Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > From London to Geneva: the adventure of finding an apartment

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
From London to Geneva: the adventure of finding an apartment

Dear all,

I have recently accepted an offer to work in Geneva and I will be moving in August to begin this new adventure. I'm very excited! However, as all of you know, finding an apartment in Geneva seems to be quite an ordeal. I have signed up to most Facebook groups where housing advertisements are published and I routinely check most real estate agencies in order to find an apartment. 

My biggest issue, however, is that all of them seem to require an "attestation de non-poursuites". Having never lived in Switzerland, I do not have a Swiss address and, therefore, I cannot seem to obtain the certificate online in order to complete my dossiers and submit them to be considered for an apartment. I do not have any debts in the United Kingdom but I do not know if régies would accept a statement from my UK bank instead of the "attestation".

A similar issue applies to my payslips. My current salary would not allow me to rent an apartment in Geneva but my new salary will and I am looking at apartments that would cost around 30% of my net monthly income. I would have no problem attaching a copy of my work contract which states my monthly salary. Do you think it should be enough to secure an apartment before I move to Geneva?

I would really appreciate any advice from anyone who has been in this situation before and thank you very much in advance for taking the time to read through my post!

Best regards,

Clàudia

The text you are quoting:

Dear all,

I have recently accepted an offer to work in Geneva and I will be moving in August to begin this new adventure. I'm very excited! However, as all of you know, finding an apartment in Geneva seems to be quite an ordeal. I have signed up to most Facebook groups where housing advertisements are published and I routinely check most real estate agencies in order to find an apartment. 

My biggest issue, however, is that all of them seem to require an "attestation de non-poursuites". Having never lived in Switzerland, I do not have a Swiss address and, therefore, I cannot seem to obtain the certificate online in order to complete my dossiers and submit them to be considered for an apartment. I do not have any debts in the United Kingdom but I do not know if régies would accept a statement from my UK bank instead of the "attestation".

A similar issue applies to my payslips. My current salary would not allow me to rent an apartment in Geneva but my new salary will and I am looking at apartments that would cost around 30% of my net monthly income. I would have no problem attaching a copy of my work contract which states my monthly salary. Do you think it should be enough to secure an apartment before I move to Geneva?

I would really appreciate any advice from anyone who has been in this situation before and thank you very much in advance for taking the time to read through my post!

Best regards,

Clàudia

Claudia BMay 21, 2017 @ 14:51
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

15 Replies | 1348 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: From London to Geneva: the adventure of finding an apartment
Post 1

Dear all,

Best regards,

Clàudia

May 21, 17 14:51

You will be able to start sumbitting applications when you arrive. This is the same for most people and thus you should secure some temp housing as a start.

You will have to provide your contract and an attestation from the administration that you will be granted a permit (B). That would clarify that you just arrived and cannot have an attestation about not having debts in Switzwerland.

This also assumes that you have to register with the administration upon your arrival....

All will be needed to even open a bank account etc.

Anyhow, your HR should have told you all this or should have provided you with some housing assistance upon your arrival.

You will be able to start sumbitting applications when you arrive. This is the same for most people and thus you should secure some temp housing as a start.

You will have to provide your contract and an attestation from the administration that you will be granted a permit (B). That would clarify that you just arrived and cannot have an attestation about not having debts in Switzwerland.

This also assumes that you have to register with the administration upon your arrival....

All will be needed to even open a bank account etc.

Anyhow, your HR should have told you all this or should have provided you with some housing assistance upon your arrival.

Reka Y, May 21, 2017 @ 15:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi Reya!

Thank you very much for your quick reply!

Considering the difficulties of securing an apartment in Geneva and in order to avoid the hassle of temporary housing, I was planning on travelling to Geneva in mid-June for a week in order to get started on all the bureaucracy. I plan on registering and opening a bank account then.

I already have my contract and the HR department is already doing the paperwork for a residence permit (C). Do you think I should be able to secure an apartment for August with these two documents or do régis insist upon the "attestation"?

Thnak you once again! :)

Hi Reya!

Considering the difficulties of securing an apartment in Geneva and in order to avoid the hassle of temporary housing, I was planning on travelling to Geneva in mid-June for a week in order to get started on all the bureaucracy. I plan on registering and opening a bank account then.

I already have my contract and the HR department is already doing the paperwork for a residence permit (C). Do you think I should be able to secure an apartment for August with these two documents or do régis insist upon the "attestation"?

Claudia B, May 21, 2017 @ 16:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

There is of course a much easier alternative = live in France and go over the border each day as many other people do. If this is allowed under your contract of employment, then a good deal of money can be saved by commuting from either the Pays de Gex, or from the Annemasse side of Geneva. In any case, good luck!

There is of course a much easier alternative = live in France and go over the border each day as many other people do. If this is allowed under your contract of employment, then a good deal of money can be saved by commuting from either the Pays de Gex, or from the Annemasse side of Geneva. In any case, good luck!

sheila c, May 21, 2017 @ 16:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hi Reya!

May 21, 17 16:20

A look-see visit can certainly be useful but it may not provide the long-term arrangement you are obviously looking for.

My advice is to find a temporary arrangement for the first two or three months because

that will enable you  to process  all the paper work and also to get your bearings as to where you really want to live.

Granted this may not be your usual approach but it is the one most of us have had to adopt when we first arrived.  And it’s not such a bad idea either, because it gives you time to acquire the feel of this somewhat brash city and to cope with the (many) foibles of its officialdom.

Just accept that the document processing and house hunt may take a little time, but you will get there eventually.  Most of us have as you’ll soon find out when you’ve made a few friends and you hear their stories.

All the best,

R.

A look-see visit can certainly be useful but it may not provide the long-term arrangement you are obviously looking for.

My advice is to find a temporary arrangement for the first two or three months because

that will enable you  to process  all the paper work and also to get your bearings as to where you really want to live.

Granted this may not be your usual approach but it is the one most of us have had to adopt when we first arrived.  And it’s not such a bad idea either, because it gives you time to acquire the feel of this somewhat brash city and to cope with the (many) foibles of its officialdom.

Just accept that the document processing and house hunt may take a little time, but you will get there eventually.  Most of us have as you’ll soon find out when you’ve made a few friends and you hear their stories.

All the best,

R.

Ritchie, May 21, 2017 @ 17:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Thank you, Sheila!

I was considering it since I am an EU citizen but, until I am more familiar with what my work hours will be like, I don't want to depend on public transport to get home!

Thank you very much for your suggestion though!

Thank you, Sheila!

I was considering it since I am an EU citizen but, until I am more familiar with what my work hours will be like, I don't want to depend on public transport to get home!

Thank you very much for your suggestion though!

Claudia B, May 21, 2017 @ 17:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Thank you, Ritchie!

I do realise that I may have to end up getting temporary accomodation while I flat hunt but I would like to do everything in my hand to avoid this outcome since I want to be able to focus on my new job as soon as I start. It is a very good opportunity and I would like to focus all my attention on it without being distracted by bureaucracy!

Thank you very much for your advice!

Thank you, Ritchie!

I do realise that I may have to end up getting temporary accomodation while I flat hunt but I would like to do everything in my hand to avoid this outcome since I want to be able to focus on my new job as soon as I start. It is a very good opportunity and I would like to focus all my attention on it without being distracted by bureaucracy!

Thank you very much for your advice!

Claudia B, May 21, 2017 @ 17:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Hi Claudia, Fully agree with the other responses. Whilst temporary housing may seem daunting, it is in fact the easiest way to get settled rapidly. It will allow you time to find something you really like. I would suggest using a relocation agency - is your company providing one? In that way you could focus on your new challenge and let them assist you for the rest. The attestation you can obtain upon your arrival at 46, rue du stand: http://ge.ch/opf/contact. I submitted a letter from my bank in Luxembourg alongside this document. Likewise a contract with the Residence Permit works. Don't worry, it will all work out - just arm yourself with some patience and optimism :)

Hi Claudia, Fully agree with the other responses. Whilst temporary housing may seem daunting, it is in fact the easiest way to get settled rapidly. It will allow you time to find something you really like. I would suggest using a relocation agency - is your company providing one? In that way you could focus on your new challenge and let them assist you for the rest. The attestation you can obtain upon your arrival at 46, rue du stand: http://ge.ch/opf/contact. I submitted a letter from my bank in Luxembourg alongside this document. Likewise a contract with the Residence Permit works. Don't worry, it will all work out - just arm yourself with some patience and optimism :)

ISABELLE M, May 22, 2017 @ 05:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Also check out the short term apparthotel option at City Green at Viegy , we know of several people who have used this for there first step and good luck

Also check out the short term apparthotel option at City Green at Viegy , we know of several people who have used this for there first step and good luck

Mike H, May 22, 2017 @ 11:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

May 22, 17 05:54

Dear Isabelle,

Thank you for your advice and encouragement! My employer did suggest a few relocation agencies but I would have to pay for the cost myself, which I am not too keen on. As for the "attestation", I will travel to Geneva in mid-June so I will stop by the office you suggested and see if they can give me one.

Thank you once again! I really appreciate it!

Dear Isabelle,

Thank you for your advice and encouragement! My employer did suggest a few relocation agencies but I would have to pay for the cost myself, which I am not too keen on. As for the "attestation", I will travel to Geneva in mid-June so I will stop by the office you suggested and see if they can give me one.

Thank you once again! I really appreciate it!

Claudia B, May 23, 2017 @ 10:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

May 22, 17 11:22

Hi Mike!

Thank you for your advice! I'll check out this option. Do you happen to know if 2 to 3 months would be considered "short-term"? Many thanks!

Hi Mike!

Thank you for your advice! I'll check out this option. Do you happen to know if 2 to 3 months would be considered "short-term"? Many thanks!

Claudia B, May 23, 2017 @ 10:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Hi Mike!

May 23, 17 10:30

Two to three months is definitely considered to be “short term”.  I would say it’s even the norm.

Be aware, however, that Veigy is in France, not Switzerland.

R.

Two to three months is definitely considered to be “short term”.  I would say it’s even the norm.

R.

Ritchie, May 23, 2017 @ 10:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Nearby France is also an option worth considering.

hay_, May 23, 2017 @ 17:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

R.

May 23, 17 10:46

Thank you once more, Ritchie!

Thank you once more, Ritchie!

Claudia B, May 29, 2017 @ 10:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

May 23, 17 17:36

Dear Hay,

Thank you for your comment. I am definitely considering France as well. However, seeing as I will not know what my work hours look like until I start my job, I would prefer not to depend on public transportation to get home.

Thank you once more!

Dear Hay,

Thank you for your comment. I am definitely considering France as well. However, seeing as I will not know what my work hours look like until I start my job, I would prefer not to depend on public transportation to get home.

Thank you once more!

Claudia B, May 29, 2017 @ 10:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

Mingmar sherpa, May 29, 2017 @ 17:35
Your Reply: