Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > French lessons and self-raising flour

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
French lessons and self-raising flour

Bonjour mes amis,

I have two questions that I am hoping glocals can help me with:

Firstly, I have bought 'Levure Chimique Alsacienne' from a French supermarket, which is supposed to act as self-raising flour when added to flour (1 sachet for every 500g). When I followed these directions, my muffins were disappointingly flat. Has anyone been able to purchase self-raising flour in Geneva? I realise there are a few online websites that sell these types of expat ingredients, but I do not want to order flour in the post.

Secondly, I am looking to enrol in affordable French lessons in about one month. I am looking for an ongoing course that offers lessons on weekends or after work hours during the week. I am a beginner and would like to become fluent in French, rather than learning the correct grammar at this stage. Although I am a beginner, I am not interested in courses that only teach you very basic expressions such as how to say your name, ask for a croissant in a bakery or a drink in a cafe. One friend recommended Migros language courses but I am not sure. I am aware of Alliance Francais but they tend to be quite expensive. I am not looking for one-on-one tutoring as I prefer a group environment. Any recommendations and experiences (good or bad) would be greatly appreciated.

I am eagerly awaiting some advice :)

The text you are quoting:

Bonjour mes amis,

I have two questions that I am hoping glocals can help me with:

Firstly, I have bought 'Levure Chimique Alsacienne' from a French supermarket, which is supposed to act as self-raising flour when added to flour (1 sachet for every 500g). When I followed these directions, my muffins were disappointingly flat. Has anyone been able to purchase self-raising flour in Geneva? I realise there are a few online websites that sell these types of expat ingredients, but I do not want to order flour in the post.

Secondly, I am looking to enrol in affordable French lessons in about one month. I am looking for an ongoing course that offers lessons on weekends or after work hours during the week. I am a beginner and would like to become fluent in French, rather than learning the correct grammar at this stage. Although I am a beginner, I am not interested in courses that only teach you very basic expressions such as how to say your name, ask for a croissant in a bakery or a drink in a cafe. One friend recommended Migros language courses but I am not sure. I am aware of Alliance Francais but they tend to be quite expensive. I am not looking for one-on-one tutoring as I prefer a group environment. Any recommendations and experiences (good or bad) would be greatly appreciated.

I am eagerly awaiting some advice :)
Elise.GJul 28, 2008 @ 00:09

Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

12 Replies | 2201 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: French lessons and self-raising flour
Post 1
There's been extensive postings on both of these topics... will try to do a search and resurect them from the archives. ;)
There's been extensive postings on both of these topics... will try to do a search and resurect them from the archives. ;)
YouMeCo, Jul 28, 2008 @ 00:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
According to Mr. Scientist's post last year, he suggested trying the x-pat supermarkets for S.R. Flour. There is one in eau vive but there are several around. Coop & Migro in Eau Vive tend to have a good selection of items from around the world, as well as Manor.

I use SuperComm and was very pleased with them. They can clearly taylor to your needs and have group classes. But i'm not sure how they rate in price compared to where you've looked at.

http://www.supercomm.ch/index.php?id=388&language=3

Good luck

According to Mr. Scientist's post last year, he suggested trying the x-pat supermarkets for S.R. Flour. There is one in eau vive but there are several around. Coop & Migro in Eau Vive tend to have a good selection of items from around the world, as well as Manor.

I use SuperComm and was very pleased with them. They can clearly taylor to your needs and have group classes. But i'm not sure how they rate in price compared to where you've looked at.

http://www.supercomm.ch/index.php?id=388&language=3

Good luck
YouMeCo, Jul 28, 2008 @ 00:44

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
Thanks for your comments. Can you please send me the exact name and address of the expat supermarket in Eau Vive as it is a large suburb and I could not find it this morning. I went to Migros, Coop and a few other supermarkets in Eau Vive this morning but no self-raising flour and they did not have a range of expat ingredients.
Thanks for your comments. Can you please send me the exact name and address of the expat supermarket in Eau Vive as it is a large suburb and I could not find it this morning. I went to Migros, Coop and a few other supermarkets in Eau Vive this morning but no self-raising flour and they did not have a range of expat ingredients.
Elise.G, Jul 28, 2008 @ 16:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
[I buy self-raising flout from either Champion or Jim`s British Supermarket in France.
[I buy self-raising flout from either Champion or Jim`s British Supermarket in France.
Molula_M, Jul 28, 2008 @ 20:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
This is from a friend:

There is an aussie shop based in Zurich but they don't have any online credit card option.  Just order online and they send you a pink slip for online payment. 

http://www.aussieshop.ch/

SR flour can be found under the 'flour sugar and rice' section which is under the groceries tab.

This is from a friend:

There is an aussie shop based in Zurich but they don't have any online credit card option.  Just order online and they send you a pink slip for online payment. 

http://www.aussieshop.ch/

SR flour can be found under the 'flour sugar and rice' section which is under the groceries tab.
YouMeCo, Jul 29, 2008 @ 14:56

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
Another possible option:

http://www.britshop.ch/category_Baking_6.html

Verbier
Another possible option:

http://www.britshop.ch/category_Baking_6.html

Verbier
Verbier, Jul 29, 2008 @ 19:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
and if that doesn't convince you to buy from online shops, try adding more of the levure... or use baking soda if it's for muffins. I thought that was supposed to help them rise. Else get your friends to bring a bulk of flour next time they come visit you. just make sure the customs don't catch them, thinking it's something else.  :P
and if that doesn't convince you to buy from online shops, try adding more of the levure... or use baking soda if it's for muffins. I thought that was supposed to help them rise. Else get your friends to bring a bulk of flour next time they come visit you. just make sure the customs don't catch them, thinking it's something else.  :P
YouMeCo, Jul 30, 2008 @ 15:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8
Baking powder does not last all that long: you can test if it is still good by sprinkling a little in some water: if it fizzes it is still good.

I haven't found self raising flour here (I buy mine when I go to London) but you can buy baking powder from just across the border in Ferney Voltaire at Goodtaste.
Baking powder does not last all that long: you can test if it is still good by sprinkling a little in some water: if it fizzes it is still good.

I haven't found self raising flour here (I buy mine when I go to London) but you can buy baking powder from just across the border in Ferney Voltaire at Goodtaste.
Kiriel, May 31, 2009 @ 17:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9
You can buy self-raising flower in most French supermarkets, I've found it in Intermarché & Migros Etrembieres , the brand is "Francine". Globus has a fairly good expat section & Manor in Chavannes.
You can buy self-raising flower in most French supermarkets, I've found it in Intermarché & Migros Etrembieres , the brand is "Francine". Globus has a fairly good expat section & Manor in Chavannes.
jindalee, May 31, 2009 @ 20:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10
Hi all,

Thanks for the responses! Since posting my questions, I visited Jim's British Market and bought enough sf flour to last me a long time ;). In case others are interested, see: www.jims-british-market.com. It's a really great family-run business too.

As recommended, I also enquired at Migros some time ago and discovered that the main courses do not start until Sept.

Thanks for all the responses, much appreciated,
Elise. :)

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses! Since posting my questions, I visited Jim's British Market and bought enough sf flour to last me a long time ;). In case others are interested, see: www.jims-british-market.com. It's a really great family-run business too.

As recommended, I also enquired at Migros some time ago and discovered that the main courses do not start until Sept.

Thanks for all the responses, much appreciated,
Elise. :)
Elise.G, Jun 1, 2009 @ 00:16

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Lurdes, Jul 4, 2009 @ 20:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12
Hello Elise

Did you finally find good and not expensive french lessons?? I´m also looking for it.

Thank you very much

Best regards!!

Lurdes

Hello Elise

Did you finally find good and not expensive french lessons?? I´m also looking for it.

Thank you very much

Best regards!!

Lurdes

Lurdes, Jul 4, 2009 @ 20:54

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
12 Replies | 2201 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form