Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Exchange a US drivers license for a Swiss license?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Exchange a US drivers license for a Swiss license?

Dear Americans!

I have been told that in order to get a Swiss driver's license, I will need to surrender my American license. A friend told me that the Swiss government will call my state and tell them to cancel my US license. Effectively, that my American license will be voided. Is this true? I really dont want to lose my US license (I still travel to the US and its also my second form of ID), but ifs thats the only way to driver in Switzerland....

Was the process easy to exchange? Just a paperwork process, or an actual test? And would it be possible to get back my US license once I have my Swiss license?

Your experiences would be helpful! Thanks!

The text you are quoting:

Dear Americans!

I have been told that in order to get a Swiss driver's license, I will need to surrender my American license. A friend told me that the Swiss government will call my state and tell them to cancel my US license. Effectively, that my American license will be voided. Is this true? I really dont want to lose my US license (I still travel to the US and its also my second form of ID), but ifs thats the only way to driver in Switzerland....

Was the process easy to exchange? Just a paperwork process, or an actual test? And would it be possible to get back my US license once I have my Swiss license?

Your experiences would be helpful! Thanks!

Rachel MFeb 2, 2015 @ 15:13
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

23 Replies | 5378 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Exchange a US drivers license for a Swiss license?
Post 1

that is very interesting and doenst make sense at all. I would like to know more about this as well. 

I will also post here if I can find a clear answer for this. 

Thanks

that is very interesting and doenst make sense at all. I would like to know more about this as well. 

I will also post here if I can find a clear answer for this. 

Thanks

Nedim Tokman, Feb 2, 2015 @ 15:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

I did not need to Give them my US drivers licence. They just marked my licence that its not valid in Switerland. As most people in the USA user there Drivers licences as Identification, its like Carte Identitee. Call them again and ask for someone speaking english, and be polite and thank them for the help.

http://ge.ch/vehicules/permis-de-conduire-et-permis-deleve/echange-dun-permis-de-conduire-etranger

http://www.ville-geneve.ch/plan-ville/autres-administrations/office-cantonal-automobiles-navigation/

Service cantonal des véhicules
Route de Veyrier 86
1227 Carouge
T. +41 22 388 30 30
Heures d'ouverture
lu-ve 7h30-16h00
Bus
Lignes N° 11 et 21
Arrêt "Val d'Arve"

I did not need to Give them my US drivers licence. They just marked my licence that its not valid in Switerland. As most people in the USA user there Drivers licences as Identification, its like Carte Identitee. Call them again and ask for someone speaking english, and be polite and thank them for the help.

http://ge.ch/vehicules/permis-de-conduire-et-permis-deleve/echange-dun-permis-de-conduire-etranger

http://www.ville-geneve.ch/plan-ville/autres-administrations/office-cantonal-automobiles-navigation/

Service cantonal des véhicules
Route de Veyrier 86
1227 Carouge
T. +41 22 388 30 30
Heures d'ouverture
lu-ve 7h30-16h00
Bus
Lignes N° 11 et 21
Arrêt "Val d'Arve"

Dave G, Feb 2, 2015 @ 16:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hi Rachel,

I too did not have to give up my drivers license when I got my Swiss one.
The whole process was easy and took about 20 minutes.

And I doubt the Swiss govt. will call your state and tell them to void your US license.  Even if they try, good luck to them with getting someone at the DMV to answer the phone :-)

I suggest you follow Dave's advice and give the Service Cantonal de Vehicules a call to find out the details.

Oded

Hi Rachel,

I too did not have to give up my drivers license when I got my Swiss one.
The whole process was easy and took about 20 minutes.

And I doubt the Swiss govt. will call your state and tell them to void your US license.  Even if they try, good luck to them with getting someone at the DMV to answer the phone :-)

I suggest you follow Dave's advice and give the Service Cantonal de Vehicules a call to find out the details.

Oded

SiteAdmin Oded, Feb 2, 2015 @ 22:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hello Rachel,

You just have to tell to the authority at the moment of driving license exchange that you need your US license and want to keep it. They make a copy for their purposes, put a sticker "Not valid in CH" on it and give it back to you. I did the same with my ukrainian driving license and it worked without any problem.

Good luck!

Hello Rachel,

You just have to tell to the authority at the moment of driving license exchange that you need your US license and want to keep it. They make a copy for their purposes, put a sticker "Not valid in CH" on it and give it back to you. I did the same with my ukrainian driving license and it worked without any problem.

Good luck!

Anna P, Feb 2, 2015 @ 22:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hi Rachel,

It's probably also useful to know that they could try to give you a provisional license, depending on when the last time you renewed your U.S. license. Because ours are renewed every 5 (10?) years, if you just turned 31, for example, it could look to them as though you have only been driving for a year. If you have a copy or some documentation of the original time you were granted a license, it may help you to get one that reflects that you are an experienced driver.

The process actually is easy, when you go to the Service Cantonal. Go in, then to the left where there are a number of queues, as well as a carousel of papers. Select and fill out the correct paper, then go to the line closest to the door (most of the clerks have their back to the parking lot). Bring a passport photo.

After that, you'll wait in line again at the Caisse to pay... and then you're done. My memory says it was 100-150CHF - which cannot be paid by credit card.

My state actually voided my license when I canceled my vehicle registration (so I didn't have to pay personal property tax). You can drive any time you're in the U.S. with a Swiss license, even if they do make you give up your U.S. one (which they won't).

Have fun!

Hi Rachel,

It's probably also useful to know that they could try to give you a provisional license, depending on when the last time you renewed your U.S. license. Because ours are renewed every 5 (10?) years, if you just turned 31, for example, it could look to them as though you have only been driving for a year. If you have a copy or some documentation of the original time you were granted a license, it may help you to get one that reflects that you are an experienced driver.

The process actually is easy, when you go to the Service Cantonal. Go in, then to the left where there are a number of queues, as well as a carousel of papers. Select and fill out the correct paper, then go to the line closest to the door (most of the clerks have their back to the parking lot). Bring a passport photo.

After that, you'll wait in line again at the Caisse to pay... and then you're done. My memory says it was 100-150CHF - which cannot be paid by credit card.

My state actually voided my license when I canceled my vehicle registration (so I didn't have to pay personal property tax). You can drive any time you're in the U.S. with a Swiss license, even if they do make you give up your U.S. one (which they won't).

Have fun!

Catherine K, Feb 3, 2015 @ 11:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Thank you everyone for your comments & experiences! I'll go to the cantonal office and try. If I encounter any problems, I'll be sure to post it on here!

Thanks!

Thank you everyone for your comments & experiences! I'll go to the cantonal office and try. If I encounter any problems, I'll be sure to post it on here!

Thanks!

Rachel M, Feb 3, 2015 @ 11:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

One more pointer... Keeping (and renewing) a US license may establish whichever state the license is from as being your tax domicile, from the perspective of said state.  California and New York are especially notorious for going after expats who don't file and pay state income taxes while abroad.  As far as you're concerned, you don't live there any longer.  The state will see it differently depending on the amount of time spent visiting, property ownership, property leases, vehicles registered in your name, voter registration, location of bank accounts, driver licenses, etc.  If you're from Alaska, Texas, Florida or the two other states with no state income tax (I forget which), you're fine.  Otherwise, be careful hanging on to that US license.

One more pointer... Keeping (and renewing) a US license may establish whichever state the license is from as being your tax domicile, from the perspective of said state.  California and New York are especially notorious for going after expats who don't file and pay state income taxes while abroad.  As far as you're concerned, you don't live there any longer.  The state will see it differently depending on the amount of time spent visiting, property ownership, property leases, vehicles registered in your name, voter registration, location of bank accounts, driver licenses, etc.  If you're from Alaska, Texas, Florida or the two other states with no state income tax (I forget which), you're fine.  Otherwise, be careful hanging on to that US license.

richardm, Feb 21, 2015 @ 18:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Quick update: I got my license last week without a problem. I just needed to 1) fill the application, 2) passport photo, 3) passport & swiss permit, 4) complete the vision exam (went to Visilab, 20chf). It was surprisingly easy and I got to keep my American license. So everything is good! Many thanks for all your help and comments!  

Quick update: I got my license last week without a problem. I just needed to 1) fill the application, 2) passport photo, 3) passport & swiss permit, 4) complete the vision exam (went to Visilab, 20chf). It was surprisingly easy and I got to keep my American license. So everything is good! Many thanks for all your help and comments!  

Rachel M, Feb 22, 2015 @ 16:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Feb 22, 15 16:24

Always cool when someone reports back.  Next person now has a complete guide. 

Always cool when someone reports back.  Next person now has a complete guide. 

Ray C, Feb 23, 2015 @ 02:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Glad to know this was completed with no issues for anyone.

FYI: I just got my license exchanged this morning but it wasn't as easy as the rest.

Biggest cause being that I was initially rejected due to my US license being too "new" (I renewed it last year prior to moving). So they requested I provide them documentation of when I had gotten my first driving license, or prove that I've been driving over 3 years.

Your experience may vary, but I went back home and searched through all my stuff. Luckily I had an expired license from another US State I used to live at and they accepted it.

Overall a decent process that should take no more than 30 min with all the right docs. 150 CHF (either cash or MAESTRO)

I guess surly workers at a DMV are a universal thing though.

P.S - They don't speak english.

Glad to know this was completed with no issues for anyone.

FYI: I just got my license exchanged this morning but it wasn't as easy as the rest.

Biggest cause being that I was initially rejected due to my US license being too "new" (I renewed it last year prior to moving). So they requested I provide them documentation of when I had gotten my first driving license, or prove that I've been driving over 3 years.

Your experience may vary, but I went back home and searched through all my stuff. Luckily I had an expired license from another US State I used to live at and they accepted it.

Overall a decent process that should take no more than 30 min with all the right docs. 150 CHF (either cash or MAESTRO)

I guess surly workers at a DMV are a universal thing though.

P.S - They don't speak english.

CH K, Feb 24, 2015 @ 11:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

CH Kim - I actually did address the "new" license in my comments. In my case, they just decided to believe me. But it's an important thing to know when preparing for a trip to the Bureau des Autos - I would have contacted my home state beforehand if I knew.

P.S. Not speaking English is fair. It's not an official language. (But I do understand that it's nice of them to speak English to help out expats.) At the US DMV, they speak only English. 

CH Kim - I actually did address the "new" license in my comments. In my case, they just decided to believe me. But it's an important thing to know when preparing for a trip to the Bureau des Autos - I would have contacted my home state beforehand if I knew.

P.S. Not speaking English is fair. It's not an official language. (But I do understand that it's nice of them to speak English to help out expats.) At the US DMV, they speak only English. 

Catherine K, Feb 24, 2015 @ 11:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

@Catherine K - Well consider yourself lucky for getting a worker that understood the situation. Mine refused. Maybe I just don't look of age enough to get a pass? I'll take that.

My note about them not speaking English isn't a judgement on the workers/office (this board has gone down that road too many times before). But as a tip to anyone that doesn't speak French, to be prepared (as you said).

The material out there doesn't explicitly state that a license must prove driving experience. So hopefully someone in the future will be aware of this thanks to this thread.

By the way: most US DMV's provide multiple language options, you probably just never needed to use them so you weren't aware of this.

@Catherine K - Well consider yourself lucky for getting a worker that understood the situation. Mine refused. Maybe I just don't look of age enough to get a pass? I'll take that.

My note about them not speaking English isn't a judgement on the workers/office (this board has gone down that road too many times before). But as a tip to anyone that doesn't speak French, to be prepared (as you said).

The material out there doesn't explicitly state that a license must prove driving experience. So hopefully someone in the future will be aware of this thanks to this thread.

By the way: most US DMV's provide multiple language options, you probably just never needed to use them so you weren't aware of this.

CH K, Feb 24, 2015 @ 13:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

This old thread is very useful. I'm wondering if it's possible to apply while my Carte de légitimation is still pending. I applied last week, and they said it could take a month or more. And unfortunately, my New York drivers license expires this coming Monday.

If not, would they exchange a recently expired NY license?

This old thread is very useful. I'm wondering if it's possible to apply while my Carte de légitimation is still pending. I applied last week, and they said it could take a month or more. And unfortunately, my New York drivers license expires this coming Monday.

Christopher Jung, Jan 7, 2016 @ 17:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

Does your New York license have an expiration date? My Virginia license did not (though the state actually revoked its validity when I moved out of state), so I exchanged it. But I think you need one that is currently valid... and then, yes, it can be exchanged.

I assume, though, that you'll need to be a valid resident of Switzerland in order to acquire any legal documents like a driver license. Without the carte, it's unlikely they'll issue one. You *can* call the office to verify.

Does your New York license have an expiration date? My Virginia license did not (though the state actually revoked its validity when I moved out of state), so I exchanged it. But I think you need one that is currently valid... and then, yes, it can be exchanged.

I assume, though, that you'll need to be a valid resident of Switzerland in order to acquire any legal documents like a driver license. Without the carte, it's unlikely they'll issue one. You *can* call the office to verify.

Catherine K, Jan 7, 2016 @ 18:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

Jan 7, 16 17:17

The chances that you will be able to exchange an expired licence are very slim, so I would say renew your NY licence without further delay.

Better to spend a few dollars and be able to drive here than to be sorry for months to come.

The chances that you will be able to exchange an expired licence are very slim, so I would say renew your NY licence without further delay.

Better to spend a few dollars and be able to drive here than to be sorry for months to come.

Ritchie, Jan 7, 2016 @ 19:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

Another point: if you return to the US with an expired US license, you will most likely be required to re-take the driving tests (both performance and written).  Having a valid Swiss license may not get you out of this.  

TL;DR: Keep your US license current.

Another point: if you return to the US with an expired US license, you will most likely be required to re-take the driving tests (both performance and written).  Having a valid Swiss license may not get you out of this.  

TL;DR: Keep your US license current.

richardm, Jan 8, 2016 @ 01:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

Thanks for the advice all. Unfortunately, government bureaucracies are not accomodating for people who travel continuously. I always try to keep my drivers licence current in the US, but the last time I was in America for more than a day was April. The last time I was in New York was 4+ years ago.

I also have a current Liberian drivers licence, though I have no expectation that Switzerland will recognize that. I'll try to get the eye exam done today and go on Monday to plead my case (in very poor French). Fun times :)

Thanks for the advice all. Unfortunately, government bureaucracies are not accomodating for people who travel continuously. I always try to keep my drivers licence current in the US, but the last time I was in America for more than a day was April. The last time I was in New York was 4+ years ago.

I also have a current Liberian drivers licence, though I have no expectation that Switzerland will recognize that. I'll try to get the eye exam done today and go on Monday to plead my case (in very poor French). Fun times :)

Christopher Jung, Jan 8, 2016 @ 10:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

Jan 8, 16 10:06

With a bit of luck, there’ll be someone who can discuss with you in English.  They often have “customers” who don’t speak French.

Best, R.

With a bit of luck, there’ll be someone who can discuss with you in English.  They often have “customers” who don’t speak French.

Best, R.

Ritchie, Jan 8, 2016 @ 10:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

Hi!

I also have a question regarding Foreign License.  Is it still possible to change my Philippine License  to Suisse License even if I'm already staying here for almost 2 years?  Old threads stated that it was a smooth transaction for them, i wanna know if qualifications are different now. 

THANKS!

Hi!

I also have a question regarding Foreign License.  Is it still possible to change my Philippine License  to Suisse License even if I'm already staying here for almost 2 years?  Old threads stated that it was a smooth transaction for them, i wanna know if qualifications are different now. 

THANKS!

Giselle T, Apr 29, 2016 @ 11:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

Giselle, which canton?  VD seems to bend the rules quite a bit, based on the stories I've heard. Don't know about GE.

Giselle, which canton?  VD seems to bend the rules quite a bit, based on the stories I've heard. Don't know about GE.

richardm, Apr 29, 2016 @ 18:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

Apr 29, 16 18:26

We are moving to Gland, VD soon.  i assume, I should get my license there.

We are moving to Gland, VD soon.  i assume, I should get my license there.

Giselle T, Apr 30, 2016 @ 21:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22

Better check first, because you may  have to go to Lausanne.

Better check first, because you may  have to go to Lausanne.

Ritchie, Apr 30, 2016 @ 23:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 23

For Canton Vaud this link takes you to the requirements for exchanging a drivers license http://www.vd.ch/themes/mobilite/automobile/permis-de-conduire/echange-permis-etrangers/documents-a-fournir/

Note that if your license does not have the date that you passed your test you need a certificate from your country's licensing department. I requested and recieved one from the state of Washington via email and will know soon if that is sufficient. I'll update this post when I have more info.

For Canton Vaud this link takes you to the requirements for exchanging a drivers license http://www.vd.ch/themes/mobilite/automobile/permis-de-conduire/echange-permis-etrangers/documents-a-fournir/

Note that if your license does not have the date that you passed your test you need a certificate from your country's licensing department. I requested and recieved one from the state of Washington via email and will know soon if that is sufficient. I'll update this post when I have more info.

Kurt A, Jun 14, 2017 @ 13:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
23 Replies | 5378 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form