Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Finding a Flat!

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Finding a Flat!

Hello everyone! I've been reading quite a bit and have already learned a lot, but I'm hoping you nice folks can help me out. I'm American, my husband is a Polish citizen and we live in Poland. He has recently accepted work in the Nyon area, starting from November 1st. Unfortunately his current engagements require him to stay here until mid-October at the earliest, so he'll have very little time to get settled before starting his new job. Since apartment hunting in Switzerland is notoriously difficult and I work from home, we thought it would make good sense for me to arrive in Switzerland a month or two ahead of schedule to find us a permanent place.

I speak decent French, so I have that in my favor, but everything else seems like an uphill battle. I know based on forum posts and websites that I'll be required to produce a stack of documents with each application, but as an American living in Poland with no Swiss permit or Swiss documentation of any kind, I'm not sure where to begin. We can easily provide copies of our passports, his EU ID, my Polish residence permit, and a letter of intent from his future employer, but beyond that I'm not sure what will be accepted. Should we just scramble for anything that might be helpful, like statements from foreign bank accounts or letters from past Polish employers? Will I be so far down anyone's list of acceptable tenants that it's not even worth trying? I'd really appreciate your experiences and advice, thanks so much!

The text you are quoting:

Hello everyone! I've been reading quite a bit and have already learned a lot, but I'm hoping you nice folks can help me out. I'm American, my husband is a Polish citizen and we live in Poland. He has recently accepted work in the Nyon area, starting from November 1st. Unfortunately his current engagements require him to stay here until mid-October at the earliest, so he'll have very little time to get settled before starting his new job. Since apartment hunting in Switzerland is notoriously difficult and I work from home, we thought it would make good sense for me to arrive in Switzerland a month or two ahead of schedule to find us a permanent place.

I speak decent French, so I have that in my favor, but everything else seems like an uphill battle. I know based on forum posts and websites that I'll be required to produce a stack of documents with each application, but as an American living in Poland with no Swiss permit or Swiss documentation of any kind, I'm not sure where to begin. We can easily provide copies of our passports, his EU ID, my Polish residence permit, and a letter of intent from his future employer, but beyond that I'm not sure what will be accepted. Should we just scramble for anything that might be helpful, like statements from foreign bank accounts or letters from past Polish employers? Will I be so far down anyone's list of acceptable tenants that it's not even worth trying? I'd really appreciate your experiences and advice, thanks so much!

Kelcey CJul 4, 2015 @ 14:11
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

3 Replies | 1285 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Finding a Flat!
Post 1
I thought maybe I could pose a few more specific questions: is it worth including pay stubs from our current jobs in Poland that we'll be leaving to begin work in Switzerland, or will proof of future salaries on Swiss employment contracts suffice? As for the 'attestation de non poursuite', should we get them from our current place of residence, or should I try to get a Swiss one immediately upon my arrival? Should everything be translated into French, or will some documents in English also be acceptable? Thanks in advance!

I thought maybe I could pose a few more specific questions: is it worth including pay stubs from our current jobs in Poland that we'll be leaving to begin work in Switzerland, or will proof of future salaries on Swiss employment contracts suffice? As for the 'attestation de non poursuite', should we get them from our current place of residence, or should I try to get a Swiss one immediately upon my arrival? Should everything be translated into French, or will some documents in English also be acceptable? Thanks in advance!

Kelcey C, Jul 5, 2015 @ 21:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hello Kelcey,

As for  your questions:

1- is it worth including pay stubs from our current jobs in Poland that we'll be leaving to begin work in Switzerland, or will proof of future salaries on Swiss employment contracts suffice?

Answer: I would say it depends on who your letting from. A 'traditional' Swiss letting agent is unlikely to accept such documentation and expect to see the 'pack' they request.

2- As for the 'attestation de non poursuite', should we get them from our current place of residence, or should I try to get a Swiss one immediately upon my arrival?

Answer: These can be requested online via the website of the Canton de Vaud to which Nyon belongs (http://www.vd.ch/fileadmin/user_upload/themes/economie_emploi/poursuites_faillites/D%C3%A9pliants/depliant-commande-extrait-registre-poursuites.pdf)

However, you will need to have an address (your husband could contact his future employer to ask if this can be sent to the office) and a copy of an identification document (passport is accepted). In any case you can always call the office de non-poursuites and ask them directly.

3- Should everything be translated into French, or will some documents in English also be acceptable?

Answer: My guess is that all documentation should be in French, but this is a guess.

A bit about my experience which I hope will be useful:

I was in the same situation when I 'landed' in geneva for a job. I gave myself a week to find a flat which was clearly insufficient.

I got a flat via glocals (very grateful to the people who set it up - thank you). You may find listings for rentals in classifieds on glocals. You may also wish to publish a listing in the section of the classifieds for expressing an interest in renting in Nyon.

Renting via glocals tends to be a little bit more flexible as whoever is letting understands the kind of constraints you are under. Having said that, there is a lot of competition which means landlords can be picky.

You can always try to negotiate additional amounts for the deposit as evidence of your cashflow. Always make sure these additional amounts are documented in any agreements you sign. 

I suggest you also contact your husband's future employer and ask them to put an add on their intranet (if they have that sort of infrastructure). You could also ask them if they would be able to recommend a couple of 'regies' (letting agents) they may know.

Beware of scams. Never pay to see a flat or pay 'deposits' prior to signing a letting agreement.

Hope this  helps.

Hello Kelcey,

As for  your questions:

1- is it worth including pay stubs from our current jobs in Poland that we'll be leaving to begin work in Switzerland, or will proof of future salaries on Swiss employment contracts suffice?

Answer: I would say it depends on who your letting from. A 'traditional' Swiss letting agent is unlikely to accept such documentation and expect to see the 'pack' they request.

2- As for the 'attestation de non poursuite', should we get them from our current place of residence, or should I try to get a Swiss one immediately upon my arrival?

Answer: These can be requested online via the website of the Canton de Vaud to which Nyon belongs (http://www.vd.ch/fileadmin/user_upload/themes/economie_emploi/poursuites_faillites/D%C3%A9pliants/depliant-commande-extrait-registre-poursuites.pdf)

However, you will need to have an address (your husband could contact his future employer to ask if this can be sent to the office) and a copy of an identification document (passport is accepted). In any case you can always call the office de non-poursuites and ask them directly.

3- Should everything be translated into French, or will some documents in English also be acceptable?

Answer: My guess is that all documentation should be in French, but this is a guess.

A bit about my experience which I hope will be useful:

I was in the same situation when I 'landed' in geneva for a job. I gave myself a week to find a flat which was clearly insufficient.

I got a flat via glocals (very grateful to the people who set it up - thank you). You may find listings for rentals in classifieds on glocals. You may also wish to publish a listing in the section of the classifieds for expressing an interest in renting in Nyon.

Renting via glocals tends to be a little bit more flexible as whoever is letting understands the kind of constraints you are under. Having said that, there is a lot of competition which means landlords can be picky.

You can always try to negotiate additional amounts for the deposit as evidence of your cashflow. Always make sure these additional amounts are documented in any agreements you sign. 

I suggest you also contact your husband's future employer and ask them to put an add on their intranet (if they have that sort of infrastructure). You could also ask them if they would be able to recommend a couple of 'regies' (letting agents) they may know.

Beware of scams. Never pay to see a flat or pay 'deposits' prior to signing a letting agreement.

Hope this  helps.

Catarina M, Jul 5, 2015 @ 21:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Thank you so much, very helpful information!

Thank you so much, very helpful information!

Kelcey C, Jul 5, 2015 @ 22:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
3 Replies | 1285 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form