Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Geneva Districts/Quartiers

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Geneva Districts/Quartiers

Hi everyone! My husband and I recently found an apartment in Geneva and are looking forward to getting settled in. However, I wanted to ask about the districts or 'quartiers' of the city. According to the city map online, our new place seems to sit at a point where three different quartiers meet. I'm not exactly sure which one our address officially falls into - but more importantly, does this even matter? Are city districts used for things like voting and government services, or are they just informal ways to classify different neighborhoods? Do we need to figure out which one we belong to, or is it simply a matter of personal interest? Thanks so much for clarifying!

The text you are quoting:

Hi everyone! My husband and I recently found an apartment in Geneva and are looking forward to getting settled in. However, I wanted to ask about the districts or 'quartiers' of the city. According to the city map online, our new place seems to sit at a point where three different quartiers meet. I'm not exactly sure which one our address officially falls into - but more importantly, does this even matter? Are city districts used for things like voting and government services, or are they just informal ways to classify different neighborhoods? Do we need to figure out which one we belong to, or is it simply a matter of personal interest? Thanks so much for clarifying!

Kelcey CAug 28, 2015 @ 12:34
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

8 Replies | 1787 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Geneva Districts/Quartiers
Post 1

Hi Kelcey and welcome to Geneva,

The quartiers may have some significance in terms of local services (schools, libraries etc) and maybe on local votes but I don't think it would be anything major.

Maybe some local experts can give us more accurate info here.

Living on the interesection of 3 different quartiers sounds pretty cool :-)

Enjoy Geneva,

Oded

Hi Kelcey and welcome to Geneva,

The quartiers may have some significance in terms of local services (schools, libraries etc) and maybe on local votes but I don't think it would be anything major.

Maybe some local experts can give us more accurate info here.

Living on the interesection of 3 different quartiers sounds pretty cool :-)

Enjoy Geneva,

Oded

SiteAdmin Oded, Aug 28, 2015 @ 14:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Could you tell us the name of the street perhaps?  Then we’d know your postal district number.

Could you tell us the name of the street perhaps?  Then we’d know your postal district number.

Ritchie, Aug 28, 2015 @ 14:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Thanks for the replies! Our postal code is 1203, if it helps. I'm also not 100% clear on what constitutes a commune of Geneva - I understand these are different from quartiers? Ah, so much to learn!

Thanks for the replies! Our postal code is 1203, if it helps. I'm also not 100% clear on what constitutes a commune of Geneva - I understand these are different from quartiers? Ah, so much to learn!

Kelcey C, Aug 28, 2015 @ 15:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

If you are in 1203, it is the municipality called "Ville de Genève", more or less between the railway station and the airport. You are not entitled to vote as long as you do not hold a C permit. it has an impact on your taxes, since there are slight differences of rates among municipalities. But really, within Geneva canton, it does not matter much.

If you want to know in which municipality an adress is located, you can insert the address in the online directories at www.local.ch

If you are in 1203, it is the municipality called "Ville de Genève", more or less between the railway station and the airport. You are not entitled to vote as long as you do not hold a C permit. it has an impact on your taxes, since there are slight differences of rates among municipalities. But really, within Geneva canton, it does not matter much.

If you want to know in which municipality an adress is located, you can insert the address in the online directories at www.local.ch

Alexandre P, Aug 28, 2015 @ 15:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Aug 28, 15 15:22

The right to vote is not linked to the type of permit, but wether you are a citizen and how long you have been living here.

For Kelcey, 1203 is in the actual city of Geneva, other than that the area doesn't impact you in any way other than being able to tell your friends in which neighborhood you live.

The right to vote is not linked to the type of permit, but wether you are a citizen and how long you have been living here.

For Kelcey, 1203 is in the actual city of Geneva, other than that the area doesn't impact you in any way other than being able to tell your friends in which neighborhood you live.

catalin, Aug 28, 2015 @ 16:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Also, if you're interested in the exact boundaries, you can search the names of quartiers in google maps and it will show you the boundaries.  for example, my post code is 1205, which covers more than one quartier, but my quartier is jonction.  As far as I know, both the post code and the quartier are different than the municipality, which I think is a higher level of classification than the postcode (i.e. more than one postcose in a municipality).

could be wrong about that though...

Also, if you're interested in the exact boundaries, you can search the names of quartiers in google maps and it will show you the boundaries.  for example, my post code is 1205, which covers more than one quartier, but my quartier is jonction.  As far as I know, both the post code and the quartier are different than the municipality, which I think is a higher level of classification than the postcode (i.e. more than one postcose in a municipality).

could be wrong about that though...

Rowan P, Aug 28, 2015 @ 16:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Wow, thanks for all the input everyone! It seems even more complicated than I initially thought, and every map is different, haha. I am definitely curious about our new neighborhood but if it doesn't have any real administrative consequences I won't lose any sleep over it. 

Wow, thanks for all the input everyone! It seems even more complicated than I initially thought, and every map is different, haha. I am definitely curious about our new neighborhood but if it doesn't have any real administrative consequences I won't lose any sleep over it. 

Kelcey C, Aug 28, 2015 @ 17:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Update: finally managed to figure it out thanks to the handy brochures on the city's website! Here's the link in case anyone's interested:

http://www.ville-geneve.ch/actualites/detail/article/1389621951-brochure-redecouvrir-quartier/

Update: finally managed to figure it out thanks to the handy brochures on the city's website! Here's the link in case anyone's interested:

http://www.ville-geneve.ch/actualites/detail/article/1389621951-brochure-redecouvrir-quartier/

Kelcey C, Aug 28, 2015 @ 19:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
8 Replies | 1787 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form