Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Experienced sailors wanted

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Experienced sailors wanted

Mmmm - not sure if the title of the post might get some unwanted replies......

In short, I've just bought a (sail) boat. They say that the only time you're happy with a boat is the day you buy it and the day you sell it.  

I never intended to buy one and an option came up which piqued my middle age crisis self.  The only problem, shipmates, is that it is many years (and kilos) since I last sailed.  So, i'm looking for people who are knowledgeable sailors who can help put me on the right tack, ensure i don't make any gaffs an dallow a bit of leeway to ensure I am not left adrift or brought up sort with my sailing knowledge - if you catch my drift.

Bascially, are there any sailors out there that want free sailing on Lac Leman in exchange for showing me how to sail?

The boat has been laid up over wiinter and she needs a good tidying up and I'll be putting her back in the water over the next few months.  The boat is an Edel2 built in 1982. 

Arrrrghhhhhh!

The text you are quoting:

Mmmm - not sure if the title of the post might get some unwanted replies......

In short, I've just bought a (sail) boat. They say that the only time you're happy with a boat is the day you buy it and the day you sell it.  

I never intended to buy one and an option came up which piqued my middle age crisis self.  The only problem, shipmates, is that it is many years (and kilos) since I last sailed.  So, i'm looking for people who are knowledgeable sailors who can help put me on the right tack, ensure i don't make any gaffs an dallow a bit of leeway to ensure I am not left adrift or brought up sort with my sailing knowledge - if you catch my drift.

Bascially, are there any sailors out there that want free sailing on Lac Leman in exchange for showing me how to sail?

The boat has been laid up over wiinter and she needs a good tidying up and I'll be putting her back in the water over the next few months.  The boat is an Edel2 built in 1982. 

Arrrrghhhhhh!

Nick ManfieldMar 27, 2015 @ 10:23
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

9 Replies | 885 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Experienced sailors wanted
Post 1

What a let down! I saw the post's title and went into the post expecting to see some ad about kinky sex stuff in sailot suits, but instead learned you really need real sailors to sail...(-;

What a let down! I saw the post's title and went into the post expecting to see some ad about kinky sex stuff in sailot suits, but instead learned you really need real sailors to sail...(-;

Nir Ofek, Mar 27, 2015 @ 12:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

This isn't what you had in mind, is it Nick?

Nir Ofek, Mar 27, 2015 @ 12:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

I'm up for joining and can share some tips - I have my RYA Coastal Skipper and have done lots of Yacht Sailing. Please post on the Glocals Sailing Group as well, there are plenty of experienced people looking for boats to join. (I'm an admin and can send this message out all group members). Where is the boat moored?

I'm up for joining and can share some tips - I have my RYA Coastal Skipper and have done lots of Yacht Sailing. Please post on the Glocals Sailing Group as well, there are plenty of experienced people looking for boats to join. (I'm an admin and can send this message out all group members). Where is the boat moored?

Greg P, Mar 27, 2015 @ 13:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Mar 27, 15 12:31

You wish Nir ;-)

You wish Nir ;-)

Oonagh, Mar 27, 2015 @ 13:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Mar 27, 15 12:31

How did you get hold of a picture of the Mrs M.?

Nick Manfield, Mar 27, 2015 @ 14:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Mar 27, 15 14:39

Cos I read in Fortune that guys with boats get the girl...(-;

Cos I read in Fortune that guys with boats get the girl...(-;

Nir Ofek, Mar 27, 2015 @ 14:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Hi Greg,

err. - welcome aboard.  though Nir's suggestion was very welcome i think i might be a bit distracted.  You sound like just the sort of person that would suit.  My only concern would appear to be a lack of a big bushy beard and pipe like proper sailors have.

Honestly, I bought the boat 24 hours ago.  it is currently mored in the UN port / beach by the WTO in Geneva. The previous owner basically bought the boat for the mooring that came with it. The boat needs a good clean out but seems sound and the motor is pretty much brand new.

The advantage of such a boat is that you can launch it off a trailer, meaning that i can keep it in my driveway in Lancy and float it off a slipway pretty much wherever takes my fancy.  Needless to say, I now have to buy the trailer, but i think I might be in luck on that score and will try and buy one this weekend.

I don't know if you can PM on Glocals but if possible give me your number and I can give you a bell.  Please don't use morse code or semaphore.

Happy for you to press gang members from the sailing group,

Best, Nick

Hi Greg,

err. - welcome aboard.  though Nir's suggestion was very welcome i think i might be a bit distracted.  You sound like just the sort of person that would suit.  My only concern would appear to be a lack of a big bushy beard and pipe like proper sailors have.

Honestly, I bought the boat 24 hours ago.  it is currently mored in the UN port / beach by the WTO in Geneva. The previous owner basically bought the boat for the mooring that came with it. The boat needs a good clean out but seems sound and the motor is pretty much brand new.

The advantage of such a boat is that you can launch it off a trailer, meaning that i can keep it in my driveway in Lancy and float it off a slipway pretty much wherever takes my fancy.  Needless to say, I now have to buy the trailer, but i think I might be in luck on that score and will try and buy one this weekend.

I don't know if you can PM on Glocals but if possible give me your number and I can give you a bell.  Please don't use morse code or semaphore.

Happy for you to press gang members from the sailing group,

Best, Nick

Nick Manfield, Mar 27, 2015 @ 14:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

interesting.. :)

interesting.. :)

Andrea P, Apr 8, 2015 @ 20:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

"They say that the only time you're happy with a boat is the day you buy it and the day you sell it."

One of life's few absolute truths. Let me know when you are miserable enough and want to go through the second moment of happiness experienced by boat owners and I will be happy to take it from you  Smile.

Seriously, though, enjoy every minute of it, and watch out, Mrs M ! Nir is right about guys with boats....

Just a word of caution: think about what the last owner found as the highest priority. Finding a mooring around here is very hard, and the waiting lists are at least 5 years. It is great if you can make do by trailering the boat around, but it is a lot more of a hassle than I expected. I bought a trailerable boat in 2011 and after the first summer, I could not wait until I found a mooring.

Also, a used boat (1982..) is going to require a lot of frequent repair work.

It starts as a great remedy for middle age crisis, but it quickly ends up making it more accute, as your stamina and patience gets constantly tested. But, like other experiences in life, those few glorious moments on the lake, feeling one with the wind, the sails, the hull, the water, make the blood, tears and constant stream of swiss francs all worth it.

"They say that the only time you're happy with a boat is the day you buy it and the day you sell it."

One of life's few absolute truths. Let me know when you are miserable enough and want to go through the second moment of happiness experienced by boat owners and I will be happy to take it from you  Smile.

Seriously, though, enjoy every minute of it, and watch out, Mrs M ! Nir is right about guys with boats....

Just a word of caution: think about what the last owner found as the highest priority. Finding a mooring around here is very hard, and the waiting lists are at least 5 years. It is great if you can make do by trailering the boat around, but it is a lot more of a hassle than I expected. I bought a trailerable boat in 2011 and after the first summer, I could not wait until I found a mooring.

Also, a used boat (1982..) is going to require a lot of frequent repair work.

It starts as a great remedy for middle age crisis, but it quickly ends up making it more accute, as your stamina and patience gets constantly tested. But, like other experiences in life, those few glorious moments on the lake, feeling one with the wind, the sails, the hull, the water, make the blood, tears and constant stream of swiss francs all worth it.

JR M, Apr 9, 2015 @ 12:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
9 Replies | 885 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form