Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Family moving to Geneva

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Family moving to Geneva

Hi everyone, 

My husband is being transferred with work to geneva in January and I will be joining him with our daughter in March. We are flexible on living location, and don't necessarily need to live centrally- looking for ideally 3 bedrooms, suburbs, nice neighbourhood with local amenities. Any recommendations? Up to 30 minute commute into geneva. 

I am also expecting our second child in May - have any expats got experience of giving birth in Geneva and is there a network of expat families where I can get to know other mums? 

Thanks, 

Sarah

The text you are quoting:

Hi everyone, 

My husband is being transferred with work to geneva in January and I will be joining him with our daughter in March. We are flexible on living location, and don't necessarily need to live centrally- looking for ideally 3 bedrooms, suburbs, nice neighbourhood with local amenities. Any recommendations? Up to 30 minute commute into geneva. 

I am also expecting our second child in May - have any expats got experience of giving birth in Geneva and is there a network of expat families where I can get to know other mums? 

Thanks, 

Sarah

Sarah GOct 4, 2015 @ 20:33
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

4 Replies | 947 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Family moving to Geneva
Post 1

Welcome to glocals and fairly soon to the Geneva area.

For accommodation, take a look at the Classifieds to find offers and also to advertise yourself.

And then there are the “Groups”where you’ll find plenty of members who have experience d moving and living here, finding medical and dental care, giving birth … you name it, many people on this site have been there.

So, all the best, and happy surfing.

R.

Welcome to glocals and fairly soon to the Geneva area.

For accommodation, take a look at the Classifieds to find offers and also to advertise yourself.

And then there are the “Groups”where you’ll find plenty of members who have experience d moving and living here, finding medical and dental care, giving birth … you name it, many people on this site have been there.

So, all the best, and happy surfing.

R.

Ritchie, Oct 4, 2015 @ 21:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Welcome to Geneva!

for the renting look this web site

anibis.ch

petitesaninces.ch

ghi.ch

good luck!

Welcome to Geneva!

for the renting look this web site

anibis.ch

petitesaninces.ch

ghi.ch

good luck!

Elena S, Oct 5, 2015 @ 07:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

The whole stretch between Geneva and Nyon is where i would recommend .. Basic rule is close to Geneva and close to the lake is the highest cost. Move further from either one and price drops .. So detached place with a garden in a little village half way up the mountain will could cost the same as a small appartment with lake view nearer town. You just need to find the balance. 

Nyon has a huge expat community with plenty of baby/toddler groups.. Lots of little villages around there. That's where we are with our school 200m away and local shop and auberge etc.. Views over the lake and Mt Blanc and 15mins train into Geneva. 

Finding a place is easier when you are here, by far.. The swiss love signatures and paperwork, you are realistically not going to secure a place from abroad. So hopefully you get temporary accomodation and a relocation agent provided.

The whole stretch between Geneva and Nyon is where i would recommend .. Basic rule is close to Geneva and close to the lake is the highest cost. Move further from either one and price drops .. So detached place with a garden in a little village half way up the mountain will could cost the same as a small appartment with lake view nearer town. You just need to find the balance. 

Nyon has a huge expat community with plenty of baby/toddler groups.. Lots of little villages around there. That's where we are with our school 200m away and local shop and auberge etc.. Views over the lake and Mt Blanc and 15mins train into Geneva. 

Finding a place is easier when you are here, by far.. The swiss love signatures and paperwork, you are realistically not going to secure a place from abroad. So hopefully you get temporary accomodation and a relocation agent provided.

John H, Oct 7, 2015 @ 08:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

There are lots of expats having babies here, and several very good hospitals. Les Grangettes and Beaulieu for example. As Ritchie has said, the groups are full of info and there is also Meetup.com which has many options for mama's groups.

Apartment hunting can be a nightmare. It might be worth seeing if your husbands company will help out with a relocation agent.

There are lots of expats having babies here, and several very good hospitals. Les Grangettes and Beaulieu for example. As Ritchie has said, the groups are full of info and there is also Meetup.com which has many options for mama's groups.

Apartment hunting can be a nightmare. It might be worth seeing if your husbands company will help out with a relocation agent.

bearded09, Oct 7, 2015 @ 10:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
4 Replies | 947 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form