Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Flat hunting Geneva/France

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Flat hunting Geneva/France

Hey guys,

I'm moving to Geneva with my wife and daughter at the beginning of  January and currently searching for a flat to rent. (I will be working at Petit Lancy.) 

I'm not familiar with the different areas of the city and I would like to hear your view about the pros and cons of the different areas (cost of rent, access to public transportation etc.). 

Also, I am also considering living in France and coming to Geneva to work every day. in such case, do you know which towns/cities in France are recommended and where can I find relevant ads (in English as I don't speak any French)

Thanks in advance for the help!

Yonathan

The text you are quoting:

Hey guys,

I'm moving to Geneva with my wife and daughter at the beginning of  January and currently searching for a flat to rent. (I will be working at Petit Lancy.) 

I'm not familiar with the different areas of the city and I would like to hear your view about the pros and cons of the different areas (cost of rent, access to public transportation etc.). 

Also, I am also considering living in France and coming to Geneva to work every day. in such case, do you know which towns/cities in France are recommended and where can I find relevant ads (in English as I don't speak any French)

Thanks in advance for the help!

Yonathan

Yonathan VolkowNov 24, 2010 @ 12:30
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

2 Replies | 1650 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Flat hunting Geneva/France
Post 1
Hello Yonathan and family! and Welcome to Geneva!

Life in Geneva is great... except when it comes to flat hunting... 
both in terms of availability and prices!
but... please do not be discouraged, we all went through and survived:-))

I collected some previous threads on this exciting subject that should give you a general picture as well as warnings on scams!!

For ads, the GLocals Classifieds is one very good starting point for English-only speakers and includes offers in neighbouring France towns.

Now... some good news!  You will find in Geneva a great English-speaking community... all ages, singles, families, etc.

For districts and prices... it seems to me that -apartments- in the areas close to the International Organizations [many UN organizations' headquarters], i.e. Petit-Sacconex, Grand-Sacconex... are the more expensive ones. And then, the further away you move away from the 'International' area, the better it gets.

Otherwise, public transport in Geneva is excellent as it works in perfect Swiss style.

To be considered... Geneva is such a small city (I think some 15 km from one end to the other) that in the end -it might be the choice of your daughter's school- or -that of a nice environment for daily life- that will determine your choice of your new home.

Neighbouring towns on the France side are quite pleasant, and soooo close to Geneva that they feel like part of it, in particular Ferney-Voltaire -connected by Geneva public transport buses- is a favourite location of probably half of the Geneva expats.

Wish you Good luck with your search!

General Forum

expats, how did you find your appartment?

Finding an appartment in Geneva part 482

Urgent: Looking for someone to help me to find an apartment

Finding a decent flat 

Agent to help find Apartment?

Were you House Scammed? Call me!

Initial accomodation upon arriving in Geneva - what did you do?

Geneva Forum
Hello Yonathan and family! and Welcome to Geneva!

Life in Geneva is great... except when it comes to flat hunting... 
both in terms of availability and prices!
but... please do not be discouraged, we all went through and survived:-))

I collected some previous threads on this exciting subject that should give you a general picture as well as warnings on scams!!

For ads, the GLocals Classifieds is one very good starting point for English-only speakers and includes offers in neighbouring France towns.

Now... some good news!  You will find in Geneva a great English-speaking community... all ages, singles, families, etc.

For districts and prices... it seems to me that -apartments- in the areas close to the International Organizations [many UN organizations' headquarters], i.e. Petit-Sacconex, Grand-Sacconex... are the more expensive ones. And then, the further away you move away from the 'International' area, the better it gets.

Otherwise, public transport in Geneva is excellent as it works in perfect Swiss style.

To be considered... Geneva is such a small city (I think some 15 km from one end to the other) that in the end -it might be the choice of your daughter's school- or -that of a nice environment for daily life- that will determine your choice of your new home.

Neighbouring towns on the France side are quite pleasant, and soooo close to Geneva that they feel like part of it, in particular Ferney-Voltaire -connected by Geneva public transport buses- is a favourite location of probably half of the Geneva expats.

Wish you Good luck with your search!

General Forum

expats, how did you find your appartment?

Finding an appartment in Geneva part 482

Urgent: Looking for someone to help me to find an apartment

Finding a decent flat 

Agent to help find Apartment?

Were you House Scammed? Call me!

Initial accomodation upon arriving in Geneva - what did you do?

Geneva Forum
nomades, Nov 24, 2010 @ 20:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Re: Flat hunting Geneva/France
Post 2

WOW! 

thanks for your reply! this is super helpful and great help!

Yonathan

WOW! 

thanks for your reply! this is super helpful and great help!

Yonathan

Yonathan Volkow, Nov 25, 2010 @ 19:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
2 Replies | 1650 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form