Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Geneva Location Advice

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Geneva Location Advice

Hello,

My wife and I recently moved to Geneva (just arrived 2 days ago) for my job and are looking to better understand the Geneva neighborhoods.  We are currently in temporary housing in the Pierres du Niton area (close to La Grange park) and will be working with a relocation agent provided by my company to find permanent housing beginning around September 15th - Oct 1st. 

I have read a lot about the Geneva housing scene and I know it is difficult to find a place and that it is overpriced - it actually sounds just like home (we are moving from NYC where there is currently <.05% vacancy rate).  Truthfully I am not too concerned about that. 

What I am interested in is the character of the different neighborhoods within Geneva, as most articles I have read focus mainly on the "Rive Gauche" vs the "Rive Droite" and do not really get into particulars.  

Specifically I am looking to understand what area(s) would be considered "artsy", "hip", "edgy", "young" and "fun".  We are moving from Brooklyn and although I know nothing here will compare to the scene there (nor do we want it to or we would not have moved) we are still looking to be someplace with action, interesting people, coffee shops, nightlife, fun (divey and cocktail) bars,  cool restaurants, music venues, lower key clubs, etc.  I understand that this might/probably does not exist here, but was hoping for some guidance as to if any area(s) came close.  

Would appreciate your feedback as we will be spending time over the coming weeks wondering around trying to get a feel for the city and would love to be able to target some specific locations.

Thanks

Chris

The text you are quoting:

Hello,

My wife and I recently moved to Geneva (just arrived 2 days ago) for my job and are looking to better understand the Geneva neighborhoods.  We are currently in temporary housing in the Pierres du Niton area (close to La Grange park) and will be working with a relocation agent provided by my company to find permanent housing beginning around September 15th - Oct 1st. 

I have read a lot about the Geneva housing scene and I know it is difficult to find a place and that it is overpriced - it actually sounds just like home (we are moving from NYC where there is currently <.05% vacancy rate).  Truthfully I am not too concerned about that. 

What I am interested in is the character of the different neighborhoods within Geneva, as most articles I have read focus mainly on the "Rive Gauche" vs the "Rive Droite" and do not really get into particulars.  

Specifically I am looking to understand what area(s) would be considered "artsy", "hip", "edgy", "young" and "fun".  We are moving from Brooklyn and although I know nothing here will compare to the scene there (nor do we want it to or we would not have moved) we are still looking to be someplace with action, interesting people, coffee shops, nightlife, fun (divey and cocktail) bars,  cool restaurants, music venues, lower key clubs, etc.  I understand that this might/probably does not exist here, but was hoping for some guidance as to if any area(s) came close.  

Would appreciate your feedback as we will be spending time over the coming weeks wondering around trying to get a feel for the city and would love to be able to target some specific locations.

Thanks

Chris

Christopher LeeAug 20, 2015 @ 11:17
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

13 Replies | 1565 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Geneva Location Advice
Post 1

Hi Chris,

I had a simillar problem when I came here last year, have a look at the feedback I recieved back then: http://www.glocals.com/forums/geneva/where-how-in-geneva/Perfect-city-location-for-a-young-guy-213424.htm#msg_215774 It might not perfectly answer your question but should shed some light.

Cheers,

Lucas

Hi Chris,

I had a simillar problem when I came here last year, have a look at the feedback I recieved back then: http://www.glocals.com/forums/geneva/where-how-in-geneva/Perfect-city-location-for-a-young-guy-213424.htm#msg_215774 It might not perfectly answer your question but should shed some light.

Cheers,

Lucas

Lukasz J, Aug 20, 2015 @ 12:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi Chris,

First of all: Welcome to Geneva!

Concerning your question I would say that if everybody talks about the "Rive gauche and Rive droite" is from my point of view, a purely practical thing. Depending on which rive do you work, is preferably to live in the same rive; crossing the Mont Blanc bridge or the Coulouvrinière one, is just a nightmare at rush hours. The rest, depends on your life style. Do you have children? are they going to private schools? if so, you would maybe prefer to live not to far from them.

I can tell you that if you do not have kids and some drog dealers do not scare you, Paquis (rive droite) is a great place to live: central, lot of cafes, restaurants and bars and near to the lake. Eauxvives (rive gauche), is very central and has some cafes and restaurants. The Grottes quartier is very boheme. If you belong to the Jew community or simply if you want to live in a fancy and calm place, champel or florissant is the place to be. If you fancy expensive neighbourhoods,  Cologny, Vesenaz or Corsier are great. I would say that the Rive droite is more popular. 

I hope that helps. Should you have any other question do not hesitate!

Good luck!

Viviane

Hi Chris,

Concerning your question I would say that if everybody talks about the "Rive gauche and Rive droite" is from my point of view, a purely practical thing. Depending on which rive do you work, is preferably to live in the same rive; crossing the Mont Blanc bridge or the Coulouvrinière one, is just a nightmare at rush hours. The rest, depends on your life style. Do you have children? are they going to private schools? if so, you would maybe prefer to live not to far from them.

I can tell you that if you do not have kids and some drog dealers do not scare you, Paquis (rive droite) is a great place to live: central, lot of cafes, restaurants and bars and near to the lake. Eauxvives (rive gauche), is very central and has some cafes and restaurants. The Grottes quartier is very boheme. If you belong to the Jew community or simply if you want to live in a fancy and calm place, champel or florissant is the place to be. If you fancy expensive neighbourhoods,  Cologny, Vesenaz or Corsier are great. I would say that the Rive droite is more popular. 

Good luck!

Viviane

Viviane A, Aug 20, 2015 @ 12:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

One thing to remember is that compared to NY Geneva is a tiny city. If you live anywhere in the centre of town, the action (such as there is) will not be more than ten minutes' walk away.

One thing to remember is that compared to NY Geneva is a tiny city. If you live anywhere in the centre of town, the action (such as there is) will not be more than ten minutes' walk away.

adam_jeff, Aug 20, 2015 @ 14:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

I've lived in East London and know NY and Brooklyn very well. Your best bet if you're looking for anything fun and lively in Geneva is the following neighborhoods:

- Eaux-Vives (the closer to the lake and Place des Eaux-Vives, the better)

- Plainpalais

- Jonction

- St Jean

OR Carouge, it has a lot of charm.

Good luck (i'm also looking for an appartment!)

I've lived in East London and know NY and Brooklyn very well. Your best bet if you're looking for anything fun and lively in Geneva is the following neighborhoods:

- Plainpalais

- Jonction

- St Jean

emile h, Aug 20, 2015 @ 14:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hi Chris,

Welcome to Geneva! As someone who moved from NYC/NJ I’d begin by asking you to temper your expectations. There aren’t too many places like NYC/Brooklyn, and chances are Geneva will disappoint incredibly if that’s your measuring stick. Specially if you’re into the bar scene (cocktails or craft beers) as Geneva is severely lacking in that department. My wife constantly bemoans how much she misses Middle Branch in New York City.

With that said I will make a case for the neighborhood I live in and maybe people can do the same for theirs. I’ll try to spin it in a NY centric way to compare. But once again, the comparisons are merely to state it’s the Geneva equivalent. Not to say they compare.

Eaux-Vives

PROS:

Close  proximity to the Jet D’Eau/Lake/Jardin Anglais/Parc La Grange which becomes the defacto center of life during the summer.  (NYC: Central Park)

Easy access to Plainpalais which is the “College neighborhood” so lots of student bars and eateries. (Note: Don’t expect U.S College bar prices.) You’re still looking at 7-8 CHF for a pint of beer. However, in sheer numbers/concentration. You probably won’t find more bars anywhere else than in Plainpalais. So why not live there? Loud and a bit inconvenient to get to. (NYC: Greenwich Village without the excessive charm)

As expensive and mediocre the cocktails in Geneva are, two of the best cocktail bars in the city are located in Eaux-Vives (Bottle Brothers/L’Atelier). The area they’re located in has some really chill bars (my favorite being Yvette de Marseille). (NYC: L.E.S)

Close to the City Center : so quick access to the shopping, tourists, specialty shops. (NYC: Flat Iron District/Madison Square Park). Globus might as well be considered Geneva’s Eataly.

CONS:

You’re going to pay a premium in rent to live in Eaux-Vives. You could probably find an apt twice as large/new for the same price of one here. You’re paying for the location and “convenience”.
If you plan on frequent trips to the airport, Eaux-Vives isn’t the most convenient location. (about 50 CHF taxi ride to GVA). Or 30-45 minute bus ride.
Not sure if you plan on getting a car (not needed really), but parking is incredibly difficult to find (relative to other neighborhoods in Geneva as parking in general in the whole city is scarce). But given that you come from BK, you’ll have no problems.

That’s all I can think of for now. But let me know if you have any questions. Feel free to PM me if need be as well.

-Wes

Hi Chris,

Welcome to Geneva! As someone who moved from NYC/NJ I’d begin by asking you to temper your expectations. There aren’t too many places like NYC/Brooklyn, and chances are Geneva will disappoint incredibly if that’s your measuring stick. Specially if you’re into the bar scene (cocktails or craft beers) as Geneva is severely lacking in that department. My wife constantly bemoans how much she misses Middle Branch in New York City.

With that said I will make a case for the neighborhood I live in and maybe people can do the same for theirs. I’ll try to spin it in a NY centric way to compare. But once again, the comparisons are merely to state it’s the Geneva equivalent. Not to say they compare.

Eaux-Vives

PROS:

Close  proximity to the Jet D’Eau/Lake/Jardin Anglais/Parc La Grange which becomes the defacto center of life during the summer.  (NYC: Central Park)

Easy access to Plainpalais which is the “College neighborhood” so lots of student bars and eateries. (Note: Don’t expect U.S College bar prices.) You’re still looking at 7-8 CHF for a pint of beer. However, in sheer numbers/concentration. You probably won’t find more bars anywhere else than in Plainpalais. So why not live there? Loud and a bit inconvenient to get to. (NYC: Greenwich Village without the excessive charm)

As expensive and mediocre the cocktails in Geneva are, two of the best cocktail bars in the city are located in Eaux-Vives (Bottle Brothers/L’Atelier). The area they’re located in has some really chill bars (my favorite being Yvette de Marseille). (NYC: L.E.S)

Close to the City Center : so quick access to the shopping, tourists, specialty shops. (NYC: Flat Iron District/Madison Square Park). Globus might as well be considered Geneva’s Eataly.

CONS:

You’re going to pay a premium in rent to live in Eaux-Vives. You could probably find an apt twice as large/new for the same price of one here. You’re paying for the location and “convenience”.
If you plan on frequent trips to the airport, Eaux-Vives isn’t the most convenient location. (about 50 CHF taxi ride to GVA). Or 30-45 minute bus ride.
Not sure if you plan on getting a car (not needed really), but parking is incredibly difficult to find (relative to other neighborhoods in Geneva as parking in general in the whole city is scarce). But given that you come from BK, you’ll have no problems.

That’s all I can think of for now. But let me know if you have any questions. Feel free to PM me if need be as well.

-Wes

CH K, Aug 20, 2015 @ 15:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

- Plainpalais

- Jonction

- St Jean

Aug 20, 15 14:56

Good reply!

Good reply!

Nir Ofek, Aug 20, 2015 @ 15:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Thank you everyone for your advice, I reallly appreciate it.  First off I completely understand that Geneva is not going to be like NYC and I have to stop thinking about it that way.  I knew that going in, although it remains hard not to compare and contrast.  

@Lukasz J Thanks for sharing that thread, very informative.  Where/are you happy in Old Town.  Walked around there the first night we were here (had dinner at Les Armures - figured fondue and wine was the right first meal) and thought it was beautiful.  

@emile harding Thanks for all the suggestions - Eaux-Vives (I think where we are staying now - we are on Rue Maunoir), Plainpalais (going there tonight for dinner/drinks to check it out and maybe Sunday for the farmers market) and Carouge (going there Friday for dinner/drinks to check it out) were all on our radar.  Thanks for suggesting the others, we will for sure check them out.  

@CH K Thanks for your insight on Eaux-Vives.  The reason I chose temp housing on Rue Maunoir is becuase of its proximity to L’Atelier and Yvette de Marseille which routinely showed up on the list of best bars when I was searching.  So far I am liking it pretty well over here - went running in the Parc de la Grange, had lunch at Coup de Girafe and yes, went to both L’Atelier and Yvette de Marseille. Going to contine to explore the neighborhood over the next month and half - any other suggestions? 

Again, thanks for all the input and would appreciate anyone else's thoughts as well.  

At the end of the day my wife and I really like hiking, skiing/snowboarding, biking and traveling so I know Geneva will offer a lot of exciting things that NYC does not, so we will be happy regardless of where we end up.  That being said, we still want to find a fun, cool area :)

Thank you everyone for your advice, I reallly appreciate it.  First off I completely understand that Geneva is not going to be like NYC and I have to stop thinking about it that way.  I knew that going in, although it remains hard not to compare and contrast.  

@Lukasz J Thanks for sharing that thread, very informative.  Where/are you happy in Old Town.  Walked around there the first night we were here (had dinner at Les Armures - figured fondue and wine was the right first meal) and thought it was beautiful.  

@emile harding Thanks for all the suggestions - Eaux-Vives (I think where we are staying now - we are on Rue Maunoir), Plainpalais (going there tonight for dinner/drinks to check it out and maybe Sunday for the farmers market) and Carouge (going there Friday for dinner/drinks to check it out) were all on our radar.  Thanks for suggesting the others, we will for sure check them out.  

@CH K Thanks for your insight on Eaux-Vives.  The reason I chose temp housing on Rue Maunoir is becuase of its proximity to L’Atelier and Yvette de Marseille which routinely showed up on the list of best bars when I was searching.  So far I am liking it pretty well over here - went running in the Parc de la Grange, had lunch at Coup de Girafe and yes, went to both L’Atelier and Yvette de Marseille. Going to contine to explore the neighborhood over the next month and half - any other suggestions? 

Again, thanks for all the input and would appreciate anyone else's thoughts as well.  

At the end of the day my wife and I really like hiking, skiing/snowboarding, biking and traveling so I know Geneva will offer a lot of exciting things that NYC does not, so we will be happy regardless of where we end up.  That being said, we still want to find a fun, cool area :)

Christopher Lee, Aug 20, 2015 @ 16:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Good luck. We moved here from NYC too. The Alpes are a very short drive from here!

Good luck. We moved here from NYC too. The Alpes are a very short drive from here!

bearded09, Aug 20, 2015 @ 18:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

@Chris, Yes. I do enjoy the Old Town, it's really lively in terms of how many restuarants / cafeterias there are. Also I love architecture of old buildings, so for me it's perfect place.

@Chris, Yes. I do enjoy the Old Town, it's really lively in terms of how many restuarants / cafeterias there are. Also I love architecture of old buildings, so for me it's perfect place.

Lukasz J, Aug 20, 2015 @ 19:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Hi Chris,

Good luck!

Viviane

Aug 20, 15 12:55

Rive droite near to the Bain des Paquis/lakeside is great. Since I moved there I like Geneve (even) more:

https://www.google.ch/maps/place/Quai+Wilson,+Gen%C3%A8ve/@46.2156621,6.1516471,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x478c6522884285e7:0xff89e0bf5683390e

Why?

Great view on Jet d'Eau and Saleve

It's close to the lake, parks and "la terrasse" (half Geneva meets there in summer to have drinks.

Also nearby

> THE "natural" swimming pool and Sauna http://www.bains-des-paquis.ch/Home.html

> the Geneva runners group meets there 3x times a week,

> Cinetranssat is in walking distance http://www.cinetransat.ch/2015/

> So is outdoor salsa http://www.gemagenda.ch/index.php?evenement=235

> The bus of the international skiclub of Geneva stops nearby: 

http://www.scig.ch/en/alpine-skiing-snowboarding/ 

> on the good side of the lake to quickly reach the station and airport 

If you decide to stay in Eau Vives (a great area as well!) try the wakeboard club:

http://www.wake.ch/en

Good luck! If you like the outdoors you will love it her!

Rive droite near to the Bain des Paquis/lakeside is great. Since I moved there I like Geneve (even) more:

https://www.google.ch/maps/place/Quai+Wilson,+Gen%C3%A8ve/@46.2156621,6.1516471,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x478c6522884285e7:0xff89e0bf5683390e

Why?

Great view on Jet d'Eau and Saleve

It's close to the lake, parks and "la terrasse" (half Geneva meets there in summer to have drinks.

Also nearby

> THE "natural" swimming pool and Sauna http://www.bains-des-paquis.ch/Home.html

> the Geneva runners group meets there 3x times a week,

> Cinetranssat is in walking distance http://www.cinetransat.ch/2015/

> So is outdoor salsa http://www.gemagenda.ch/index.php?evenement=235

> The bus of the international skiclub of Geneva stops nearby: 

http://www.scig.ch/en/alpine-skiing-snowboarding/ 

> on the good side of the lake to quickly reach the station and airport 

If you decide to stay in Eau Vives (a great area as well!) try the wakeboard club:

http://www.wake.ch/en

Good luck! If you like the outdoors you will love it her!

rena, Aug 20, 2015 @ 21:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

This thread reminds me of an old idea we had, but we never made it happen: to put together a glocals guide to Geneva neighborhoods, where people who live in each neighborhood will rate their area on a bunch of factors such as child friendly, night life scene, personal safety, etc. That could make life for new-comers a lot easier. What you guys think?

This thread reminds me of an old idea we had, but we never made it happen: to put together a glocals guide to Geneva neighborhoods, where people who live in each neighborhood will rate their area on a bunch of factors such as child friendly, night life scene, personal safety, etc. That could make life for new-comers a lot easier. What you guys think?

Nir Ofek, Aug 22, 2015 @ 13:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Splendid idea Nir, especially if it could be put on an interactive map.

Splendid idea Nir, especially if it could be put on an interactive map.

Lukasz J, Aug 22, 2015 @ 13:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Good idea Nir as I see a lot of newbies asking the very same questions over and over...

Good idea Nir as I see a lot of newbies asking the very same questions over and over...

Jeffery S, Aug 22, 2015 @ 14:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
13 Replies | 1565 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form