Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Geneva 'housing crisis' is a hoax. Where to find a replacement tenant?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Geneva 'housing crisis' is a hoax. Where to find a replacement tenant?

Hello, everybody!

i am well aware this is not a classifieds section to advertise appartments. I, rather, need an advice from somebody with regie/ real estate background or someone who managed to live through the same situation.

I am changing appartments in Geneva in a week or so. The lease is over next May (May 2017, this was a three-year-long lease), thus, a replacement tennant is needed. Personally, I like my appartment, the area, etc. The move is for personal reasons (unrelated to the flat, regie, etc.). Nevertheless, after almost 2 weeks of ads all over (paid anibis, petitsannonces, urbanhome, comparis, glocals, even Coop and Migros message boards...) the result is inexistent. I am really at the point of lacking ideas and inspiration. On one hand, I have visited appartments assembling a crowd of 30 or so potential tennants myself (neither of which was perfect and, neither of which I have ultimately obtained anyway), yet, on the other...

The appartment is in Champel and so, evidently, is not among the cheapest, which is its main minus. There are many plusses, yet, they, probably, are not as straightforward as the price.

Keeping an empty place (in addition to my new appartment) for another 2 months is neithe my preferred nor any feasible option... Thus, any of your hints, ideas, etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Leonila

The text you are quoting:

Hello, everybody!

i am well aware this is not a classifieds section to advertise appartments. I, rather, need an advice from somebody with regie/ real estate background or someone who managed to live through the same situation.

I am changing appartments in Geneva in a week or so. The lease is over next May (May 2017, this was a three-year-long lease), thus, a replacement tennant is needed. Personally, I like my appartment, the area, etc. The move is for personal reasons (unrelated to the flat, regie, etc.). Nevertheless, after almost 2 weeks of ads all over (paid anibis, petitsannonces, urbanhome, comparis, glocals, even Coop and Migros message boards...) the result is inexistent. I am really at the point of lacking ideas and inspiration. On one hand, I have visited appartments assembling a crowd of 30 or so potential tennants myself (neither of which was perfect and, neither of which I have ultimately obtained anyway), yet, on the other...

The appartment is in Champel and so, evidently, is not among the cheapest, which is its main minus. There are many plusses, yet, they, probably, are not as straightforward as the price.

Keeping an empty place (in addition to my new appartment) for another 2 months is neithe my preferred nor any feasible option... Thus, any of your hints, ideas, etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Leonila

Leonila GMay 10, 2016 @ 13:07
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

29 Replies | 2894 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Geneva 'housing crisis' is a hoax. Where to find a replacement tenant?
Post 1

so are you saying that you published your apartment on 7 main sites / boards, and not one person was interested to come see it?

so are you saying that you published your apartment on 7 main sites / boards, and not one person was interested to come see it?

Nir Ofek, May 10, 2016 @ 13:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Exactly... I know it should sound strange for Geneva, at least I belived so before. I have received 2 messages confirming availability from private intermediaries, in reaction to Urbanhome and Petitsannonces ads. That's it.

Exactly... I know it should sound strange for Geneva, at least I belived so before. I have received 2 messages confirming availability from private intermediaries, in reaction to Urbanhome and Petitsannonces ads. That's it.

Leonila G, May 10, 2016 @ 13:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Where can I see one of your ads?

Nir Ofek, May 10, 2016 @ 13:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

May 10, 16 13:36

How about checking Glocals' classifieds?

Casuistik, May 10, 2016 @ 13:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

May 10, 16 13:59

There's 430 Geneva apartments to rent right now on the glocals clasiffieds section, so not easy to find Leonila's specific post

There's 430 Geneva apartments to rent right now on the glocals clasiffieds section, so not easy to find Leonila's specific post

Nir Ofek, May 10, 2016 @ 14:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Took me 15 seconds...

Took me 15 seconds...

Casuistik, May 10, 2016 @ 14:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

7th in the list - Champel - 45m2 with terrasse

7th in the list - Champel - 45m2 with terrasse

Casuistik, May 10, 2016 @ 14:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Casuistik, May 10, 2016 @ 14:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Here is the whole collection:

Petitesannonces: http://www.petitesannonces.ch/a/3404545

Anibis: http://www.anibis.ch//fr/immobilier-immobilier-locations-gen%C3%A8ve--418/bel-appartement-de-25-pi%C3%A8ces-avec-terrasse-%C3%A0-champel--14938356.aspx?utm_source=anibis-systemmail&utm_medium=email&utm_term=contentlink&utm_content=fr&utm_campaign=paymentconfirmation

Urbanhome: http://ch.urbanhome.net/recherche/1715754-2-5-zimmer-wohnung 

GHI (online, to come out of print on Thursday): http://pa.ghi.ch/Projet_GHI/PAGE_ListePA/mCIAAKLgqgx6V1hBekh5S1F3MgA

Comparis: https://fr.comparis.ch/immobilien/details/show?id=14704404&from=map

Glocals: http://www.glocals.com/classifieds/housing-and-real-estate/69191.htm

! Report to Admin
Post 10

I guess the problem is that the terrace is too big (and nice) for such a small flat: it drives the price a bit too high. I would think that you can still rent a 45m2 appartment in GVA for CHF 1000/1500, meaning that the rent for the terrace itself is equally around CHF 1000/1500, which is a bit out of proportion...

I guess the problem is that the terrace is too big (and nice) for such a small flat: it drives the price a bit too high. I would think that you can still rent a 45m2 appartment in GVA for CHF 1000/1500, meaning that the rent for the terrace itself is equally around CHF 1000/1500, which is a bit out of proportion...

Casuistik, May 10, 2016 @ 14:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Well, I would probably disagree with CHF 1000. CHF 1500 could be, but surely not in Champel...

The truth is the terrace is only about additional CHF 300, compared to the apartments with 8m2 balconies in the same building (I had one before at CHF 2133). I have actually moved down myself for that terrace the other day (and even faught for that a bit). 120+ m2 is not nothing, when the weather is warm (if not, there is still a small veranda, of probably 20 m2)...

The problem is I am not setting the price :). But I could probably pass over the garden furniture, barbeque and umbrellas.

Well, I would probably disagree with CHF 1000. CHF 1500 could be, but surely not in Champel...

The truth is the terrace is only about additional CHF 300, compared to the apartments with 8m2 balconies in the same building (I had one before at CHF 2133). I have actually moved down myself for that terrace the other day (and even faught for that a bit). 120+ m2 is not nothing, when the weather is warm (if not, there is still a small veranda, of probably 20 m2)...

The problem is I am not setting the price :). But I could probably pass over the garden furniture, barbeque and umbrellas.

Leonila G, May 10, 2016 @ 14:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Fair enough.

Maybe you could rework a bit your pics. Make them look a bit more glamourous (Manor bags and plastic stools don't look that appealing...) At least make the place more neutral, more empty, so people can project their own sense of aesthetics.

Fair enough.

Maybe you could rework a bit your pics. Make them look a bit more glamourous (Manor bags and plastic stools don't look that appealing...) At least make the place more neutral, more empty, so people can project their own sense of aesthetics.

Casuistik, May 10, 2016 @ 14:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

I saw your flat while browsing for a new place -- its the pictures. They give no clue as to what the flat looks like, are dark and not very apetizing

I saw your flat while browsing for a new place -- its the pictures. They give no clue as to what the flat looks like, are dark and not very apetizing

Mathieu B, May 10, 2016 @ 15:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

Fair as well, thanks for your note! Yet, it takes moving out to make the appartment [much] emptier, so this is a circle.

On the other hand, I tend to think one should see the place to start imagining. The appartment is a bit specific, but I can only picture bits and pieces when actively boxing stuff every weekend/ evening...

Fair as well, thanks for your note! Yet, it takes moving out to make the appartment [much] emptier, so this is a circle.

On the other hand, I tend to think one should see the place to start imagining. The appartment is a bit specific, but I can only picture bits and pieces when actively boxing stuff every weekend/ evening...

Leonila G, May 10, 2016 @ 15:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

If you have a pic of the ground plan of the flat, you may want to add it to your ads.

If you have a pic of the ground plan of the flat, you may want to add it to your ads.

Casuistik, May 10, 2016 @ 15:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

If you have a kitchen, a living room and a bedroom, shouldn't it be a 3.5 pieces? To me, the price looks high for a 2.5 room apartment deep in Champel (personal preference, but some people are ready to pay more for an apartment closer to the center) but becomes much more reasonable for 3.5 rooms...

If you have a kitchen, a living room and a bedroom, shouldn't it be a 3.5 pieces? To me, the price looks high for a 2.5 room apartment deep in Champel (personal preference, but some people are ready to pay more for an apartment closer to the center) but becomes much more reasonable for 3.5 rooms...

justine f, May 10, 2016 @ 16:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

Same situation here .. 

Struggling to find a replacement .. Advertised everywhere incl GLocals, homegate, immoscout, anibis and the regies own site.  .. Just updated my advert here today to say the price is negotiable.. I'd rather be liable the difference than all of it!

We've have 6 viewings in a month but no applications.

Where's the queue of people indeed.

Same situation here .. 

Struggling to find a replacement .. Advertised everywhere incl GLocals, homegate, immoscout, anibis and the regies own site.  .. Just updated my advert here today to say the price is negotiable.. I'd rather be liable the difference than all of it!

We've have 6 viewings in a month but no applications.

Where's the queue of people indeed.

John H, May 10, 2016 @ 17:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

Good luck, John H!.. Sorry to hear we seem to be in the same boat. 

It is still 2.5, Justine. The kitchen is about 9 m2, in my estimation, but there is no hall, you enter the kitchen right away :). The reason, if any, is the terrace (there are people appreciating private outdoors too, I am one of them).

I had the plan idea, Casuistik. I do not have any from the regie. I wanted to draw one. What stopped me is than I am a lawyer, not an artist (and I was never sure how my art could be seen by someone raised in best traditions of precision, even if presented as an "estimation").

Good luck, John H!.. Sorry to hear we seem to be in the same boat. 

It is still 2.5, Justine. The kitchen is about 9 m2, in my estimation, but there is no hall, you enter the kitchen right away :). The reason, if any, is the terrace (there are people appreciating private outdoors too, I am one of them).

I had the plan idea, Casuistik. I do not have any from the regie. I wanted to draw one. What stopped me is than I am a lawyer, not an artist (and I was never sure how my art could be seen by someone raised in best traditions of precision, even if presented as an "estimation").

Leonila G, May 10, 2016 @ 19:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

Hi all, we are looking for a unfurnished place starting June 1st (or earlier if needed) - 2BDR, about 2500CHF - flexible on location to a certain extent, but within Geneva (i.e., can't be in France). Message me if either of your places fit the bill!

Thanks!

Hi all, we are looking for a unfurnished place starting June 1st (or earlier if needed) - 2BDR, about 2500CHF - flexible on location to a certain extent, but within Geneva (i.e., can't be in France). Message me if either of your places fit the bill!

Thanks!

Flo G, May 10, 2016 @ 22:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

In my opinion, it is simply the rent that is too expensive for a 2.5 piece appartment. You'll have to get lucky to find a single person that makes enough money to take over your lease.

In my opinion, it is simply the rent that is too expensive for a 2.5 piece appartment. You'll have to get lucky to find a single person that makes enough money to take over your lease.

Pieter Staes, May 18, 2016 @ 16:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

The rent is definitely too expensive.  The terrace can be beautiful and green and anything else, but 2500 CHF is still a lot of money for a one-room apartment.  We just rented a 3-room apartment (plus 2 parking places) for the exact same price. 

I feel sorry for your situation.  To limit the loss, you might sublet for a smaller price (say, 2000 CHF) until you are able to terminate the lease in May 2017.  (Remember to check with the Régie if they agree with the sublease.)

The rent is definitely too expensive.  The terrace can be beautiful and green and anything else, but 2500 CHF is still a lot of money for a one-room apartment.  We just rented a 3-room apartment (plus 2 parking places) for the exact same price. 

I feel sorry for your situation.  To limit the loss, you might sublet for a smaller price (say, 2000 CHF) until you are able to terminate the lease in May 2017.  (Remember to check with the Régie if they agree with the sublease.)

TheOmegaMan, May 20, 2016 @ 22:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22

Hi, I am moving to Geneva on June 8. Need to find a studio or a room. Could you, please, advise. Feeling a bit lost...

Hi, I am moving to Geneva on June 8. Need to find a studio or a room. Could you, please, advise. Feeling a bit lost...

Kamila Mukhamedkhanova, May 21, 2016 @ 06:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 23

Economy is down and people have left. Geneva in droves. Not too difficult to find apartment. But keep posting you might find the sucket. Be grateful is only 2 months left.

Economy is down and people have left. Geneva in droves. Not too difficult to find apartment. But keep posting you might find the sucket. Be grateful is only 2 months left.

Gennaro S, May 21, 2016 @ 13:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 24

May 21, 16 06:46

I suggest that you check the accommodation offers under “Housing available” in the Classifieds at least once a day.  You can also insert your own ad. in “Housing wanted”.

Also, why not ask the person for whom you will be working if he/she knows of a staff member going away on mission who might be happy to sublet their place for a short spell.

Good luck!

R.

I suggest that you check the accommodation offers under “Housing available” in the Classifieds at least once a day.  You can also insert your own ad. in “Housing wanted”.

Also, why not ask the person for whom you will be working if he/she knows of a staff member going away on mission who might be happy to sublet their place for a short spell.

Good luck!

R.

Ritchie, May 21, 2016 @ 17:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 25

Hi,

You might want to invest in a good photographer to make your place look more appealing.

Good luck!

Hi,

You might want to invest in a good photographer to make your place look more appealing.

Good luck!

ikeaboy, May 21, 2016 @ 19:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 26

I am subletting an apartment for 1400CHf and it is ~3rooms.

My previous sub let was a huge loft convert room in a big 3 bedroom duplex for 850CHF (whole apartment was 2400).

Previous let was from a regie for 1800 in a small 2.5 apartment (massive rip off but great location - thought I regret spending 3 years paying for this place).

I have usually had a pretty decent salary but +2000CHF for a 2.5 would be a waste of money in my eyes, so my cap would probably be around 1800 (even with a fancy balcony).

I think the other problem is that people dont like dealing with regies, its a lot of hassle and sometimes a lot of commitment. So they prefer to sublet.

A lot of regies expect at least 3x the salary, and full form filling/background checks/work contract etc. Not everyone can or want to deal with that.

But more specifically to your listing, I agree with the others, spend time emptying the space and take some nice shots (or get a photographer to do it). 

I am subletting an apartment for 1400CHf and it is ~3rooms.

My previous sub let was a huge loft convert room in a big 3 bedroom duplex for 850CHF (whole apartment was 2400).

Previous let was from a regie for 1800 in a small 2.5 apartment (massive rip off but great location - thought I regret spending 3 years paying for this place).

I have usually had a pretty decent salary but +2000CHF for a 2.5 would be a waste of money in my eyes, so my cap would probably be around 1800 (even with a fancy balcony).

I think the other problem is that people dont like dealing with regies, its a lot of hassle and sometimes a lot of commitment. So they prefer to sublet.

A lot of regies expect at least 3x the salary, and full form filling/background checks/work contract etc. Not everyone can or want to deal with that.

But more specifically to your listing, I agree with the others, spend time emptying the space and take some nice shots (or get a photographer to do it). 

Farzam F, May 23, 2016 @ 10:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 27

I think the rent is what is putting people off. I dont know if it is just me but the rents seem to be going down. 

I think the rent is what is putting people off. I dont know if it is just me but the rents seem to be going down. 

Marcy S, May 23, 2016 @ 16:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 28

May 23, 16 16:57

I’ve also noticed that the price of rooms has also dropped somewhat.

I’ve also noticed that the price of rooms has also dropped somewhat.

Ritchie, May 23, 2016 @ 17:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 29

Did you consider getting your rent professionally reveiwed?

BTW I am a photographer also..

Did you consider getting your rent professionally reveiwed?

BTW I am a photographer also..

RichPB, May 23, 2016 @ 23:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
29 Replies | 2894 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form