions when you get to the campus if you don't know it.

vivianholdin, Apr 12, 2011 @ 22:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

The Library in English, 2 rue de Monthoux (near quai du Mont-Blanc) is having a second-hand book sale on 6 and 7 May.  They always have a great selection of books for all ages and all tastes.  Check their website for further info.

There’s also the Red Cross ‘cultural’ library on rue de Carouge where you will find children’s books in several languages.  It’s next door to the Salle communale de Plainpalais.  And right across the street from there you’ll find ‘Les Recyclables’ – second-hand books for all ages in French, German, English and several other languages.  See their website for opening hours.

In the passage alongside ‘Les Recyclabes’, Caritas has a basement outlet, again lots of books in several languages for all age-groups and very cheap.

The English-language bookshop already mentioned is called ‘OfftheShelf’.  They have a good selection of new books.  See website for details.

Only the other day I was told that the Centre social protestant now has a major second-hand book outlet in Meyrin, but I don’t know where it is exactly, so try their website.

Keep a look out for the English-language churches’ fairs and sales.  ‘Holy Trinity’ had one last Saturday with loads of real bargains.  ‘John XXIII Spiritual Centre’ in Petit-Saconnex holds a summer fête in June and always has plenty of books and other stuff for children.

Once you know where to look, there’s plenty of material on offer at much lower prices than the flea market.

Happy hunting!   Ritchie

The Library in English, 2 rue de Monthoux (near quai du Mont-Blanc) is having a second-hand book sale on 6 and 7 May.  They always have a great selection of books for all ages and all tastes.  Check their website for further info.

There’s also the Red Cross ‘cultural’ library on rue de Carouge where you will find children’s books in several languages.  It’s next door to the Salle communale de Plainpalais.  And right across the street from there you’ll find ‘Les Recyclables’ – second-hand books for all ages in French, German, English and several other languages.  See their website for opening hours.

In the passage alongside ‘Les Recyclabes’, Caritas has a basement outlet, again lots of books in several languages for all age-groups and very cheap.

The English-language bookshop already mentioned is called ‘OfftheShelf’.  They have a good selection of new books.  See website for details.

Only the other day I was told that the Centre social protestant now has a major second-hand book outlet in Meyrin, but I don’t know where it is exactly, so try their website.

Keep a look out for the English-language churches’ fairs and sales.  ‘Holy Trinity’ had one last Saturday with loads of real bargains.  ‘John XXIII Spiritual Centre’ in Petit-Saconnex holds a summer fête in June and always has plenty of books and other stuff for children.

Once you know where to look, there’s plenty of material on offer at much lower prices than the flea market.

Happy hunting!   Ritchie

Ritchie, Apr 12, 2011 @ 23:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Thanks everybody for the information. That really helps.

Regards - Ramesh

Thanks everybody for the information. That really helps.

Regards - Ramesh

R T, Apr 13, 2011 @ 20:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Well I buy a lot of books and I find the cheapest option is www.play.com. they have most books you will ever want, at a discount to bookshop prices, and best of all even if you order just one book, they will deliver it for free to Switzerland.

happy days :-)

Well I buy a lot of books and I find the cheapest option is www.play.com. they have most books you will ever want, at a discount to bookshop prices, and best of all even if you order just one book, they will deliver it for free to Switzerland.

happy days :-)

brucelawson, Apr 14, 2011 @ 01:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Bruce,

www.play.com comes up as a bad link.  Could you re-post please?

Bruce,

www.play.com comes up as a bad link.  Could you re-post please?

dantan, Apr 14, 2011 @ 07:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

I can give you a few ones if you wish.

I can give you a few ones if you wish.

tt07099, Apr 14, 2011 @ 12:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Well it's not too hard...

open up a new browser window and type:

www.play.com

Well it's not too hard...

open up a new browser window and type:

www.play.com

brucelawson, Apr 14, 2011 @ 17:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

this seems to be a good link. Thanks for sharing the information.

this seems to be a good link. Thanks for sharing the information.

R T, Apr 14, 2011 @ 22:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the offer.

My son is 20 months old now. Just looking for those kind of books. Would you have any suitable for him? Would you sell those to me?

Regards,

Ramesh

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the offer.

My son is 20 months old now. Just looking for those kind of books. Would you have any suitable for him? Would you sell those to me?

Regards,

Ramesh

R T, Apr 14, 2011 @ 22:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Having just been thanked for my post (No. 4), I thought a little update might come in handy.

First, and sadly, “Off the Shelf” has closed – ‘cos of online competition.

Also, the John XXIII Spiritual Centre has moved from Petit-Saconnex to rue de Montbrillant, near UNHCR but on the opposite side of the road.

The other outlets I mentioned are still in business and have plenty to offer.  Also, keep an eye out for church fairs and the like for books (plus CDs and videos)

in many languages.

Meanwhile, très bonne lecture!

R.

Having just been thanked for my post (No. 4), I thought a little update might come in handy.

First, and sadly, “Off the Shelf” has closed – ‘cos of online competition.

Also, the John XXIII Spiritual Centre has moved from Petit-Saconnex to rue de Montbrillant, near UNHCR but on the opposite side of the road.

The other outlets I mentioned are still in business and have plenty to offer.  Also, keep an eye out for church fairs and the like for books (plus CDs and videos)

in many languages.

Meanwhile, très bonne lecture!

R.

Ritchie, May 19, 2017 @ 23:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
12 Replies | 2392 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form