Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Frontalier help

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Frontalier help

I have just taken up a job in Geneva and I have been trying to find the best choice for me. I am 23 years old and single with no children, I have a house in France (Chamonix) and a House in Rolle. I could therefore register as a frontalier or a swiss resident. I have heard people say both are better than each other. Doing a google search has not provided much information. Anyone else able to shed any light on which situation would be better for me? Swiss resident or Frontalier? Thanks in advance for any help

The text you are quoting:

I have just taken up a job in Geneva and I have been trying to find the best choice for me. I am 23 years old and single with no children, I have a house in France (Chamonix) and a House in Rolle. I could therefore register as a frontalier or a swiss resident. I have heard people say both are better than each other. Doing a google search has not provided much information. Anyone else able to shed any light on which situation would be better for me? Swiss resident or Frontalier? Thanks in advance for any help

Joe PAug 15, 2017 @ 12:10
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

3 Replies | 1218 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Frontalier help
Post 1

Hi Joe,

Basically, in France it is cheaper to live there, but you will have to declare your house in Switzerland to the french authorities which might be taxable there depending on its worth. If you are making good money in Switzerland it will work out cheaper to have frontalier health insurance than the 8% the SECU will charge you if you live in France... plus the amount of time your french health insurance would take to sort out as there is such a massive backlog there at the moment. If you stay in Switzerland the admin is much easier. Since the 1 Jan, things have got much more restrictive to be frontalier and benefit from the Swiss system...

We work with frontaliers all the time for admin, tax, insurance etc. PM me if you have any specific questions and I'll be more than happy to help.

Have a nice day!

George

Hi Joe,

Basically, in France it is cheaper to live there, but you will have to declare your house in Switzerland to the french authorities which might be taxable there depending on its worth. If you are making good money in Switzerland it will work out cheaper to have frontalier health insurance than the 8% the SECU will charge you if you live in France... plus the amount of time your french health insurance would take to sort out as there is such a massive backlog there at the moment. If you stay in Switzerland the admin is much easier. Since the 1 Jan, things have got much more restrictive to be frontalier and benefit from the Swiss system...

We work with frontaliers all the time for admin, tax, insurance etc. PM me if you have any specific questions and I'll be more than happy to help.

Have a nice day!

George

George Buchan, Aug 16, 2017 @ 11:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Wow! You are only 23 and have two houses?

Not many people of your age can say that!

Wow! You are only 23 and have two houses?

Not many people of your age can say that!

sheila c, Aug 16, 2017 @ 17:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Will you be living either in Chamonix or in Rolle? Both are quite at a long commuting distance!

Will you be living either in Chamonix or in Rolle? Both are quite at a long commuting distance!

hay_, Aug 16, 2017 @ 18:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
3 Replies | 1218 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form